Acceptable Radius?

Just was wondering: What is the acceptable radius within which it is permissible to start up another soul night when an established one is already up and running? I can appreciate differences in genre/style/type of music played but even so what is the unwritten law? When is it ok to tread on someones toes without that someone taking offence? Nothing to be done to stop it I know, its always happened and always will as its a `free country` (or so is said) Any thoughts on the matter?

Sharon

Social source share

• Replies 51
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just was wondering: What is the acceptable radius within which it is permissible to start up another soul night when an established one is already up and running? I can appreciate differences in genre/style/type of music played but even so what is the unwritten law? When is it ok to tread on someones toes without that someone taking offence? Nothing to be done to stop it I know, its always happened and always will as its a `free country` (or so is said) Any thoughts on the matter?

Sharon

I would say, find a free night when there is nothing else on within 50 miles. If you are looking at genre, most smaller nights are one room so tend to be across the board so if you start up say an oldies or modern night you may clash with another across the board night even if you think you are providing something different.

Within our area we work together circulating dates as soon as available to avoid any major clashes, which thankfully for 2008 we have managed to do this without any major clashes taking into consideration weekenders, 100 club etc.

We start collecting dates in about Sept/Oct for the follwoing year. The other key, IMHO is not to run to many i.e. every first firday in the month etc because you will always clash with something at some point. Most in our area keep them down to 4-6 a year depending on available dates. Its all about working together.

QoFxx

Social source share

Before even contemplating such a thankless task, just ask yourself whether your event is a positive thing for the scene by offering something genuinely different, or filling a gap in the Calender in your area, or is your new event a negative thing for the scene, by splitting the crowd in what is already a congested calender of events offering a very similar product!

Des Parker

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

If you're part of a local scene you must know local promoters/soulies. I'd say talk to them and work things out between you. As for radius i reckon that can be too random as most people stick to towns or neighbouring towns. The core support of any soul night are the locals supplemented by travellers. I can understand why people feel the need for new soul nights in areas that already have them, probably a desire to play/hear something different, but will it be well received? Does the local crowd want it?

50 miles is far too wide. If we used 50 miles from Nuneaton, that would take in Birmingham, Leicester, Coventry, Rugby, probably even Derby and Nottingham plus several major towns. I reckon there must be something on every Friday/Saturday of the year already in that radius.

Good luck any way Sharon, hope it does work out :rolleyes:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Before even contemplating such a thankless task, just ask yourself whether your event is a positive thing for the scene by offering something genuinely different, or filling a gap in the Calender in your area, or is your new event a negative thing for the scene, by splitting the crowd in what is already a congested calender of events offering a very similar product!

Des Parker

Good Post....Thats the way to see it ideally.However there are more DJs than punters out there and these clashes are often power base struggles.If a local DJ is not flavour of the month he starts a rival night .Bit like window cleaning roounds..

Social source share

Good Post....Thats the way to see it ideally.However there are more DJs than punters out there and these clashes are often power base struggles.If a local DJ is not flavour of the month he starts a rival night .Bit like window cleaning roounds..

Both sensible words. I love the quote Nusha -spot on. Matt hit the nail on the head as well- in that its not always geographical distance - it can be area based and crowd specific.

Personally I say good luck to all those who want to promote - it can be a nightmare and it can be the sweetest feeling going when it all goes right in the end and people enjoy themselves.Because in the end that is what its about, not a pissing match to see who has what. Mark.

Social source share

YES DAVE BUT I BELIEVE THEY ARE ON DIFFERENT DATES

AND AS FAR AS I KNOW THE ONE AT THE ZOO IS A ONE OFF NIGHT

MAX

Yes the two nights are on different dates, but one clashes with Essington, and the other with the Connaught hotel, both within eight miles, and in fairness all four nights will have very similar music policies because all four nights have used the same DJs. In addition to these four nights there is also Goodyears, with again a very similar music policy, plus one in Tettenhall (If it's still running), plus at least one in Walsall, plus Brookfields, plus God knows how many other ones that I can't remember.

Incidentaly regarding the station being a one off, Jellybean the promoter said "And it maybe a ~ one off event " the italics are mine, because the use of the word 'maybe' implies that it isn't a one off.

Social source share

Guest toffee lady

well in the next couple of months in Dudley there's one night starting at the zoo, and one across the road and 200 yards away at the station hotel

Same thing happened with Lowton, another venue started just down the road, same night, same music policy, they even put their flyers out at Lowton the other month :yes:

Social source share

Yes the two nights are on different dates, but one clashes with Essington, and the other with the Connaught hotel, both within eight miles, and in fairness all four nights will have very similar music policies because all four nights have used the same DJs. In addition to these four nights there is also Goodyears, with again a very similar music policy, plus one in Tettenhall (If it's still running), plus at least one in Walsall, plus Brookfields, plus God knows how many other ones that I can't remember.

Incidentaly regarding the station being a one off, Jellybean the promoter said "And it maybe a ~ one off event " the italics are mine, because the use of the word 'maybe' implies that it isn't a one off.

Yes Dave we are now in competition with three other nights on the first Friday of every month , Junction 9 soul club at Bescot which has been established for some time , Kenny Lee has just started a new night in Cradeley Working mens club and now this new one at Dudley zoo.

Glad we're back underground in Cellarfull of soul for the near future with one or two exceptions because this is bound to affect attendances at all venues. There is also the novelty curiosty value at all new venues when they first open which draw some of your regulars away.

Just something we have to live with.

Social source share

Incidentaly regarding the station being a one off, Jellybean the promoter ( I am not a promoter of any venue Dave :Djust helping Ritchie out who is the promoter of Queen Mary :yes: not Station :P and i did say "maybe" because i,m not quite sure about the dealings Ritchie has had with them at the Queen Mary.......so thought i,d best put it like that just incase!!! :( .....JB xxx)said "And it maybe a ~ one off event " the italics are mine, because the use of the word 'maybe' implies that it isn't a one off.

Social source share

Yes Dave we are now in competition with three other nights on the first Friday of every month , Junction 9 soul club at Bescot which has been established for some time , Kenny Lee has just started a new night in Cradeley Working mens club and now this new one at Dudley zoo.

Glad we're back underground in Cellarfull of soul for the near future with one or two exceptions because this is bound to affect attendances at all venues. There is also the novelty curiosty value at all new venues when they first open which draw some of your regulars away.

Just something we have to live with.

Christ!.. I thought we had it bad!.. glad I'm not in the midlands. :yes:

It's a pain when it happens but freedom of choice and all that. Established nights theoretically have the benefit of being established to keep the crowd in the long term when a new night opens in the area, once novelty wears off, if you're got a quality night surely you'll be ok?.. well, in theory anyway....

As far as distance, it wouldn't be "good manners" / good etiquete (call it what you want) to open another night in the same city as an established event, unless as others have said, you've got something different to offer. To do it for the sake of wanting to be a promoter just divides your local crowd.

Why anyone would want to start a new night when a percentage of their possible crowd could be elsewhere at an established venue beats me too..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Sharon

I guess it all depends on your point of view. If you believe that the Northern Soul scene

is an amatuer boys and girls club where we are all "good mates" then yes let's by all means

take all these issues into consideration.

If on the other hand you think that it's a pure commercial decision then make

that commercial judgement. You may of course get it all wrong, there are many stories

of venues having an attendence figure of 20 or less, or..........if you research it

well, get the right DJ's and music policy, a great venue then good luck to you.

after you pays your money and you takes your choice, cream will always rise to the top.

Chris L

Social source share

Des Parker

Here, here Des, scary this as I was thinking the very same thing as I pressed to view your reply, so no need for me to post now just 100% agree with all of what you have said.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

But Dave out of all the venues you,ve mentioned "The Queen Mary" does have a difference :yes: with the fact that this night will have "Sol - Ritchie" singing live.......and apart from that i don,t DJ anywhere else other than the K/Ford con club which is on a Sunday night so not clashing with anything there :D:P ......JB xxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

Yes the two nights are on different dates, but one clashes with Essington, and the other with the Connaught hotel, both within eight miles, and in fairness all four nights will have very similar music policies because all four nights have used the same DJs.

