soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 35
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Stuart T

You discovered how to turn the computer back on? Welcome back!

Its the example record listing for the Group Sounds Soul Harmony book, I'll check it tonight if I can remember. So no chance then :)

Social source share

i am talking about the parisians on deamon hot herd guy hennigan spin a 7t's version on sun night at the rocket havent a clue who buy or what lable that one is on

Social source share

I think they are late 60's, about 69. If i remember correctly, isn't the Abet release credited to the Traditions? Both the same take from what i remember. Odds are on, the one you heard Baz is something that Guy has found, sounds interesting though. Ady.

link

That's the two I know of Ady.

Baz if it's the one that got played at the Rocket on Sunday sounded like Parisians/Traditions to me, but as Billy says there's a fairly big queue whistling.gif

Social source share

OK, it goes like this:

PARISIANS- Twinkle Little Star - DEMON HOT 1

TRADITIONS - Twinkle Little Star - ABET 9435

Different recordings - Parisians is almost certainly a White Group with Soul ambitions, Traditions is a Black Group and has slightly more in the way of funky tom-toms and general 'Soul feeling', but overall, the two records have a very similar treatment and could easily be confused with each other if not heard side by side. Difficult to work out which is the original, as the Parisians flip is a semi-instrumental reworking of the topside and the Traditions flip is a cover version, so you don't get any clues from the composer credits, but my vote goes to the Parisians being the original.

Seen the Parisians at around £400 a year or two ago, but considering it was £3 at the end of the '80s this would indicate that it's been a fastish riser in recent years, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a shade above that today, though I wouldn't expect £1000 quite yet.

Traditions is about 500 times rarer in comparison, but very, very little known, probably because of its rarity, which really is extreme. Manship vol 1 listed Parisians at £200 and Traditions at £150, but this reflects collectors' awareness of the respective records rather than their relative rarity. I doubt it will remain like that for long, mind, as I've heard Butch playing the Traditions' version at the 100 Club recently, so expect awareness to grow.

Hope this helps clear up any foggy areas.

All the best,

Nick

Social source share

That's the two I know of Ady.

Baz if it's the one that got played at the Rocket on Sunday sounded like Parisians/Traditions to me, but as Billy says there's a fairly big queue whistling.gif

link

Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I heard the record introduced over the mike at the Rocket as The Parisians, and I'm wondering if it was actually Mick H who played it - he was on right before Guy.

Anyone able to confirm with Mick or Guy?

All the best,

Nick

Social source share

Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I heard the record introduced over the mike at the Rocket as The Parisians, and I'm wondering if it was actually Mick H who played it - he was on right before Guy.

Anyone able to confirm with Mick or Guy?

All the best,

Nick

link

yeah mick did play the parisians for his first record if i remember rightly

but also herd it again that night when guy was on if you say the traditions is from 69 i would sound in that 70's vain any way i didnt mean when i said 70's that it was a disco vertion or later but guy definately spun a 'later' sounding version not as fast and ver very corssover??? or i might have been some one else who was playing it?????

Social source share

A copy of the Traditions went cheap on ebay quite recently, won by a well known character and DJ who shall remain nameless. I was a bit pissed off when I noticed it in the completed listings since I for once had not checked ebay for a week or so. Shifty also had a copy not too long ago I am sure, but that went for a bit more, £400 or something like that I think. I also read somewhere that The Traditions was a white group.

Social source share

Last copy of The Parisians I saw was on my own list about 2001 - I bought it from Brighton record fair for £125, it was offered to Mick Smith first but he didn't know it so said I could take it whistling.gif

anyway I think I listed it for £150....I can't believe it can go up to £1000 in 4 years...if I had one now I'd ask £300 tops. Honest.

Social source share

yeah mick did play the parisians for his first record if i remember rightly

but also herd it again that night when guy was on if you say the traditions is from 69 i would sound in that 70's vain any way i didnt mean when i said 70's that it was a disco vertion or later but guy definately spun a 'later' sounding version not as fast and ver very corssover??? or i might have been some one else who was playing it?????

link

you have to excusse my english its piss poor whistling.gif:huh:

Social source share

Last copy of The Parisians I saw was on my own list about 2001 - I bought it from Brighton record fair for £125, it was offered to Mick Smith first but he didn't know it so said I could take it  whistling.gif

anyway I think I listed it for £150....I can't believe it can go up to £1000 in 4 years...if I had one now I'd ask £300 tops. Honest.

link

think the 1000 was a silly price to offer it to me for. i maybe slightly mad but not a dim wit :huh:

Social source share

The Traditions is definatly a black group with a strong black lead vocal. I heard the 2 versions side by side and could`nt really tell the difference. I think Shifty traded his copy, although he may still have it, actually he may have a Demon hot version too, we got a couple of each from the producer a couple of years ago. I`ll keep hold of my Traditions for now thanks!

Chris

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Last copy of The Parisians I saw was on my own list about 2001 - I bought it from Brighton record fair for £125, it was offered to Mick Smith first but he didn't know it so said I could take it  :thumbsup:

link

I had it off you, thought it was a bit more than that. Soul Group Harmony book lists the two releases as by the same group. Personally can't hear the difference, did Ady find any info on this when Kent did the Excello/Abet CD? Traditions didn't make it on there did it?

Social source share

I had it off you, thought it was a bit more than that.  Soul Group Harmony book lists the two releases as by the same group.  Personally can't hear the difference, did Ady find any info on this when Kent did the Excello/Abet CD? Traditions didn't make it on there did it?

link

Might have known you had it :thumbsup:

must have been 200 then :thumbsup:

Social source share

Have seen the Parisians couple of times @ £500 over the last year. Everyone seems to want a copy so maybe £1000 not so far off the mark if it came up for auction.

Mick H definately got it as he played it at Lifeline, was stood with him and can remember talking about it.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Might have known you had it  :thumbsup:

must have been 200 then  :thumbsup:

link

Another fine investment by me then ya big tart. :thumbsup: It says £175 on the sleeve but is probably off a completely different record. That Pat Kelly LP is nice too. I still have your old copy, came up lovely after a clean, I don't have a dishwasher.... :lol:

Social source share

Another fine investment by me then ya big tart.  :thumbsup:   It says £175 on the sleeve but is probably off a completely different record.  That Pat Kelly LP is nice too.  I still have your old copy, came up lovely after a clean, I don't have a dishwasher.... :thumbsup:

link

Just rub it then why dont you ... you've got all my best records ... at least they went to a good home :thumbsup: Sam Williams, Monique, still, they're only records

Social source share

Last copy of The Parisians I saw was on my own list about 2001 - I bought it from Brighton record fair for £125, it was offered to Mick Smith first but he didn't know it so said I could take it  :thumbsup:

link

one went through ebay , end of last year vg+, for £220.

regular spin for martin gavin at caledonia soul

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Just rub it then why dont you ... you've got all my best records ... at least they went to  a good home  :thumbsup:   Sam Williams, Monique, still, they're only records

link

Aw sorry. I'm looking after them very well. :thumbsup: I took them on holiday last weekend as well. cool.gif They liked that. When are you getting your next collection to sell me?

Social source share

Guest hammy

one went through ebay , end of last year vg+, for £220.

regular spin for martin gavin at caledonia soul

link

You need to get Martin on here Lenny - I want to check whether a rumour is true. Is it the case that he was once a member of The Scottish Young Conservatives under the watchful eye of the now deceased Sir Nicky Fairbairn QC? !

Hammy

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The singer from the Parisians used to perform his act with a cockroach dummy on his hand, and do a ventroliquist (spelling :yes::thumbsup: )act with it. I think that it was quite common to do 'silly acts' in between songs. James Bell has told me about his fancy dressed stand up comedy that he did with the highlighters between songs. He used to dress up as a 'funky tramp'. Strange but true. :yes:

I'd say Twinkle Little Star would fetch over £400 in auction, quite easily. Maybe double that? What I'd like to know though, is what price would his cockroach glove puppet fetch on ebay! :rolleyes:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The singer from the Parisians used to perform his act with a cockroach dummy on his hand, and do a ventroliquist (spelling :yes:   :thumbsup: )act with it. I think that it was quite common to do 'silly acts' in between songs. James Bell has told me about his fancy dressed stand up comedy that he did with the highlighters between songs. He used to dress up as a 'funky tramp'. Strange but true. :yes:

I'd say Twinkle Little Star would fetch over £400 in auction, quite easily. Maybe double that? What I'd like to know though, is what price would his cockroach glove puppet fetch on ebay! :rolleyes:

link

Hence the instrumental side being the Cockroach? How bizarre. I'd give him £20 for it, as long as its not one of them funky cockroaches. (you swapped the i with the o, quite amusing word, I wonder what the alternative meaning could be?).

Social source share

You need to get  Martin on here Lenny - I want to check whether a rumour  is true. Is it the case that he was once a member of The Scottish Young Conservatives under the watchful eye of the now deceased Sir Nicky Fairbairn QC? !

Hammy

link

f**k knows if that ones true, ill be asking him tho'. [ i cannae remember, it might have been me that started that one].

he watches the forum, but cant get logged in, ....aint that right martin?

i was a member of the clydeside reds an all , funny how things turnout........

has anything like this happenned to any one else? i dont know....

Social source share

The singer from the Parisians used to perform his act with a cockroach dummy on his hand, and do a ventroliquist

What do you mean used to, he still does! I`m not sure its the singer but Ernie Fields who owned the label does that act. He gave me a copy of his DVD of one of his shows, lets just say its entertaining to watch! In fact when you see Shifty just tell him "You got a lump on yourrrrrrrrrrrrrr back"!

Chris

Social source share