soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 124
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Of course its different from a reissue which comes out much later, but a second issue on a National label is a reissue (not the 'original'), Steve, no matter how you couch it.

But, as I said, I don't give a fig either way.

I'll leave the label bragging to those who feel the need.

:lol:

Sean

Don't think you'll ever understand this northern thing Sean laugh.gifwink.gif

Social source share

Don't think you'll ever understand this northern thing Sean laugh.gif:lol:

Certainly don't think I understand (or appreciate) what its become (or what some would like it to become) Steve.

Lunatics, with fragile egos and an agenda of totally misplaced pettiness, all bidding for the keys to the asylum...

...and sadly - Soul music suffers.

How does it benefit a Soul artist if, after years of neglect, his or her record finally gets a legitimate UK release... and the so called 'Soul DJ's' in this country aren't allowed to play it - to promote it?

Its infantile nonsense and I'll always be amongst the first to speak out against such childishness as its purely driven by egotism and self promotion.

Soul music DJ'ing seems to have become more of a Collectors showcase than a means of promoting the very music... that we are all supposed to love.

Fukc 'em all - the ego monsters - I don't ever want to understand such a loada baloney.

Hope you're well mate! :(

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

This record was one of the turning points for me at Wigan in 1980 - I was amazed at the stuff Richard and Sam were playing when I went back up there after a break. Always loved this one - that kind of Prelude Lester / Brown type beat, and those vocals.........a record I never tire of.......can I play it when I come up to Cambridge in May David?

Social source share

This record was one of the turning points for me at Wigan in 1980 - I was amazed at the stuff Richard and Sam were playing when I went back up there after a break. Always loved this one - that kind of Prelude Lester / Brown type beat, and those vocals.........a record I never tire of.......can I play it when I come up to Cambridge in May David?

unless i beat you to it :D ....... i play the 7 out but take the lp with me dont play it often as a pain to select the track on some decks out there....so if any one wants to check out the LP they can, but will some of the soul police know the difference between the 1st issue and the 2nd issue LP ohmy.gif

i have never seen it clear the floor :no:

Wasn't the 2nd issue LP on some tiny UK label like Timeless or something?

Problem with albums is they are quieter recordings so you have to "tweak" the controls" to get the volume and sound right......and then remember to tweak them back....:D

Social source share

Problem with albums is they are quieter recordings so you have to "tweak" the controls" to get the volume and sound right......and then remember to tweak them back....:D

LP's sound better than Carvers ,Steve ph34r.gif:no:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

unless i beat you to it :D ....... i play the 7 out but take the lp with me dont play it often as a pain to select the track on some decks out there....so if any one wants to check out the LP they can, but will some of the soul police know the difference between the 1st issue and the 2nd issue LP :D

i have never seen it clear the floor :no:

X Treat me the same way heard that out a couple of times its on that LP isnt it ? . Ace as well thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Sean, disagree with you there - it's a National release of a local release - happened all the time in the USA as you know because the locals could't manage distribution or because the national thought it had potential (or both). That's different from a reissue which is something that comes out much later in response to some sort of demand. I am sure Flanny has danced to my copy of the Ivories too. wink.gif which has far better sound on it than the Despanza release by the way.

Didnt know that about sound quality nice info. Is it a big diff? Not that Im close to a copy or so but one of the abs best track ever so fun to know.

Social source share

I've got an issue of the album on CD on Timeless. Nobody ever believes me when I tell them!! laugh.gif

Issue-schmissue, original-schmoriginal, just play good music you fooking ee-juts!!! :D:no::D

Edited by Soulsorts
Social source share

I've got an issue of the album on CD on Timeless. Nobody ever believes me when I tell them!! :huh:

Issue-schmissue, original-schmoriginal, just play good music you fooking ee-juts!!! :P:) :)

Oh hello Roger, nice to hear from you after so long.

The LP (vinyl) was reissued on Hi Hut as wiganer1 says, that's quite rare too on account of poor sales ohmy.gif Think I read it sold less than 250 copies somewhere. :lol:

Hi Simon, yes Carvers only used for "cover ups" and to save "sticky tape" and inquisitive former scholteacher DJs :(

Social source share

Both Georgia labels, Simon.

