Mods "v" Scooterists

ImberBoy

MODS "V" SCOOTERISTS SOUL Saviours

The British "Mod Scene" isn't as huge as it once was but it is certainly as deeply complex and multi-tiered as any youth sub culture with music as diverse as the Who, Ska, Britpop, to name but a few.

When the dust from the 1979 Mod revival settled there was a cringe of embarrassment as thousands of lambretta and Vespa riding youths saw their association with "Mod" as shallow and contrived. This spawned the monster offspring we now know as "Scooter Boys" that later became "Scooterists".

Now this phenomenon is well documented but what may not be as well known is how much the "Mods" and "Scooterists" supported the northernsoul Scene during the lean years adding their own flavour and stamp of approval to some of the sounds we have on the Northernsoul Scene now.

I am convinced that the "Mod" influence at the 100 Club saved the Northernsoul Scene, strong words but I truly believe that their patronage and passion for the music carried a wounded dove abandoned by most on this list for many a year nursing life until the born again Soulies saw their youngest off to uni.

At the same time, and running parallel there where the National Scooter Runs, where large numbers of mid to late twenty some things where meeting to party and enjoy their passion for all things Scootering (former mods). The Run DJ's where not bound by any pre conceived boundaries and played good and not so good music to an audience eager to revel in their own scene.

High on the menu but not necessarily "Dish of the day" was, and still is, "Northernsoul". Now we are not talking about the latest Northernsoul floor clearers found hidden behind a toilet in a burger bar in Detroit, you will find the Snake, and you will find Frank Wilson being played. I don't think there where any discoveries?

I do know there where sounds played that helped prop up the northernsoul Scene, can you name any? Here are a few.

Mel Britt - She'll Come Running Back

Vibrations - Cause You're Mine

Drifters - You Got to Pay Your Dues

Marie Knight - That's No Way to Treat a Girl

Dean Parrish - Determination

Doris Troy - I'll Do Anything

Nolan Porter - Keep On Keeping On

Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up

Social source share

• Replies 99
  • Views 21.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Esther Phillips

Just Say Goodbye

Was a big mod/Scooterist tune

and as I sit here posting and remembering back then

Dena Barnes

If you ever walk out of my lfe

Another massive choon

Social source share

soul source test

Guest Trevski

"When the dust from the 1979 Mod revival settled there was a cringe of embarrassment as thousands of lambretta and Vespa riding youths saw their association with “Mod” as shallow and contrived. This spawned the monster offspring we now know as “Scooter Boys” that later became “Scooterists”.

Think the scooterboys were active long before '79. I remember lines of scooters outside do's in york in '70-'71. A lot of the early wheel/torch goers in York, and the original '69 skins rode lammies. Deffo didn't class themselves as mods. We uses to call 'em 'Smoothies' or 'Scooter boys' :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Fortune Teller spawned a thousand murals when I was going on the rallies.

Magic Touch was also a monster tune.

Maybe your theory re the 100 club is well based.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

No, not quite correct. The term Scooter Boy was never purposefully used to show distance from Mods until after the Mod revival died. Seventies Scooter Clubs where never aware of the divide because there wasn't a divide, there where never hoards of suit wearing Mods in any great numbers north or south of the Watford Gap and established clubs like The Beverley Mods Scooter Club, The Stockport Mod Squad, The Modropheniacs and The Chorley Mods all called them selves Mods because the term "Mod" had not become a dirty word as it did in the mid and late eighties.

The Seventies era was pre mobile phone and pre internet so you had little to no idea what was happening over the county borders, and Scarborough was the meeting place for Seventies Mods and it was only here that you would get the odd fanzine like Martin Dickson's "Scooter Scene" later to evolve into Scootering International after its time in the wilderness.

Seventies Northern Mods did not wear drain pipe trousers and Fred Perry's they wore the cloths of the day and did not look too far away from those who those who frequented Wigan.

Social source share

Don't disagree with you Simon, but what is the point you're trying to make? Of course mods and scooterists are into soul music, as they are ska and reggae, and r'n'b...crossover with all these scenes is huge. The soul scene has never just attracted self-confessed hardcore 'soulies' for the last 30 years. If it did it would be a lot smaller scene than it is today.

Now you've got me thinking: who is next to 'save' the soul scene? And, in fact, does it need 'saving'?

*stands well back as mass debate marches into view*

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Madeline Bell - Picture Me Gone

Seemed to be a big one on the rallies in 1984 (from what I remember :thumbsup: ) Those were the days, and I'd do it all again :wicked:

Great clip of Morecombe 1984 rally on U-Tube, did look to see if I was on it, can't find me, might be a blessing really :D

Social source share

Guest the dukester

No, not quite correct. The term Scooter Boy was never purposefully used to show distance from Mods until after the Mod revival died. Seventies Scooter Clubs where never aware of the divide because there wasn't a divide, there where never hoards of suit wearing Mods in any great numbers north or south of the Watford Gap and established clubs like The Beverley Mods Scooter Club, The Stockport Mod Squad, The Modropheniacs and The Chorley Mods all called them selves Mods because the term "Mod" had not become a dirty word as it did in the mid and late eighties.

The Seventies era was pre mobile phone and pre internet so you had little to no idea what was happening over the county borders, and Scarborough was the meeting place for Seventies Mods and it was only here that you would get the odd fanzine like Martin Dickson's "Scooter Scene" later to evolve into Scootering International after its time in the wilderness.

Seventies Northern Mods did not wear drain pipe trousers and Fred Perry's they wore the cloths of the day and did not look too far away from those who those who frequented Wigan.

The fanzine was Scootermania wasnt it ?

Social source share

yes it was scootermania...wicked magazine and a top bloke..what happened to him ???

the best daze of my life without a doubt,like so many after two tonw and punk got shite i was dabblin with "new"mod scene in 83 until i went on a national rally that is....went in jam shoes and dog trooth sta-press within 3 weeks by the next one i had air-wair and army greens.....but i am proud to say not one of my scoots has ever had any mirrors or extra lights on it !!!

northern tunes that take me back are....

hes coming home/beverly ann

right track/billy butler

i wanna give you tomorrow/benny troy

shoes/bobby bland

champion/willie mitchell

i play at a lot of scooter gigs around the south west and played at iow,margate and the winter warmer at hemsby last year and while there are a lot of "real" soul fans in the soul rooms who know their stuff all the "over played " stuff you wont hear at soul nights still fills the floor and everyone still loves it with the same passion they did 20 odd years ago....

the debate about too much northern on rallies or the "same old same old debate "is often discussed on scooter forums but the truth is thats what the majority of people their want...

Social source share

Mid 80's scooter run soul

Beverly Ann - He's Coming Home

Greg Perry - It Takes Heart

Billy Butler - Right Track

Frankie Valli & 4 Seasons - The Night

NF Porter - Keep On Keepin' On

The Vibrations - Cause You're Mine

Major Lance - You Don't Want Me No More

Alfie Davison - Love Is A Serious Business

Detroit Prophets - Suspicion

Ray Charles - I Don't Need No Doctor

Bobby Paris - Night Owl

Ronnie Dyson - Lady In Red

Derek & Ray - Interplay

Matt Parsons Orchestra - Boogaloo Investigator (aka Mike Vickers - On The Brink)

Al Wilson - The Snake

Sister Sledge - Love Don't Go Through No Changes

The Capitols - Cool Jerk

Benny Spellman - Fortune Teller

Frank Beverly & The Butlers - If That's What You Wanted

The Showmen - Our Love Will Grow

anything by Edwin Starr

Plus not forgetting the must have scooterist soul record :D :post-1182-1202921257_thumb.jpg

Edited by Supercorsa
Social source share

mmmmmmmmmmm , i personally think the soul we get played on rallies at the main do is a bit too mediocre ( have i spelt that right ) , and yeah of course everyone gets up and dances because , its what,s getting played or nothing and knowing that the next hour or so is going to be ska , mod or a band playing , of course there is exceptions like whitby , iow , mersea island where they have rooms dedicated to northern soul ,,,,,,, still i suppose its whatever you,ve got in your box ( or your cd collection )there is one guy that always put on a decent set , and that is the legendary rally dj : tony class.

Social source share

At the rallies and scooter club dances I've been to in Scotland at least (I don't take my "trusty" steed south of the border much), over the last couple of years we've been dancing to soul of one sort or another for the best part of each night. However the live acts for the most part are still indie/punk/ska etc. etc. Saying that, the soul room at the Kelso rally was packed last year and I'm expecting this year's rally will be the highlight of my scootering year.

Some examples of tunes that gets the crowds going are Magic Touch, Just a Little Misunderstanding/Keep On Keeping On, Jeanette, Landslide, 25 Miles.

Billy Ocean's Red Light Spells Danger is huge.

The scooter scene doesn't seem to be an exclusive elitist thing, I was welcomed with open arms and i don't conform to the traditional role of either Scooterboy, Mod (or soulie for that matter ohmy.gif ). I'm probably closer to "hell's angel" than any of those!

If you were to come to a scooter rally on anything other than a scooter though, that's a different story, but that's one for another day.

First post by the way, nice to be here :ohmy:

Social source share

At the rallies and scooter club dances I've been to in Scotland at least (I don't take my "trusty" steed south of the border much), over the last couple of years we've been dancing to soul of one sort or another for the best part of each night. However the live acts for the most part are still indie/punk/ska etc. etc. Saying that, the soul room at the Kelso rally was packed last year and I'm expecting this year's rally will be the highlight of my scootering year.

Some examples of tunes that gets the crowds going are Magic Touch, Just a Little Misunderstanding/Keep On Keeping On, Jeanette, Landslide, 25 Miles.

Billy Ocean's Red Light Spells Danger is huge.

The scooter scene doesn't seem to be an exclusive elitist thing, I was welcomed with open arms and i don't conform to the traditional role of either Scooterboy, Mod (or soulie for that matter ohmy.gif ). I'm probably closer to "hell's angel" than any of those!

If you were to come to a scooter rally on anything other than a scooter though, that's a different story, but that's one for another day.

First post by the way, nice to be here :ohmy:

Always see the Scottish lads on the runs; a lot of The Armed Forces Scooter club guys enjoy duel club membership with their local scooter clubs and ours.

I am going to Kelso this year, fantastic run and yes there is a deep vein of soul running through the Scottish Scooterists.

Social source share

stuart lanning started scooter scene magazine from british scooter scene that moved on to scootering then scootering international stuart then sold out when his wife passed away...... martin used to write an A5 magazine called Scootermania magazine.. Northern on scooter scene.. some of the northern dj of the time crossed over to the scooter scene John Buck, Clive jones, Chris king to name a few, alot of tunes that were making it big at Stafford during Mid 80s found there way onto scooter scene Tommy navaro, doug banks, delcos, etc.. was never a mod got my first lambreta 1978, and still got it too, used to travel to wigan then stafford on it before i could afford a car clothing i wore spencers or jeans fred perry, or short sleeved benny, blazer crombie or army greycoat, then a sheepy when i managed to afford one.. Modrapheniacs,, cant ever remember john lovin martin weeks ever being mods, but thats not to say they wernt, looking back at old photos parkers were worn pre mod revival, but so were donkey jackets.. hope this helps

munchkin

Social source share

mmmmmmmmmmm , i personally think the soul we get played on rallies at the main do is a bit too mediocre ( have i spelt that right ) , and yeah of course everyone gets up and dances because , its what,s getting played or nothing and knowing that the next hour or so is going to be ska , mod or a band playing , of course there is exceptions like whitby , iow , mersea island where they have rooms dedicated to northern soul ,,,,,,, still i suppose its whatever you,ve got in your box ( or your cd collection )there is one guy that always put on a decent set , and that is the legendary rally dj : tony class.

tony class what an hero lol, remember gt yarmouth and the on stage competition and the vibrator...... i will say no more but the fifty quid prize was well earned wink.gif

Social source share

all called them selves Mods because the term "Mod" had not become a dirty word as it did in the mid and late eighties.

While it may have been a dirty word to some, to me the late 80's mod scene was far from a dirty word. I was a bit too young to play a meaningful part in the 79 mod renewal but by the late eighties I was regularly attending mod nights. By this time, with the conversion of many to scooterboy, the mod scene was concentrated into a devoted group of mods. As such the late eighties mod scene, while it was back underground, was a vibrant fantastic place to be. And though there was a fairly broad range of music plaid including latin soul, modern jazz , ska, beat and R&B by far the most predominant sound at the nights I attended was rare sixties and northern soul.

The lifestyle for many at this time, along with clothes, also involved an obsessive hunt for these soul records and one-upmanship with getting a tune your mates didn't have. For me by the turn of the 90's, with less soul being played and my growing disillusion with the over elitist attitude of some, I found myself drifted more and more into the northern scene. Anyway, at these northern nights, for example Shotts, I found that there were loads of other fellow late eighties mods, many of whom are still active in the rare/northern soul scene today. Whilst I would not personally like to say that the influx of eighties mods saved the northern scene I would say that they made an influence.

Ok I'm not implying that the following records were not played first in the northern or other scene but anyway here are some tunes I remember hearing played in the late eights mod scene:

The panic is on - Roy Hamilton

Friday night - Steve Mancha

I'm waiting - Bill Bush

Soft walkin - Freddie Houston

Move with the Groove - Bull & the Matadors

The champ - Mowhawks

Pass the hatchet - Eddie Bo

Lonesome shack - Ernie Washington

One more chance - Shirley Lawson

Mr heartache - Freddie Scott

smile.gif

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I think a lot of people got in to Northern through the Mod scene.

I was a young Mod and first heard Northern at Mod rallies and then got hooked on this music.

I then got fed up of wearing jam stage shoes, and trousers that were to tight for me and became more into the music side of things than clothes.

That said a lot of the 6ts fashion sense still influences me to this day.

I used to go to Scooter rallies in Ireland in the late 8ts and 9ts and there was usually a good few punch ups, which wasn't really my idea of a fun night out.

When I started to attend strictly Northern do's I felt like I had come home.

Social source share

tony class what an hero lol, remember gt yarmouth and the on stage competition and the vibrator...... i will say no more but the fifty quid prize was well earned :thumbsup:

can remember that !...although i thought it was clacton but all my memories kinda blur into one...with good reason !!...can remember a wet t shirt comp that got very out of hand...a couple of the girls stripped completely and and were up for it but the lads werent..too much drink !...was hard to see so many people on stage, a friend of ours was in the comp and convinced they were payed strippers....was the night when the fire hoses were sprayed and lights swung on til they fell from the ceiling...think it was a butlins that was about to close anyway....crazy days....but tony class was/is a legend on the scooter scene

Social source share

Guest helsbob

I got introduced to Northern soul through scooter rallies as I was too young for the mod revival and two tone scenes. My first rally was in 1991, looking back the Northern played was predictable but at the time it was the most exciting music I had ever heard, from this I went to soul do's, mod do's, ska/skinhead do's and now continue to do a bit of everything. The music being the most important aspect for me. I feel scooterists and scooter rallies should get the recognition for it's part in keeping Northern soul alive, as I fear if I hadn't gone on a rally I probably would have never caught the bug. :thumbsup:

For me my favourite scooter Soul connection would always have to be - Edwin Starr, scooterists loved him.

Social source share

hiya to dunfermlinesoul : welcome mate : i must admit i hav,nt been to a scottish rally , but hoping to go to kelso this year ( if i can convince the rest of them that you don,t need a passport ) but i have a lot of respect for the scottish scooterists , i remember going to milan in 97 , we took our lammies in a van up to the swiss border and rode them to the venue in novegro , but there was a few lads from eninburgh blues there who had rode theirs all the way ( respect ). if anybody out there went , do you remember the northern soul do someone put on in the middle of a field ( there was actually a dancefloor in the middle of a field )!!!!!!!! we then went on to go to the allnighter organised by ( muttley scooter club milano ) . anyway back to the thread , a few titles that seem to get played regularly .

timebox / beggin ..........tony one shirt,s fave

kim weston / i,m still loving you

frank popp ensemble / hipteens ( dont wear blue jeans )

wade flemons / jeanette

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Mid 80's scooter run soul

Beverly Ann - He's Coming Home

Greg Perry - It Takes Heart

Billy Butler - Right Track

Frankie Valli & 4 Seasons - The Night

NF Porter - Keep On Keepin' On

The Vibrations - Cause You're Mine

Major Lance - You Don't Want Me No More

Alfie Davison - Love Is A Serious Business

Detroit Prophets - Suspicion

Ray Charles - I Don't Need No Doctor

Bobby Paris - Night Owl

Ronnie Dyson - Lady In Red

Derek & Ray - Interplay

Matt Parsons Orchestra - Boogaloo Investigator (aka Mike Vickers - On The Brink)

Al Wilson - The Snake

Sister Sledge - Love Don't Go Through No Changes

The Capitols - Cool Jerk

Benny Spellman - Fortune Teller

Frank Beverly & The Butlers - If That's What You Wanted

The Showmen - Our Love Will Grow

anything by Edwin Starr

Plus not forgetting the must have scooterist soul record :thumbsup: :post-1182-1202921257_thumb.jpg

looks like a playlist from the soul nights at viables in basingstoke circa 1986, plenty of scooters parked outside there

Social source share

looks like a playlist from the soul nights at viables in basingstoke circa 1986, plenty of scooters parked outside there

Ive still got me original first parka does that count? :thumbsup:

Mod influence love it, always there always smart, and great taste in music to boot.

Unfortunately me first little cherry red vespa bit the dust years ago.

post-231-1202994169_thumb.jpg

post-231-1202994169_thumb.jpg

Social source share

stuart lanning started scooter scene magazine from british scooter scene that moved on to scootering then scootering international stuart then sold out when his wife passed away...... martin used to write an A5 magazine called Scootermania magazine.. Northern on scooter scene.. some of the northern dj of the time crossed over to the scooter scene John Buck, Clive jones, Chris king to name a few, alot of tunes that were making it big at Stafford during Mid 80s found there way onto scooter scene Tommy navaro, doug banks, delcos, etc.. was never a mod got my first lambreta 1978, and still got it too, used to travel to wigan then stafford on it before i could afford a car clothing i wore spencers or jeans fred perry, or short sleeved benny, blazer crombie or army greycoat, then a sheepy when i managed to afford one.. Modrapheniacs,, cant ever remember john lovin martin weeks ever being mods, but thats not to say they wernt, looking back at old photos parkers were worn pre mod revival, but so were donkey jackets.. hope this helps

munchkin

Totally right about Stuart Lanning starting what is now scootering I remember picking this up from local shops in Weston Super Mare when it was photo copied and stapled together. He now owns the Lambretta museum in weston (well worth a visit) and is still heavily involved in the local and national scene. He puts on Woolacombe (as well as others) every year in the south west and its always a cracker with a seperate soul room. I do a bit of Djing for him a few times a year and a few tunes that always fill the floor that hav'nt been mentioned are

Suspicion - originals

Baby hit & run - Contours

Dont send nobody else - Ace spectrum

The night - Frankie Valli

Always great nights the scooter nights and you can catch Stuart and a few of the original Weston Scooter boys at the Pig and Truffle nights which return on March 8th 2008 playing a great mix of rally tunes and across the board northern.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

last night/markeys,until i was reminded recently i completely forgot everyone one would shout out bollox !! to it

I went to Duncan Ball's wedding in Wiltshire. At the reception his wifes 7 or 8 year old brother got up with all the scooter lot and started shouting along with them. His poor mum was chasing him but they all kept hiding him behind them. It was pure comedy at its best.

We were chatting on here a fewe years ago about the all dayers at Ilford that Tony Class used to run. They'd have a northern dance comp and a mod would always win GRRR lol.

Social source share

Totally right about Stuart Lanning starting what is now scootering I remember picking this up from local shops in Weston Super Mare when it was photo copied and stapled together. He now owns the Lambretta museum in weston (well worth a visit) and is still heavily involved in the local and national scene. He puts on Woolacombe (as well as others) every year in the south west and its always a cracker with a seperate soul room. I do a bit of Djing for him a few times a year and a few tunes that always fill the floor that hav'nt been mentioned are

Suspicion - originals

Baby hit & run - Contours

Dont send nobody else - Ace spectrum

The night - Frankie Valli

Always great nights the scooter nights and you can catch Stuart and a few of the original Weston Scooter boys at the Pig and Truffle nights which return on March 8th 2008 playing a great mix of rally tunes and across the board northern.

next time you see stuart say i from me please (kev spittle)

Social source share

Sounds like an excellent post/discussion thread to plug my newly published book wink.gif !! (£9.99 + £1.50 P&P) :wicked: "TIME TROUBLE AND MONEY"

I was a scooterboy pre 1979 "Mod Revival" and beyond. I got into the scooter scene in 1974 while still at school and was road legal in 1976 and attending "Runs" all over the UK (North & South) up until marriage, kids etc etc prompted my leaving it in 1984. (I'm now back amongst it and known as a "born again" by some but not all !!)

As a Northerner by birth & location Northern Soul music was very much a catalyst for the early 70t's scooterclubs - the original 60t's Mod scene had faded and Northern Soulies naturally progressed into riding scooters as this was a similar underground movement with a huge essence of "cool". Scooter riders attended Northern nites and recruited Soulies and vice versa

My story and that of the Scunthorpe Roadrats SC and other big northern clubs of the time is all in the book, a majority (but not all) also attended Northern do's and collected vinyl - the two scenes ran hand in hand up until 1979.

We first encountered Mods (the second generation) at Southend in 1978, these were non scooter riders but true to the Mod fashion, they numbered very few and were generally from the south and London, they were obviously ahead of the rest of the country fashion wise becasue of their London base.

Scooter riding Mods (ie wearing the clothes and riding Mod styled scoots etc) especially those from the North did not appear until late 1979/1980. Although we classed ourselves as scooterboys these new Mods were readily accepted into the scene (because they rode scooters). When the shortlived Mod revival died out and firstly Ska/Two Tone and lastly New Wave/New Romantic music killed off the new Mod sound (that was basically undanceable) these Mods stayed within the scooter scene as it was a better bet for longevity.

Several of our particular club were lifelong Northern Soul followers who graduated with age thro' the oldies and 60t's genres thro 70t's dancers and into crossover/modern. Its funny but we once got the s**t ripped out of us by some "Mods" for riding our scoots wearing 40" patchwork denim jeans (remember them ??) now what was all that about :ohmy:

All above is just my opinion ................. the books a good read though ............... honest :no:

Try it and see ............... b.brough1@ntlworld.com

Social source share

tony class what an hero lol, remember gt yarmouth and the on stage competition and the vibrator...... i will say no more but the fifty quid prize was well earned :ohmy:

Had some wonderful times on the CCI Mod Rallies with Tony class , Ian Jackson , Lee miller Rob Bailey , sean from putney , Colin from Camden plus many of others and not forgetting so many mates from Birmingham Mod scene.

Social source share

All quite true i was a mod up until 89 - 90 but all my m8tys were scooterboys & skinheads i used to go to the few cci rallys which were ok but i mainly went on the national scooter rallys, i can remember like mentioned earlier jon buck putting on do s at rallys, but the main northern songs from the scootering period of the early to mid 80s you would hear beverly ann hes coming home , stanley mitchell get it baby , competition aint nothing carl carlton , love is serious buissness alfie davidson , matt parsons orchestra boogaloo investigater, double cooking chekerboard squares ,& everybodys favourite the snake ahh yes it seems like yesterday, but the thing is how many on the scene soulies were born out of this period & are still about today it would be intresting % wise compared to the non scootering flare wearing wigan casino posse as to the make up of the scene today ?

Social source share

My first ever taste of Northernsoul by Simon Cuerden AKA Imberboy aged 45 and one half.

The year was 1978 and I was a 15 year old school boy very much into looking at girls, especially Angela Truscott who didn't even fookin know I existed but I loved her with a ache in my heart so bad I thought that I would die each time she walked towards my down the corridors of Beverley Longcroft, I later dated her when we where in our mid twenties but that's another story as this one is supposed to be about Northernsoul.........

1978 was a strange confusing year for me, hormones going tits up and the music charts wrestling with uneasiness. Fashion was even stranger and no one seamed to be "cool", I remember watching some thing or other on TOTPs and my dad remarking "What the fookin ells that shite?" and I actually agreed with him!

There where two apex groups of young men in Beverley. One group where the denim wearing "greasers" who's musical taste began and ended at Status fookin Quo then there where the ultra cool and hard as fook Beverley Mods Scooter Club. I would love to see them meet on a Sunday morning with all of their swagger and confidence and ride off on their Lambrettas (there where only two Vespa, s in Beverley at that time) they had every thing, the girls, the money and I desperately wanted in!!!

Too young to ride scooters, three of us would catch the train to Bridlington where we would rub shoulders with The Beverley Mods and pretend that we where part of "The In Crowd" There where no suits, every one wore parkas some wore doc martins some wore Loafers, they all wore flared bags as per the fashion of the day. Quadrophenia was being talked about and people where considering going South to be part of the filming. Not me, that was big boys stuff, I had school to worry about and a mum and dad who needed lying to.

Saturday night during Bridlington's scooter Run was spent at Churchill's Night Club where I heard my first ever Northernsoul and more importantly (argue that with the train spotters on list) I saw them dance!! I won't lie and say I was hooked, I was impressed, 1978 was just at both the height of disco and the death of disco.... If that makes sense? Never the less all of the local Disco Ducks had a master class in dancing.

My next flurry, also on the train in 1978 was Scarborough, 1978 Scarborough was the last ever "Northern Mod" gathering as in 1979 the Mod Revival hit every one like a train and the fashions and attitudes would never be the same. I could wax on for ever about the change that happened from the summer of 78 to the summer of 79, I was there riding the wave and enjoying every brilliant second and as sad as this may sound.... It defined who I am today. But back to northernsoul......

Scarborough 1978 Ruddies Allnighter, not the biggest place in the world, up stairs above a shop? My memories are a little sketchy but I do remember the Mighty Bubb spinning the discs and the record of the moment was I think Judy Street what?

I am now sat here behind my key board trying to remember that crazy weekend. My love affair with Scooters and Northernsoul has lasted longer than any other and I am proud to be The president of the Armed Forces Scooter Club. I am having as much fun now as I ever did when I was young.

Love Is A Serious Business

Social source share

The Scooter Runs are not every ones cup of tea, I did see Ady Crowsnest last year at Mersea Island having a good time, I wonder just how many of us cross over from scene to scene? Here is a revue I did a few years ago on one of the very best scooter runs......

Holiday In Holland Scooter Rally

RALLY 2002

Holiday in Holland

By Simon Cuerden

One of the factors that made this run stand out amongst the many others was the innovative use of the Internet giving information to most Scooterists. Granted you had to have Internet access, but most people have, or at least they know some one who has.

What the website did was to provide a cross roads were all Scooterist could get all the information required from the run organisers. The site was simple to find, appearing on most search engines and linked from most of the larger club sites. Easy to navigate, the site gave a chronological history of the run with just the right amount of pictures and text to stop you wandering off. In fact the site was worth a visit whether you intended to do the run or no! The messageboard/guestbook became a compulsory read were clubs and individuals had an opportunity to inform and be informed about who would be travelling and when, best routes, ferry timings and the like. Pepper potted through out the guestbook was some "Spoof" postings that had you in stitches and made you return to read time and time again.

The origins of this run are well documented, and once again The Speed Demons and The Hidden Power Scooter Clubs excelled themselves in providing all the usual Scootering activates.

On Friday morning most Scooterist no doubt looked up towards the heavens as the grey cloud clusters promised a wet and gloomy weekend. Little did any one know that the ensuing weekend would see a spectacular heat wave that would make Holiday in Holland a winner right from the start.

