The Group (featuring Cecil Washington)

Zed1

• Replies 27
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know this was pressed on Soul sounds (Shock, Horror, Scandel), but out of interest what are original copies Worth..... and for that matter what are the pressings worth?..

TIA.

Lots and nowt.

Social source share

£5 - £10 and for a real one £800 - £1200 thats good days and bad hope this helps all could be M.

Last one I saw go through John Manship's auction was over £2000.

I have seen a red look alike boot, long time ago, not seen another.

The 'B' side 'Light Of Day' is as good, and worth a listen

Martyn

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

can't remember the label now. i'm sure someone had it at wigan,and was hawking it around as a canadian release. long b4 ebay and the internet.

Social source share

can't remember the label now. i'm sure someone had it at wigan,and was hawking it around as a canadian release. long b4 ebay and the internet.

The one I saw was a Red version of the Prophonics label the original is on, it had the look and feel of a look-alike boot, and the price being asked would have been a lot higher at the time (real ones were around £300 then). It was being sold by a dealer, who would have known if it had a higher value, it was not in the middle of somebodys 50 box.

Martyn

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

can't remember if it was on prophonics or not. i just presumed it was a boot as it wasn't going for big money. maybe someone can verify this(scan perhaps)!

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

Have I wrongly assumed all these years that Cecil Washington was a vocalist :thumbsup:

Martyn

no idea! i just wrongly assumed cw was vocalist doh! so who is the vocalist?

Social source share

no idea! i just wrongly assumed cw was vocalist doh! so who is the vocalist?

CW but I hear tell that on My Proposal their are two singers, but it do sound like CW is doing his own backing, if it is him singing at all?? Soul Inc is only credited to him writing the song.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Guest inspirations001

was terrific in its day, complete with that whip sound towards the end, then that great crescendo building up to the finish. didn't cecil washington think he was gonna be on totp if it scored a hit over here and was reluctant to appear on tv?

Social source share

I asked Bill (who wrote IDLTL and LOD) why the 1812 overture at the end, he said they were after a Beatles sound like Penny Lane.

Interesting, I suppose the impact of the Fab Four ran through all genres of the music industry at the time. These guys were not setting out to produce rare records, they were after a decent living and better way of life for themselves. Always strikes me as ironic that the ones that failed are the ones that succeeded over here.

Still going back to the record in question, had I bought it blind, without prior knowledge I would have played the Light Of Day side.

Martyn

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

for me it's the other side,it WAS richard searling at his best. i taped the other side just for posterity as i knew i wouldn't own the record again. i love the way on certain records the artists put EVERYTHING into it, just praying that this was the one. listen to the drummer on don varner "tearstained face", he goes mental from start to finish!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!