Lulu - Stop Fooling Around

Ian Seaman

• Replies 85
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i've been playing this out, only for 'normal' crowds though, not soul do's.

'Surprise Surprise' is another great one of hers, early garage-y b-side, pretty wild

I've been playing both of these at 'Da Doo Ron Ron' for the last couple of years, great tunes but wouldn't personally play them at an NS do.

Simon

Social source share

Guest the dukester

i've been playing this out, only for 'normal' crowds though, not soul do's.

'Surprise Surprise' is another great one of hers, early garage-y b-side, pretty wild

This is good, also....

I like....... Leave a Little Love......... personally :thumbsup:

Social source share

This is good, also....

I like....... Leave a Little Love......... personally :thumbsup:

She's done loads of good stuff 'Try to understand' 'To sir with love' , 'Choc Ice', 'Love loves to love', 'The boat that i row' & plenty more i can't think of at the moment.

Simon

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Lulu

Cilla Black

Susan Maughan

Tom Jones

Helen Shapiro

Jackie Trent

Petula Clarke

Tony Blackburn......................

................. the list gets longer....................& sadder.

Epic

Took the words right out of my mouth ohmy.gif . Agree with you 110%.

Brian :thumbsup:

Social source share

She's done loads of good stuff 'Try to understand' 'To sir with love' , 'Choc Ice', 'Love loves to love', 'The boat that i row' & plenty more i can't think of at the moment.

Simon

don't think i know Choc Ice, sounds intriguing, the rest i know.

re: Sandie Shaw - she does a good version of Route 66

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Why do you agree ? :thumbsup:

Cos they're all pop singers and Soul Source is a 'Rare and Northern Soul forum'.

I'm afraid my passion is soul music....sorry if that gives anyone a problem. Wouldn't have thought I'd need to explain.

Seems Epic thinks similarly - so there's at least 2 of us on here laugh.gif .

Brian thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Cos they're all pop singers and Soul Source is a 'Rare and Northern Soul forum'.

I'm afraid my passion is soul music....sorry if that gives anyone a problem. Wouldn't have thought I'd need to explain.

I'm afraid I agree too. That line-up would be fine on Sunday Night at The London Palladium or Seaside Special, but credible artists getting spins at a Rare Soul do? I should cocoa! (All in my very humble opinion etc etc.)

Social source share

Brian thumbsup.gif

Ho i dint no that ,so frankie valli is pop ,dusty springfield :thumbsup: ,and all the other white singers

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Ho i dint no that ,so frankie valli is pop ,dusty springfield :thumbsup: ,and all the other white singers

This is such an old debate.....and where did I mention anything about white?

Brian thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

That's what was so great about actually being there in the olden days. Not many people had telly and anyway there wasn't much pop music on it, so everything was radio radio, and you had no idea what colour the artists were.

My mate was telling me about this great vocalist he'd just heard - 'Ikentina Turner'! Can't remember what the song was but it was basically Brenda Lee-ish and we both thought she was white...

Social source share

don't think i know Choc Ice, sounds intriguing, the rest i know.

re: Sandie Shaw - she does a good version of Route 66

Choc Ice is superb imo, really good dancer, SS has done a fair few good things.

Simon

Social source share

don't think i know Choc Ice, sounds intriguing

It's on Gonks Go Beat soundtrack - but can be easily found on the not-as-easily-found-as-you-might-think "World Of Lulu Vol. 2"

Her version of "Show Me" is pretty good, and if you're venturing into early 70s territory "Move To My Rhythm" is pretty funky.

I've just realised I know Simon from Brighton... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Two mugs on source,soul isnt a colour thing never as been. :lol:

Social source share

It's on Gonks Go Beat soundtrack - but can be easily found on the not-as-easily-found-as-you-might-think "World Of Lulu Vol. 2"

Her version of "Show Me" is pretty good, and if you're venturing into early 70s territory "Move To My Rhythm" is pretty funky.

I've just realised I know Simon from Brighton... :thumbsup:

Erm hello, please reveal your identity!