First I've ever heard of it being on there. :huh:

Afraid both have eluded me for the past 25+ years!

:(

So... who has the Rocmar copy?

:)

Sean

heh Sean

wait for it to come out on a uk issue and play it at Just Soul!! :P

that will prove your more soulful :( than us bloody nobodys :(:(

who play those dammed originals. :) spending tens of thousands to fulfil their egotistical goal.

Then the artist can pay his mortgage off with the royalties rolleyes.gif:lol:

or may have enough for a bag of Werthers (originals) :) of course then the real soul fans can know they helped in someway and saved the artist a life of pumping gas :(

ROMANCE IS NOT DEAD is it ? :(

Social source share

:lol:

Nowt wrong with playing originals, matey,....... I've got absolutely thaaaaaaaaaaazands of 'em...

...but there's nowt wrong with playing proper, kosher, reissues either.

By the way, if you don't think the playing of reissues could ever be good for an artist, you obviously missed The Tams in 1971 and Robert Knight in 1973 on Top Of The Pops...

Apart from the obvious benefits to the artist, such promotion did a helluva lot to advance Soul music, in the UK, too...

... and who could possibly argue with that? :lol:

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Me :thumbup:

Bobby Thurston died in the mid 80 didn't he?. :thumbup: And he didn't write or own the rights to "Just ask me" either.

No need for a reply, just me being mischeveous again....... :shades::D

Misinterpreted... (and you know it... :shhh: )

The question was whether anyone could argue about the fact that 'such promotion' had done a helluva lot to advance Soul music in the UK.

I dunno........... :unsure:

.......it appears there's some mischievous types who'd prefer to keep it to themselves :thumbup:

:thumbup:

Social source share

Misinterpreted... (and you know it... :thumbup: )

The question was whether anyone could argue about the fact that 'such promotion' had done a helluva lot to advance Soul music in the UK.

I dunno........... :unsure:

.......it appears there's some mischievous types who'd prefer to keep it to themselves :thumbup:

No but it's an interesting point for another thread. I mean many of the artists are dead, some people don't pay royalties on "reissues" anyway etc.....and in many (most?) cases the actual artist won't see anything from a "reissue" - the owner of the rights to the song will be more lineky to see something for their efforts, but the artist :thumbup: ? More often than not, no. So I don't think it's as clear cut a picture as you are attempting to paint. Very different in the 70s when soul was making the Top 20 on a regular basis and the UK soul scene was largely based on digging out records from the previous 5-7 years.

I am indeed mischief personified, but also probably not wrong. :shades:

Social source share

No but it's an interesting point for another thread. I mean many of the artists are dead, some people don't pay royalties on "reissues" anyway etc.....and in many (most?) cases the actual artist won't see anything from a "reissue" - the owner of the rights to the song will be more lineky to see something for their efforts, but the artist :P ? More often than not, no. So I don't think it's as clear cut a picture as you are attempting to paint. Very different in the 70s when soul was making the Top 20 on a regular basis and the UK soul scene was largely based on digging out records from the previous 5-7 years.

I am indeed mischief personified, but also probably not wrong. :D

It is an interesting point, no doubt,

So to clarify...

What you're suggesting is that because some of these artists aren't around... and only the current owner of the actual 'rights' stand to benefit, then that somehow makes it OK to veto the promotion of these reissued works?

Sorry mate, cuts no ice with me and sounds very much like an apologist argument for some kind of elitism... but hey, lets not kid each other... that's always been one of the building blocks of the scene...

...along with the actual promotion of Soul Music itself... something I've always thought we were both interested in.

To be honest, Steve, I'm surprised if you don't genuinely (privately) agree with me in every respect...

...and I reckon you really are playing the devils very mischievous advocate. :D

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

It is an interesting point, no doubt,

So to clarify...

What you're suggesting is that because some of these artists aren't around... and only the current owner of the actual 'rights' stand to benefit, then that somehow makes it OK to veto the promotion of these reissued works?

Sorry mate, cuts no ice with me and sounds very much like an apologist argument for some kind of elitism... but hey, lets not kid each other... that's always been one of the building blocks of the scene...

...along with the actual promotion of Soul Music itself... something I've always thought we were both interested in.

To be honest, Steve, I'm surprised if you don't genuinely (privately) agree with me in every respect...

...and I reckon you really are playing the devils very mischievous advocate. :D

:D

Sean

he he, where is that picture of a fish on a hook? whistling.gif

OK we're veering way off course here, but.......

If we're being honest it could equally be argued that people who insist on playing reissues in their sets play them not to promote soul music and garner sales, but simply because they don't have the originals!!! :P SOmeone on here (now who was that Sean?) said they don't tend to play recent reisues like Natural Impulse - why on earth not if it is all about promoting the music and encouraging sales? Surely plays for something like that would be genuinly promoting soul music? I'd have no qualms about continuing to play Nat Imp at the right venue at the right time.

Of course it all gets very messy when collectors are accused of "having egos" and "elitism" which are words too easily banded about these days. It cuts just as well with DJs having "excloosivs" in their box - and don't tell me you don't aspire to that Sean - I won't believe you until my copy of your Womack acetate turns up in me postbox so that I to can "promote" that particular piece of soul music to the hungry masses. :D Or failing that how about a copy for por old Tats who co-owns it possibly? :P

wink.gif

Social source share

Come of it Steve . You know you're a changed man from your Balckbeat days.

You now advocate cover-ups, secret vinyl carvers and big money record deals @ motorway services , on a somewhat frenzied path to.. Hmmm not really sure where to ?

And if you did get a copy of Seans Womack side , it would of course be a legit

release which would be frisbeed into your lock-up and forgotten about ph34r.gif:D:P

Simon

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

he he, where is that picture of a fish on a hook? whistling.gif

OK we're veering way off course here, but.......

If we're being honest it could equally be argued that people who insist on playing reissues in their sets play them not to promote soul music and garner sales, but simply because they don't have the originals!!! :thumbup: SOmeone on here (now who was that Sean?) said they don't tend to play recent reisues like Natural Impulse - why on earth not if it is all about promoting the music and encouraging sales? Surely plays for something like that would be genuinly promoting soul music? I'd have no qualms about continuing to play Nat Imp at the right venue at the right time.

Of course it all gets very messy when collectors are accused of "having egos" and "elitism" which are words too easily banded about these days. It cuts just as well with DJs having "excloosivs" in their box - and don't tell me you don't aspire to that Sean - I won't believe you until my copy of your Womack acetate turns up in me postbox so that I to can "promote" that particular piece of soul music to the hungry masses. :( Or failing that how about a copy for por old Tats who co-owns it possibly? :P

wink.gif

Ho Ho... I knew you'd bite on that bit of bait about Natural Impulse... but as I said, I've got loads of stuff that needs an airing way ahead of that (lets face it, its been well overdone for 20 odd years).

If we're talking about 'collectors' and rarities that's a different matter, but as a DJ I've always kept the two things seperate... something that many seem unable to do. We end up with Soul Nights becoming nothing more than a collectors showcase - not my idea of a good night out and nor would I consider it conducive to the promotion of the music... or of any given night - I think that style of DeeJaying is a major contributor to falling attendances everywhere.

Exclusives - always nice - but I've had my fair share of those that have gone on and sold in quantity once issued over here, so I don't see them as not contributing to promotion.

Womack acetate is a collectors piece, I've only played it out twice since we bought it and if you think I'd let the other stakeholder, Tats, have it you're having a laugh... it would be covered in Brown sauce within days :(

As for cutting you a copy... sorry, I don't have the rights, but I have been in discussion with those who do so, who knows, we might see him on TV with another hit on his hands later in the year...

... but I doubt it! :D

wink.gif

Sean

Social source share

You now advocate cover-ups, secret vinyl carvers and big money record deals @ motorway services , on a somewhat frenzied path to.. Hmmm not really sure where to ?

release which would be frisbeed into your lock-up and forgotten about ph34r.gif:thumbup::(

Simon

Do you really think he's a changed man Simon?

He certainly used to promote the whole of Soul when dejaying... but it does seem fashionable to veer more towards that rare vinyl only thing these days.

Personallly, I'd like to hear a few more new and recent CD tracks in all DJ's sets... especially at Essence etc.

What do you think?

Sean

Social source share

Certainly don't think I understand (or appreciate) what its become (or what some would like it to become) Steve.

Lunatics, with fragile egos and an agenda of totally misplaced pettiness, all bidding for the keys to the asylum...

...and sadly - Soul music suffers.

How does it benefit a Soul artist if, after years of neglect, his or her record finally gets a legitimate UK release... and the so called 'Soul DJ's' in this country aren't allowed to play it - to promote it?

Its infantile nonsense and I'll always be amongst the first to speak out against such childishness as its purely driven by egotism and self promotion.

Soul music DJ'ing seems to have become more of a Collectors showcase than a means of promoting the very music... that we are all supposed to love.

Fukc 'em all - the ego monsters - I don't ever want to understand such a loada baloney.

Hope you're well mate! :(

thumbsup.gif

Sean

:thumbup:great post :(

Social source share

Do you really think he's a changed man Simon?

He certainly used to promote the whole of Soul when dejaying... but it does seem fashionable to veer more towards that rare vinyl only thing these days.

Personallly, I'd like to hear a few more new and recent CD tracks in all DJ's sets... especially at Essence etc.

What do you think?

Sean

Steve is a changed man for sure ! Im still in shock with his fairly recent purchase of Joe Jama ! ohmy.gif

RE: legit CD tracks , of course why not ?

Simon

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Steve is a changed man for sure ! Im still in shock with his fairly recent purchase of Joe Jama ! :thumbup:

RE: legit CD tracks , of course why not ?

Simon

This debate is now a lot more interesting now we have respected collectors on both sides, rather than some poor sod (No offence intended, read on) who honestly states that he/she is a dancer who isn't interested in ovo/cd/telepathy etc and who gets told, effectively, to shut up, get their vest and bags on and jump around to the Snake, as their view "doesn't count".

And whats this "elitism" that I keep hearing about ? We're all "soulies" aren't we whistling.gif KTF etc etc etc

(PS I've seen Sean in some dodgy gear, but a vest, never, not even when old Malc Burton first took us as young things, to the Cotton Club :( )

Social source share

Ho Ho... I knew you'd bite on that bit of bait about Natural Impulse... but as I said, I've got loads of stuff that needs an airing way ahead of that (lets face it, its been well overdone for 20 odd years).

If we're talking about 'collectors' and rarities that's a different matter, but as a DJ I've always kept the two things seperate... something that many seem unable to do. We end up with Soul Nights becoming nothing more than a collectors showcase - not my idea of a good night out and nor would I consider it conducive to the promotion of the music... or of any given night - I think that style of DeeJaying is a major contributor to falling attendances everywhere.

Exclusives - always nice - but I've had my fair share of those that have gone on and sold in quantity once issued over here, so I don't see them as not contributing to promotion.

Womack acetate is a collectors piece, I've only played it out twice since we bought it and if you think I'd let the other stakeholder, Tats, have it you're having a laugh... it would be covered in Brown sauce within days :lol:

As for cutting you a copy... sorry, I don't have the rights, but I have been in discussion with those who do so, who knows, we might see him on TV with another hit on his hands later in the year...

... but I doubt it! :D

wink.gif

Sean

Get yourself to Lifeline on Saturday cos it's all right there for you to see wink.gif said the whole world is a ?????????? multi screen cinema :lol:

entertainment and education showtime and showcase, its not rocket science for gods sake

thats why the better venues are flourishing they give summatt for for everyone even tommy tanktop :P

might even mix C Coulter with Johhny Praye if my ego allows ph34r.gif along with some underplyed five pound things .

but deffo no third rate southern cd tracks dont fit mate ooooooh synths :D

give me strings n things anytime rolleyes.gif

flanny

see you at our Mecca in april :Dbeer.gif

Social source share

Get yourself to Lifeline on Saturday cos it's all right there for you to see wink.gif said the whole world is a ?????????? multi screen cinema :lol:

entertainment and education showtime and showcase, its not rocket science for gods sake

thats why the better venues are flourishing they give summatt for for everyone even tommy tanktop :P

might even mix C Coulter with Johhny Praye if my ego allows ph34r.gif along with some underplyed five pound things .

