Underplayed Soul Night-burscough British Legion

Brookesy

Just a few words regarding a soul night we run at Burscough British Legion. The event is advertised as an across the board underplayed soul night and has been running since summer 2007.

The reason we chose this particular music policy was because of the lack of local venues in the area playing underplayed sounds. In a twenty mile radius I could name a dozen events with a strictly oldies music policy----nothing wrong with that but we just wanted to try something a bit different. We do not try to run a rarest of the rare night, the music we play is a mixture of underplayed oldies, r&b, rare motown and a bit of crossover and modern.

Unfortunately some of the people who attend our venue cannot seem to grasp the music policy. There is a certain group who constantly harass the DJs to play overplayed oldies and one or two have given in to them and strayed from the desired music policy. Our last event took place on Saturday 23rd. February and started off really well----a good mix of across the board sounds which is what we state in our advertising. Unfortunately the aforementioned group attended the venue and started requesting sounds that are not appropriate to our policy. This led to the guest DJs playing tunes that were inappropriate to the night and resulted in a bit of ill feeling. Possibly I was wrong but I went on stage, took the mike and had words regarding the music and if people didn't like it they could always attend a number of other venues in the local area that will cater for their tastes. A group of people took offence and left the venue---never to return, I hope.

My point is, if I attend a venue with a particular music policy I would not dream of trying to change that policy. We are not trying to achieve anything revolutionary at Burscough, just play something a bit different to give people an alternative to all the oldies venues in the local area.

Your comments would be much appreciated in this matter.

Social source share

• Replies 77
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just a few words regarding a soul night we run at Burscough British Legion. The event is advertised as an across the board underplayed soul night and has been running since summer 2007.

The reason we chose this particular music policy was because of the lack of local venues in the area playing underplayed sounds. In a twenty mile radius I could name a dozen events with a strictly oldies music policy----nothing wrong with that but we just wanted to try something a bit different. We do not try to run a rarest of the rare night, the music we play is a mixture of underplayed oldies, r&b, rare motown and a bit of crossover and modern.

Unfortunately some of the people who attend our venue cannot seem to grasp the music policy. There is a certain group who constantly harass the DJs to play overplayed oldies and one or two have given in to them and strayed from the desired music policy. Our last event took place on Saturday 23rd. February and started off really well----a good mix of across the board sounds which is what we state in our advertising. Unfortunately the aforementioned group attended the venue and started requesting sounds that are not appropriate to our policy. This led to the guest DJs playing tunes that were inappropriate to the night and resulted in a bit of ill feeling. Possibly I was wrong but I went on stage, took the mike and had words regarding the music and if people didn't like it they could always attend a number of other venues in the local area that will cater for their tastes. A group of people took offence and left the venue---never to return, I hope.

My point is, if I attend a venue with a particular music policy I would not dream of trying to change that policy. We are not trying to achieve anything revolutionary at Burscough, just play something a bit different to give people an alternative to all the oldies venues in the local area.

Social source share

Me and my wife decided due to the large amount of oldies/commercial nights in our area to start an underplayed soul night, took a while to get off the ground but we have a dedicated following now, not by anyway a packer but some very intresting music played, as its allmost impossible nowadays to find new tunes, we believe this is another option of moving forward, there is a vast backcatologue of music simply forgotten and may i say some fantastic stuff just lost, a prime example of this is in the crossover friday section on this forum. :thumbup:

Social source share

with you on this Mr.Janus. :rolleyes: .

Is your venue a large capacity?,or has links with past oldies nites?.Some people don't want change and the paying public want what they want.(the customer is always right syndrome!).

Keep on , and you will sort the wheat from the chaff.Numbers may dip for a while,but if you're not needing a profit,best to have people attending who love the music than trouble over music policy(imho).

Social source share

If you set out your music policy clearly then everyone is able to make a clear choice on whether the event is right for them or not. Once you've set out your stall, you need to keep to your policy, otherwise you end up with a confused night, and nobody gets what they want.

Better to satisfy the punters that attend for the advertised night, than to try to please a minority that failed to understand your music policy. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Stick with it Mate and well done for speaking out. Not enough venues like this and if I had the finance I would run a venue in Edinburgh with a similar policy - even if only a few turned out, I'd rather share good music with a few like-minded people than listen to the "same old" with a packed venue!!

David

Social source share

Good luck with the adventure. If they dont like the music policy they,ve got plenty of other venue,s to choose from in the north west and none are a million miles away.

Steve

Social source share

As I've said before, please, please, don't be disheartened.

A venue that plays something different is like a breath of fresh air. It says clearly on your flyers and posters that it's a night of Underplayed Soul and R & B, and anyone that turns up demanding to listen to the same old stuff is simply out of order.

There are plenty of venues in and around this area that play the classic, popular 'oldies', but too few where you can listen to something a bit different.

Stick to your guns, don't give up and you WILL get a dedicated following.

Can't wait 'til the next one!! :rolleyes:

Ann x

Social source share

with you on this Mr.Janus. :rolleyes: .

Is your venue a large capacity?,or has links with past oldies nites?.Some people don't want change and the paying public want what they want.(the customer is always right syndrome!).

Keep on , and you will sort the wheat from the chaff.Numbers may dip for a while,but if you're not needing a profit,best to have people attending who love the music than trouble over music policy(imho).

Hi there......thanks for your comment, no the venue isn't a large one, we've had an average of 70----80 people attending so far and the place looks pretty much full with that amount of people there. We did run an oldies night three or four miles up the road in a different town which was very popular and it ran for a while in conjunction with this one. When we started the Legion up it was a completely new night---as far as I know there hadn't been any dedicated soul nights at this venue before us. We do not run this venue as a money making venture---we do it because we love the music and if numbers do dip as a result of us us "enforcing" our music policy then so be it, we will accept it.

I would just like to say to everyone who has taken the time to read this posting and reply to it that we really appreciate it-----we were debating to pack it all up on Saturday night after all the hassle, but the support of real soulies has only strengthened our resolve to keep on with what we are doing.

Many thanks.

Social source share

Hi there......thanks for your comment, no the venue isn't a large one, we've had an average of 70----80 people attending so far and the place looks pretty much full with that amount of people there. We did run an oldies night three or four miles up the road in a different town which was very popular and it ran for a while in conjunction with this one. When we started the Legion up it was a completely new night---as far as I know there hadn't been any dedicated soul nights at this venue before us. We do not run this venue as a money making venture---we do it because we love the music and if numbers do dip as a result of us us "enforcing" our music policy then so be it, we will accept it.

I would just like to say to everyone who has taken the time to read this posting and reply to it that we really appreciate it-----we were debating to pack it all up on Saturday night after all the hassle, but the support of real soulies has only strengthened our resolve to keep on with what we are doing.

Many thanks.

Phew!!!!! Thank goodness for that! :rolleyes:

Social source share

I'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT THIS VENUE ON THIS FORUM FOR A FEW MONTHS NOW.

TOP MARKS TONY IT NEEDED TO BE SAID, WITH YOU AND LISA ALL THE WAY ON THIS.

THIS A GREAT VENUE AND THOSE OF YOU WHO DON'T KNOW TONY HE HAS A FANTASTIC COLLECTION

OF RECORDS JUST WAITING TO BE PLAYED. HE AND LISA ARE REALLY TRYING TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR THE AREA.

THEY HAVE GIVEN WHAT THEY ARE DOING ALOT OF THOUGHT ABOUT DJS AND THE BRILLIANT VENUE THAT THEY

HAVE PICKED.

IT'S THE MUSIC THAT COUNTS.

PAT x

Social source share

DON,T SEE THERE PROBLEM TONY!! YOU PLAYED EXACTLY WHAT YOU ADVERTISED ON YOUR FLYER. IT WAS ARE FIRST TIME AT BURSCOUGH BUT DEFINITELY NOT THE LAST. WE LEFT ABOUT 12.15 ONLY BECAUSE WE WERE MEETING UP WITH FRIENDS AND GOING DOWN TO WINSFORD, KEEP TO WHAT YOU BELIEVE MATE. I MEET YOU AT DARBY WARD AND HAD A LITTLE CHAT WITH YOU AT BURSCOUGH SEE YOU SOON AND ALL THE BEST FOR YOUR FUTURE EVENTS. :rolleyes: GEOFF

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

This is one of the best posts i've ever read on here. It really puts into perspective just how difficult it is to buck local trends and go against the local soul night crowd to try and play something different. I reckon some people still doubt there is a two tier scene, well this post says it all. It also shows just how hard it is for DJs not to fall back onto the safety of oldies just to keep a minority of dancers happy.

Underplayed across the board (no expensive overplayed rarities i hope) sounds absolutely spot on to me. I'm not sure where Burscough is but i'm going to try and get along to give you my support. :lol:

When's the next one?

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

well i think you are bang out of order.....these true soul lovers paid hard earned money to get into your event and no doubt travel 2 or maybe 3 miles to get to you. Play loads of oldies for them.... :lol:

I know you are right mate and I see the error of my ways now. Next time I will let them in for nothing, buy their ale all night and pay for their taxis home. And give them a nice friendly pat on the bum as they leave. tongue.gif

Social source share

This is one of the best posts i've ever read on here. It really puts into perspective just how difficult it is to buck local trends and go against the local soul night crowd to try and play something different. I reckon some people still doubt there is a two tier scene, well this post says it all. It also shows just how hard it is for DJs not to fall back onto the safety of oldies just to keep a minority of dancers happy.

Underplayed across the board (no expensive overplayed rarities i hope) sounds absolutely spot on to me. I'm not sure where Burscough is but i'm going to try and get along to give you my support. :lol:

When's the next one?

Ta for that----the next event is on Saturday 22nd. March and it takes place on every fourth Saturday of the month. Burscough is in Lancashire on the A59 Liverpool----Preston road (L40 4BZ) and no, we don't play big money records just because of the price tag! Hope to see you soon.

Social source share

Guest toffee lady

This is one of the best posts i've ever read on here. It really puts into perspective just how difficult it is to buck local trends and go against the local soul night crowd to try and play something different. I reckon some people still doubt there is a two tier scene, well this post says it all. It also shows just how hard it is for DJs not to fall back onto the safety of oldies just to keep a minority of dancers happy. Underplayed across the board (no expensive overplayed rarities i hope) sounds absolutely spot on to me. I'm not sure where Burscough is but i'm going to try and get along to give you my support. :lol: When's the next one?

I agree totally, sounds great to me and will definately try this venue out

Belle x

Social source share

Sounds blinkin brill to me. where is Burscough? You must tell ur Djs to stick to their guns and don't cave in! I insist on playing underplayed stuff at my local do where they expect their oldies.....I've emptied the dancefloor on several occasions :lol: some people don't want to hear 'new' stuff' and as you said theres plenty of places for them to go. Well done for speaking out, and tell me where you are, I want to come to the next one!

Deb

Social source share

Ah Burscough!, the Ponderosa greasers cafe! the Fooball club Soul Nights on a Tuesday with the Soul Spinners 4. I'd love to get up for one of these new nights at the Legion . But alas, it's 280 miles away now. That's a ong way on a Lambretta. Good luck with the nights though.

Paul Rimmer

Social source share

Stick with it i say and bolox to the ignorent,

I played a lesser known set at an across the board night 2 months ago and got a bit of a slating cos the majority wanted oldies so a pretty empty dance floor but this weekend just gone i did exactly the same and this time the oldies brigade was the minority and i had the floor rammed for my hour, i am so glad i stuck to my guns and didnt bottle it and play safe safe safe,

good luck and keep at what YOU want to do and if soulies want to share it with you they will :lol:

Social source share

Keep with it and sod em, they knew what you were advertising but thought they could pressurise the DJs to play what they wanted.

Me and my mate are trying to get our venue off the ground near Warrington playing under played 60s soul, R&B and a bit of popcorn so we are expecting the same sort of requests sooner or later but they wont get played

I was talking to Mr Byrne on Saturday at the Hideaway who was telling me how good your venue was. Gonna have to come over and experience it for myself soon

Social source share

Hey Hugh,

Nice pun with the name, right it always seems to me that with the Oldies/Classic's (what ever they might be??) Brigade when you write on a flyer "Across the board", it actually translates in Oldietonian English to "Tune everyone knows (Including my Mum) the words to & are on every cd ever produced" & the mere mention anywhere of "Oldies" wether it be underplayed or semi-rare etc just means to them "Oldies we know & love". huh.gif

In conclusion, your Janus, they don't see & read the same as us & don't want to either, so you could put, "Across the board Flanagan & Allen" & they'd still expect Top 500, so let them moan, give them their money back & carry on regardless, the people you want will eventually search you out & then everyone will be happy. :huh:

Take care, be safe & remember, "Refunds are available, if your not totally satisfied",

Spot. :thumbsup:

p.s. By the way, Hey Hugh, don't get offa your cloud. :thumbup:

Edited by spot
Social source share

Stick to your guns mate :thumbsup: , there are not enough venue's like your's IMO, if the the crowd dressed up in Wigan gear (who only life 5 min's round the corner) can't read or understand your music poicy, tell'em to sod off :thumbup: , Prehistoric Dinosaurs.

They forget that every tune was new to everyone once. 'learn 'don't live in the past.

Good luck in your venture

Willie

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

The thing about burscough though it is an oldies orientated crowd.Thats all the local punters are used to.....personally I think you should stick to your guns but I know myself from venues in the past in Ormskirk and Burscough etc that all they do want is the oldies.

Good luck which ever way you choose because burscough and Ormskirk need the likes of you fine people running these venues.

mel :thumbsup:

Social source share

Keep with it and sod em, they knew what you were advertising but thought they could pressurise the DJs to play what they wanted.

Me and my mate are trying to get our venue off the ground near Warrington playing under played 60s soul, R&B and a bit of popcorn so we are expecting the same sort of requests sooner or later but they wont get played

I was talking to Mr Byrne on Saturday at the Hideaway who was telling me how good your venue was. Gonna have to come over and experience it for myself soon

Dave Byrne is one of our resident DJs at Burscough----great bloke and top DJ. We came to your first event at Warrington, great mix of music and we will be regulars there.

Hope to see you soon.

Social source share

The thing about burscough though it is an oldies orientated crowd.Thats all the local punters are used to.....personally I think you should stick to your guns but I know myself from venues in the past in Ormskirk and Burscough etc that all they do want is the oldies.

Good luck which ever way you choose because burscough and Ormskirk need the likes of you fine people running these venues.

mel :thumbsup:

Ta Mel......hope to see you at the Legion very soon!

Social source share

Dave Byrne is one of our resident DJs at Burscough----great bloke and top DJ. We came to your first event at Warrington, great mix of music and we will be regulars there.

Hope to see you soon.

Yea So he told me, more than once ( is he as mad as a hatter ?????? :thumbsup: )

If you come to the next one, come and have a chat be great to meet you

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

well, i the same as a couple of others on here am friends with tony &lisa and have posted one or two plugs stating how refreshing it is to go to an underplayed do that sticks to their guns without drifting back to the same old tunes , the amount of times i have mentiond buying a tune that may be a bit risky where ? would i play it i told him . always same answer play it here mate if its that good you got nothing to worry about and i have done , tony has some cracking tunes of his own he realy dose try his best the dj's that have played there have been superb from big names to to les well known dj's same as my self but with a similar mind set, regarding the gang that keep asking for the casino dancers of yester year every month time after time, like tony says there are a good few clubs that play those sounds all the time within a taxi ride so i understand tonys frustration, the club is realy geting there now with people travelling a fair distance , i was there saturday as usual and the atmosphere and the music was building up nice then all of a sudden bob ralf comes on ? with more of the same i knew instantly that the afore mentioned had got the dj's to give in , and compared to what we had been listening to and dancing to before hand all night it just didant fit in to say the least , so i can see why tony was so angry and decided to tel it like it is , so if yer sick of the same old stuff that a lot of clubs tend to play try this club you wont be disapointed

Social source share

HI HUGH /BEARSEY FULLY SUPPORT WHAT YOUR DOING ALTHOUGH I HAVE NOT BEEN TO YOUR VENUE. HAD THE SAME AT A VENUE I WAS PLAYING AT FEW MONTHS AGO . MY REPLY WAS I'M PLAYING QUALITY SOUL. DONT GET ME WRONG LIKE OLDIES ,BUT IM A GUY WHO WILL OPEN HIS EARS AND TAKE THE BLINKERS OFF AND ENJOY AND EMBRACE GOOD SOUL MUSIC .YES WE ALL WOULD LIKE BIG MONEY SOUL RECORDS,BUT I GET MY ENJOYMENT OUT OF BUYING AT THE LOWER END OF THE SCALE. LOVE THE SOUNDS I PLAY JUST TRYING TO EXPRESS MY TASTE IN THE RECORDS AND THE MUSIC I LOVE

JOHN H

Social source share

Is that you Tony?

I think there will be more people on here who will know what you're talking about than would have thought possible!

Colin Murphy had the exact same problem with a do he ran in Preston.

He was adamant about the music policy he wanted... same as yours... just good quality soul music.

I was a resident there... and he had some great DJ's on... Karl Heard, Karl Rhodes, Ged Parker, Fred Krol, Geoff Buckley, Phil Threlfall, Paul Sadot... Kev Fearnhead (Soulbarner)... you get the picture...

Anyway... he has stopped running them now due to the fact that he's fed up with banging his head against a brick wall.

And yet... a couple of mile down the road you've got another Preston soul nite packed to the rafters every month... and why?

Because they give them what they want... the same old same old...

Don't be dictated to... do what you feel to be right... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Ah Burscough!, the Ponderosa greasers cafe! the Fooball club Soul Nights on a Tuesday with the Soul Spinners 4. I'd love to get up for one of these new nights at the Legion . But alas, it's 280 miles away now. That's a ong way on a Lambretta. Good luck with the nights though.

Paul Rimmer

Your showing your age there paul

I hear that charlie pace is back collecting again and ski-zee

Tommy is still around and I see jeff cheetam every now and again........wonder if the soul spinners 4 would come out of retirement..........had some great nights back then.......

anyway get your scooter on the road and get your christine back out of retirement.

anyway

back to the thread(sorry folks)

mel

Social source share

Bit like buses these events - nothing for ages then a few all at once.

Have spent last few years becoming more and more disheartened with what was on offer musically - So many good tunes out there but nobody playing them. Went to first night at Soulful Shack in Culcheth this month and WOW what a night that was - absoloutely brilliant and now it appears there's another one at Burscough.

Will definitely be attending on your next night in March - judging by support you're receiving could be a busy night!

Social source share

The Mansfield-Ashfield & nottingham area is saturated with soul clubs at the moment.We have all been on the scene long enough "well most of us :thumbup: "to know which club does it for you,wether its a club playing rare soul or a club playing oldies or modern/r&b etc.So its very "rare" that anyone moans at a venue now because punters know exactly what they will hear when attending a club of their choice. :thumbsup: .

Social source share

The Mansfield-Ashfield & nottingham area is saturated with soul clubs at the moment.We have all been on the scene long enough "well most of us :D "to know which club does it for you,wether its a club playing rare soul or a club playing oldies or modern/r&b etc.So its very "rare" that anyone moans at a venue now because punters know exactly what they will hear when attending a club of their choice. :huh: .

Sadly... that understanding has yet to reach Lancashire :D

Social source share

Is that you Tony?

I think there will be more people on here who will know what you're talking about than would have thought possible!

Colin Murphy had the exact same problem with a do he ran in Preston.

He was adamant about the music policy he wanted... same as yours... just good quality soul music.

I was a resident there... and he had some great DJ's on... Karl Heard, Karl Rhodes, Ged Parker, Fred Krol, Geoff Buckley, Phil Threlfall, Paul Sadot... Kev Fearnhead (Soulbarner)... you get the picture...

Anyway... he has stopped running them now due to the fact that he's fed up with banging his head against a brick wall.

And yet... a couple of mile down the road you've got another Preston soul nite packed to the rafters every month... and why?

Because they give them what they want... the same old same old...

Don't be dictated to... do what you feel to be right... :huh:

HI JOAN

WAS SORRY THEY STOPPED.

SEE YOU IN THE DDA.

REGARDS PATx

Social source share

Sadly... that understanding has yet to reach Lancashire :huh:

not exactly sure about that one joan go to a club in preston as you mentiond before the place is full of people who know exactly what they want same old tunes of the casino days same for the club in wigan same for the club in st helens, all are full of people who know exactly what they want and all 3 do very very well , and we all dont go there because we want somthing diferant at tonys place he is talking about 2 or 3 people at the most , like the other guy says we also have loads of clubs around and most of us in lancashire have been around on this scene for a long time well again some of us given our history with some well known clubs ,its not always the punters fault some clubs i have been to also around lancashire have stated not the old stuff then play exactly that , on the other hand i have been to endles clubs that are well known for playing the old tunes with good atendance and its been the likes of us moaning and trying to change them but i would say in lancashire at the moment its not the punters its the clubs most make out across the board and rare and this and that but bottle it when no bugger dances or turns up i would say its us being the minoraty rather than the majoraty there is more of them than us lol and to be fair to tony he is one of the few that has stuck to his guns and like others have mentiond most punters now know exactly what to expect for us its only one or two die hards that have been coming for a long time that stil turn up and moan

Social source share

Sounds blinkin brill to me. where is Burscough? You must tell ur Djs to stick to their guns and don't cave in! I insist on playing underplayed stuff at my local do where they expect their oldies.....I've emptied the dancefloor on several occasions :D some people don't want to hear 'new' stuff' and as you said theres plenty of places for them to go. Well done for speaking out, and tell me where you are, I want to come to the next one!

Deb

ooh dear :D . If they expect their 'oldies' is that what the night is advertised as? The original poster is quite right in saying what to expect from the night through its advertising, so should be no complaints from the attendees(yer gets wot yer pay for) simple as!

I agree Deb some people are not up for 'new' stuff and there are plenty of places to go to get yer 'classic oldie' fix but if your 'local do' is one of em maybe its not the right place to try and convert the masses :D

Strange bunch these northern soulies are!! they just won't be told whats best for them!! :huh:

Social source share

not exactly sure about that one joan go to a club in preston as you mentiond before the place is full of people who know exactly what they want same old tunes of the casino days same for the club in wigan same for the club in st helens, all are full of people who know exactly what they want and all 3 do very very well , and we all dont go there because we want somthing diferant at tonys place he is talking about 2 or 3 people at the most , like the other guy says we also have loads of clubs around and most of us in lancashire have been around on this scene for a long time well again some of us given our history with some well known clubs ,its not always the punters fault some clubs i have been to also around lancashire have stated not the old stuff then play exactly that , on the other hand i have been to endles clubs that are well known for playing the old tunes with good atendance and its been the likes of us moaning and trying to change them but i would say in lancashire at the moment its not the punters its the clubs most make out across the board and rare and this and that but bottle it when no bugger dances or turns up i would say its us being the minoraty rather than the majoraty there is more of them than us lol and to be fair to tony he is one of the few that has stuck to his guns and like others have mentiond most punters now know exactly what to expect for us its only one or two die hards that have been coming for a long time that stil turn up and moan

HI PAUL AND AREN'T WE PLEASED TONY STUCK TO HIS GUNS. MOST OF US FRUSTRATED AT BY WHAT'S BEEN HAPPENING.

THERE IS SO MUCH WONDERFUL MUSIC AT THE UNDERPLAYED VENUES. IT'S AN EXCIETMENT TO BE THERE AND HEAR RECORDS THAT ARE NEW TO YOU. THANK YOU TO PEOPLE LIKE TONY FOR DOING THIS, ALSO FOR THE DJS THAT UNEARTH THESE GEMS.

WHAT BUZZ THEY MUST GET PLAYING THEM.

IT'S THE MUSIC THAT COUNTS.

PAT

Social source share

Lots of people posting on here with the right attitude, but I would say we are the majority on Soul Source but the minority on the scene unfortunatley. I used to love Colin Murphy's do's and when we ran the Academy in Lytham Myself and Steve would always try to play things that were forgotten or new and interesting. There weren't enough wanting that as for some people it isn't about the music so much as the atmosphere. There was a thread on here a while ago asking whether people would prefer the social side of the scene without the music or the other way around and I was shocked how many chose the social side. :D

I think you're right to stick to your guns, not sure I'd have used the mike though :( , but fairplay. I wish you loads of luck and may even try to get across one night.

Ged

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!