Belgium Popcorn Music

Guest tanga_the_indestructible

Guest tanga_the_indestructible

Don't know if there are any Belgian collectors on here, but I was wondering if anybody knew much about this music. I know it's kind of similar to northern (and also Beach music, too), but they also played ska stuff and jazz, too, but guys like Major Lance and Billy Butler were big stars in Belgium and Freddy Cousaert, the guy who brought Marvin Gaye over to live in Belgium was the owner of the Groove in Ostend, which is where it all started.

Anybody got any info? ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Don't know if there are any Belgian collectors on here, but I was wondering if anybody knew much about this music. I know it's kind of similar to northern (and also Beach music, too), but they also played ska stuff and jazz, too, but guys like Major Lance and Billy Butler were big stars in Belgium and Freddy Cousaert, the guy who brought Marvin Gaye over to live in Belgium was the owner of the Groove in Ostend, which is where it all started.

Anybody got any info?  whistling.gif

link

https://www.popcornoldies.be/htmlpaginas/ar...art_history.htm

took 5 seconds to find this on google.

WOOF!

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Thanks. I found that stuff myself already, though.  whistling.gif

I meant anyone with first hand-ish knowledge of it, really. Thanks anyway.

link

'POPCORN' is dependant more on the tempo than genre.

It ranges from Ska..Jazz..pop..R&B..cha cha...R&R...to Crooners and mid tempo soul.

The DJ's will slow down or speed up any record to turn it into what they consider to be danceable.

:huh: hope this helps.

If you have any other questions, I have many contacts in Belgium that I could relay your questions to.

best

linda

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

It ranges from Ska..Jazz..pop..R&B..cha cha...R&R...to Crooners and mid tempo soul.

The DJ's will slow down or speed up any record to turn it into what they consider to be danceable.

:huh:   hope this helps.

If you have any other questions, I have many contacts in Belgium that I could relay your questions to.

best

linda

link

hi Linda will you and Ted be at the Hideaway tonight if so see you there whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

hi Linda will you and Ted be at the Hideaway tonight if so see you there whistling.gif

link

OH yes 'We'll be there' Andrew...SEe ya tonight

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Anyone know a Popcorn record called Big Ben I've got an acetate of one with no artist listed.

link

any chance of a soundfile ady luv? :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

ohmy.gif   hope this helps.

best

linda

link

Aha. Thanks Linda, I've been trying to get my head around popcorn for a while now.

So, it's not about a particular type of music, it's about the speed and tempo.

However, undeterred by records which do not match the required tempo the DJs can whack the pitch up and down at will in order to turn any tune into a popcorn sound.

Just what the world doesn't need right now - even more mid tempo music! wicked.gif

Any chance of a popcorn top 20 or anything because nobody has been able to explain it yet and my popcorn loving mate Niamh is gonna kill me if I keep bugging her about it.

I do know that the girls and boys dance together at Popcorn clubs, touching each other like, now that's just weird!

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Aha. Thanks Linda, I've been trying to get my head around popcorn for a while now.

However, undeterred by records which do not match the required tempo the DJs can whack the pitch up and down at will in order to turn any tune into a popcorn sound.

Just what the world doesn't need right now - even more mid tempo music!  :)

Any chance of a popcorn top 20 or anything because nobody has been able to explain it yet and my popcorn loving mate Niamh is gonna kill me if I keep bugging her about it.

I do know that the girls and boys dance together at Popcorn clubs, touching each other like, now that's just weird!

link

Hi Andy

Will do all I can to help...in the near future

but i have Ted very poorly in hospital at the moment....and he is my no1 priority

best

linda

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest eedeecee

Anybody got any info? :yes:

if I remember well Freddy Cousaert was the main DJ at the Groove in Ostend, not the owner. He was famous for his unique mix of music that soon would spread to another club that would make this sound popular throughout Belgium.

As a kid I used to go to club Popcorn in Vrasene, near St. Niklaas (Antwerp) every sunday afternoon. This was around 1974, at the height of the club's popularity. Check out this link for a rare movie (with sound) of club Popcorn.

https://www.popcornoldies.com/popcorn/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=1

In the early years the DJ's played an individual choice of different styles of 50's and 60's music; Doo Wop, R&B, Tamla, Ska and Latin flavoured Jazz like Boogaloo or crazy instrumentals from the 60's like 'Quiet Village' by Martin Denny. But even tunes from Broadway shows like 'whatever Lola wants' were very popular. Each DJ was famous for his own collection of ultra rare singles. The styles may differ but there was one thing that united and defined the sound; the mid-tempo speed and the 'ambiance' (atmosphere) that each record played in a certain sequence created. DJ's pitched down those records like 'Coming home Baby' by Mel Torme to give the voice a 'negroid' feel or slow down the tempo to make it more easy to Jive to. Not Jive derived from Rock & Roll but like a mid-tempo Swing or walking tempo where the acrobatics are being changed for more stylish dancing. Belgians call this style of dancing 'soulswing'.

Popcorn is a typical Belgian phenomenon, it has nothing to do with Northern Soul or Beach Music although some records will be popular in these scenes.

Here is my Top 10 of alltime Popcorn classics, the ones marked in bold will be familiar tunes in the Northern Soul scene as well.

Jimmy Hughes -my loving time (Guyten)

Sam Fletcher -I'd think it over (Tollie)

David Coleman -drown my heart (Barrie)

Johnny Lytle -samba saravah (Solid State)

Joe Torres -get out of my way (World Pacific)

Prince Buster -dance Cleopatra dance (Blue Beat)

The Temptations -I want a love I can see (Gordy)

Mel Torme -comin home baby (Atlantic)

Edwin Starr- S.O.S (stop her onsight) (Ric Tic)

Manny Corchado -Pow Wow (Decca)

The scene flourishes even today with weekly parties where some of the premier DJ's of the scene are still playing. A new generation is also very active in the French speaking part of Belgium and that's where you can hear a slightly different version of Popcorn, the Italian/French interpretation. Less Soul music, more crooner/Cha Cha..

check out this link for the only site that's covering Belgian Popcorn. The language is Flemish but check out the charts, these speak for themselves

https://www.popcornoldies.com/popcorn/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

hope you enjoy Popcorn music even better@!

eedeecee

Edited by eedeecee
Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Just what the world doesn't need right now - even more mid tempo music! :yes:

Hi Andy

re:Just what the world doesn't need right now - even more mid tempo music! :yes:

Thats the beauty of pitch control.......I have many records that I dont slow down anywhere near as much as the Belgium jocks do...I play to suit the punters over here.

also pitching up of a boring slow record can give it just the required kick up the jacksee it needs to be danceable

best

Linda

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Just what the world doesn't need right now - even more mid tempo music! :yes:

Hi Andy

re:Any chance of a popcorn top 20 or anything because nobody has been able to explain it yet and my popcorn loving mate Niamh is gonna kill me if I keep bugging her about it

Now this is where the two scenes are the same...If I stated my top 20 popcorns, neef gave you hers & The belgian guy who's posted up his already on this thread. the top 20's would all be different...but they would all still be popcorn

a bit like asking 5 people for their top 20 northern....everyone likes what they like within their genre

best

Linda

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Blimey - that was a blast from the past.

In the intervening year and a bit I've gained in understanding under Neef's tutelage.

Well, I say I've gained in understanding, Neef's played a lot of the stuff to me and she has the unfortunate knack of knowing exactly what records will have me begging for mercy.

It usually goes something like

"(Evil glint) Haaa haaa heee heee, you'll love this Andy.... dum dum dee dum dum dum Spider in a weeeeb"

:yes:

Social source share

Guest Rowly

In the intervening year and a bit I've gained in understanding under Neef's tutelage.

Well, I say I've gained in understanding, Neef's played a lot of the stuff to me and she has the unfortunate knack of knowing exactly what records will have me begging for mercy.

"(Evil glint) Haaa haaa heee heee, you'll love this Andy.... dum dum dee dum dum dum Spider in a weeeeb"

Biting my tounge SO hard it's just come off! :D:yes::D

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

Guest NASHEE

ha ha ha.....I just love a convertee....good old neef :yes:

What about...just say so? has she got you hooked on that one too?

Biting my tounge SO heard it's just come off! :D:D:D

Spit it out Rowly

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Yeah come on Rowly spit it out!

Are you saying you don't like Popcorn or something?

Tchah. What's up, is it too darn soulful for you?

ranting_1.gif

Miss P - Just to clear up any potential misunderstandings - Niamh genuinely plays the stuff to torture me - she's proper vindictive that one.

Most people have nightmares about being eaten alive by beetle-headed monsters, or burning in the fiery pits of Hell for all eternity...

I wake up sweating and screaming after dreaming I'm locked in a padded cell with surround sound - and on the other side of a one-way mirror, Niamh, You, Jodie and Alice are DJing on rotation running a special popcorn weekender in my honour.

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest eedeecee

in addition to my previous Top 10 here's another 40 titles that make a Top 50 of my fav Popcorn tunes.

thumbsup.gif eedeecee

Jimmy Hughes -my loving time

Sam Fletcher -I'd think it over

David Coleman -drown my heart

Johnny Lytle -samba saravah

Joe Torres -get out of my way

Prince Buster -dance Cleopatra dance

Johnnie Taylor -blues in the night

Mel Torme -comin home baby

Edwin Starr- S.O.S (stop her onsight) aka Scott on swingers

Manny Corchado -Pow Wow

Lenny O'Henry -across the street

Rene Bloch -Harlem nocturne

The Mighty Marvelows -your little sister

Jackie Mittoo -El bang bang

Martini's -hung over

Luther Ingram & the G-men -I spy (for the FBI)

Googie Rene Combo -the chiller (a very short story)

Billy Larkin & the Delegates -hole in the wall

Barbara Lewis -think a little sugar

Marvin Jenkins -I've got the blues (parts 1 & 2)

Gene Chandler - you can hurt me no more / you threw a lucky punch

Sarah Vaughan -Johnny, be smart

Jimmy Foster -stranger in paradise

Oscar Brown Jr. -when Malindy sings

The funky Lloyd Price Orchestra -ooh pee day

Clyde Mc Phatter -I'll love you till the cows come home

Baby Washington -leave me alone

Dave 'Baby' Cortez -summertime cha cha cha

The Skatalites -exodus

Johnny Nash -fallin in and out of love

Red Tyler & the gyros -Junk village

Spooners Crowd -two in the morning

The Blues Busters -I won't let you go

South Central Avenue Municipal Blues Band -The soul of Bonnie & Clyde

The Temptations -I want a love I can see

The Impressions -I'm the one who loves you

Willie Bobo -Trinidad

Hank Jacobs -Heide

Andre Williams -Rip Tips (part 1 & 2)

Vernon Garrett - shine it on

Clay Hammond - dance little girl

Ozzie Torrens -ozzaboo

Cool Benny -wobble cha

Curtis Knight -voodoo woman

Little J. Hinton -let's start a romance

Hector Rivera & his Orchestra -I want a change for romance

The J's with Jamie -Yoshiko

Ramsey Lewis -China gate

The Souljers -Chinese checkers

Abbe Lane -whatever Lola wants

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

thumbsup.gif

Miss P - Just to clear up any potential misunderstandings - Niamh genuinely plays the stuff to torture me - she's proper vindictive that one.

I think you might well be a closet popcorn lover..?

Most people have nightmares about being eaten alive by beetle-headed monsters, or burning in the fiery pits of Hell for all eternity...

I wake up sweating and screaming after dreaming I'm locked in a padded cell with surround sound - and on the other side of a one-way mirror, Niamh, You, Jodie and Alice are DJing on rotation running a special popcorn weekender in my honour.

:rolleyes:

Good god man....that would be heaven... :lol:

spit it out..........I meant his tongue

Social source share

Guest Rowly

thumbsup.gif

:lol:

Ah! - you see when I see / hear the dreaded word "popcorn" I automatically get a mental image / sound of the "..cha cha...R&R...to Crooners and mid tempo soul ...." that has taken over the mod scene in the last few years under the guise of R&B ..... which to be quite frank does NOTHING for me whatsoever - except perhaps make me want to leave the room screaming, and wanting to commit murder on the person playing it! :lol:

Was this the sort of stuff played at Midnite Town at on Sat? :rolleyes:

Social source share

Ah! - you see when I see / hear the dreaded word "popcorn" I automatically get a mental image / sound of the "..cha cha...R&R...to Crooners and mid tempo soul ...." that has taken over the mod scene in the last few years under the guise of R&B ..... which to be quite frank does NOTHING for me whatsoever - except perhaps make me want to leave the room screaming, and wanting to commit murder on the person playing it! :rolleyes:

Was this the sort of stuff played at Midnite Town at on Sat? thumbsup.gif

NO..................

Social source share

Guest Rowly

Glad to hear it Martin! Care to let on what sort of stuff was? Cos that's what I was envisaging the sort of sounds to expect from the flyer. thumbsup.gif

Not seen any playlists yet.

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

in addition to my previous Top 10 here's another 40 titles that make a Top 50 of my fav Popcorn tunes.

thumbsup.gif eedeecee

Jimmy Hughes -my loving time

Sam Fletcher -I'd think it over

David Coleman -drown my heart

Johnny Lytle -samba saravah

Joe Torres -get out of my way

Prince Buster -dance Cleopatra dance

Johnnie Taylor -blues in the night

Mel Torme -comin home baby

Edwin Starr- S.O.S (stop her onsight) aka Scott on swingers

Manny Corchado -Pow Wow

Lenny O'Henry -across the street

Rene Bloch -Harlem nocturne

The Mighty Marvelows -your little sister

Jackie Mittoo -El bang bang

Martini's -hung over

Luther Ingram & the G-men -I spy (for the FBI)

Googie Rene Combo -the chiller (a very short story)

Billy Larkin & the Delegates -hole in the wall

Barbara Lewis -think a little sugar

Marvin Jenkins -I've got the blues (parts 1 & 2)

Gene Chandler - you can hurt me no more / you threw a lucky punch

Sarah Vaughan -Johnny, be smart

Jimmy Foster -stranger in paradise

Oscar Brown Jr. -when Malindy sings

The funky Lloyd Price Orchestra -ooh pee day

Clyde Mc Phatter -I'll love you till the cows come home

Baby Washington -leave me alone

Dave 'Baby' Cortez -summertime cha cha cha

The Skatalites -exodus

Johnny Nash -fallin in and out of love

Red Tyler & the gyros -Junk village

Spooners Crowd -two in the morning

The Blues Busters -I won't let you go

South Central Avenue Municipal Blues Band -The soul of Bonnie & Clyde

The Temptations -I want a love I can see

The Impressions -I'm the one who loves you

Willie Bobo -Trinidad

Hank Jacobs -Heide

Andre Williams -Rip Tips (part 1 & 2)

Vernon Garrett - shine it on

Clay Hammond - dance little girl

Ozzie Torrens -ozzaboo

Cool Benny -wobble cha

Curtis Knight -voodoo woman

Little J. Hinton -let's start a romance

Hector Rivera & his Orchestra -I want a change for romance

The J's with Jamie -Yoshiko

Ramsey Lewis -China gate

The Souljers -Chinese checkers

Abbe Lane -whatever Lola wants

My top 20.........Proper popcorn.....from my collection

Most of these would be totally un acceptable to British ears.

