Dkof - Pauls 50ish Birthday Bash

Surprised no one's started this thread yet but here goes. Had to travel up on me own as Geoff's foot was hurting, Steve forgot he had his daughter for the weekend and Karen felt ill (is it me? :thumbsup: ). Anyway got there for the last 15 mins of Tommy Potts spot and was kicking myself for not getting there earlier. What I caught was great but everyone said he played a blinder. Shame he's not UK resident anymore. Loads of people there (too many to mention) and a really nice atmosphere all night.

Musically I found this DKOF the most varied from all the ones I'd been to before - loved Paul's Torch tribute (his mate's speech had me thinking I was at a wedding tho'. First time I'd ever heard John Manship dj so didn't know what to expect from him. Very eclectic set of 60's and 70's tunes most of which I'd never heard before (although the Tommy Ridgely and Vikki Styles were awesome - the thing is he played some right blinders but I thought there's no point asking him whether any of them were available laugh.gif . Funny thing was the one I did ask him about turned out to be one I already have - not the side I usually play I might add. Ray finished off the night with an excellent set of dancers including one that had virtually everyone up asking 'what's that one'. Something for everyone and more dancefloor action than before.

All in all a great night and one that I hope to catch next time as Kitch is playing and the last time he played DKOF it was probably one of the best spot's of 2007.

Well done to Paul, Mick D and Ray and for finding at short notice - what is probably the most tricky venue in the UK to find.

Warren

• Replies 36
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest gordon russell

we had a top night at the dkof ....we always have a top night when we go out. really nice tunes for all musical tastes.the only down side to spoil the night was that stain on the wall by the bar......knew it would :thumbsup:

hi paul , so so sorry we did not make last night , vicky and my self both badly, flu, colds and god knows what , hope you had a great night , we were so much looking forward to it , anyway see you soon i hope , someware, back to the tablets and bed , yours john and vicky .

For those that managed to find Ebeneezers..thanks for coming it was a great night

Together the raffle raised £200ish which will be donated to the Sue Ryder Hospice and the dkof coffers to ensure we continue to attract the uk's finest proper vinyl collectors.

Apologies to everyone for my behaviour last night, I guess I should start practising "sorry Ive already got a pint" by 10pm I had gone.

Big thrill for me was Terry and Sally Tibbs turning up, they reminded me that they took me to my first ever all nighter in 72, then the old gang turned up at 9pm and we had a ball talking about old times etc.

Sorry to Macca I taped the night for you but pressed the pause button instead of the record button, and Manny..."Hi Paul I'm outside the Dog in a doublet where are you?" :thumbsup:

Considering that Wed afternoon we didn;t have a venue its testament to what we are trying to do that Friday was such a great success.

We now need to find another venue, any ideas guys???

Once again a great night at the DKOF, it was real nice to see so many turn out for Pauls birthday bash and despite the disruption earlier in the week was a relief to see the night progress without a hitch. However the night wouldn't have been the success it was without the efforts of many .....and I think on this occasion a few thank you's are in order ...

Firstly thanks to all those that turned up, joined in the fun and made it such a top night

Thanks also to the guest DJ's, Tommy Potts and John Manship for playing some top quality music

Special thanks to the Staff at Ebeneezers for throwing us a lifeline at short notice when all seemed doomed.

Thanks to all the people who actively got involved in spreading the word regarding the venue change

and finally big thanks to Paul for pulling this all together, quite simply with out him it wouldn't have happened

Cheers

Our next night is booked in for the 4th of April with Kitch and Mick H, and if the last time Kitch played the DKOF is anything to go by it will be an absolute blinder ..... Only issue is where will it take place? rest assured we will be working hard over the next couple of weeks to secure a suitable venue and will let you know where that is as soon as we have something sorted.

Edited by MickD
Guest andycambs

Had a great night, just caught the end of Tommy's set but liked what was played and that kind of set the tone for the rest of the night, not a bad tune played imo, nice venue and good to see so many there. Thanks to all concerned and looking foward to the next one, where ever it is.

Andy

Guest smudgesmith

Once agin the "Dick off" boys struck gold as always.I know im Peterborough born and dragged up and a wee bit biased,but well done Big Don, Little Don and Ray,not forgetting Manny and Tommy (Ady you have taught the boy well)tremendous tunes one and all.

Once agin the "Dick off" boys struck gold as always.I know im Peterborough born and dragged up and a wee bit biased,but well done Big Don, Little Don and Ray,not forgetting Manny and Tommy (Ady you have taught the boy well)tremendous tunes one and all.

Have to echo everyone elses comments thanks paul for the invites we had our own little party in the corner :lol::yes::shhh: (sore heads all round today).

DKOF it certainly was , and so so nice to hear "caught you in a lie" havent heard it played out for such a long time ,and as always great stuff from ALL the Jocks.

Steve

Guest stivessoulie

wink.gif Thanks from me and Sue too, we had a good night as usual but Becs was sad to have had to miss it.

Great music, good friends and we really liked the venue rolleyes.gif

See you all again next time smile.gif

Gill x

biggrin.gif Paul, thanks for your warm welcome and a great night that made the journey from Gillingham well worth it.

I was particularly impressed by all of the sets from the residents - which just goes to show the quality of this night. :thumbsup:

I guess I'll have to be back for more. Might book a different B&B though, 'cos by the time I got tucked up in bed with Donna she'd lost a lot of her passion - despite the extra chilly sauce.

-Kev.

"CREAM CRACKER" 22nd March Rothwell Town FC, Rothwell, KETTERING

£4 OTD. 7.30-1.00 DJ's - Mark D, Kevin Kent, Trev Davison, John McDade, Kev Such.

Edited by KevinKent

For those that managed to find Ebeneezers..thanks for coming it was a great night

Together the raffle raised £200ish which will be donated to the Sue Ryder Hospice and the dkof coffers to ensure we continue to attract the uk's finest proper vinyl collectors.

Apologies to everyone for my behaviour last night, I guess I should start practising "sorry Ive already got a pint" by 10pm I had gone.

Big thrill for me was Terry and Sally Tibbs turning up, they reminded me that they took me to my first ever all nighter in 72, then the old gang turned up at 9pm and we had a ball talking about old times etc.

Sorry to Macca I taped the night for you but pressed the pause button instead of the record button, and Manny..."Hi Paul I'm outside the Dog in a doublet where are you?" :thumbsup:

Considering that Wed afternoon we didn;t have a venue its testament to what we are trying to do that Friday was such a great success.

We now need to find another venue, any ideas guys???

Hi Paul sorry we didn't make it Friday. only got as far as Thrapston and the car broke down. Got it going with the aa after a good hr wait sad.gif and decided to head home.

Glad all went well and lots of dosh for a good cause. We are going through a hard time at the mo With Lisa's mum so know what a brill job the hospice's do.

Keep us posted about the new venue.

Happy Birthday (belated) Kimbo & Lisa.

As ever, a great night at DKOF!! All credit to Mick, Paul and Ray for relocating at such short notice!

Good mix of music, Tommy was on playing some aggresssive soul when I got there and I wish I'd heard the whole set. Paul's Torch hour went down well and, not for the first time, Ray finished off in style playing some early uptempo records... best set I've heard from him! :thumbsup:

I think a few of us actually preferred this venue to the original one, and IMHO it did better justice to the quality sound system.

Guest smudgesmith

A size 14 black leather jacket with an unopend pakt of ribbed condoms in the pocket was found in the ladies toilets at Ebs sat morning by the cleaners any takers :thumbsup:

Pm or email me PaulDonnellyBP@aol.com with the make and its yours.

Are the condoms XXL ?

Guest gordon russell

No problem Mick.

After several years of amusing banter you've just gone under that imaginary etiquette line, I really hope you get everything you want from your intrusion into others evenings.

For the very last time cya.

Ps the Jacket :ohmy: has been reloacted guys...

now stop causing trouble paul...... I dunno you've just come on the soul scene last wednesday and you think you know it all lol

Nick, I don't do arguments anymore mate. He came he saw and he left... :lol:

nope, not left, but will adhere to the mods' request.

life is too short :thumbsup:

oh, and i do apologise if my comments offended anyone

never mean to offend unless i actually write something offensive.

Been asked to post up my playlist, so here you go...

FOUR TRACKS - LIKE MY LOVE FOR YOU - MANDINGO

SENSATIONS - DEMANDING MAN - WAY OUT

TONY DANIELS - I WON'T CRY - BEVAL

FOUR ANDANTES - HIPPER, THAN ME - MO DO

MOMENTS - BABY I WANT YOU - HOG

DEVOTIONS - DO DO DE DOP - NATION

APPRECIATIONS - IT'S BETTER TO CRY - SPORT

STARTONES - LOVIN' YOU BABY - BILLIEFRAN

BROWN BOMBERS & SOUL PARTNERS - WAIT FOR ME - AMAZING

JIMMIE RAYE - PHILLY DOG AROUND THE WORLD - KKC

RE-VELLS - I WANT A NEW LOVE - TRENT TOWN

TONY WALKER C/UP

BENNY HARPER - MY PRAYER - HARPER SOUL

ERNIE JOHNSON C/UP

DISTRICTS - ONE LOVE (JUST WON'T DO) - NILE

DIFFERENCES - FIVE MINUTES - MON'CA

REACHERS - I JUST WANT TO DO MY OWN THING - MAGIC DISC

TREY J'S - I FOUND IT ALL IN YOU - TEE GEM

PRECIOUS THREE - I NEED A MAN - REFOREE

INTREPIDS - TO MAKE YOU LOVE ME - NITE BEAT

SINCERES C/UP

TOMANGOE'S - I REALLY LOVE YOU - WASHPAN

SILKY HARGRAVES - KEEP LOVING ME (LIKE YOU DO) - DEARBORN

JOCK MITCHELL - NOT A CHANCE IN A MILLION - IMPACT

Been asked to post up my playlist, so here you go...

FOUR TRACKS - LIKE MY LOVE FOR YOU - MANDINGO

SENSATIONS - DEMANDING MAN - WAY OUT

TONY DANIELS - I WON'T CRY - BEVAL

FOUR ANDANTES - HIPPER, THAN ME - MO DO

MOMENTS - BABY I WANT YOU - HOG

DEVOTIONS - DO DO DE DOP - NATION

APPRECIATIONS - IT'S BETTER TO CRY - SPORT

STARTONES - LOVIN' YOU BABY - BILLIEFRAN

BROWN BOMBERS & SOUL PARTNERS - WAIT FOR ME - AMAZING

JIMMIE RAYE - PHILLY DOG AROUND THE WORLD - KKC

RE-VELLS - I WANT A NEW LOVE - TRENT TOWN

TONY WALKER C/UP

BENNY HARPER - MY PRAYER - HARPER SOUL

ERNIE JOHNSON C/UP

DISTRICTS - ONE LOVE (JUST WON'T DO) - NILE

DIFFERENCES - FIVE MINUTES - MON'CA

REACHERS - I JUST WANT TO DO MY OWN THING - MAGIC DISC

TREY J'S - I FOUND IT ALL IN YOU - TEE GEM

PRECIOUS THREE - I NEED A MAN - REFOREE

INTREPIDS - TO MAKE YOU LOVE ME - NITE BEAT

SINCERES C/UP

TOMANGOE'S - I REALLY LOVE YOU - WASHPAN

SILKY HARGRAVES - KEEP LOVING ME (LIKE YOU DO) - DEARBORN

JOCK MITCHELL - NOT A CHANCE IN A MILLION - IMPACT

I was just about to say you've missed off one of the records of the night, the **** E****, but then I managed to work out it may one of the cover-ups?? :unsure::D

I was just about to say you've missed off one of the records of the night, the **** E****, but then I managed to work out it may one of the cover-ups?? :lol::thumbsup:

Hi Dave, i've just sat here for 10 minutes trying to work out what **** E**** was, i'd totally forgot i'd played King Earnest. No mate, not one of my c/ups, too well known to do that, just forgot about it. But well spotted that I played it !

Hi Dave, i've just sat here for 10 minutes trying to work out what **** E**** was, i'd totally forgot i'd played King Earnest. No mate, not one of my c/ups, too well known to do that, just forgot about it. But well spotted that I played it !

That's what I thought mate, but I was trying to tread carefully for once. :P

Like I said, one of thr records the night for me... very good set! thumbsup.gif