Otis Lee- Hard Row To Hoe- Quaint

• Replies 16
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Will somebody be so kind and and give me a realistic price for this 45?

Also any information about the known number of copies would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gerd

Well, if you ask Simon B it'd be £50 :wicked::lol: but to anyone else probably £600-700. People have stated that this used to be a common record but probably only turns up 1-2 times a year on ebay. So is it rare or just scarce - take your pick

Sorry Simon - couldn't resist that one.

Cheers

Warren

Social source share

I think Warren is correct with his estimate of the price in the real world.

Tony: rather than a shed-load turning up I think this is more a case of it being a Soul Bowl list 45 in the late 70s and 80s. They definitely had quantity of this title and it would have been priced accordingly: probably never more than a fiver during that time.

I first heard it being played out regularly at Hyde in the late 80s. Maybe it had been tried briefly at Stafford and other venues a few years before this, because by the time it was being played concertedly Soul Bowl had definitely been divested of all their copies and the price for one at that time was already nudging £100.

A brilliant 45 which was quite mould-breaking. I think it was really instrumental in opening the doors for more Rhythm & Soul to be played up north (as opposed to just at the 100 Club). For that I'm not sure I thank it, but I can't get away from the fact that it's a great record with a strong identity and an enduring following.

Social source share

I think Warren is correct with his estimate of the price in the real world.

Tony: rather than a shed-load turning up I think this is more a case of it being a Soul Bowl list 45 in the late 70s and 80s. They definitely had quantity of this title and it would have been priced accordingly: probably never more than a fiver during that time.

I first heard it being played out regularly at Hyde in the late 80s. Maybe it had been tried briefly at Stafford and other venues a few years before this, because by the time it was being played concertedly Soul Bowl had definitely been divested of all their copies and the price for one at that time was already nudging £100.

A brilliant 45 which was quite mould-breaking. I think it was really instrumental in opening the doors for more Rhythm & Soul to be played up north (as opposed to just at the 100 Club). For that I'm not sure I thank it, but I can't get away from the fact that it's a great record with a strong identity and an enduring following.

Briefly Gareth? Was massive mid 80's for Pat Brady covered up as Lee Blackmore and the Soul Searchers. Can also think of other clubs as opposed to just the 100 Club which which were just as influential with records of this type.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

You are, as ever, correct Chalky.

Should have said it was hammered uncovered at venues like Hyde, but would have to say that PB had bigger cover-ups than this at Stafford, Junior McCants, Brilliant Korners, Danny Moore etc. spring to mind.

I would agree he had bigger records but his sets were strong throughout, every record almost a good one. Other DJ's often get mentioned before Pat from mid 80's but for me back then he had one of the best sets around.

Social source share

Briefly Gareth? Was massive mid 80's for Pat Brady covered up as Lee Blackmore and the Soul Searchers. Can also think of other clubs as opposed to just the 100 Club which which were just as influential with records of this type.

You are spot on (again) Chalky, it was Pat Brady who found/had a box of only 50 copies. That plus the maybe three /four copies that cropped up via ebay over the years and the one Lew Stanley once had (who again told me BEFORE he had that one copy he never ever had one, not even seen one...), thats about it quantitywise. I had two and sold them both at 600 UKP. Wouldn`t mind one back but will wait until the price drops (wishful thinking, eh ?)

Marc

Social source share

You are spot on (again) Chalky, it was Pat Brady who found/had a box of only 50 copies. That plus the maybe three /four copies that cropped up via ebay over the years and the one Lew Stanley once had (who again told me BEFORE he had that one copy he never ever had one, not even seen one...), thats about it quantitywise. I had two and sold them both at 600 UKP. Wouldn`t mind one back but will wait until the price drops (wishful thinking, eh ?)

Marc

It was down to around 400 few years ago, few had turned up, remember Hammie from Beds buying one at 100 Club.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Chalky i also rememder Gary Spencer coving up this one as Lee Otis Valentine.Paul Donnely should get involved here also.He once told me a story about finding a quantity at Andersons and John had no idea that it was Garys cover up.

Social source share

Chalky i also rememder Gary Spencer coving up this one as Lee Otis Valentine.Paul Donnely should get involved here also.He once told me a story about finding a quantity at Andersons and John had no idea that it was Garys cover up.

he should smudge cause i remember him telling me he had seen a pile of 10-15 copies and then told anderson it was getting plays , it went out on the next list for £50 i think

Social source share

actually it was three copies and they fell off the bottom of a pile of records I was moving to get the record player plug..

Gave them all to JA advisng him that this was a massive record etc he played it and typically said "thats shit"..we came to a deal where if he sold two of them off his list he'd give me one free of charge.

Ten mins after the list came out £100 each he rang me to ask where I'd found them.. :thumbsup: and of course 48hrs later the record arrived with a thank you letter.

I bet he found some more copies the ole bugger.

Social source share

• 10 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!