Apart from Alice & Bob...their ears have dual nationality...like mine

1. Marga benitez - geechie goomie

2. Barbara simpson - waiting for my baby, baby

3. Sparks of rhythm - handy man

4. Bill Johnson - travelling stranger

5. Bruce cloud - let me come back home

6. Carl stevens - call of the jungle

7. Nino Rienzi - Persian king

8. Clark Richard - come home

9. Don Crawford - youre gone

10. Everett mills- my vision

11. Frankie laine - kisses that shake the world

12. gene Pitney - the bosses daughter

13. jerry goldsmith - you gotta let me go

14. jesse willians - tender words

15. ken Karen - nature boy

16. len Watson - dancing with your memory

17. lions - girl of the world

18. micky Wilson - I just don't understand

19. nat wright - fantasy

20. paul rogers - four & 20,000 kisses

Social source share

Manny Corchado, Hector Rivera, Sam Fletcher!!!! If these are popcorn I'm booking my hovercraft to Ostend this weekend. I knew about 25% of the top 50 favourites and must say I love 'em. Could I be really cheeky and ask if anyone has a CD of classic popcorn stuff especially some of dem cooool lateeen tooons. I can trade some RnB. latin compilations in exchange or, if I really have to, pay hard wonga.

Peace and love

Warrenito Boogalooimenez

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Manny Corchado, Hector Rivera, Sam Fletcher!!!! If these are popcorn I'm booking my hovercraft to Ostend this weekend. I knew about 25% of the top 50 favourites and must say I love 'em. Could I be really cheeky and ask if anyone has a CD of classic popcorn stuff especially some of dem cooool lateeen tooons. I can trade some RnB. latin compilations in exchange or, if I really have to, pay hard wonga.

Peace and love

Warrenito Boogalooimenez

very highly recomended

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pete-Terrace-King-Of...1QQcmdZViewItem

bargain too

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Linda and Ted who sang......BIG BEN..........well known soul singer ..it escapes me

it escapes you.....because nobody knows....only ady

Social source share

Guest eedeecee

Manny Corchado, Hector Rivera, Sam Fletcher!!!! If these are popcorn I'm booking my hovercraft to Ostend this weekend.

boogaloo!

if you want to experience the 'real Popcorn' sound where all these goodies are being played save your pennies and try to make it to Belgium on August 14th. Out of the hundred Popcorn parties around Belgium every weekend this is the only one that counts... 800 punters in a huge club with Jeff Callebaut and Andre Seymus on the wheels of steel. These are two DJ's who originated the Popcorn sound and they still play those tunes...You won't be disappointed!

moustachemei.jpg

Willy's Moustache

Mechelse Steenweg 302

2830 Willebroek

https://www.willysmoustache.be/

DJ's : Jeff & Andre

what R&B do you have for trading?

eedeecee whistling.gif

Edited by eedeecee
Social source share

Guest Andy BB

it escapes you.....because nobody knows....only ady

It is a well known singer though. Well in as much as every time you hear it you are left thinking, God, I know who that is...

Spent seven years listening to it one afternoon trying to suss out who it was.

I'm not sure Ady actually knows does he?

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

i attended the popcorn specials that joe dutton (pikeys dog) helped arrange at sheridans a few years back. i remember it being attended by quite a few from belgium with some of them dj'ing. I nearly got thrown out the door for asking about rare ferrer rocher packaging :D

for me the majortity of stuff played wasn't my cup of tea with some of it being nothing but weird. however, every half hour or so you would hear some incredible mid-tempo, big voiced, big production stuff.

i also remember a screen behind the dj booth showing footage from a popcorn event in belgium. totally different to a uk event with all the guys dancing with the gals :Dthumbsup.gif

Shane

Social source share

• 7 years later...

Anybody got any info? ranting_1.gif

This is a great video.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

boogaloo!

if you want to experience the 'real Popcorn' sound where all these goodies are being played save your pennies and try to make it to Belgium on August 14th. Out of the hundred Popcorn parties around Belgium every weekend this is the only one that counts... 800 punters in a huge club with Jeff Callebaut and Andre Seymus on the wheels of steel. These are two DJ's who originated the Popcorn sound and they still play those tunes...You won't be disappointed!

Willy's Moustache

Mechelse Steenweg 302

2830 Willebroek

https://www.willysmoustache.be/

DJ's : Jeff & Andre

I live about 1 km from Willy's Moustache and will be there this Thursday, the real guru for Popcorn is and will always be Gilbert Govaerts, he brought Major Lance over to Belgium, plus a whole load of others in the early seventies.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!