but deffo no third rate southern cd tracks dont fit mate ooooooh synths :D

give me strings n things anytime rolleyes.gif

flanny

see you at our Mecca in april :Dbeer.gif

Plenty of cheesey syths on C Coulter :lol:laugh.gif

Social source share

This debate is now a lot more interesting now we have respected collectors on both sides, rather than some poor sod (No offence intended, read on) who honestly states that he/she is a dancer who isn't interested in ovo/cd/telepathy etc and who gets told, effectively, to shut up, get their vest and bags on and jump around to the Snake, as their view "doesn't count".

And whats this "elitism" that I keep hearing about ? We're all "soulies" aren't we whistling.gif KTF etc etc etc

(PS I've seen Sean in some dodgy gear, but a vest, never, not even when old Malc Burton first took us as young things, to the Cotton Club laugh.gif )

HE WOULD'NT WEAR A VEST COS OF HIS BINGO WINGS laugh.gif NOT EVEN A CAPPED SLEEVE :D

Social source share

Just seemd a strange record to mention , and then have a go at syths .. :D

The strange world of SOUL its for me closer to my roots and fits in with my preference dont mind some synths if the vocal and electronic production are not over powering i do like ie Jerry Warren midtempo styles but seem to go cold with more uptempo crashy styles hope that makes sense unsure.gif having said that i love the rare Lust track so there are some exceptions as well :D

Social source share

Get yourself to Lifeline on Saturday cos it's all right there for you to see :lol: said the whole world is a ?????????? multi screen cinema laugh.gif

flanny

see you at our Mecca in april thumbsup.gif:D

I'm all Lifelined out, Brian, having done my 5 hour 'OVO' set last year...

Been in recovery mode ever since :lol:

Hope it goes well for you, though. A top bunch of lads involved, no doubt.

Yep - looking forward to a Beer or two... and a few tasty Southern tracks in April! beer.gif

Sean

Social source share

release which would be frisbeed into your lock-up and forgotten about ph34r.gif:D :D

Simon

Hello Simon and thank you for your contribution. wink.gif

I guess the difference is I have just about every £5 soul 45 that there is - a few I don't have I know that, but pretty much the exception these days. Hence I am cherry picking the more elusive stuff when it turns up - but only the ones I personally like. And that has meant a couple of deals at Motorway services that is true.

Have gone off that southern soul cheap production CD type of thing a bit I must admit. It may come back, but for the moment not for me, more in the soulful house bag when it comes to contemporary - but tastes change as we grow older eh?

Social source share

We end up with Soul Nights becoming nothing more than a collectors showcase - not my idea of a good night out and nor would I consider it conducive to the promotion of the music...

Sean

Now this I do agree with - quality over rarity every time. There's good rare records and good cheapos - always try and feature a bit of both and agree that some don't seem able to. Same thing with "beat", see some jiving about to horrid stuff and bigging up of DJ's that play it just because it's very fast. ph34r.gif

Now we're motoring!! :D

Social source share

Now this I do agree with - quality over rarity every time. There's good rare records and good cheapos - always try and feature a bit of both and agree that some don't seem able to. Same thing with "beat", see some jiving about to horrid stuff and bigging up of DJ's that play it just because it's very fast. :)

Now we're motoring!! :lol:

We were motoring many years ago, Steve.

Its just that some folk took the wrong turn along the way.

:g:

Sean

Social source share

I'm all Lifelined out, Brian, having done my 5 hour 'OVO' set last year...

Been in recovery mode ever since :D

Hope it goes well for you, though. A top bunch of lads involved, no doubt.

Yep - looking forward to a Beer or two... and a few tasty Southern tracks in April! :lol:

:g:

Sean

not to worry..

yeh roll on!!!!!!! will be paying attention to see if owt jumps out and bites me and i dont mean the bedbugs in the Raynscourt :D

I always settle for the variety bucket of Yarmuff :(:)

Flanny

Social source share