Susan Barrett - What's It Gonna Be? Rca

macca

• Replies 17
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

No one's responding Macca, so here goes.

Sold my w/d for £85 about three months ago, thought that was a fair price considering I graded it as a VG+. Minter might go for more, but more for looking at that playing I'd have thought.

As for stocks, never actually seen one, but I remember a few years ago, those loveable rogues at Anglo American had a mind blowing list of virtually every wanted RCA stock including this one. Even back then I think they were looking at a comfortable three figures.

Just an aside, as good as this is, it's Blue Square league compared to the Champions League Dusty version that I grew up with.

Social source share

No one's responding Macca, so here goes.

Sold my w/d for £85 about three months ago, thought that was a fair price considering I graded it as a VG+. Minter might go for more, but more for looking at that playing I'd have thought.

As for stocks, never actually seen one, but I remember a few years ago, those loveable rogues at Anglo American had a mind blowing list of virtually every wanted RCA stock including this one. Even back then I think they were looking at a comfortable three figures.

Just an aside, as good as this is, it's Blue Square league compared to the Champions League Dusty version that I grew up with.

Ms Barratt for me.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks for that Bozaboy. Much as I like Dusty, I too have to say it's Susan Barrett for me.

Why wouldn't it be played today?

I wouldn't have considered it a played out oldie.

Never heard it much, even back then. Was this played at the Mecca first?

Cheers,

M

Edited by macca
Social source share

Unbelieveably, I first heard it (SB) on my one and only visit to the Pendelum in Manchester, but also heard at the Top Rank in Hanley - Sunday night sessions. All before the Mecca I'd have thought.

Think you could be wrong on this.

I think that Ian Levine first discovered this on one of his family trips to the USA. I got his other copy the week he returned. He let a few of us give him £25 each to help fund his buys and in return we got 25 singles each( unbelievable really, when you think about it!). I used to visit his family home in Blackpool on a regular basis to play records in that famous converted downstairs toilet 'record room'. Anyway, I was the first to visit him on that year after his trip and got the 'cream' of the pick ( although to be fair,he had eamarked some good stuff to each of us who had helped finance him). He had Susan Barrett in the pile for Brad from Nelson, but I managed to get it into my pile :rolleyes: . Never told Brad about it though :D

Completely off at a tangent, the Levine's had a microwave oven in 1972 ( years before they came out over here). Les Cokell and others would all make coffee in it. At the filming of SWONS I asked Mrs Levine about this and she told me she bought 2 in America, had them converted to 240 volts and used one at home and the other in their Club, the Lemon Tree.

Social source share

I'd still sooner have Dusty's version, by far the best imho & what a looker, pity she "crossed over to the other side", as it were.

Talking of rare issues I recently saw an Earl Jackson & Yum Yums issue :D , now theres a first & yes the nice man at Anglo Amer owns them now.

Take care, be safe & todays friday, Yippeeee,

Spot. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I'd still sooner have Dusty's version, by far the best imho & what a looker, pity she "crossed over to the other side", as it were.

Talking of rare issues I recently saw an Earl Jackson & Yum Yums issue :D , now theres a first & yes the nice man at Anglo Amer owns them now.

Take care, be safe & todays friday, Yippeeee,

Spot. :rolleyes:

On the dance floor in a big room S/B sounds the Mutz Nutzz but at home spinning a few Dusty all the time.

Steve J

Social source share

it's funny how we all perceive records differently, isn't it?

Nice to hear those recollections of yours JB.

Talking of the Yum-Yums, isn't that a truly rare record today?

Unlike all these Lorraine Chandlers and Jean Carters that seem to be clogging up Ebay lately.

Social source share

it's funny how we all perceive records differently, isn't it?

Nice to hear those recollections of yours JB.

Talking of the Yum-Yums, isn't that a truly rare record today?

Unlike all these Lorraine Chandlers and Jean Carters that seem to be clogging up Ebay lately.

Personally I'd rate the Susan barrett demo at about £60 - the issue at £250.

Yum Yums demo £400-£500 - Yum Yums issue £2000.

Social source share

Only ever seen the one copy of a issue of Susan Barrett. This was on a visit to Martin Koppell in Toronto in late 70's.

Interestingly enough, and the reason i mention this with regard to where it was played first Mecca or wherever, was that in the deadwax was scratched COLIN CURTIS.......not sure if the same copy is now with Tim.....

I have a demo available for £100 and MINT.

Social source share

Only ever seen the one copy of a issue of Susan Barrett. This was on a visit to Martin Koppell in Toronto in late 70's.

Interestingly enough, and the reason i mention this with regard to where it was played first Mecca or wherever, was that in the deadwax was scratched COLIN CURTIS.......not sure if the same copy is now with Tim.....

I have a demo available for £100 and MINT.

Afternoon Mr S ........

It is very likely that it is ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

• 10 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!