Simon :lol:

Social source share

Two mugs on source,soul isnt a colour thing never as been. :thumbsup:

It's nothing to do with colour - I didn't mention the colour of anyone's skin & your remarks are without foundation & I find it offensive for you to intimate my opinion is based on a person's skin colour.

Truth is Lulu IMHO is a decent enough pop singer - nothing more - nothing less. One thing she ISN'T is a soul singer.

Just to balance the argument - IMHO Tina Turner is a rock singer.

Neither of the two ladies music has ever appealed to me - my opinions are based on the music they have made - certainly not on the colour of their skin.

Edited by epic
Social source share

Good dancers have always been part of the Northern Soul scene, as it is the dance floor that dictates what is Northern Soul, otherwise we would all just be into DEEP SOUL!

Lulu's version of "Leave A Little Love" is not far behind Patti Austins and if she was an unknown singer it could easily be played at a venue!

Social source share

It's nothing to do with colour - I didn't mention the colour of anyone's skin & your remarks are without foundation & I find it offensive for you to intimate my opinion is based on a person's skin colour.

Truth is Lulu IMHO is a decent enough pop singer - nothing more - nothing less. One thing she ISN'T is a soul singer.

Neither of the two ladies music has ever appealed to me - my opinions are based on the music they have made - certainly not on the colour of their skin.

What is a soul singer then?.....cause i`m losin`it.

Social source share

Listen to Esther Phillips "Home Is Where The Hatred Is" & then listen to Lulu - "Boom Bang A Bang".

Then make your own mind up.

Thats easy,if you use boom bang a crap as your example......no contest Esther......but thats just too easy aint it.

Social source share

Thats easy,if you use boom bang a crap as your example......no contest Esther......but thats just too easy aint it.

I'll make it easy for you

Doris Troy - "I'll Do Anything" or Tony Blackburn - "I'll Do Anything"

Gloria Jones - "Tainted Love" or Soft Cell - "Tainted Love"

The Righteous Brothers - "Unchained Melody" or Robson & Jerome - "Unchained Melody"

Social source share

I'll make it easy for you

Doris Troy - "I'll Do Anything" or Tony Blackburn - "I'll Do Anything"

Gloria Jones - "Tainted Love" or Soft Cell - "Tainted Love"

The Righteous Brothers - "Unchained Melody" or Robson & Jerome - "Unchained Melody"

But i would not say any of your examples of crap are soul,save T Blackburn :D anyway Lulu,Shaw,Springfield;etc etc have done soulfull records,same as righteous bro`s,G Jones,D Troy..........Righteous Bro`s v R Hamilton then,make them bro`s look like pop singers to me.i like Jimmy Young best tho` :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Only just picked this up.

I'm with you epic; neither have I ever mentioned the colour of anyone's skin; I too find the suggestion offensive that because I (rightly) say that the list is one of pop singers that somehow my comments are related to the fact that the people on the list have a skin colour of white :P .

I don't feel I have to justify why I consider them to be pop singers (but undoubtedly that is the genre they represent), but by the same token I don't ask others to justify why they feel that the likes of Lulu are 'soul' singers - but if they feel they want to proffer that argument, then I think it would create a serious and a much more intellectual debate.

I equally object to being termed a 'mug' on the basis that someone disagrees with my point of view; if we can't debate an issue in a more adult and considered way then there seems little point in entering the spirit of a forum!

So if someone wants to compare and contrast the merits of Tony Blackburn, Tom Jones, Duffy, Lulu, Anita Harris, Susan Maughan, Jackie Trent et al (and Mrs Mills if you want!!) versus a random list of (say) Levi Stubbs, Eddie Kendricks, Tammi Terrell, Lavern Baker, Mavis Staples, Johnnie Mae Matthews, etc then I'd be very interested in the points they make. And even if I disagreed with them, there would be no precipitate condemnation of their point of view and definitely no accusation that, because I didn't sign-up to their view of the world, they were just mugs!

Brian :lol:

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Only just picked this up.

I'm with you epic; neither have I ever mentioned the colour of anyone's skin; I too find the suggestion offensive that because I (rightly) say that the list is one of pop singers that somehow my comments are related to the fact that the people on the list have a skin colour of white :P .

I don't feel I have to justify why I consider them to be pop singers (but undoubtedly that is the genre they represent), but by the same token I don't ask others to justify why they feel that the likes of Lulu are 'soul' singers - but if they feel they want to proffer that argument, then I think it would create a serious and a much more intellectual debate.

I equally object to being termed a 'mug' on the basis that someone disagrees with my point of view; if we can't debate an issue in a more adult and considered way then there seems little point in entering the spirit of a forum!

So if someone wants to compare and contrast the merits of Tony Blackburn, Tom Jones, Duffy, Lulu, Anita Harris, Susan Maughan, Jackie Trent et al (and Mrs Mills if you want!!) versus a random list of (say) Levi Stubbs, Eddie Kendricks, Tammi Terrell, Lavern Baker, Mavis Staples, Johnnie Mae Matthews, etc then I'd be very interested in the points they make. And even if I disagreed with them, there would be no precipitate condemnation of their point of view and definitely no accusation that, because I didn't sign-up to their view of the world, they were just mugs!

Brian :lol:

Lulu

Cilla Black

Susan Maughan

Tom Jones

Helen Shapiro

Jackie Trent

Petula Clarke

Tony Blackburn......................

................. the list gets longer....................& sadder.

If i listen to these does this make me sad.i dont care really.

Edited by ken
Social source share

I don't like to get involved with these petty bickering arguments about What Is Soul etc, but to me, NORTHERN soul is basically a scene and not a music genre. In the Northern Soul scene the music played is predominantly uptempo music performed by black artists(normally referred to as soul), but also records with the correct dance beat performed by white artists. SOUL music is extremely difficult to define, and I wouldn't attempt to do it.

Certain records by established POP artists have been featured in the Northern soul scene this does not make the artist concerned a soul artist, just someone who has performed at track that fits. The logic that if one Lulu track fits the bill in the scene, that means that Boom Bang a Bang is a soulful classic, is bollocks.

Paul

Social source share

as ussual most people who caterorgise some records or artists as pop , [bllack or white] have a rogue record in there collection somewhere that they heard somewhere like wigan, ......so thats alright then is it???????? its the production of 60s records that does it for me,backing orchestra etc. ezzie if this site debated only northern or soul music , it would be a lot less interesting !!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

yeah, as was said earlier, good records can come from strange sources... doesn't mean the artist is considered 'credible' or 'soulful', just that they've made a good track or two (and usually they're fairly obscure b-sides or something). loads of US soul and R&B artists also made pop records, but that's not held against them.

Social source share

I don't like to get involved with these petty bickering arguments about What Is Soul etc, but to me, NORTHERN soul is basically a scene and not a music genre. In the Northern Soul scene the music played is predominantly uptempo music performed by black artists(normally referred to as soul), but also records with the correct dance beat performed by white artists. SOUL music is extremely difficult to define, and I wouldn't attempt to do it.

Certain records by established POP artists have been featured in the Northern soul scene this does not make the artist concerned a soul artist, just someone who has performed at track that fits. The logic that if one Lulu track fits the bill in the scene, that means that Boom Bang a Bang is a soulful classic, is bollocks.

Paul

The fact that people consider a record by Lulu "fits the bill" is the problem I have with it.

Social source share

The fact that people consider a record by Lulu "fits the bill" is the problem I have with it.

Whats up then,tell us.....cause your just a wind up.........go split hairs somewhere else cause no-one compared Lulu to say Aretha or something stupid like that.

Social source share

The inevitable off on a tangent is well and truly rolling now :huh:

The original Q has long been forgotten again !!

Personally i think it,s a great dancing soulful feeling record that deserves plays regardless of it's origins.

I have just dug a copy out and i,m gonna play it at my next gig - so there :lol:

All in all it,s what helps make up TSWONS :ohmy:

Ian.

Social source share

I have just dug a copy out and i,m gonna play it at my next gig - so there :ohmy:

One things for sure, i started playing this at Da Doo Ron Ron a couple of years back as a record most in the venue probably wouldn't have known, it went down storming almost immediately & now it goes down as well as our most popular records, things like 'Be my baby', 'Give him a great big kiss' et al so i would conclude it's dancefloor dynamite!

Simon

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!