Allen Sisters "downtown Crowd"

Guest Trevski

Guest Trevski

Only ever seen this mentioned as a test press, but found it listed as a 45 release

Quality 1841X Allan Sisters I'm In The Downtown Crowd Give it Up Girl 1966

on a canadian discog site https://www.globaldogproductions.info/

also looked at a couple of sites from Canada mention ing the Allen Sisters and they all mention "Downtown crowd" as one of their releases/hits. Do they exist and I've just not seen/heard of 'em?

Biography

Coralie Allan (vocals)

Jackie Allan (vocals)

The Allan Sisters were originally from Edmonton, Alberta. Jackie had begun singing at the age of seven and was later joined by sister Coralie for shows in Alberta. Eventually the duo would move to Toronto to try and foster this talent into a career.

Jackie would soon marry CBC-TV musical arranger Art Snider ('Country Hoedown') but it would take several years before the duo would start recording. In 1963 they recorded their first single, "Larry", for Art Snider's Chateau label. The single hit the Canadian country charts in 1964.

They would also see some success with follow-up singles on the pop charts. This chart exposure led to a guest appearance on CTV's 'A Go-Go 66' (hosted by Mike Darrow) which, in turn, brought them to the attention of Tommy Hunter. Hunter would feature the sisters on his own CBC-TV show as regulars throughout 1966 and made them fixtures for 11 years running.

The sisters left the Tommy Hunter show in March 1977 and went on tour with their own musicians across Canada until 1983, when they agreed to go their separate ways. Jackie continued to tour western Canada until cancer was diagnosed later that year. Coralie did some touring around Ontario that year, but stopped to establish herself in a business career. Jackie died Christmas Eve, 1985. Coralie joined Splendid Entertainment in 1986 with Peter Glen for the show "Hits Of The Blitz". She continued with Splendid Entertainment doing various nostalgia dinner/cabaret shows around Muskoka, Toronto and the northeast U.S. until moving to North Vancouver in 2000 to be caregiver for her daughter, Darcia Gayle Nolan, who died of cancer in 2005. Coralie was married to singer/guitarist James "Jamie" Nolan until his death in August 1987.

with notes from Don Wayne Patterson, Seb Agnello, Gillian Snider and Coralie Nolan.

Discography

Singles

1964 Larry (Shell)

1965 Remember The Face/In My Diary (Shell/Raleigh)

1966 Dream Boy/Devil To Angel (Quality) 1807

1966 I'm In With The Downtown Crowd/Give It Up, Girl (Quality) 1841

1966 Silly Jilly/Drummer Man (Op-Art) 303

1972 Where The Lilac Grows/Just Out Of Reach (Arpeggio/RCA) ARPS-1012

1972 The Day After Tomorrow/Somewhere There's A Mountain (Arpeggio/RCA) ARPS-1021

Albums

197? Jackie & Coralie (Sound) 7704

197? The Allan Sisters "In Song" (Quality)

197? Precious Moments

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Trevski

If you do a google image search for 'Allen sisters downtown crowd' the first thumbnail shows a picture of it! Unfortunatly can't enlarge it as the site has gone.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

If you do a google image search for 'Allen sisters downtown crowd' the first thumbnail shows a picture of it! Unfortunatly can't enlarge it as the site has gone, could have lifted it for me itunes!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I sold one of the white label ones a few years back, can't remember who to though. My guess is that these are demo copies, they maybe didn't have time to make any labelled demos so they did a run of white label copies instead. I think they are just ink stamped.

Yes, those are the ones I've seen Pete. Would like to see a real one, the Quality label is nice!. Funny, but the sites I looked at give the impression it was quite a good seller, but they don't seem plentiful!

Social source share

I had a finished label copy.

This was purchased from Ady Pountain and was the copy he played at Yate...it's first scene exposure. It remained a one-off for quite a few years until Tim Ashibende turned up a couple of plain white label vinyl test presses (advertised in the small print in Black Echoes, as I recall). Being the ahem...'completist' that I 'sometimes' am, I bought one of those too! I later sold the finished label copy to Keb, who aired it a few times post-Stafford.

I later still sold my test press, but then got it back from AlanH. On reflection I wish I had kept my finished label copy as a few more copies of the plain white labels have turned up over the years, whereas the finished label copies haven't. Carl Fortnum has (had?) a finished label copy whilst DJing at the Dome too...we all gave it a spin there, and hell it is worthy of scene spins galore...imo.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

This was purchased from Ady Pountain and was the copy he played at Yate...it's first scene exposure. It remained a one-off for quite a few years until Tim Ashibende turned up a couple of plain white label vinyl test presses (advertised in the small print in Black Echoes, as I recall). Being the ahem...'completist' that I 'sometimes' am, I bought one of those too! I later sold the finished label copy to Keb, who aired it a few times post-Stafford.

I later still sold my test press, but then got it back from AlanH. On reflection I wish I had kept my finished label copy as a few more copies of the plain white labels have turned up over the years, whereas the finished label copies haven't. Carl Fortnum has (had?) a finished label copy whilst DJing at the Dome too...we all gave it a spin there, and hell it is worthy of scene spins galore...imo.

:thumbsup:

Carl's copy is the one i've seen

Social source share

ph34r.gif

didnt know till recently that avail on a lp

havent been able to grab one meself, but know a few have recently got copies :thumbsup::ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

havent been able to grab one meself, but know a few have recently got copies :thumbsup:biggrin.gif

Must be on the "In song" Quality lp then Mike. Thanks for that, I couldn't find a track listing, but had a hunch it might be on it.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

steady Trev :D

i got a wrong un somewhere

cant recall title for sure but that one dont ring bells

In the discog thats the only album on Quality, listed. Doesn't give a label for "Precious moments" Tho.

Get back to me Mike, before I go off on a hunt! :thumbup:

Social source share

In the discog thats the only album on Quality, listed. Doesn't give a label for "Precious moments" Tho.

Get back to me Mike, before I go off on a hunt! :thumbup:

that discog isnt complete Trev

100% def its not in song

laughing as just checked and must have thought same as you, saw label and artist name

that lp now sits proudly in my ever expanding candian 70s mor collection :D

(edited discog got label wrong its not even on quality)

Social source share

Guest Trevski

that discog isnt complete Trev

100% def its not in song

laughing as just checked and must have thought same as you, saw label and artist name

that lp now sits proudly in my ever expanding candian 70s mor collection :thumbup:

:D

Saw this on the discog site tho' interesting!

post-1355-1202139701_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Got the test pressing copy from Dave Flynn

then sold it back to him when i got my canadian quality copy which is the one i spun at the capitol soul club.

Sold a load of tunes to shifty about five years ago he put it in the auction and got about 350 for it.

As Dave says top tune quite hard to get and with more life in it yet

Al H

Social source share

• 3 months later...

havent been able to grab one meself, but know a few have recently got copies rolleyes.gif:D

110030389327.jpg

Start price:GBP 40 Start date: 2006-09-07

End price:GBP 67 End date: 2006-09-14

Auctioned at: ebay Number of bids: 7

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!