Soulful Shack, Culcheth Nr Warrington

What a great night - Mike and Steve set out to do something a bit different here playing early 60s, RnB and lesser played Northern and achieved just that. Great tunes from all the djs with a good number that were new to me. Spoke to loads of people and didn't meet one who hadn't enjoyed themselves. Closest I've felt to the 'good old days' for quite some time. This has got the potential to be something very special. Can't wait for the next one.

• Replies 36
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

We braved the weather to travel from the west mids to steve & mike's 1st night and we not disappointed, great room, all dj's played what they wanted and it was the business. Top tunes, great sized dance floor, friendly people, everyone enjoying themselves and we were not the furtherest travelled, 1 dj had travelled from Gloucester!!! They did well considering how many other venue's were on last night.

A big WELL DONE LADS, from Jane & Taf, see you next month.

Well done Mike & steve, glad it went well for you - all the best :rolleyes:

Thanks mate , Im coming over to your do tonight and bringing the wife! ( well at least I've gor a lift home )

Steve

Stevie thanks for the comments

It was a top night and me and Mike would like to really thank everyone who made the effort to come to what was an unknown venue.

Ezzie, Stuart and Mike W all did top spots and thanks guys really really appreciated

To everyone who came listened, danced and had a good time again thank you very much the weather could have put a lot of people of but you all made the effort.

The venue is really good, the fact that the lighting can be changed anywhere in the room means we can get the atmosphere just as we want it and the dance floor is crackin. It has the potential to be a really special place

So lets get the word out and turn this from a good venue to a great one

Next month we have Mark Bicknell, Taf from the West Midlands and Pete Griffin from Wales who will all be delivering 60s Soul, R&B, and Popcorn. So if thats your thing come and give us a go you wont be disappointed

Hello all. Mike here, just adding my tuppence worth, adding to Ste's comments earlier. To say thanks to everyone, especially Mike Warburton, Ezzie and Mally(Stu).A pleasure having you play your "thang"!!

To ,reitorate what was said last night, Thankyou all for supporting us ...and thankyou to the positive responses both last night and here on soulsource. A couple of people said that they had a good feelin about this venue, with the music we played and the feel of the place...We hope the feelin comes through in reality...as we feel the same way.

Steve and I were thrilled people enjoyed themselves, and the music offered. Our only wish is we can tempt a few more of you over next time, adding to the great atmosphere, and crowd we hosted on friday night.

Again thankyou.....you may not please all the people all the time...but you can have fun trying...and that's what we're all about. Mike.

We braved the weather to travel from the west mids to steve & mike's 1st night and we not disappointed, great room, all dj's played what they wanted and it was the business. Top tunes, great sized dance floor, friendly people, everyone enjoying themselves

Thanks Jane and Taf, lookin forward to seeing you again, and having you do your thang or thangs. I believe Jane is up for a spot also. Thankyou for comin, as there were options a lot closer to home for you..we're just really pleased you enjoyed it!!! SPREAD THE WORD Mike

What a great night - Mike and Steve set out to do something a bit different here playing early 60s, RnB and lesser played Northern and achieved just that. Great tunes from all the djs with a good number that were new to me. Spoke to loads of people and didn't meet one who hadn't enjoyed themselves. Closest I've felt to the 'good old days' for quite some time. This has got the potential to be something very special. Can't wait for the next one.

Thanks for all your positive remarks Stevie...please keep comin, and spread the word...by the way,in case you forgot again......LITTLE JOE COOK WITH THESE TEARS FURY. LOL'S Mike.

We braved the weather to travel from the west mids to steve & mike's 1st night and we not disappointed, great room, all dj's played what they wanted and it was the business. Top tunes, great sized dance floor, friendly people, everyone enjoying themselves

way hay, just seen the photies!!!

way hay, just seen the photies!!!

Bloody hell I need to lose weight

Ezzie looks like he's gonna get crushed between us!!!!!!!!

Well Guys... What can I say, other than Well Done!! :thumbsup: I'm so really chuffed for you both that the first one seems to have set a precedent for what could turn into a new, first class 'In your face & Out from the Left Field' leading venue in the north west!! Full respect, and hat's off to you for taking such a bold step... and seeing it through to fruition. I gave up after my first attempt - couldn't handle the wear and tear (due to all the associated worry and stress) from biting me fingernails ... just didn't know when to stop! :thumbup: My thoughts were with you both as I readied myself to journey to the next stop off point on my 'quest' - Lifeline, as you were aware.

Looking forward to seeing the pair of you at the next one (hopefully before) - promises to be a cracker with the planned line-up. Even more so... looking forward to your April gig - when I get my chance to unleash some lesser known/played, ear pleasing, feet moving toons!

10/10 you two! :unsure::rolleyes:

glad all enjoyed it, i did , really good crowd lookin for something a bit different, smashin little venue.thanks for assistance on the deck lads, be happy to do it again if asked biggrin.gif recommend this night out to anyone with an open mind on early 60s music, u would think the lads had been running it for years............well done!!!!! ezzie ps someone on this thread has described me as a dj, bit premature i think ohmy.gif

sorry about the lateness,but am absolutely knackered from hard but amazing weekend,my big night

out was to be Sheffield :thumbsup: ....so i will travel over to this new one Warrington "soul shack" as they were playing my kind of music,will have a nice easy one,how wrong was i ohmy.gif !!!!...soon as i walked in,i was hit by a great atmosphere,and then the music :ohmy: .....it was fantastic,hard R&B,60,s Soul, and 90% i had never heard before it was superb,and of course i dance all night,so there goes my easy night.Waiting for the Next :lol:

Thanks Jane and Taf, lookin forward to seeing you again, and having you do your thang or thangs. I believe Jane is up for a spot also. Thankyou for comin, as there were options a lot closer to home for you..we're just really pleased you enjoyed it!!! SPREAD THE WORD Mike

Hi Mike & steve, me & Taf looking forward to the next 1, and Taf busy sorting what he's going to play. Also a big thanks for letting me have a little spot to in April. :thumbup:

We took a load of your flyers to nuneaton with us and put them around the room, so east midlands now know of you!!!

If your going bidds, see you there.

Jane

............well done!!!!! ezzie ps someone on this thread has described me as a dj, bit premature i think

==============================================================================

Id be surprised if you where,nt a DJ Ezzie 95% of soulies seem to be these days biggrin.gif:D

Take all the Dj,s out of Soul nites and the bloody places would be empty :thumbup::yes:

Well done everyone glad it went well. Hoping to get to your next nite.

Anyone got any playlists.

Thanks Sharon

Sharon, in with all the excitment of it being our first do, and all. We didn't log the playlist. Something which we hope to rectify on the next do!! What i will do though is list some below which i,(Mike), played, in no particular order. Then perhaps Ste will follow suit!!!....who knows?

A house by the side of the road Arthur Prysock Old Town

Sugar Dumpling Sam Cooke R.c.a

Ask me no questions Eddie Armen Capitol

You're too much a part of me Patti Austin Coral

You Can't go Lonnie Lester Nu-tone

These lonely tears Little Joe Cook Fury

Reaching for the moon Nellie Lutcher Melic

Can't you tell him no sometimes Jay Miller Capitol

Third window from the right Dean Barlow Lescay

The wild ones J T Carter Decca

Love has passed me by Phil Terrel Carnival

I've given(all my love) Patti Austin Coral

You ought to see my baby Jimmy Washington Back Beat

Hey girl, do you love me Timothy Wilson Veep

Brown eyes Young Jessie Vanessa

I hope that they, alone, Whet your whistle Sharon.

Our next one is;

Fri 7th March 8 til 1 ish.

Mark Bicknell

Pete Griffin

Taf

Steve(resident)

Mike(resident).

you like???

Edited by posstot

Well done everyone glad it went well. Hoping to get to your next nite.

Anyone got any playlists.

Thanks Sharon

Sharon you wanted to know what I played on Friday so here goes ( not in order of play )

Jimmy Robins - Waiting on you - 20th Century

Richard Moorehead - Dont try to use me - Aura

Billy Washington - You left me something to remember you by - Bethlehem

Demetriss Trap - Let go of my Heart - Brunswick

Jeff Hunter - Man of Stone - Camay

Zabethe Wild - Oh What a feeling - Capitol

Eugene Church - Miami - Class

Emil Oconnor - Some of your lovin - Columbia

Susan Rewis - They say you found a brand new baby - Columbia

Big Joe Turner - Packin Up - Coral

Derek Martin - Daddy Rollin Stone - Crackerjack

Jay Lewis - Love is real - DRA

Marie adams - Thats the way to get along - Encore

Roy Hamilton - Earthquake - RCA

Obrey Wilson - Thats where lonesome lives - Liberty

Clay Hammond - My baby left me crying - Galaxy

Persians - Gee what a girl - Gold Eagle

LLoyd Price - have you ever had the blues - HMV

Eddie Curtis - Those foxes and pussycats - Josie

Matadors - You'd be crying too - Keith

Eugene Church - Pretty baby wont you come back home - King

King Solomon - Seperation - Mader-D

Let the fool kiss you - Velvets - Monument

Tony Williams - twenty Four Lonely Hours - Philips

Bobby Bell - Drop me a line - RCA

JJ barnes - She aint ready - Ring

Lenny Miles - In between tears - Scepter

Chico Vance - Ghost of your love - Stacy

Jackie Shane - Comin Down - Sue

Eddie & Twilights - Running round Town - Swan

Shockettes - Hold back the tears - Symbol

Gene Allison - Hey Hey I love you - Vee Jay

Irene Reid - The Funny thing about it - Verve

We will get all the DJs to keep their playlists in future but hope this is enough to give you an insight into the sort of music you will hear :thumbsup:

Steve

Blimey... loads there I don't know!

Glad it was a good night for you's... will be along for sure... in April hopefully :thumbsup:

i played .............i think, these............

no particular order

BULLDOZER>>>LES DE MERLE >>>TOURNAMENT

LOVE ANOTHER GIRL>>>HAL MILLER & RAYS>>>AMY

WADE IN THE WATER >>ANGELIC CHOIR>>>SAVOY

SPANISh LOVE>>>SWINGING HEARTS<<

LOVE TALK>>>AUGUSTUS ROBINSON>>>SUPERIOR

IS THERE

A MAN IN THE HOUSE>>> LILLIAN BRIGGS >>>CORAL

BIG CHIEF>>>YOUNG JESSIE >>>MERCURY

ILL GET HIM BACK>>>TERRIFICS>>>DIAMOND JIM

LOVE ME>>>NICKI ROBINS>>>STRAND

MR BLUE>>>MICKY DENTON>>>AMY

TEN GOOD REASONS>>>MIAR DAVIES>>>UK DECCA

EZZIE

So pleased this first event went well, really looking forward to coming down in March, not sure if I can go down the R'n'B route anymore as what I did have has pretty much been sold on, still have a few tasty odd ball tunes which will be a joy to play and I'm sure will hit the spot on what you are trying to do at the venue, been pulling a few new records together over the past few weeks which will sit well in the DJ boxes, see you in a few weeks.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

So pleased this first event went well, really looking forward to coming down in March, not sure if I can go down the R'n'B route anymore as what I did have has pretty much been sold on, still have a few tasty odd ball tunes which will be a joy to play and I'm sure will hit the spot on what you are trying to do at the venue, been pulling a few new records together over the past few weeks which will sit well in the DJ boxes, see you in a few weeks.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Thanks Mark, looking forward to having you sir. Hey, quality 60's soul is what you have plenty of Mark..we're not all about RnB....doesn't have to be rare as RHP, just quality 60's. I think Ezzies Spot could switch the RnB button back though, a blinding spot, as was everyones. According to all who sailed in her!!! Hopefully Mark, all who are on will prick your ears up more often than not.

Got Dave(The Teacher)Rimmer on in May..the 2nd, which is turning out to be a triple birthday celebration...Dave himself, yours truly(actually the 4th mine) and a gent by the name of Steve Crooks who is gonna do a wee spot also.

Just hope we can fulfill the promise the venue holds....Mike.

no particular order

IS THERE

EZZIE

Thanks for that ezzie...am chasing a mickey denton at the mo!!! ssshhhhh!

A Quality spot mate.............Hands up whose got any of them??........ me neither

I want to know are you going to wear that red frilly shirt that Anita made when you went to the US with your Dad.

She says she would be really pleased to see you in it :thumbup:

Dont forget to give me a bell and I will pick you up

See ya in a couple of weeks

Hi Guys

Thanks for putting your play lists up, just wanted an idea what you played although there are quite a lot that I dont know, which isnt a bad thing.

See you in March.

Sharon

Hey Sharon..Everyone! who came in Feb told us this was a good thing...and even the not known stuff got dancefloor reaction...it's how it moves you!!..Looking forward to seeing you in March....

....does the stuff you do know float your boat, or does it not!! Mike

What a top night this was- feels like a life time ago now ,can't waite for the next one, it's been a long time since i've felt this kind of excitement waiting for the next night to come around - great sounds i've not heard before,keep up the good work Mike and Steve

Lorna

no particular order

IS THERE

EZZIE

===============================================================================

Some nice tunes there mate love the Terrifics and thats one you dont see knockin about Ten good reasons --Decca

wonder if it got a US release ?

x Ian

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Just wondering if there is any demand for the King Soloman on Mader-d. I was considering to auction it. Any info appreciated!

Sharon you wanted to know what I played on Friday so here goes ( not in order of play )

We will get all the DJs to keep their playlists in future but hope this is enough to give you an insight into the sort of music you will hear :thumbsup:

Steve

Hi,

Just wondering if there is any demand for the King Soloman on Mader-d. I was considering to auction it. Any info appreciated!

hi mate ezzie or rictic_ezzie here.i bought quite a few off you over the years, sorry i dont know it,cant remember it.soundfile might make me make an offer, cheers ezzie

hi mate ezzie or rictic_ezzie here.i bought quite a few off you over the years, sorry i dont know it,cant remember it.soundfile might make me make an offer, cheers ezzie

Ezzie

Thats because I played it !!!

Cheers

Steve

Hi,

Hi, I actually buy quite a bit of your site, there cant be many people you post to in Matlock England, so hopefully you can work it out.

I have been playing King Solomon for a while but as for demand, no nothing great as far as I am aware but I will keep on plugging away and you never know

Cheers

Steve