Eddie Singleton Passes

Andy Rix just passed on this sad news from Harry Bass.

Eddie had been living in South Africa for several years. He was most famous on our scene for his magnificent Shrine record label that created some of the most exciting, and beautiful soul music of the 1960s. Shrine has become a byword for top quality rare soul and is now spoken of in awe and affection.

I had the honour of releasing the first Shrine recordings in the UK in the mid 80s with two LPs and two singles on the Horace's label. Andy Rix researched and recorded for posterity the story of the Washington DC label that featured Ray Pollard, Eddie Daye, The Cautions, The Cairos, Shirley Edwards, The Prophets and JD Bryant among its releases. This detailed history was documented in the booklets to the two volumes of Kent CDs "Shrine: The Rarest Soul Label". The quality and rarity of the Shrine records combined to make the label a Northern Soul collector's Holy Grail.

Eddie had been a successful writer, producer and artist in the late 50s and early 60s working with Barbara Lewis, The Matadors and Marie Knight. He later wrote for Motown contributing 'Don't Bring Back Memories' for the Four Tops and composed the great Northern Soul classic 'The La Rue' for Lada Edmund Jr.

He married Berry Gordy's ex-wife Raynoma in the early 60s and she was a cornerstone of his Shrine operation being a very musically talented lady. Harry Bass was Eddie's right-hand man throughout most of his musical endeavours and contributed songs and business skills to the label.

In later years he was re-married Motown singer Barbara Randolph who pre-deceased him by about ten years. He was a warm talented man who was very happy that his commercially unsuccessful work at Shrine was eventually appreciated overseas.

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest andyrattigan

Sad News but hopefully he passed on knowing that he brought a lot of joy to people's lives with his music.

The Cautions- "No other way" and Eddie Day and the Four Bars' "Guess who loves you" are two of the best Soul records ever recorded.

RIP Mr Singleton.

Social source share

Andy Rix just passed on this sad news from Harry Bass.

Eddie had been living in South Africa for several years. He was most famous on our scene for his magnificent Shrine record label that created some of the most exciting, and beautiful soul music of the 1960s. Shrine has become a byword for top quality rare soul and is now spoken of in awe and affection.

I had the honour of releasing the first Shrine recordings in the UK in the mid 80s with two LPs and two singles on the Horace's label. Andy Rix researched and recorded for posterity the story of the Washington DC label that featured Ray Pollard, Eddie Daye, The Cautions, The Cairos, Shirley Edwards, The Prophets and JD Bryant among its releases. This detailed history was documented in the booklets to the two volumes of Kent CDs "Shrine: The Rarest Soul Label". The quality and rarity of the Shrine records combined to make the label a Northern Soul collector's Holy Grail.

Eddie had been a successful writer, producer and artist in the late 50s and early 60s working with Barbara Lewis, The Matadors and Marie Knight. He later wrote for Motown contributing 'Don't Bring Back Memories' for the Four Tops and composed the great Northern Soul classic 'The La Rue' for Lada Edmund Jr.

He married Berry Gordy's ex-wife Raynoma in the early 60s and she was a cornerstone of his Shrine operation being a very musically talented lady. Harry Bass was Eddie's right-hand man throughout most of his musical endeavours and contributed songs and business skills to the label.

In later years he was re-married Motown singer Barbara Randolph who pre-deceased him by about ten years. He was a warm talented man who was very happy that his commercially unsuccessful work at Shrine was eventually appreciated overseas.

This is sad news but I thought it was old news didn't he die last year? I may have this wrong or been mislead but I was told of his death some time ago.

Either way he eventually got the recognistion he deserved albeit very late. His story goes someway to illustrate how cut throat the business was in the 60's and how dominant the 'Big' lables were with the radio stations.

You can argue about the quality of the performances put out, the odd flat note or crack in the delivery and even that some of the arrangements were over complicated but no one can say the whole lable is not iconic, nor that many of them deserve their place as masterpeices of soul.

The fact that Caladonia Brown stayed in the can all those years is a travesty in my opinion thanks should go to Ady and everyone at Kent for bringing it and other to us all those years later.

RIP Eddie

Social source share

I wasn't sure when he died, Andy only found out from Harry this week so I left it open. I don't think we've had a tribute to him on here before have we? It was just a way of paying my respects.

I was just pointing out that it was a few months back, but you're right, I don't think it was mentioned at the time so thanks for bringing it up.

Social source share

I bet IL felt a right dick.

Belatedly RIP Eddie Singleton.

Ed

:lol: I'd say Pete was only just right of center myself ! :rolleyes::lol:

Why?

I think tomangoes was thinking along the lines of IL ringing up & saying so sorry to hear your husband has just died, to be told something along the lines of "what do you mean ? that was 8 months ago" ? :lol:

P.s.

Should add my condolences too :lol: Though expressing sadness is probably not the right thing as i didn't know him, he lived a reasonably long & fruitfull life & one that many would envy i guess, so i raise a glass instead & say thanks.

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert