An Outside View

Mike

made me smile

The tour also features the less internationally known Eddie Holman, Carl Carlton and Major Harris, whose music was popular in Northern Britain during the Northern Soul years when lesser-known artists became fashionable and clubs dedicated to the kind of music now reserved for fried chicken adverts sprung up.
Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Has northern soul ever been fashionable?

Have I ever been a style icon?

link

Just think for all these years I've been fashionable and never new it....WOW!!!!

On a more serious note. If the writer thinks that the music is now only confined to KFC ads we ought to invite him to Prestatyn or something similar.

Does he actualy realise how many people actually go to these gigs all over the country and how much money some of these records actually fetch at auction.

Think he needs to brush up on his research skills!!

Social source share

Just think for all these years I've been fashionable and never new it....WOW!!!!

On a more serious note. If the writer thinks that the music is now only confined to KFC ads we ought to invite him to Prestatyn or something similar.

Does he actualy realise how many people actually go to these gigs all over the country and how much money some of these records actually fetch at auction.

Think he needs to brush up on his research skills!!

link

Sadly the author may get real negative now....THE 70's SOUL JAM Tour is cancelled.

Social source share

Has this been confirmed?

I have heard ticket sales were "disappointing" ?

Why did the promotors take on so many venues I wonder?

wacko.gif

link

The promoter had the best intentions, I know him personally. From a professional viewpoint I believe the following points are relevant;

1. TOO MANY VENUES.

2. RETAIL PRICE TOO LOW.

3. TOO LATE IN GETTING THE TOUR PUBLICITY STARTED.

Typically, traditional areas such as Nottm, Stoke, Blackpool were good, but LLANDUDNO and HULL?

The promoter is in contact with us and hopefully we can steer him in the right direction for the future.

Kev

Social source share

Has this been confirmed?

I have heard ticket sales were "disappointing" ?

Why did the promotors take on so many venues I wonder?

wacko.gif

link

The number of venues was a excessive - but maybe the "70s" in the title put people off - it did me, didn't even bother to read the line up.

Social source share

The number of venues was a excessive - but maybe the "70s" in the title put people off - it did me, didn't even bother to read the line up.

link

Equally though "60's" might put other people off (down this way it would).

And really those "super" groups had their biggest hits in the UK in the 70's, as did Major Harris (Love won't let me wait etc). Probably best to not "decade" the flyers at all then.

Social source share

Once again Joe public tries and fails miserably to give an account of Northern soul to the great unwashed out there.In this day and age, with so much info avaliable via the net, is this rear end view of the scene acceptable,makes me sick :sleep3::) Del x

Social source share

Once again Joe public tries and fails miserably to give an account of Northern soul to the great unwashed out there.In this day and age, with so much info avaliable via the net, is this  rear end view of the scene acceptable,makes me sick :sleep3:   :) Del x

link

Well said :D

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

The tour also features the less internationally known Eddie Holman, Carl Carlton and Major Harris, whose music was popular in Northern Britain during the Northern Soul years when lesser-known artists became fashionable and clubs dedicated to the kind of music now reserved for fried chicken adverts sprung up.

===========

You can clearly spot where this promoter has gone wrong, if he/she had been more forthcoming, and used the actual name of the Fried Chicken outlet, he/she would have had a resounding success on his/her hands. Everybody trusts the Colonel and his secret array of spices, that combine to make the, oh so pleasant, tastebud friendly, chicken extravaganza, that has become synonomous with northern soul.

Still it's comforting to know that we of the northern soul persuasion, have now been indelibly etched on the psyche, of every man, woman, and child in the free world via the bargain bucket. :-)

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Everybody trusts the Colonel and his secret array of spices, that combine to make the, oh so pleasant, tastebud friendly, chicken extravaganza, that has become synonomous with northern soul.

Still it's comforting to know that we of the northern soul persuasion, have now been indelibly etched on the psyche, of every man, woman, and child in the free world via the bargain bucket. :-)

Winnie:-)

link

Not seen that one yet.  Upbeat eh..?  Yeah I guess that's true. Getting back to the KFC ads, (groan) I remember the finishg strap line 'Got Chicken Got Soul' ... got chicken got soul...?  When you've been on the floor for ages and the mood's just right and you've had a little tipple of your favourites and you dance to records that you've never heard before, but they seem familiar in a magical way.  That's the kind of thing that makes me think of soul. Not selected pieces of shaped chicken, formed and coated in a crispy batter! :sleep3:

link

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!