Go Go Children,bristol

spacer.gifGO GO CHILDREN FRI 18TH JAN

GO GO CHILDREN...60S SOUL,RNB,BEAT,SKA ETC...AVON COMBINED SERVICES CLUB,ST PAULS RD CLIFTON BRISTOL DJSJOHN STAPLETON,"MY FRIEND JACK" AND MYSELF 9-1AM £3OTD.....

cant wait for this,the two djs im playing alongside both have amazing collections especially when it come to rare garage,beat and psych.,rnb and northern..they have both been collecting and selling vinyl for over 30 years and have played at some top venues(john has along runnin club night at the famous thekla club on a boat) and supported many top acts....

ive yet to attend the avon services club but as its a britsh legion type club expect cheaper drinks than anywhere else in clifton !!

if this is supported hopefully it will a long runnin club nite for bristol where you will not here the same tunes everyweek but all you do hear will make you dance !

REVIEW...well as it was only a few weeks after christmas and the weather was terrible it wasnt surprising that we only had a couple of dozen people at our first night,those that did brave the wind and rain were the die hard soulie regulars and vinyl junkie friends of the djs...

the avon combined services club is situated half way down st pauls rd opposite the church about half a mile away from the trendy bars on park st,the entrance is on a side st and as matthew from glastonbury found if you blink you will miss it !...once through the side doors and down some steep stairs you find yourself in a small and very cozy bar,through a sliding door and youre onto a dancefloor maybe 20feet across with bench seats and tables at the sides.It has a nice in house sound and a great atmosphere even with only a few people.

While i stuck to rnb and northern(playlist below) john and sean(my friend jack)mixed up the northern with some rare 60s beat and mod classics,seans last set of mint stateside demos gained a bit of interest from some of the vinyl addicted djs taking breaks from the dancefloor to look on in awe at the 3 figure toons !

Everyone there had a good time and hopefully word will get around and maybe next months night on the 22 feb will be a bit better attended and we might break even!...this really is a great little club with a very cheap bar and a good landlord so this could turnout to be bristols best kept secret ! on to my playlists ...

first set..dont you wanna a man like me/little richard...nothing in the world could hurt me/buddy ace.....aint gonna cry no more/josephine taylor.....oh what heartaches/jackie day.....too hot too hold/betty everett....getting used to the blues/bobby bland.....such a pretty thing/gene chandler.....im the one to do it/jackie wilson......ill be loving you/soul brothers six......youre losing me/barbara lynn.......love is the master/bob brady......my good loving/fontella bass.....mohair sam/charlie rich.....no love/mckinley mitchell.....i cant please you/jimmy robbins.....i aint gonna cry no more/timi yuro....hey operator/the kittens....this thing called love/johnny wyatt....baby what i mean/drifters....times a wasting/fuller brothers.....where theres a will/jimmy thomas

second set...youve been gone too long/ann sexton....blowing my mind to pieces/bob relf....bye bye baby/betty everett....im so confused/marvelllows...i dont love you no more/exsaveyons....crackin up over you/roy hamilton...eyes may shine/short kutz....love is alright/cliff nobles....baby boys in love/jimmy holiday.....magic touch/melba moore.....keep on keeping on/nf porter...hold on/jackie beavers....never for me/millionairs....ill keep holding on/marvelettes....whole lot of shakin/miracles....baby you know it aint right/jr walker....dust my broom/ike and tina.....rockin good way/vernon and jewel....no more doggin/zz hill...coming home baby/mel torme....next door tothe blues/etta james....i cant rest/fontella bass

all on orignal 7" vinyl no boots !

although i dont think any soulsources were there i know there are people on here from bristol and the south west so hopefully this "blog" might bring them out to the next night on the 22nd feb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

any "locals" reading this....because of double bookings the next night at this venue will now be on sat 23rd feb then hopefully after that every third friday of the month

cheers dean

Ah this sounds good.

Been searching Google for a while to find some where like this.

Will be there for sure.

ive put a post in the events for this weekends gig but there are so many nights on it quickly gets lost !...also in the calender and a flyer is on here

ive still to get to the thunderbolt in totterdown as ive always been doing something else.,i understand all the locals are up for it(i used to live in totterdown too)...getting together is a great night ive been to their nights at the albion,il bordello and almost everyone at hush hush,i hope go go children can go for 4 years !...ive played for them 3 times and am looking forward to guesting for them at the thunderbolt next month ....theres no competition amoungst us which is great...we both want the same thing TO WAKE BRISTOL SOULIES UP !

the main difference is they have mike and steve who play modern we just focus on the 60s with some quality rnb alongside the northern,originally we were going to slip into some beat,garage and even ska but judging by last months dancefloor i dont think we will have time too much quality soul !...right or wrong you gotta do your own thing...

another difference is with the club,as the avon combined services is a members british legion the only locals are well passed dancing !..they tend to stay in the bar area leaving the music room full of people who are there especially for the music..but take full advantage of the ridiculously cheap bar

bristol is big enuff for us both and long may we continue....see you the weekend gt boys !

• 1 year later...

spacer.gifGO GO CHILDREN FRI 18TH JAN

GO GO CHILDREN...60S SOUL,RNB,BEAT,SKA ETC...AVON COMBINED SERVICES CLUB,ST PAULS RD CLIFTON BRISTOL DJSJOHN STAPLETON,"MY FRIEND JACK" AND MYSELF 9-1AM £3OTD.....

cant wait for this,the two djs im playing alongside both have amazing collections especially when it come to rare garage,beat and psych.,rnb and northern..they have both been collecting and selling vinyl for over 30 years and have played at some top venues(john has along runnin club night at the famous thekla club on a boat) and supported many top acts....

ive yet to attend the avon services club but as its a britsh legion type club expect cheaper drinks than anywhere else in clifton !!

if this is supported hopefully it will a long runnin club nite for bristol where you will not here the same tunes everyweek but all you do hear will make you dance !

REVIEW...well as it was only a few weeks after christmas and the weather was terrible it wasnt surprising that we only had a couple of dozen people at our first night,those that did brave the wind and rain were the die hard soulie regulars and vinyl junkie friends of the djs...

the avon combined services club is situated half way down st pauls rd opposite the church about half a mile away from the trendy bars on park st,the entrance is on a side st and as matthew from glastonbury found if you blink you will miss it !...once through the side doors and down some steep stairs you find yourself in a small and very cozy bar,through a sliding door and youre onto a dancefloor maybe 20feet across with bench seats and tables at the sides.It has a nice in house sound and a great atmosphere even with only a few people.

While i stuck to rnb and northern(playlist below) john and sean(my friend jack)mixed up the northern with some rare 60s beat and mod classics,seans last set of mint stateside demos gained a bit of interest from some of the vinyl addicted djs taking breaks from the dancefloor to look on in awe at the 3 figure toons !

Everyone there had a good time and hopefully word will get around and maybe next months night on the 22 feb will be a bit better attended and we might break even!...this really is a great little club with a very cheap bar and a good landlord so this could turnout to be bristols best kept secret ! on to my playlists ...

first set..dont you wanna a man like me/little richard...nothing in the world could hurt me/buddy ace.....aint gonna cry no more/josephine taylor.....oh what heartaches/jackie day.....too hot too hold/betty everett....getting used to the blues/bobby bland.....such a pretty thing/gene chandler.....im the one to do it/jackie wilson......ill be loving you/soul brothers six......youre losing me/barbara lynn.......love is the master/bob brady......my good loving/fontella bass.....mohair sam/charlie rich.....no love/mckinley mitchell.....i cant please you/jimmy robbins.....i aint gonna cry no more/timi yuro....hey operator/the kittens....this thing called love/johnny wyatt....baby what i mean/drifters....times a wasting/fuller brothers.....where theres a will/jimmy thomas

second set...youve been gone too long/ann sexton....blowing my mind to pieces/bob relf....bye bye baby/betty everett....im so confused/marvelllows...i dont love you no more/exsaveyons....crackin up over you/roy hamilton...eyes may shine/short kutz....love is alright/cliff nobles....baby boys in love/jimmy holiday.....magic touch/melba moore.....keep on keeping on/nf porter...hold on/jackie beavers....never for me/millionairs....ill keep holding on/marvelettes....whole lot of shakin/miracles....baby you know it aint right/jr walker....dust my broom/ike and tina.....rockin good way/vernon and jewel....no more doggin/zz hill...coming home baby/mel torme....next door tothe blues/etta james....i cant rest/fontella bass

all on orignal 7" vinyl no boots !

although i dont think any soulsources were there i know there are people on here from bristol and the south west so hopefully this "blog" might bring them out to the next night on the 22nd feb

Hi,

My rugby team (Sheffield Tigers) are playing at Clifton on 21 March and I was checking out any soul venues in the area for the night before and I came across 'Go Go Children'. I'm a 60s Twisted Wheel (Manchester) veteran who still attends each Friday and Sunday session so you can imagine my taste is 60s soul and RnB but I liked the look of your playlists. Is it on for Friday 20 March? Can you recommend a decent/cheap local hotel?

THanks,

Big Brett

Sheffield