Kenny Thomas - Crazy world

Futures - Party time man

All absolute garbage

Any more ?

link

Gayle Adams---Baby I Need Your Loving...absolute f*****g shite :rolleyes:

Edited by BIGSOULMAN
Social source share

the futures absolutely couldn't agree more no place in a northern room or a rare soul room for that matter. Its disco not that bad as disco but not northern and not rare soul. :angry:

link

It's not even good disco. Do we know who is to "blame" for introducing this "abomination" to the scene?

Social source share

Its really fashionable to attack the Futures & Gayle Adams.

I'm not sure if its either jumping on the bandwagon or a sort of pack mentality.

2 years ago they were absolute floor packers & appealed to the once a month crowd.

Whoever introduced them made a lot of people happy.

Surely you don't begrudge people that?

Personally they are not favourites of mine, but I don't think they are bad records either. They both have strong lyrics and are surely 10 times better than any instrumental ever played.

I await the onslaught.

Col.

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

I'm not sure if its either jumping on the bandwagon or a sort of pack mentality.

2 years ago they were absolute floor packers & appealed to the once a month crowd..........

I await the onslaught.

Col.

link

Funny Col, was only thinkin how many records appear to be despised after they become overplayed or price rises dramatically, its not the artists fault, you might not want to hear a certain record out for a while but surely it still a good record even if not value for money.

Danny D

Social source share

Funny Col, was only thinkin how many records appear to be despised after they become overplayed or price rises dramatically, its not the artists fault, you might not want to hear a certain record out for a while but surely it still a good record even if not value for money.

Danny D

link

Absolutely right ! The Futures were a fantastic SOUL group (never disco!) who did three fantastic LPs (two on PIR and one on Buddah) and have been appreciated for ages for their great stepper " Aint No Time Fa Nuthin' "

Party Time Man is a great soul dance record , period.

Bet it gets reactivated in 4 or 5 years time and goes back up to 100 quid !!! :) !

Social source share

2 years ago they were absolute floor packers & appealed to the once a month crowd.

Personally they are not favourites of mine, but I don't think they are bad records either.  They both have strong lyrics and are surely 10 times better than any instrumental ever played.

I await the onslaught.

Col.

link

Col, I have to tell you that I am in writing as "dissing" this particular record right from the start - it is probably the group's WORST record. They have done a number of good ones, but "Party time man" ain't one of them.....See you at Essence.....

Social source share

any anything released by Levine..

4 Vandals ect.

the gasher

link

Couldn't agree more. How in the name of sanity were so many people sucked in by the Four Vandals con? Anyone with half an ear for a tune could tell that was cut in a modern studio.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Peanut Duck

link

Spot on Pete. The absolute worst.

On another thread someone (Ian Sims possibly) asked about the worst lyrics ever, well:

There's a button on your left, and there's one on the right.

The one in the middle means we're having bad luck.

We're running out of gas, and our landing gear is stuck!!

Then came a voice over the phone

Saying "Turn this toilet off its awful"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Not me Mikey :)

link

Sorry Ian, my mistake :)

Cant remember which thread it was on.

Whoever it was put the opening lyrics to Skiing in the snow. Close, but no cigar.

Social source share

Col.

link

I also have been against the playing of the futures from day one and am not jumping on any band wagon.

I don't begrudge anyone enjoying a record either once a month or twice a week. I don't begrudge my neighbour enjoying Motorhead's 'The Ace of Spades' either. Just because some people like it doesn't make it Northern.

As previously discussed myself and Pete Smith share a love of Bowie's music (only his early stuff in my case) but I would not dream of playing 'I Dig Everything' though I'm sure I would not be the only person in the room that liked it and it is rare but it aint Northern and it aint soul. Just like the Futures!

The litmus test to distinguish soul from disco is add in some of those electronic 'poo poos' ala meco and if they fit in with the track it's disco IMVHO.

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

myself and Pete Smith share a love of Bowie's music

link

i'd like to make the point that not being suitable/appropriate for the northern scene isn't the same as not being a good record

i too like the old pye bowie stuff (someone should licence and issue these as instrumentals, cos the backing tracks are fabulous)

but it's not soul music

i think that me and pete (from previous communications) share a love of early stooges stuff - great blues-based rhythm tracks with a strong 4-4 beat

anyway....where i'm leading is that i remember the seeds pushin too hard being played at wigan

fekkin awesome record - but should never have been played on a soul scene

Edited by woolie mark
Social source share

I also have been against the playing of the futures from day one and am not jumping on any band wagon.

I don't begrudge anyone enjoying a record either once a month or twice a week. I don't begrudge my neighbour enjoying Motorhead's 'The Ace of Spades' either. Just because some people like it doesn't make it Northern.

As previously discussed myself and Pete Smith share a love of Bowie's music (only his early stuff in my case) but I would not dream of playing 'I Dig Everything' though I'm sure I would not be the only person in the room that liked it and it is rare but it aint Northern and it aint soul. Just like the Futures!

The litmus test to distinguish soul from disco is add in some of those electronic 'poo poos' ala meco and if they fit in with the track it's disco IMVHO.

link

Ged you are absolutely spot on but some people dont seem to get the point :)

What would you pro "party time man" lot say if I said I thought Bee Gees - Night fever & Disco Inferno etc should be played?

I like & could have a dance to both of these but they have as much relevance to the soul scene (my definition) as party time man

Social source share

link

I'd play "Can't help thinking about me" and "Do anything you say" though :)

Social source share

link

Surely Ged the ultimate litmus test is whether people are coming to the gig and dancin or not. As been said before Northern Soul occasionally puts less emphasis on the SOUL part. eg; Velours "I'm gonna change" not sure thats real soul more a 4 Seasons "The Night" sound imo, tho both were well received on the Northen dancefloors and woulda been a pity to ban them for not enough soul content.

As for lyrics again Exciters "blowing up my mind" often touted as the most bizarre, great Northern dance record tho.

Similarly some modern sounds may have less Soul content for purists of 6ts music, but obviously carry enough of that unknown dance factor for the "upstairs gang" which is what attracts most to the Northern Scene.

Many a real good SOUL sound hav'nt taken off too for some reason?

Ultimately the dancefloor rules, if you've been playing a "new" sound for long enough to no reaction its time to change the record.

Danny D

Social source share

Surely Ged the ultimate litmus test is whether people are coming to the gig and dancin or not. As been said before Northern Soul occasionally puts less emphasis on the SOUL part. eg; Velours "I'm gonna change" not sure thats real soul more a 4 Seasons "The Night" sound imo, tho both were well received on the Northen dancefloors and woulda been a pity to ban them for not enough soul content.

As for lyrics again Exciters "blowing up my mind" often touted as the most bizarre, great Northern dance record tho.

Similarly some modern sounds may have less Soul content for purists of 6ts music, but obviously carry enough of that unknown dance factor for the "upstairs gang" which is what attracts most to the Northern Scene.

Many a real good SOUL sound hav'nt taken off too for some reason?

Ultimately the dancefloor rules, if you've been playing a "new" sound for long enough to no reaction its time to change the record.

Danny D

link

Danny you're right up to a point. I would say that where the line is drawn is a matter of opinion. Hence the differences of opinion about some of the suggestions on here about what should and shouldn't have ever got a play. My point is that if the scene is gonna have some integrity (no Aretha Frankilin pun intended) then the fact that people dance to it a record cannot be the sole arbiter of whether or not it belongs on the Northern or rare soul scene.

Social source share

Danny you're right up to a point. I would say that where the line is drawn is a matter of opinion. Hence the differences of opinion about some of the suggestions on here about what should and shouldn't have ever got a play. My point is that if the scene is gonna have some integrity (no Aretha Frankilin pun intended) then the fact that people dance to it a record cannot be the sole arbiter of whether or not it belongs on the Northern or rare soul scene.

link

No Aretha (full stop) would suit me - do I see a can of worms being opened - hey stop throwing those stones it's just IMO

Social source share

link

Spot on again Ged :)

Social source share

link

Ged, i see a difference between Northern & Rare Soul, northern's played at venues with a dancefloor (usually), when the floors empty for a long period its uncomfortable for both the dj and punters, the soul content of some northern records can be argued. Its not the sole arbiter but for me if its getting you on the floor swingin your pants its Northern preferably but not always with a large dose of soul.

Guess what am tryin to say based on original thread is if it was ever a popular record dancefloorwise then its hard to knock it sometime later especially these days when we seem less inclined to dance just to anything the dj spins unlike the 7ts.

opinions eh

:)

Social source share

There is always a lot of conflict about what should or shouldn't be played on the scene particularly when it comes to "pop" stompers etc. In the early days of the Wheel etc there was allsorts played i.e Round Robin "Kick That Little Foot Sally Anne" . Generally the scene revolved around predominently "black" records of a soul or R&B style coupled with "white" sounds withe the appropriate beat or sound and all the punters was happy(I think). Then Dave Godin (RIP) with all the good intentions went to have a look at "The Northern Soul Scene". From this day on the it was labelled a Soul scene and the arguments started.

Please discuss

Paul

PS I am predominantly a soul fan, but also there are many white pop tracks that have been played that I personally love. And others I hate!

Edited by Paul r
Social source share

Ged, i see a difference between Northern & Rare Soul, northern's played at venues with a dancefloor (usually), when the floors empty for a long period its uncomfortable for both the dj and punters, the soul content of some northern records can be argued. Its not the sole arbiter but for me if its getting you on the floor swingin your pants its Northern preferably but not always with a large dose of soul.

Guess what am tryin to say based on original thread is if it was ever a popular record dancefloorwise then its hard to knock it sometime later especially these days when we seem less inclined to dance just to anything the dj spins unlike the 7ts.

opinions eh

ph34r.gif

link

Stomper again I think you are partly right. This whole thread is about knocking things that did fill dancefloors at one time. I too see a distinction between Northern and rare soul, which is why I seperated the two in my post. Whoever was the first to spin the Futures in a Northern room didn't know what dancefloor reaction it would get, a feeling I am all too familiar with BTW. I question the choice of this as an appropriate sound for a Northern room even before a reaction, good, bad or indifferent, from dancers can be gauged.

They obviously had the courage of their convictions, I just wonder how many other cases they need to have taken into consideration :huh:

Social source share

Couldn't agree more. How in the name of sanity were so many people sucked in by the Four Vandals con? Anyone with half an ear for a tune could tell that was cut in a modern studio.

link

Or Veneica Wilson with it's programmed "string arrangement". I was talking to Eddie Hubbard at the "Wockit" when Levine played it - we both "sussed" it straight away. thmbdn.gif

Mods - I think we need a "toilet" icon on here......

Social source share

Guest waynec

Col.

link

someone played gayle adams at bisley a while back.

personally i thought it was shit and judging by the dance floor reaction everyone else did as well whistling.gif

Social source share

OK you guys......not read the whole thread .... but.... are we talkin' Soul Snobbery here ..... soulies in years to come could be saying the same thing about sounds that are being played today by the big named DJs. and some of us are proberly saying the same think today....IMHO

Social source share

The northern scene for me always seems to choose poor quality 70s records to play. They still want to dance to that uptempo beat & pretend it is a sixties stomper. Better still if they can clap and singalong to the meaningless lyrics they can pretend it is actually a 60s tune. Examples listed below.

"Under Your Powerful Love" - Joe Tex

"Messin' With My Mind" - Clarence Carter

Bad 70s records do not make good northern soul.

Social source share

The northern scene for me always seems to choose poor quality 70s records to play. They still want to dance to that uptempo beat & pretend it is a sixties stomper. Better still if they can clap and singalong to the meaningless lyrics they can pretend it is actually a 60s tune. Examples listed below.

link

Joleon Lescott in your avatar...top man whistling.gif

Social source share

link

Talking of crap lyrics:

"I'm in love with you, I hope you love me too,

Oh,my aching heart, it's tearing me apart, ooh baby ooo ooo...."

I know a lot of you on here like that record, so sorry couldn't resist that whistling.gif:huh:

Social source share

Guest mattmale

link

Agreed, but is it crap? Even though it's a con does that make it a bad sound? I for one think it's ok, and i've danced to it in the past knowing it was dodgy.

:huh:

Anyone else like to confess liking the wrong side of town? whistling.gif

matt

Social source share

Guest dodger

link

Not meaning to be Mister Pedantic but didn't that come out around '86?

Agree with what somebody said about growing to dislike tunes with over-exposure - I did a piece in the N.Soul mag about my 'bottom 10' modden tunes I never want to hear again because I was sick of them ending up being 'DJ by numbers' records that any mug could stand behind the decks and fill a dancefloor with (and actually do! whistling.gif ) but if you have a long break from hearing these tunes and dig 'em out and play them again after a year or two, you realise what great records some of them actually are and that's why they were hammered into the ground in the first place!! :huh:

Social source share

but if you have a long break from hearing these tunes and dig 'em out and play them again after a year or two, you realise what great records some of them actually are and that's why they were hammered into the ground in the first place!!  biggrin.gif

link

I did exactly that when I pulled out "In the spirit" the other day - premature for a revival, but sounding good again... : :D

Social source share

Agree with what somebody said about growing to dislike tunes with over-exposure - I did a piece in the N.Soul mag about my 'bottom 10' modden tunes I never want to hear again because I was sick of them ending up being 'DJ by numbers' records that any mug could stand behind the decks and fill a dancefloor with (and actually do!  :D ) but if you have a long break from hearing these tunes and dig 'em out and play them again after a year or two, you realise what great records some of them actually are and that's why they were hammered into the ground in the first place!!  :D

link

Dodger thats exactly what i've tried to put in words cheers, a good record is always a good record irrespective of price, its the lazy dj's who overplay them that need sortin :D

Ged i see what you mean about when first playing "party time" but reckon whoever did their gut instinct and reaction proved correct, albeit its hardly the most soulful tune guess it wont be the last to defy us tho smile.gif

Reckon 4 Vandals woulda been better received if some honesty from start about its origins

Epic if i'm dancin to modern i dont have an urge to pretend its a 6ts track, i love the diversity of todays scene btw anyone know when the "modern northern" classic from Mel Britt was recorded sounds 7ts but then again so does Terry Callier's "look" from 1964.

cheers

Social source share

Hate to be pedantic here but.... the backing track is just a time stretched version of an existing genuine 60's track. Nothing is programmed on it.

Whether you like it or not is an entirely different matter.

I don't and never did- but I know a lot of people who do !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert