Canterbury - The Younghearts - A Little Togetherness

45cellar

Back on track hopefully, lost four weekends recently.

Needed to Travel to Durham & back to a relation.

Canterbury_C-506a_DJ_Orig.gifOriginal STYRENE Monarch DEMO

Canterbury_C-506a_Orig.gifOriginal Vinyl

Canterbury_C-506a_Matrix.gifupdated_003.gif

On the Original Vinyl Stock Copy

There is an "LW" Lightly Scratched & on it's side just to the Left of the LR.

The Camera failed to capture it in the Photo, I will try again tomorrow.

Canterbury_C-506.gif

The Matrix "67-C-506 A----------LW LR" is Rough to the touchCanterbury_C-506a_B.gif

Is the release with 67-C -506A  LW LR, an original?

Just been looking at a couple of old threads and there is mention of an original with a nashville  matrix. All I've managed to do is confuse myself.

I have a copy with the 67-C-506 LW LR  scratched in. Just trying to clarify if it is  an original  or not, for peace of mind. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi,Just having a clear out and have one of these, did a search to try to find out what it's worth. Mine is same and believe it is a boot. In Manship's guide to reissues counterfeits and bootlegs, he writes: ' The original press can be on styrene or vinyl. The styrene copy has a delta #64811. The vinyl copy has 'child-like' handwriting for the matrix 67-c-506a lw lr. This is rounghly scratched and can be felt with the fingertips. The bootleg was made in vinyl moulded over yellow label identical to the original, but has jc 67-506 -a re 5 in the run-out. "Looking at the scans above I'd not entirely agree that the label is identical- the printing type of 'Younghearts' is different- however I'm satisfied mine's a boot and will therefore flog it for whatever it's worth. Fortunately it only cost me a fiver.

I've seen a few of these 1970s boots, they are very tough to tell from the original.

Social source share

Does anyone know the story of Bobby Sanders leasing masters to Canterbury?  Why did he choose that small L.A. Label?  Who were its owners?  What is the relationship of Pick-A-Hit to Bobby Sanders? I always assumed he owned it.  I assume that he felt that Canterbury could give him better national distribution than he could do on his own.

Social source share

Canterbury and Soul Town were financed by the Mattel Toy company. 

Bobby was a shareholder and Head of A&R for both label's.

Aha!  Thanks.  And, why did they decide to put a Young Hearts release on Pick-A-Hit Records.  Was that just a one-off subsidiary of Canterbury?  I saw several Canterbury releases with no involvement of Sanders.  And only the Young Hearts', which was.  That leads me to have a hard time believing that Sanders was chief of A & R at Canterbury, and even moreso, that he was a major stockholder of that corporation.  Certainly, he was chief of A&R at his own Soultown Records, and the major non-financing stockholder.  But, I still need to be convinced that he had a major role with Canterbury.  Pick-A-Hit was certainly a Bobby Sanders label.  As for Canterbury, - I need some convincing.

Social source share

Aha!  Thanks.  And, why did they decide to put a Young Hearts release on Pick-A-Hit Records.  Was that just a one-off subsidiary of Canterbury?  I saw several Canterbury releases with no involvement of Sanders.  And only the Young Hearts', which was.  That leads me to have a hard time believing that Sanders was chief of A & R at Canterbury, and even moreso, that he was a major stockholder of that corporation.  Certainly, he was chief of A&R at his own Soultown Records, and the major non-financing stockholder.  But, I still need to be convinced that he had a major role with Canterbury.  Pick-A-Hit was certainly a Bobby Sanders label.  As for Canterbury, - I need some convincing.

There is also the Tempos Countdown with a Bobby Sanders credit, but looking at the rest that's about it.

Social source share

"Countdown" by the Tempos was booted on a burgundy label, but is also issued as an original with a burgundy label.  There were two issues of the original; one on the normal yellow label, and a dark burgundy label with silver lettering.

Boots of "Countdown" are on styrene with a light blue label, which replicate the original label, and a burgundy/silver label with "Canterbury" in block letters.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

There is also the Tempos Countdown with a Bobby Sanders credit, but looking at the rest that's about it.

I have both The Tempos and Young Hearts on Canterbury.  That label had no other Bobby Sanders involvement, so I have a hard time believing he was A&R chief and part owner of that label.  As I remember it, he merely leased masters to Canterbury to release and provide national distribution, as they had farther reach than any of Sanders' previous labels had.  He was operating Soultown Productions at that time, but I think he hadn't yet started operating Soultown Records.  As I recall, only the Sandy Wynns are Soul, and all other Canterbury releases were Pop.  NONE of them had Bobby Sanders involved.  Pick-A-Hit Records was certainly Bobby Sanders' label.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have both The Tempos and Young Hearts on Canterbury.  That label had no other Bobby Sanders involvement, so I have a hard time believing he was A&R chief and part owner of that label.  As I remember it, he merely leased masters to Canterbury to release and provide national distribution, as they had farther reach than any of Sanders' previous labels had.  He was operating Soultown Productions at that time, but I think he hadn't yet started operating Soultown Records.  As I recall, only the Sandy Wynns are Soul, and all other Canterbury releases were Pop.  NONE of them had Bobby Sanders involved.  Pick-A-Hit Records was certainly Bobby Sanders' label.

AS can be seen from the links I posted above the most likely owner of canterbury records was Ken Handler.

Social source share

AS can be seen from the links I posted above the most likely owner of canterbury records was Ken Handler.

Bobby Sanders told me the owner of Canterbury records was the son of the co-owner/CEO of Mattel Toys Elliot Handler, a plaything he'd bought for him.

Social source share

• 3 months later...

Ok, I've read this thing in its entirety, and I am not sure if the copy I just picked up is original or not (suspect it is).

1) it is styrene

2) has the correct delta 64811 

3) "little togetherness" vs "a little togetherness as title" 

4) run out groove has jc 67-C-506A-RE then what looks like (LR) then LR "delta"64811

The type looks all official and it's super nice, prolly vg++, picked it up for 30 at a show here. 

Any info? I know that if it were vinyl vs styrene the matrix says it is a boot, but with the rarer stock label variation and it being styrene I think it's an early west coast pressing (maybe before the type had been reset?). 

Chris

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Social source share

I remember mistitled copies having only "little togetherness".  Having Delta starting at 64000 and being styrene makes it clear that it's an original.  The label looks like the proper "age" to be a 1967 record.  A beat up and water-stained record made after 1980 or so, would look different from one from the mid '60s.  I think yours is an original.  It looks exactly like those originals of that variation looked.  I was in Los Angeles in 1967, and I saw that variation there.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 13/03/2018 at 12:40, Northern Soul UK said:

No sure if it has been mentioned or not, but the 'ZEE' copies - Kings of hearts version, is very slightly longer than the others, only by a few seconds, but nice to have :-)

It was mentioned on here a few years ago, but it’s still a valid point.

Also though, the Zee release is 3 years later than the Canterbury original!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!