So it was on a brilliantly hot sunny Friday afternoon in Borculo that I stood and watched as the scooters arrived. I'm not too sure on the exact numbers but Borgo of the Hidden Power SC estimated 800 British Scooterist! To compliment this, Scooterist from France, Belgium, Holland and Germany were all arriving in droves. There were the usual people who came by car but these were ushered into their separate camping area as planned.

Friday evening was hot and this just added to the "Holiday" attitude, there were no muscles being flexed and no club stand off's just a load of people soaking up the atmosphere the way Scooterist do.

Entertainment for the evening was just right with three music rooms inside with three massive bars that served quickly an excellent cold beer at affordable prices. I think here is one of the many things we will take for granted but seriously there were no massive queues and the beer was ice cold strong lager! The main room was were the Fashion and Soul police had well and truly taken the night off! Leaving hot and sweaty Scooterist to party hard to some brilliant music with absolutely no boundaries! Yes it was a "Kylie" free zone, but apart from that any thing else went with the dance floor determining what was to be played. The disc jockey must have had his ego removed as he belted out tune after tune to an eager dance floor.

A smaller downstairs room played some well serious dance sets and booming reggae blasts that on it's own would have seen many UK dance freaks travelling a long way for! Just when you think it can't get any better you discover the "6T's" room! Here was Eberhart of The Harlekin Scooter Club of Guttersloh giving it large with his rather expensive record collection. I had a flick through his record box and I know there were some black plastic discs that have silly price tags, all would make any UK Soul collector drool! But it wasn't just the same old same old! Don't ask me how? But this room managed to fuse Northernsoul, RnB and Hammond Organ Sounds. I recon the London Scene boys should swing their hipsters over here and see how it's done!

Outside, a warm hot summers night saw the party continue as two large bars and the food stall catered for those who just wanted to chill, smoke and enjoy each other's company. I stood back for a moment and had to blink my eyes, it looked like a scene from "The Warriors" meets "The World Cup". Trying to do justice to the atmosphere of camaraderie and sheer celebration is impossible. It was only Friday night and the night was going to last.

Trying to sleep late on Saturday morning was difficult to say the least; the sun by 8 O'clock was blazing and turned every tent into a greenhouse. Getting a shower was an experience to say the least but every one was well and truly warned of the cold and small facility thanks to the web site, so no teddies were thrown in the corner. After a shower, and due to the heat a cold one was a blessing in disguise, we opted to bin breakfast and ride into Borculo.

Borculo saw hundreds of Scooterist invade their quiet market town and reacted with a known response. They just went about their normal daily life, there were no staring, finger pointing or policemen to be seen, which was well cool. Food was good hot cheep and simple, consisting of the usual continental fare but you could also get "toasties" and bacon and egg!

Most of Saturday was spent between the Beer n Banana race, the custom show, dyno testing, mini parts fair, beer drinking, ride out, swimming, smoking, and chilling. Harry Barlow of Pro Porting fame was to be seen tweaking many of the Scooterist bikes to squeeze that little bit more on the Scooter Attack rolling road if you couldn't find some thing that flicked your switch on Saturday you had most likely come by car. The weather was hot the pace was slow and relaxed.

At about 7 O'clock a few of us decided to head into Borculo for a Chinese meal. Back on the site one of the Salford Knights SC lads was celebrating his 40th birthday and I heard that a lady had come onto the site and took all her cloths of whilst dancing, and I bet she didn't even have a scooter!

Saturday night saw a "Who" tribute band, I missed the band I'm afraid I was very very drunk at the time, the band played to a small, but appreciative audience. This small audience only re affirms the quality of the weekend, with so many excellent activities and the weather being so hot most opted to just chill out side.

Later that evening the three rooms cranked it up again poring out some rare groove cuts, soul, disco, funk, dance, washing machine and tumble dryer, the sheer diversity and top sounds left you standing like a spoilt kid in a sweet shop. I spent the night wandering from room to room trying to soak up as much of the classy vibe as humanly possible.

But as all good things must come to an end, it was soon Sunday morning. Instead of sadness there was a feeling of contentment as we said our good byes. The Edinburgh and Glasgow boys were left scratching their heads as to the whereabouts of one of their club members who mysteriously disappeared that night?

One lad had his front rack stolen and some prick had to be ejected for hassling one of the bar staff, but he had come on a motorcycle so no one really minded. I did hear of one Scooterist loosing a sock, but I'm sure that will be found. All in all a brilliant run, well organised, well attended and certainly one to look forward to next year.

There are many many fantastic Scooter Runs, but there is only one "Holiday in Holland"

See you all next year, Simon Cuerden President The Armed Forces Scooter Club

Social source share

Guest the dukester

The Scooter Runs are not every ones cup of tea, I did see Ady Crowsnest last year at Mersea Island having a good time, I wonder just how many of us cross over from scene to scene? Here is a revue I did a few years ago on one of the very best scooter runs......

RALLY 2002

Holiday in Holland

By Simon Cuerden

One of the factors that made this run stand out amongst the many others was the innovative use of the Internet giving information to most Scooterists. Granted you had to have Internet access, but most people have, or at least they know some one who has.

What the website did was to provide a cross roads were all Scooterist could get all the information required from the run organisers. The site was simple to find, appearing on most search engines and linked from most of the larger club sites. Easy to navigate, the site gave a chronological history of the run with just the right amount of pictures and text to stop you wandering off. In fact the site was worth a visit whether you intended to do the run or no! The messageboard/guestbook became a compulsory read were clubs and individuals had an opportunity to inform and be informed about who would be travelling and when, best routes, ferry timings and the like. Pepper potted through out the guestbook was some "Spoof" postings that had you in stitches and made you return to read time and time again.

The origins of this run are well documented, and once again The Speed Demons and The Hidden Power Scooter Clubs excelled themselves in providing all the usual Scootering activates.

On Friday morning most Scooterist no doubt looked up towards the heavens as the grey cloud clusters promised a wet and gloomy weekend. Little did any one know that the ensuing weekend would see a spectacular heat wave that would make Holiday in Holland a winner right from the start.

So it was on a brilliantly hot sunny Friday afternoon in Borculo that I stood and watched as the scooters arrived. I'm not too sure on the exact numbers but Borgo of the Hidden Power SC estimated 800 British Scooterist! To compliment this, Scooterist from France, Belgium, Holland and Germany were all arriving in droves. There were the usual people who came by car but these were ushered into their separate camping area as planned.

Friday evening was hot and this just added to the "Holiday" attitude, there were no muscles being flexed and no club stand off's just a load of people soaking up the atmosphere the way Scooterist do.

Entertainment for the evening was just right with three music rooms inside with three massive bars that served quickly an excellent cold beer at affordable prices. I think here is one of the many things we will take for granted but seriously there were no massive queues and the beer was ice cold strong lager! The main room was were the Fashion and Soul police had well and truly taken the night off! Leaving hot and sweaty Scooterist to party hard to some brilliant music with absolutely no boundaries! Yes it was a "Kylie" free zone, but apart from that any thing else went with the dance floor determining what was to be played. The disc jockey must have had his ego removed as he belted out tune after tune to an eager dance floor.

A smaller downstairs room played some well serious dance sets and booming reggae blasts that on it's own would have seen many UK dance freaks travelling a long way for! Just when you think it can't get any better you discover the "6T's" room! Here was Eberhart of The Harlekin Scooter Club of Guttersloh giving it large with his rather expensive record collection. I had a flick through his record box and I know there were some black plastic discs that have silly price tags, all would make any UK Soul collector drool! But it wasn't just the same old same old! Don't ask me how? But this room managed to fuse Northernsoul, RnB and Hammond Organ Sounds. I recon the London Scene boys should swing their hipsters over here and see how it's done!

Outside, a warm hot summers night saw the party continue as two large bars and the food stall catered for those who just wanted to chill, smoke and enjoy each other's company. I stood back for a moment and had to blink my eyes, it looked like a scene from "The Warriors" meets "The World Cup". Trying to do justice to the atmosphere of camaraderie and sheer celebration is impossible. It was only Friday night and the night was going to last.

Trying to sleep late on Saturday morning was difficult to say the least; the sun by 8 O'clock was blazing and turned every tent into a greenhouse. Getting a shower was an experience to say the least but every one was well and truly warned of the cold and small facility thanks to the web site, so no teddies were thrown in the corner. After a shower, and due to the heat a cold one was a blessing in disguise, we opted to bin breakfast and ride into Borculo.

Borculo saw hundreds of Scooterist invade their quiet market town and reacted with a known response. They just went about their normal daily life, there were no staring, finger pointing or policemen to be seen, which was well cool. Food was good hot cheep and simple, consisting of the usual continental fare but you could also get "toasties" and bacon and egg!

Most of Saturday was spent between the Beer n Banana race, the custom show, dyno testing, mini parts fair, beer drinking, ride out, swimming, smoking, and chilling. Harry Barlow of Pro Porting fame was to be seen tweaking many of the Scooterist bikes to squeeze that little bit more on the Scooter Attack rolling road if you couldn't find some thing that flicked your switch on Saturday you had most likely come by car. The weather was hot the pace was slow and relaxed.

At about 7 O'clock a few of us decided to head into Borculo for a Chinese meal. Back on the site one of the Salford Knights SC lads was celebrating his 40th birthday and I heard that a lady had come onto the site and took all her cloths of whilst dancing, and I bet she didn't even have a scooter!

Saturday night saw a "Who" tribute band, I missed the band I'm afraid I was very very drunk at the time, the band played to a small, but appreciative audience. This small audience only re affirms the quality of the weekend, with so many excellent activities and the weather being so hot most opted to just chill out side.

Later that evening the three rooms cranked it up again poring out some rare groove cuts, soul, disco, funk, dance, washing machine and tumble dryer, the sheer diversity and top sounds left you standing like a spoilt kid in a sweet shop. I spent the night wandering from room to room trying to soak up as much of the classy vibe as humanly possible.

But as all good things must come to an end, it was soon Sunday morning. Instead of sadness there was a feeling of contentment as we said our good byes. The Edinburgh and Glasgow boys were left scratching their heads as to the whereabouts of one of their club members who mysteriously disappeared that night?

One lad had his front rack stolen and some prick had to be ejected for hassling one of the bar staff, but he had come on a motorcycle so no one really minded. I did hear of one Scooterist loosing a sock, but I'm sure that will be found. All in all a brilliant run, well organised, well attended and certainly one to look forward to next year.

There are many many fantastic Scooter Runs, but there is only one "Holiday in Holland"

Holiday in Holland is no more :ohmy:

But check this out

https://z3.invisionfree.com/Yorkshire_Allia...p?showtopic=530

Guarantee you will not just be drinking Tea :lol:

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

While it may have been a dirty word to some, to me the late 80's mod scene was far from a dirty word. I was a bit too young to play a meaningful part in the 79 mod renewal but by the late eighties I was regularly attending mod nights. By this time, with the conversion of many to scooterboy, the mod scene was concentrated into a devoted group of mods. As such the late eighties mod scene, while it was back underground, was a vibrant fantastic place to be. And though there was a fairly broad range of music plaid including latin soul, modern jazz , ska, beat and R&B by far the most predominant sound at the nights I attended was rare sixties and northern soul.

The lifestyle for many at this time, along with clothes, also involved an obsessive hunt for these soul records and one-upmanship with getting a tune your mates didn't have. For me by the turn of the 90's, with less soul being played and my growing disillusion with the over elitist attitude of some, I found myself drifted more and more into the northern scene. Anyway, at these northern nights, for example Shotts, I found that there were loads of other fellow late eighties mods, many of whom are still active in the rare/northern soul scene today. Whilst I would not personally like to say that the influx of eighties mods saved the northern scene I would say that they made an influence.

Ok I'm not implying that the following records were not played first in the northern or other scene but anyway here are some tunes I remember hearing played in the late eights mod scene:

The panic is on - Roy Hamilton

Friday night - Steve Mancha

I'm waiting - Bill Bush

Soft walkin - Freddie Houston

Move with the Groove - Bull & the Matadors

The champ - Mowhawks

Pass the hatchet - Eddie Bo - Roger and the gypsies

Lonesome shack - Ernie Washington

One more chance - Shirley Lawson

Mr heartache - Freddie Scott

smile.gif

Spot on mate, i also remember the mods hate scooter boy thing that was in the paper, always remember the chants when we went to the campsite in Morcombe 85-86? " were not mods, were scooter boys, were scooter boys". That was the last s rally for me, the rest were mod rallies. For the next few years it was tit for tat bitching at each other till they ditched there scoots and bought mini's :thumbsup: .

I remember the IOW 6 years ago on the campsite and there was a stall selling them " im not a f..kin mod t shirts, we asked the stall holder " have you got one with "im not a f..king scooter boy" the guys face just droped.

Anyway times change, and we all get older.

Lots of great latin and r&b tunes came out of them days.

Pete Griff

post-3329-1203122388_thumb.jpg

Social source share

RALLY 2002

Holiday in Holland

By Simon Cuerden

only one holiday in holland , you got that right mate , i did it 3 times and nothing else comes close to it , just wish they was still on , saying that ive heard a rumour that there is something similiar on in june this year according to one of my mates in beverley ?????

Social source share

The Scooter Runs are not every ones cup of tea, I did see Ady Crowsnest last year at Mersea Island having a good time, I wonder just how many of us cross over from scene to scene?

Of course he was having a good time, the music was brilliant :lol:

I started out on the Pheonix rallies run by that creepy American Mark (dammit cant remember his last name), then on to the CCI rallies. These were mad mad times, we never missed a single rally and went to them all with my mate on a knackered old PX. I did eventually get myself a beautiful 1960 152L2, but after travelling to Girvan at 30 miles an hour swapped its engine for a P200 one. We did go to the odd scooter rally but I never really liked them as I was into the whole mod thing far too much, spending weekends at Charlies in Carnaby Street getting fitted for the next beautiful suit or dress and trawling around for the perfect material, then off to the Biz in the evenings. I went to the 100 club a few times back then but have to say it wasn't my thing.

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

I started out on the Pheonix rallies run by that creepy American Mark (dammit cant remember his last name), .

Yea it was Mark Johnson ( died of aids) if i remember right, he was a bit dodgy ( liked his men and boys,but dont quote me on the boys bit :lol:

Pete Griff.

Social source share

Yea it was Mark Johnson ( died of aids) if i remember right, he was a bit dodgy ( liked his men and boys,but dont quote me on the boys bit :lol:

Pete Griff.

Ahh yes, thats the guy - and whatever happened to Yorick?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i used to do the rallies and travelled a very long way to do so woolacombe bay , IOW ,modrapheniacs etc firstly on a standard PX125 , then joined a traditional skinhead only lambretta club and bought a Gp200 then 1962 Li125 series 2 .

pretty much fell out of it when my records became more expensive than the scooters and i was spending more time dj'ing and no way i could carry the tunes on the scooter ...don't feel the need to ever get another

Social source share

Ahh yes, thats the guy - and whatever happened to Yorick?

To be fair yorrick looked like an aids victim so maybe that was where mr johnson demise was hatchted :thumbsup: lastime i saw him must of been 89 ish at a cci rally

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

In the late 80s I did a spell DJing for NRC/NSRA, and a couple of other tracks I remember being big were:

Lew Kirton - Heaven in the afternoon

Jerry Butler - Moody Woman

MVPs - Turning My Heartbeat Up

Vickie Baines - Country Girl

Human Beinz - Nobody But Me (I hate that track as much as I hate Al Wilsons thinking about it!)

The Crow - Your Autumn Of Tomorrow. Same bloke always came and asked for it wherever I worked, no one else did.

HTH, there must be more, I'll get my thinking cap on.

Social source share

Guest FREEBIRD

In the late 80s I did a spell DJing for NRC/NSRA, and a couple of other tracks I remember being big were:

Lew Kirton - Heaven in the afternoon

Jerry Butler - Moody Woman

MVPs - Turning My Heartbeat Up

Vickie Baines - Country Girl

Human Beinz - Nobody But Me (I hate that track as much as I hate Al Wilsons thinking about it!)

The Crow - Your Autumn Of Tomorrow. Same bloke always came and asked for it wherever I worked, no one else did.

HTH, there must be more, I'll get my thinking cap on.

How about Dr love- bobby sheen

Because of you-jackie wilson

Hit and run- rosie batiste

Happy-Velvett hammer

Born a loser-Don ray

A little bit hurt-julian covay

Love is a serious business- alfie davidson

Dont pity me-Joanie summers

Turnig my heart beat up-m v p`s

no no--no--no no--no no no no--no-no no-no--no no no--no no no no-no no no no--no no-no-no no--no body,can do a shigading like i do-= Nope, dont Know what its called realy and nor do I know who sang it, but have had great times trying to sing it my self.

Lets face it, Scooterist Know how to have a good time!!!.....Shaun, Renegades sc,

Edited by FREEBIRD
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!