This is a very important point and it's one of the reasons I don't go to a lot of local do's. Same dj's at every venue. I know the promoters think that by having these dj's names on their adverts they'll get people in but if you go to venues every week you'll eventually start to think "hmm, so and so's on again, I heard him last week". So that's one reason for not attending. The second is the music policies at most places I've been to. They are all over the place. Because most of the punters are scared of anything that wasn't played at the Torch, Cats or Wigan, the dj's have to rely on the old chestnuts time after time, and I feel very sorry for them because people just won't dance - I've found this myself. There's definitely too many venues round here and not enough punters to go round. I thought Jellybean's idea of a sunday night do was a really great idea (shame I didn't find out about it til it was too late) and I'd love to see the return of the midweek soul night too - anyone remember Halesowen Tiffanies? Mix the dj's up a bit, mix the sounds up a bit, I'd be happy to attend. Oh and before certain people start telling everyone I've been slagging all West Midlands dj's off - show me where.

Social source share

I thought Jellybean's idea of a sunday night do was a really great idea (shame I didn't find out about it til it was too late) and I'd love to see the return of the midweek soul night too - anyone remember Halesowen Tiffanies? Mix the dj's up a bit, mix the sounds up a bit, I'd be happy to attend.

Hiya Pete,

Thanks but can,t take the credit for that it was,nt my idea for a Sunday, it was Ritchie who approached me & Martin to DJ for him.It was a lovely night though and you,d have enjoyed it i,m sure :huh: And by the way the "RAVEN PUB" in Brierley Hill is on last Thursday of every month. Its run by Bill Bishop & Jamie Carr,its a great chill night rolleyes.gif and you definately hear different toons. thumbsup.gif

JB xxxx

Social source share

If you're part of a local scene you must know local promoters/soulies. I'd say talk to them and work things out between you. As for radius i reckon that can be too random as most people stick to towns or neighbouring towns. The core support of any soul night are the locals supplemented by travellers. I can understand why people feel the need for new soul nights in areas that already have them, probably a desire to play/hear something different, but will it be well received? Does the local crowd want it?

50 miles is far too wide. If we used 50 miles from Nuneaton, that would take in Birmingham, Leicester, Coventry, Rugby, probably even Derby and Nottingham plus several major towns. I reckon there must be something on every Friday/Saturday of the year already in that radius.

Good luck any way Sharon, hope it does work out thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the best wishes but this was just a general question due to the recent comments about distance and the apparent `treading on toes` of other promoters. I know this has gone on for years and as I said in the original post will continue to do so I am sure. In the Notts/Derbys/ South Yorkshire area there are plenty of nights that address the full gamut of differences that would appeal to most tastes I would think; albeit there may not be something on any given night that appeals to all what I can`t see personally is how an addition of one more do on a night that is very similar in genre to one already in existence on the same night improves the scene as a whole but each to their own as they say. The thing is I suppose potential promoters want to `give it a go` so good luck to them as they must see a gap in the market that they think they will address by their own brand of soul night.

Social source share

But Dave out of all the venues you,ve mentioned "The Queen Mary" does have a difference yes.gif with the fact that this night will have "Sol - Ritchie" singing live.......and apart from that i don,t DJ anywhere else other than the K/Ford con club which is on a Sunday night so not clashing with anything there no.gif:huh: ......JB xxx

Hmmm, does it ? It's the same DJs and and the same Sol Ritchie singing live as the night you put on last Sunday. So how is it different ? Especially as I gather Max is going to put him on at Essington.

I thought you had also DJ'ed at Essington and the Holly Bush in the past few months, so what are you playing different to those spots ?

I'm not having a dig at you personally either, I have every respect for anyone that has the nerve to get up behind the decks, it just happens that you are the person who replied.

Perhaps Pete S makes the point better than I'm trying to. It just seems that the existing Soul nights in the West Midlands are all very similar, and I wonder whether there are simply enough punters to support three new ones. As Craig says, there are now three soul nights on the same night, within a ten mile radius of each other. That just means the punters will be split three ways, and none of the nights will be particularly successful. Again, perhaps Des made the point more succinctly than me. Do any of the new nights add anything to the soul scene in this area ? If they don't, running three similar nights on the same Friday night will just mean that none of them will be financially viable, and none of them will be successful in terms of numbers and atmosphere.

Social source share

Hmmm, does it ? It's the same DJs and and the same Sol Ritchie singing live as the night you put on last Sunday. So how is it different ? Especially as I gather Max is going to put him on at Essington.

Sol - Ritchie is only singing a couple of songs at Essington....just as like a little taster of what to expect at "Queen Mary" so its not going to be regular every month!!! :lol: And yes!! It is the same type of night yes.gif but its on a Sunday and we are hoping to get the locals in aswell and also its great for peeps that for one reason or another,can,t get to go out on a Friday or Saturday!! :D

I thought you had also DJ'ed at Essington and the Holly Bush in the past few months, so what are you playing different to those spots ? I have done at Essington "YES" but mainly to help out when Wulfie,s on shifts....and me & Martin have been dropped from the Hollybush yes.gif i ain,t too proud to say!! wink.gif

I'm not having a dig at you personally either, I have every respect for anyone that has the nerve to get up behind the decks, it just happens that you are the person who replied. I know you ain,t having a dig Dave :Dwink.gif

Perhaps Pete S makes the point better than I'm trying to. It just seems that the existing Soul nights in the West Midlands are all very similar, and I wonder whether there are simply enough punters to support three new ones. As Craig says, there are now three soul nights on the same night, If me or Martin had been told of the date beforehand at "Queen Mary" we would have said "NO" straight away!!! And would have try to get a better date!! To not clash but thats almost an impossible thing to do!!! :huh:.......JB xxxx wink.gif within a ten mile radius of each other. That just means the punters will be split three ways, and none of the nights will be particularly successful. Again, perhaps Des made the point more succinctly than me. Do any of the new nights add anything to the soul scene in this area If they don't, running three similar nights on the same Friday night will just mean that none of them will be financially viable, and none of them will be successful in terms of numbers and atmosphere.

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

. As Craig says, there are now three soul nights on the same night, within a ten mile radius of each other. That just means the punters will be split three ways, and none of the nights will be particularly successful.

Three at the moment within a 10 mile radius but there will be four soul nights on the first Friday of every month from April including The Connaught when Dudley zoo starts.

Totally and utterly unbelievable.

Social source share

Why didn't you just check before you accepted.

It seems to me that some people need to learn the art of communication...."IT'S GOOD TO TALK". Not all the promoters in the areas our spreadsheet cover see eye to eye, but having one person who is not a promoter or a DJ (ME) and is totally impartial pulling it together we seem to avoid major clashes. As I said before we also list other key dates where we know people in our area are likely to travel to i.e. 100 club, Rugby All nighters, Rayleigh, Prestatyn, Solid Hit Soul and Cleethorpes. there are some nights not included in our lists but that is down to the promoters. Requests for dates for the are posted on here ongoing from about September the previous year so its up to the promotors to contact us if they want to be included and regular updates are circulated through a mailing list.

With the one small night that I am involved in, Blue Skies in London we don't have a regular date, just wait and find a gap in the calendar when we feel none of our punters will be else where, book it, but this is more of a get together than a full on soul night, mind you the quality of the DJs and music is top notch and would be difficult to match for this type of small night. We purposley did not want to go up against any one but just fill a gap on the odd Friday night when we knew like minded people had nothing else on. Its all about soul night complementing each other and not competing.

I always find the new nights start up against established ones when would be DJs think they can do better and very seldom do they achieve this.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Three at the moment within a 10 mile radius but there will be four soul nights on the first Friday of every month from April including The Connaught when Dudley zoo starts.

Totally and utterly unbelievable.

Craig it looks like the only thing you can do is come up with an idea which will make the Connaught the only one worth visiting that night. I dunno, the first 30 in get 100 free cd's each (and I do you one disc with 100 cd's on, 30 copies of)...

also, I've told you this before, you could reach over 1500 people if you'd just email me the details and I'd send them out to my mailing list for nothing.. you could put it on my website as well. You and Chalky deserve to succeed and I'd always be happy to help out if I can.

Social source share

I thought you had also DJ'ed at Essington and the Holly Bush in the past few months, so what are you playing different to those spots ?

I'm not having a dig at you personally either, I have every respect for anyone that has the nerve to get up behind the decks, it just happens that you are the person who replied.

Perhaps Pete S makes the point better than I'm trying to. It just seems that the existing Soul nights in the West Midlands are all very similar, and I wonder whether there are simply enough punters to support three new ones. As Craig says, there are now three soul nights on the same night, within a ten mile radius of each other. That just means the punters will be split three ways, and none of the nights will be particularly successful. Again, perhaps Des made the point more succinctly than me. Do any of the new nights add anything to the soul scene in this area ? If they don't, running three similar nights on the same Friday night will just mean that none of them will be financially viable, and none of them will be successful in terms of numbers and atmosphere.

Good debate folks and some good calls thoughout the thread. Can I join in. Surely we're into the old supply and demand argument aren't we? If there's a need - fill it, if not, don't bother. Living in Somerset, I don't have the luxury of choosing where I go to dance and it usually involves a car journey of at least an hour. I rely on trips back up North to get my fix where there's always plenty of choice, maybe too much now. Are we nearly at saturation point? I think so. Has the popularity of the scene reached it's maximum? Yes, probably - the scene has certain attractions for those of a certain age (me included) who can have a good laugh with like-minded people and get a dance to boot which for most others in our age group is not necessarily available. That said, I think it's only a matter of time before that bow wave subsides once the more "casual" punters have had their fill. For me, I'll keep going but not for long if I get the same DJs with the same sets every week (I don't care how rare their records are!), if I get venues with bad dancefloors and poor sound systems, and if I get tired oldies and am told "you weren't there" cos I'm too young to have gone to the Twisted Wheel! Only time will tell and people ultimately vote with their feet. We don't have to go back very far to remember that the die-hards on this scene are relatively very few in number. Let's enjoy it while we can.

Social source share

Yes Great debate if you're not in the middle of it ~ I am particularly worried about how things are going and how long before healthy competition becomes more competetive by any means ~ it is a pity that there is no communication between promoters if there was being as we nearly all know one another in the west mids we would be supporting one another ~ not the other way round ~ it may get a bit tribal ~ I know that two events I have attended regularly on different Friday nights will soon be clashing with each other How difficult does that make your loyalty to promoters and friends ~ very difficult I say !!! Should I stay in and not go to either should I travel out of town ~ ideally I'd like to go to venues that are local with friends What are the chances !!!!!!!

Luv Dawniedingle xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Social source share

Yes Great debate if you're not in the middle of it ~ I am particularly worried about how things are going and how long before healthy competition becomes more competetive by any means ~ it is a pity that there is no communication between promoters if there was being as we nearly all know one another in the west mids we would be supporting one another ~ not the other way round ~ it may get a bit tribal ~ I know that two events I have attended regularly on different Friday nights will soon be clashing with each other How difficult does that make your loyalty to promoters and friends ~ very difficult I say !!! Should I stay in and not go to either should I travel out of town ~ ideally I'd like to go to venues that are local with friends What are the chances !!!!!!!

Luv Dawniedingle xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well promotor A could get in touch with promotor B and say look, instead of having our two events clashing, why don't we join forces and present one bigger event. If that is unacceptable to one of the parties, it probably means it's all about the money...

Social source share

Craig it looks like the only thing you can do is come up with an idea which will make the Connaught the only one worth visiting that night. I dunno, the first 30 in get 100 free cd's each (and I do you one disc with 100 cd's on, 30 copies of)...

also, I've told you this before, you could reach over 1500 people if you'd just email me the details and I'd send them out to my mailing list for nothing.. you could put it on my website as well. You and Chalky deserve to succeed and I'd always be happy to help out if I can.

Thanks for the support and kind comments Pete ! Everyone knows in the West Midlands that the first Friday in Each month it's The Connaught Hotel and Jct 9 Walsall soul nights so if any other promoters and DJs decided to start a new venue on the same night they do know what they would be clashing with ! who Ever is the promoter at the new Venue In Dudley "I wish them all the best" but they did know that they would be clashing with us and Jct 9 so couldn't they have changed the date ? I'm surley 100% that they would have been other fridays availble as I've also spoken to Queen mary in the past to them about soul nights their , but like the true fact yet again it's a case of clashing on the second and third friday of the each month with other venues it may be a case it was best for them clashing with us and jct 9 and also it's about promoters and DJ's from the same venue's Djing at other local places. and please I have no conflict with Queen Mary soul nights starting in April like I clearly state " Good Luck and all the Very Best ".

Social source share

Thanks for the support and kind comments Pete ! Everyone knows in the West Midlands that the first Friday in Each month it's The Connaught Hotel and Jct 9 Walsall soul nights so if any other promoters and DJs decided to start a new venue on the same night they do know what they would be clashing with ! who Ever is the promoter at the new Venue In Dudley "I wish them all the best" but they did know that they would be clashing with us and Jct 9 so couldn't they have changed the date ? I'm surley 100% that they would have been other fridays availble as I've also spoken to Queen mary in the past to them about soul nights their , but like the true fact yet again it's a case of clashing on the second and third friday of the each month with other venues it may be a case it was best for them clashing with us and jct 9 and also it's about promoters and DJ's from the same venue's Djing at other local places. and please I have no conflict with Queen Mary soul nights starting in April like I clearly state " Good Luck and all the Very Best ".

I see where your coming from Chalky ~ Its a no win situation you can only carry on doing ya best and trying to please everyone (a hard task nowadays) ~ but I know that both you and Craig studied all the dates before deciding the Connaught nite and came to the first Friday of the month after being told by a Promoter that a certain venue was finishing so it would be the only night on ~ Like yourself I wish everyone success in what they do I just think its gonna be very difficult for everyone to be successful an its a shame ~

Luv dawniedingle xxxxxxxxx

Social source share

Well promotor A could get in touch with promotor B and say look, instead of having our two events clashing, why don't we join forces and present one bigger event. If that is unacceptable to one of the parties, it probably means it's all about the money...

Pete what a fabulous idea ~~

I've had a recent conversation about this ~ what a fabulous nite it would be ~ but who would be in charge wicked.gif ~ I can speak for Craig in the fact that it aint about the money its quite the opposite :huh: rolleyes.gif

Luv Dawniedinglexxxxxxxxx

Social source share

Pete what a fabulous idea ~~

I've had a recent conversation about this ~ what a fabulous nite it would be ~ but who would be in charge :sleep3: ~ I can speak for Craig in the fact that it aint about the money its quite the opposite :D rolleyes.gif

Luv Dawniedinglexxxxxxxxx

Yeah I'd be in charge. :D

I know that about Craig, Dawn.

Did you notice Nige Brown's announced a new soul night in Brewood, so there's another one to add to the list of possible venue clashes.

Social source share

Just want to make things clear!!! So here goes.......

Ritchie who is the singer and promoter at "Queen Mary" first of all approached a local DJ to DJ at a venue.But because he had no response from him,he asked me & Martin to DJ for him instead and we both said yes. He also asked Max to be a guest!! The first venue he looked at was in Birmingham,but neither of us were keen on the idea!! So Ritchie knocked that one on the head. After a couple of weeks he had been to look at a venue and he was happy with it and booked and paid up front there and then!! He then told us all about it to which we replyed it clashes with the Connaught & J9!! And we suggested him changing the date!! But he said that this was the only date available and he that had also booked Dave Evison. I will make a stand for Ritchie and say that he had,nt realised the clash,and booked it without realising. But at the time anyway there were no other known venues in Dudley.

Wish peeps would,nt keep thinking that i,m a promoter.......cos i ain,t as i,ve already stated!!! The only thing i,ve ever done concerning venues, is to support the venue, and the promoters of the venues that mean something to me!!! This i have done and will continue to do so by putting flyers out.......posting up in events & event lookbacks.........and word of mouth!!! These are some venues i have personally done this for with pleasure.......

Essington (Broad Lane)

Goodyears

Lea Hall (Rugely)

J9

J11

WWMC

Tettenhall

Studio 1

The Raven (Brierley Hill)

Connaught

Hollybush

The 44 Club

Birchley Suite

Brookfields (Stables)

Bishops Wood

Stafford Rangers now (Soul Academy)

Winsford & Kings Hall (2 fave allnighter venues)

Just like to add before i finish.......any DJ in i have done is because i,ve been asked to do it!!! And will gladly do it purely for pleasure & passion!!!

Helen (JB)

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

Hi Helen

I know you DJ for the love of it and would like to thank you for the great spots you and Martin have done at our nights and it is honestly appreciated. thumbsup.gif

As for The Hollybush decision it was not a personal one aimed at you and Martin but one taken due to other circumstances to do with the booking of the venue and it was taken in the interests of this were taken in mind along with other factors. I will explain in person when I see you.

Social source share

Hi Helen

I know you DJ for the love of it and would like to thank you for the great spots you and Martin have done at our nights and it is honestly appreciated. thumbsup.gif

As for The Hollybush decision it was not a personal one aimed at you and Martin but one taken due to other circumstances to do with the booking of the venue and it was taken in the interests of this were taken in mind along with other factors. I will explain in person when I see you.

Hiya Craig,

No probs!!! I know you appreciated me & Martin,s help....as we appreciated you asking us :D There,s no need to explain Craig!! :D we would be glad to help you out anytime!!! :sleep3:

JB & Martin xxx

Social source share

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Yeah I'd be in charge. :D

I know that about Craig, Dawn.

Did you notice Nige Brown's announced a new soul night in Brewood, so there's another one to add to the list of possible venue clashes.

Well that would be sommat to see with you in charge :D you would have your work cut out for ya ~ as for another new venue ~ what can I say swoon.gif

Only joking good luck to everyone involved :sleep3:

Luv Dawniedingle xxxxxxxxx

Social source share

Hands up it was me that I got introduced to Ritchie about him singing. Right I phoned Bill Randle and I told him all about Ritchie because Bill Runs Jct 2 and helps me with Soul nights there and we have had live soul acts with Bobby Taylor , Kim Weston , Marvin Ruffin, The Elgin's etc. in the past. at first Bill said who is he and I stated that he covers Northern songs Bills first reply was look at how many we Had When the Elgin's was live their only 100 , so he said it would not be worth his time after paying Ritchie what Ritchie wanted in his fee , I told Ritchie that and all about how Bill works with the room and Bar takings and he said he understands, But Bill stated Ritchie could hire the room at any time as long as it was not booked for the price I stated to him and I said I would help to DJ , then sometime weeks later Bill phoned me to say I could have the room for a soul night and Knowing the low crowd we have had there in the past I suggested to Bill maybe Ritchie could sing their and Bill said it was up to me so i called Ritchie to tell him all about this and the date only to find Ritchie could not make it on the date we had, so I never put the night on and we was back to square one. as it stands Bill would let Ritchie Hire the Room which I Have told Ritchie when he wanted it to Go down and Talk to Bill. I did mention to Ritchie maybe we could use him at The Hollybush but this Never Happened. So I think he did have response from Me and was unfair to state not. I have no conflict with Ritchie and I wish him well wherever He performs at , and also I hate mentioning Peoples names like a good Friend of mine Bill Randle in all this but i wanted to tell it how it was !! because Bill Knows I've tried to help Ritchie.

As Ritchie is the promoter at Queen Mary yet again I wish Him all the Best as I know he wanted to sing in the first place when he approched me.

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

As For me I DJ and Help with Artist's coming over simple for the love and respect and Passion and Never for the Money side and I will contine to do so for the future until like i said on another thread until I say enough is enough. Roll on with The Metros looking forward to this night.

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

Sharon

Going back to Sharon's original question and leaving the in fighting on the midlands to one side. CHeck how far your local crowd usually travel, check with other pormoters in the area or other large nights liable to effect numbers i.e. Middleton, Stoke, Rugby and talk to your prospective punters and fellow promoters....and work with them not against them thumbsup.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

Going back to Sharon's original question and leaving the in fighting on the midlands to one side. CHeck how far your local crowd usually travel, check with other pormoters in the area or other large nights liable to effect numbers i.e. Middleton, Stoke, Rugby and talk to your prospective punters and fellow promoters....and work with them not against them thumbsup.gif

QoFxx

I suppose its all down to choice ,when certain punters was on the scene at the their particular time in history...So we have alot of choice hence alot of venues....Its no surprise to me that theres alot of venues in the northern strongholds because in the late sixties- seventies northern soul was the scene, in some areas alot longer than the seventies.So whatever your choice maybe theres a venue out there to cater for your every need...Enjoy...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert