Joy-tones/love Potion - This Love

Tsu Tomatoes

I did enquire a while back about this/these but hopefully I can get definitive answers this time around as it's really bugging me.

Is one rarer than the other?

Which came first?

Values?

Why are there diferent writing credits?

Why was it released as 2 different artists and labels?

C'mon someone please put me out of my misery!

post-1482-1204154856_thumb.jpg

post-1482-1204154913_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I did enquire a while back about this/these but hopefully I can get definitive answers this time around as it's really bugging me.

Is one rarer than the other?

Which came first?

Values?

Why are there diferent writing credits?

Why was it released as 2 different artists and labels?

C'mon someone please put me out of my misery!

Joytones is first and rarer. It also came out on TCB as the Joytones. I can't answer the other questions.

Social source share

Is the TCB one legit? It looks so bootleggy. I assumed it was a belgium pressing.....

Are you saying the label is inherently bootleg looking (there are other real records on the label) or that that specific record looks like a bootleg? I'm pretty sure it is real on TCB.

Social source share

My copy is The Love Potion on TCB with an instrumental, Mr Farouk on the B side. Neither this or the Joy Tones on TCB are listed in my 2nd issue of John's price guide although he does currently have one listed on his site as the first release before Kapp and very rare @ £125.00, a Kapp issue with a different B side for £75.00 and a Joy-Tones on Coed @ £75.00.

Pete.

Also just noticed on the scans DIFFERENT writers for both copies.Mine has no writer credits but is a Plus Production

Edited by Budgie
Social source share

My copy is The Love Potion on TCB with an instrumental, Mr Farouk on the B side. Neither this or the Joy Tones on TCB are listed in my 2nd issue of John's price guide although he does currently have one listed on his site as the first release before Kapp and very rare @ £125.00, a Kapp issue with a different B side for £75.00 and a Joy-Tones on Coed @ £75.00.

I have a mint- black label Kapp stocker available for a bargain £25+P&P >>> LOOK HERE

ph34r.gif

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest Tommy

i think it has to be a bootleg reissue label

To be honest Bob i thought it may have been it's very first release.

Social source share

To be honest Bob i thought it may have been it's very first release.

the font looks like other random 80s la bootleg / sweet soul labels I've seen, I doubt it's the original release. What is on the flip of it, most of those bootlegs included a different group's songs on the b-side? That would help clarify. Thanks.

Social source share

Guest Tommy

the font looks like other random 80s la bootleg / sweet soul labels I've seen, I doubt it's the original release. What is on the flip of it, most of those bootlegs included a different group's songs on the b-side? That would help clarify. Thanks.

The flip is a instro (i assume the same as thier other release - i dont have a copy to compare), the b-side label has the same label as the a-side but the title etc has been scribbled out so i cant give you a title (miss print). It's not 80's by any means. It's thick, 60's vinyl. I understand your just going by the "quality look" of the label, which i know looks very basic (70's / 80's to the eye) but i assure you this is an earlier local LA press.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The flip is a instro (i assume the same as thier other release - i dont have a copy to compare), the b-side label has the same label as the a-side but the title etc has been scribbled out so i cant give you a title (miss print). It's not 80's by any means. It's thick, 60's vinyl. I understand your just going by the "quality look" of the label, which i know looks very basic (70's / 80's to the eye) but i assure you this is an earlier local LA press.

Sorry, Tommy, I have to agree with Bob - I'm pretty sure that this is a boot. This song has been big with Jamaican record collectors for decades - since the early 70s, in fact, I can remember hearing it played at a blues dance in Walthamstow as far back as 1973. There was even a reggae-cum-soul version of it, on Studio 1 in 1978, by Doreen Schaeffer. I don't think your Retreat 45 looks in any way authentic and I would guess that it was made to satisfy demand, in the pre-eBay 'everything's available now' days, from sound system guys and early 'island soul/originals of reggae' collectors.

Besides which, it's a New York production, sung by a New York group. Can't see any reason why a "local L.A. press" would come out before a release on Coed - a New York label - and, anyway, it doesn't look like any pre-1965 L.A.-style label that I've ever seen.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Pete.

Also just noticed on the scans DIFFERENT writers for both copies.Mine has no writer credits but is a Plus Production

Just sold my COED for £40! Whoops...ha!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Demo.I Wanna Party Some More

Is the Instro This Love or another record Tommy??

Also strange is the credits Al Stewart & Tony Middleton are on this copy.

Why should Tony Middleton be a strange credit for a record that was made in New York, by a New York group, and on a New York label? Seems perfectly logical to me! The 'strange' credits are those that are on the Kapp issue, if anything...

The instro that's on the other side of The Love Potion (and, presumably, the TCB and the other side of Tommy's boot) is a completely unrelated track and an instro to nothing that I've ever been able to identify....

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Sorry, Tommy, I have to agree with Bob - I'm pretty sure that this is a boot. This song has been big with Jamaican record collectors for decades - since the early 70s, in fact, I can remember hearing it played at a blues dance in Walthamstow as far back as 1973. There was even a reggae-cum-soul version of it, on Studio 1 in 1978, by Doreen Schaeffer. I don't think your Retreat 45 looks in any way authentic and I would guess that it was made to satisfy demand, in the pre-eBay 'everything's available now' days, from sound system guys and early 'island soul/originals of reggae' collectors.

Besides which, it's a New York production, sung by a New York group. Can't see any reason why a "local L.A. press" would come out before a release on Coed - a New York label - and, anyway, it doesn't look like any pre-1965 L.A.-style label that I've ever seen.

Not just jamaican collectors but US soul collectors have been after this too, I know people in Chicago who bought this in the 70s. This got no play in Chicago when it came out but actually is known as a 'steppers' cut now.

It is interesting that it has an instrumental flip, though, usually those bootlegs would also include something of interest on the b-side.

Social source share

Why should Tony Middleton be a strange credit for a record that was made in New York, by a New York group, and on a New York label? Seems perfectly logical to me! The 'strange' credits are those that are on the Kapp issue, if anything...

The instro that's on the other side of The Love Potion (and, presumably, the TCB and the other side of Tommy's boot) is a completely unrelated track and an instro to nothing that I've ever been able to identify....

That's why I said strange, Coed copy is the one I see as the original or first issue so why should the other credits vary when its the same track. :wave:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

That's why I said strange, Coed copy is the one I see as the original or first issue so why should the other credits vary when its the same track. :wave:

That's something you would have to take up with whoever sold the master to Kapp Records, I guess. I do know that the Joytones knew nothing at all about the Kapp issue, as I had a NY doo wop collector friend of mine ask the two (then) surviving members of the group about it back in 1998....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert