New Event In Shrewsbury

Local

WHERE ? THE LORD HILL HOTEL ABBEY FOREGATE, SHREWSBURY, SY2 6AX

WHEN ? FRIDAY 22ND FEB - 8 TILL 1 JUST A FIVER GETS YOU IN

WHO ARE THE GUESTS ? GARY HOLYMAN + KIDDO

RESIDENTS MARK JONES, GATOR, AND JOHN FISHER

WHATS THE MUSIC POLICY ? QUALITY SOUL MUSIC FROM EVERY ERA 60S, THRO TO THE PRESENT DAY AND POSSIBLLY EVEN TOMORROW.

NEXT DATE MAY 9TH

• Replies 44
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest bananaman

I 'LL BE THERE WITH AFEW OF MY MATES LOOKING FORWARD NOW A CERTAIN PERSON IS NOT DJING :lol::D:lol: THE ONE WITH THE EMPTY FLOOR :D:lol::lol:

Edited by bananaman
Guest bananaman

I'm intrigued :g:

SEE YOU WHEN I GET THERE!

JOHN FISHER

[/quote YOU KNOW WHO HE IS YOU DONT NEED ME TO TELL TO YOU !!!! HE PLAYS TUNES WHICH HE LIKES AND THATS IT !!! THATS NOT DJING THAT IS JUST BEENING SELFISH AND SERVES HIM RIGHT THAT HE WAS NOT INVITED !!!AFTER SAYING ALL THAT HE IS NOT A BAD GUY JUST A BAD DJ :lol: ALL THE BEST FOR FRIDAY AND HOPE WE CAN GET THE OLD LORD HILL BACK WHERE SOULIES ARE DANCING :thumbsup::thumbup::lol::lol::thumbup: PLEASE CAN YOU PLAY ME SOMETHING IT BRINGS BACK SWEET MEMORIES JUST A LITTLE MISUNDERSTANDING- THE COUTOURS

Edited by bananaman
Guest bananaman

please can you play me pat lewis-it'll never be over for me it means alot to me :thumbsup::thumbup: thanks sorry for been greedy but this one if you cant do the both

Edited by bananaman
Guest bananaman

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll play the Contours :D

and

SEE YOU WHEN I GET THERE!

john fisher

TA VERY MUCH THAT WILL BE FINE :D !!!!! SEE YOU OUT ON THE FLOOR !!!!

TA VERY MUCH THAT WILL BE FINE :lol: !!!!! SEE YOU OUT ON THE FLOOR !!!!

ALL PART OF THE SERVICE ,IN FACT ILL PLAY 2 RECORDS BY THE CONTOURS, THE ONE YOU ASKED FOR + THE UNRELEASED "I LIKE EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU" IF YOU AINT HEARD THIS ONE THEN YOUR IN FOR A TREAT(GREAT DANCER)

SEE YOU WHEN OPEN MY EYES! :lol:

Guest bananaman

ALL PART OF THE SERVICE ,IN FACT ILL PLAY 2 RECORDS BY THE CONTOURS, THE ONE YOU ASKED FOR + THE UNRELEASED "I LIKE EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU" IF YOU AINT HEARD THIS ONE THEN YOUR IN FOR A TREAT(GREAT DANCER)

SEE YOU WHEN OPEN MY EYES! :lol:

[THANKS,GLAD YOU MENTION ALL PART OF THE SERVICE BECAUCE THAT IS THE PRIME OBJECT OF THE DJ IS PLAYING WHAT THE PAYING CUSTOMERS ASK FOR !!!!!REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT SOUNDS LIKE THERE IS GOING TO BE QUITE AFEW SOULIES THERE

Guest Ferrett

Sorry to hijack your thread John, but just had to respond to comments made by Bananaman above.

From what I can gather, the dig at previous Lord Hill DJ's is aimed at either Chic or Chris Morgan.

As both are good friends, I felt obliged to respond in their defense.

Despite what you say, they are both excellent DJ's and are regularly being booked at venues up and down the country as well as in Ireland and France. Both have absolutely amazing soul collections and know more about the music than the rest of Shropshire put together. Take my word for it, they are playing today what everyone else will be after in 5 years time.

Just because they had the balls to play something a bit different, it's no reason to say they're not good DJ's. Shrewsbury needs to wake up and smell the coffee, most play lists at Shrewsbury soul nites haven't changed for 20 years. It's time to catch up with what's happening elsewhere in the country.

To me the Northern scene is about pushing the boundaries and finding new sounds to play. That's what makes the scene exciting.

Like everyone else, I pay my entrance fee and I want to hear something that I haven't heard before, not the same old, same old.

I know that John, Gary, Mark and Kiddo all have superb lesser played tracks in their record boxes. I just hope Shrewsbury soulies are a bit more open minded on Friday and give some new tracks a chance. Otherwise it will be as depressing as usual. In fact, I can almost write the request list before the night even starts:-

I'm so happy - Prince Phuillip Mitchell

It really hurts me Girl - Carstairs

Cashing In - Voices of East Harlem

She'll come running back - Mel Britt

Something new to do - Bobby Sheen

Run for cover - The Dells

Tell me its Just a rumour - Isley Brothers

The Snake - Al Wilson

Keep on Keeping on - NF Porter

Cause you're mine - Vibrations

Out on the floor - Dobie Gray etc. etc. etc.

I REALLY hope John and Co. will prove me wrong. I know that all the DJ's on Friday have the quality tunes to make this a great night. It's just whether the blinkered soul crowd in Shrewsbury give them chance to play them.

Good luck John. I will be supporting you all the way. Play something we don't know - PLEASE!!!!!

Neil Felton (Ferrett)

Sorry to hijack your thread John, but just had to respond to comments made by Bananaman above.

From what I can gather, the dig at previous Lord Hill DJ's is aimed at either Chic or Chris Morgan.

As both are good friends, I felt obliged to respond in their defense.

Despite what you say, they are both excellent DJ's and are regularly being booked at venues up and down the country as well as in Ireland and France. Both have absolutely amazing soul collections and know more about the music than the rest of Shropshire put together. Take my word for it, they are playing today what everyone else will be after in 5 years time.

Just because they had the balls to play something a bit different, it's no reason to say they're not good DJ's. Shrewsbury needs to wake up and smell the coffee, most play lists at Shrewsbury soul nites haven't changed for 20 years. It's time to catch up with what's happening elsewhere in the country.

To me the Northern scene is about pushing the boundaries and finding new sounds to play. That's what makes the scene exciting.

Like everyone else, I pay my entrance fee and I want to hear something that I haven't heard before, not the same old, same old.

I know that John, Gary, Mark and Kiddo all have superb lesser played tracks in their record boxes. I just hope Shrewsbury soulies are a bit more open minded on Friday and give some new tracks a chance. Otherwise it will be as depressing as usual. In fact, I can almost write the request list before the night even starts:-

I'm so happy - Prince Phuillip Mitchell

It really hurts me Girl - Carstairs

Cashing In - Voices of East Harlem

She'll come running back - Mel Britt

Something new to do - Bobby Sheen

Run for cover - The Dells

Tell me its Just a rumour - Isley Brothers

The Snake - Al Wilson

Keep on Keeping on - NF Porter

Cause you're mine - Vibrations

Out on the floor - Dobie Gray etc. etc. etc.

I REALLY hope John and Co. will prove me wrong. I know that all the DJ's on Friday have the quality tunes to make this a great night. It's just whether the blinkered soul crowd in Shrewsbury give them chance to play them.

Good luck John. I will be supporting you all the way. Play something we don't know - PLEASE!!!!!

Neil Felton (Ferrett)

Yes Neil I couldn't agree more. You can't take away the fact that without the new tracks being discovered and played we would never have oldies.

some people seem to forget why we got into this music scene, they don't seem to remember the first time they went to their first soul night or all nighter and every record heard was for the first time. Hearing those tunes prompted us to go back for more and that was certainly one of my main drives, trying to find what that tune was, who was it by what label was it on and can I afford to buy it, that was the passion and is still my passion today.

Further to previous comments regarding dj's not play requested tunes. Soul nights and all-nighters are played by resident and guest dj's all playing anything to 1 hour plus sessions if every dj took enough records to cover request from every punter then you wouldn't have enough room behind the decks for the dj's to stand.

I'm looking forward to Friday and supporting this venue, playing to a open minded crowd see you Friday John

Guest bananaman

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU BOTH AS WELL BUT WHEN THERE IS AN EMPTY FLOOR DOESN'T IT TELL YOU SOMETHING. I DONT WANT HEAR THOSE TUNES EITHER BUT YOU GOT TO HAVE A MIXTURE OF EVERYTHING CLASSICS AND UNKNOWN SO HOPEFULLY ON FRIDAY THERE WILL BE TUNES FOR EVERYBODY DIFFERENT TASTE NOT JUST ONE PERSON

Guest bananaman

SHREWSBURY SOUL SCENE IS LIKE A BABY IT NEEDS TO BE WEANED OFF ITS MOTHER BREAST SLOWLY INTRODUCING SOLIDS GRADUALLY BLENDING THE SOLIDS WITH THE MILK TO MAKE IT MORE EASY TO SWALLOW THEN EACH TIME AFEW MORE SPOONFULS UNTIL IT 'S COMPLETELY WEANED OFF. THE LORD HILL WAS FORCE FED TOO MUCH TOO SOON AND IT CHOKED AND DIED !!!!! THERE A NEW BABY ON THE SCENE NOW HOPEFULLY THIS WILL GROW INTO A HEALTHY SCENE WITH A WELL BALANCE DIET OF SOUL !!!! CHRIS MORGAN IS A -CLASS DJ AND ALSO IS NEIL FELTON AND WE HOPE THEY WILL BE INVITED IN THE FUTURE TO PLAY ALONG WITH OTHER DJ'S

SHREWSBURY SOUL SCENE IS LIKE A BABY IT NEEDS TO BE WEANED OFF ITS MOTHER BREAST SLOWLY INTRODUCING SOLIDS GRADUALLY BLENDING THE SOLIDS WITH THE MILK TO MAKE IT MORE EASY TO SWALLOW THEN EACH TIME AFEW MORE SPOONFULS UNTIL IT 'S COMPLETELY WEANED OFF. THE LORD HILL WAS FORCE FED TOO MUCH TOO SOON AND IT CHOKED AND DIED !!!!! THERE A NEW BABY ON THE SCENE NOW HOPEFULLY THIS WILL GROW INTO A HEALTHY SCENE WITH A WELL BALANCE DIET OF SOUL !!!! CHRIS MORGAN IS A -CLASS DJ AND ALSO IS NEIL FELTON AND WE HOPE THEY WILL BE INVITED IN THE FUTURE TO PLAY ALONG WITH OTHER DJ'S

That baby's taller than me....been weaning for over 25 years now...time to get out off the milk and at least try some soul food! :D

Anyway I'm sure they'll be something for everyone...John's the boss after all!!

Let's all have a few beers, chill and get on the floor!

Looking forward to hearing some great toons! :thumbsup:

See you all Friday nice and early before I get too drunk!

Edited by soulechoes
Guest gouldensoul

or

if you want dancers just let me know

see you when i dj there

but can you pay for the lorry cuz i cant gettem all in mi moto.

lol tongue.gif:lol::lol:

but on the soulies side of life.

lets go for it an get dancin. as ya do. (once quoted by robbie price. mi old mucker and part time bro. luv im to bits the old git)

HAVE A TOP NIGHT FOLKS !!!!!!!!

WAS HOPING TO GET DOWN AND......GET DOWN !!!!

BUT DON'T THINK I'LL BE ABLE TO MAKE THIS ONE :no:

HEY MARK CAN YOU PLAY A REQUEST FOR SARA...IT'S HER BIRTHDAY !!!!

BOBBY GUITAR WOOD ...WOULD BE GOOD !!!!

HAVE A FAB, GEAR AND GROOVEY NIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!

LUV TO Y'ALL !!!!!!!!!

CPTN M :D

HAVE A TOP NIGHT FOLKS !!!!!!!!

WAS HOPING TO GET DOWN AND......GET DOWN !!!!

BUT DON'T THINK I'LL BE ABLE TO MAKE THIS ONE :D

HEY MARK CAN YOU PLAY A REQUEST FOR SARA...IT'S HER BIRTHDAY !!!!

BOBBY GUITAR WOOD ...WOULD BE GOOD !!!!

HAVE A FAB, GEAR AND GROOVEY NIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!

LUV TO Y'ALL !!!!!!!!!

CPTN M :yes:

Shame you can't make it Chris..but no probs on the birthday girl's request...hope to see you at the next one mate! :ohmy:

Looking forward to hearing what Kiddo and Gary are gonna play :lol:

Totally agree with the 'mixed bag' approach - just a couple of requests though....

Some lesser played oldies would be good rather than the usual 'played to death ones', and, this is the most important - can you please NOT play Heaven in the Afternoon coz I can't stand it aggressive.gif:huh:

It always gets played here and fries my sweed everytime

Cheers chaps thumbsup.gif

See you tomorrow :lol:

Looking forward to hearing what Kiddo and Gary are gonna play :hypo:

Totally agree with the 'mixed bag' approach - just a couple of requests though....

Some lesser played oldies would be good rather than the usual 'played to death ones', and, this is the most important - can you please NOT play Heaven in the Afternoon coz I can't stand it :hypo::hypo:

It always gets played here and fries my sweed everytime

Cheers chaps :hypo:

See you tomorrow :hypo:

OK IVE TAKEN IT OUT OF THE BOX HOW ABOUT THIS ONE BY LEW KIRTON INSTEAD? THIS SHOULD BE COME ON WITH IT ? NOT TALK TO ME

SEE YOU WHEN I GET THERE !

Guest bananaman

DOH! I DID UPLOAD THE WRONG TRACK, HERE IS THE RIGHT ONE

SEE YOU BETTER WITH MY GLASSES!

WHAT YOUR BEER GLASSES :hypo::hypo::hypo: HOW ABOUT A GOOD DANCE TRACK ------CAUSE YOU'RE MINE -------THE VIBRATIONS

WHAT YOUR BEER GLASSES :thumbsup::lol::ohmy: HOW ABOUT A GOOD DANCE TRACK ------CAUSE YOU'RE MINE -------THE VIBRATIONS

Sorry, but having read all of your posts im a bit confused as to where your comming from bananaman,

in previous posts you say you want to hear some new tunes,so i post a few up, then you ask for a record that you must have heard thousands of times!!!!

The event tonight is, as it says on the flyer an accross the board event, and we dont want people going away without hearing something they know and like, however i dont think that any of the DJs will be spinning overplayed tunes that can be listened to, at any time, by anyone with half a dozen decent compilation cds.

There seems little point in trying to create another Goodyears for example (no disrepect to scotty or the punters of the said establishment) On the otherhand, i am not expecting 5 hours of tunes that are only known by a handfull of connoisseurs. I would never tell another jock what to, or what not to play, all i would say is that each has been chosen or recomended on there abillity to know and understand what is reqd.

Anyhow i am looking forward to tonight, the feedback i have from recent events, that i have attended, is possitive and we should have a decent turn out,so,

I'LL SEE YOU WHEN YOU GET THERE!

Guest Ferrett

Sorry, but having read all of your posts im a bit confused as to where your comming from bananaman,

in previous posts you say you want to hear some new tunes,so i post a few up, then you ask for a record that you must have heard thousands of times!!!!

The event tonight is, as it says on the flyer an accross the board event, and we dont want people going away without hearing something they know and like, however i dont think that any of the DJs will be spinning overplayed tunes that can be listened to, at any time, by anyone with half a dozen decent compilation cds.

There seems little point in trying to create another Goodyears for example (no disrepect to scotty or the punters of the said establishment) On the otherhand, i am not expecting 5 hours of tunes that are only known by a handfull of connoisseurs. I would never tell another jock what to, or what not to play, all i would say is that each has been chosen or recomended on there abillity to know and understand what is reqd.

Anyhow i am looking forward to tonight, the feedback i have from recent events, that i have attended, is possitive and we should have a decent turn out,so,

Good on you John - Looking forward to hearing some interesting stuff.

Sounds like I'm gonna need my dancing shoes after all!!!

Something along the lines of 'Stop & Listen - Patti Drew' would be right up my street.

Ta

Ferrett

HEY MARK ! HAVE A TOP NIGHT..I WAS PLAYING A GIG IN MANCHESTER BUT THEY MADE A SLIGHT ERROR :lol: IT'S NEXT FRIDAY ...BUT BIT LATE NOW TO TRAVEL ..DON'T FORGET A DEDICATION FOR SARA....' DEWEY JEFFERIES' WOULD BE ACE !!!!! ( WHEN TIMES WERE HARD FOR ME & NO-ONE CARED ETC...........) USED TO HAVE THAT...TOP TOP TUNE !!!!!!!!!!! CHIEF !

CYA'LL REAL SOON ........HOPE TO SEE YA UP HERE SOON MARK...SEE DETAILS FOR APRIL BELOW ..WELCOME TO JOIN THE MAYHEM AND THE NOW TRADITIONAL AFTER-PARTY !!!!!!! FUNNY BUT NO-ONE EVER SEEMS TIRED..MUST BE 'THE SALFORD POP' LUV TO Y'ALL !!!!!!!!

CPTN M..& GENERAL VARGAS :lol:

Guest bananaman

WHERE ? THE LORD HILL HOTEL ABBEY FOREGATE, SHREWSBURY, SY2 6AX

WHEN ? FRIDAY 22ND FEB - 8 TILL 1 JUST A FIVER GETS YOU IN

WHO ARE THE GUESTS ? GARY HOLYMAN + KIDDO

RESIDENTS MARK JONES, GATOR, AND JOHN FISHER

WHATS THE MUSIC POLICY ? QUALITY SOUL MUSIC FROM EVERY ERA 60S, THRO TO THE PRESENT DAY AND POSSIBLLY EVEN TOMORROW.

NEXT DATE MAY 9TH

TOP MARKS YOU GOT THE BABY DANCING !!!!! IT WAS A GREAT NITE LOOKING FORWARDS TO MAY 9 Edited by bananaman