Antiques & Curios

Earl Van Dyke - " All For You " UK Redifussion 78 RPM ( 1965 ) .......

I was approached recently by Paul McKeever , in regard to seeing if I could come up with information for him, on the above curiosity of a disc ......

Paul bought the disc from a dealer on the internet , and thought no more about it , until he saw the Ready , Steady , Go Tamla Motown Special clips that I had posted in the media section of SS , and sent me an e-mail , to see if I could find out about it .....

Paul's only information on the disc , was it had a connection with the RSG TM Special , recorded on Thursday , March 18th , 1965 ......

After much searching , I confirmed Paul's connection with the RSG TM Special , and that the disc was one of a number of discs used by / for the Motown artists to mime to on the show , in the case of " AFY " , it was used at the start of the show , behind Dusty Springfield's introduction ........

This record is very much a rarity , as there will have been only one copy of it made for the purposes of the artists mimimg to , but what is exciting about the disc - as well as it being a one sided 78 RPM oddity - means that there are copies of the other songs - 20 + - that were used in the special , such as The Miracles " Ooh Baby Baby " , The Supremes" Baby Love " and The Temptations

" It's Growing " , somewhere - hopefully - out there gathering dust in someone's attic or cellar , and not have been lost or destroyed years ago ......

The sad thing about this piece of soulful memorabilia , is that the EVD " AFY " disc , if the others have not survived , may be now a very important piece of musical memorabilia as well ......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1204382509_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I was approached recently by Paul McKeever , in regard to seeing if I could come up with information for him, on the above curiosity of a disc ......

Paul bought the disc from a dealer on the internet , and thought no more about it , until he saw the Ready , Steady , Go Tamla Motown Special clips that I had posted in the media section of SS , and sent me an e-mail , to see if I could find out about it .....

Paul's only information on the disc , was it had a connection with the RSG TM Special , recorded on Thursday , March 18th , 1965 ......

After much searching , I confirmed Paul's connection with the RSG TM Special , and that the disc was one of a number of discs used by / for the Motown artists to mime to on the show , in the case of " AFY " , it was used at the start of the show , behind Dusty Springfield's introduction ........

This record is very much a rarity , as there will have been only one copy of it made for the purposes of the artists mimimg to , but what is exciting about the disc - as well as it being a one sided 78 RPM oddity - means that there are copies of the other songs - 20 + - that were used in the special , such as The Miracles " Ooh Baby Baby " , The Supremes" Baby Love " and The Temptations

" It's Growing " , somewhere - hopefully - out there gathering dust in someone's attic or cellar , and not have been lost or destroyed years ago ......

The sad thing about this piece of soulful memorabilia , is that the EVD " AFY " disc , if the others have not survived , may be now a very important piece of musical memorabilia as well ......

Malc Burton

Talking about odditties and curios ,how is Brian Rae :D
Social source share

Talking about odditties and curios ,how is Brian Rae :D

Old ........

Can you not hear the creaking of his joints ? :lol: ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest yorksoultrain

Malc Burton

wow malc thats a strange one very nice

Social source share

Malc Burton

Okay! BUT.. If that is actually the case for the existence of this 'Most Peculiarly' "ODDITY" ... then it must, without any shadow of a doubt, be THE main contender for the easiest EVER 'Mime' !!!!!!!!

Now.. I know I ain't seen my bed since gettin' out of it early yesterday morning (out again last night!) but I can't be that doolally (surely ?) in believing 'All For You' to be AN INSTRUMENTAL !!???!!

It all seemed to just fall apart, at that point, for me... 'How can that possibly make any sense then?' being the decidingly (thus far)unanswered question that sways my belief as to the credibility of what has been offered by way of explanation so far!

Add to the throw, the equation of '78rpm + (year)1965 = Specially Produced TV Item' and I'm left even more bemused!!

Now, not that I'm a mathmetician or anything like that, BUT.. when I worked that sum out, the answer I came up with was thus:

'78rpm + (year)1965 = A10ad0fb0110Cs' !!!

Did any body else, I wonder, arrive at the same answer ?? Or is it just the tiredness taking over & clouding my perception of things ?

Too, too many questions being 'flung' up by way of the answers offered so far - something not quite right here... is it ??

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :Dno.gif:lol:

(A very tired, sad, old..) FINGERS :lol:

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Heard about these Redifussion 78's back in the late 70's Malc.

Think 'Record Collector' mentioned them nearly 30 years ago, from memory.

They are indeed related to the Ready Steady Go 'Sound of Motown - TV Special' March 1965 - The show was in fact recorded at Redifussion studios.

As I understand it the Earl Van Dyke Sextet provided live accompaniment for some of the performances (Stevie etc) whereas others (where big banks of strings were required) were backing tracks / original Motown recordings. These performances were sung over the top of the backing tracks (originally tapes) which would probably have been cut to acetate / disc for convenience and as 'Reference' (I imagine this would have been pretty standard practice back then).

If you watch the entire show you'll agree that although most were authentic vocals it appears that several were voice mimed.

I think its a nice piece of curio.

On a seperate note, years ago I used to own a BBC Acetate of the Impressions singing "Nothing Can Stop Me" - it's only UK 45 release. I guess the BBC cut this to disc for Curtis and the boys to mime too. Anybody ever see the performance?

Social source share

This was my take on this earlier in the year, I believe that it will be a Virtual One off recording.

Along with other tracks, possibly still out there from the show.

Hi Malc

Straight of the top of my head, I remember some of The Beatles records appearing on 78 r.p.m. in certain countries that hadn't quite caught up with technology, i.e. 45 r.p.m. record decks.

Think India was one of those countries. Possibly Africa, etc

I believe that the B.B.C. had Transcription discs at 78 r.p.m.

for some reason according to this >>> LINK <<<

Just wondering if other companies such as REDIFFUSION followed the same trend.

Nice find, that is Mate.

Regards

Roger

( 45cellar )

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Okay! BUT.. If that is actually the case for the existence of this 'Most Peculiarly' "ODDITY" ... then it must, without any shadow of a doubt, be THE main contender for the easiest EVER 'Mime' !!!!!!!!

Now.. I know I ain't seen my bed since gettin' out of it early yesterday morning (out again last night!) but I can't be that doolally (surely ?) in believing 'All For You' to be AN INSTRUMENTAL !!???!!

It all seemed to just fall apart, at that point, for me... 'How can that possibly make any sense then?' being the decidingly (thus far)unanswered question that sways my belief as to the credibility of what has been offered by way of explanation so far!

Add to the throw, the equation of '78rpm + (year)1965 = Specially Produced TV Item' and I'm left even more bemused!!

Now, not that I'm a mathmetician or anything like that, BUT.. when I worked that sum out, the answer I came up with was thus:

'78rpm + (year)1965 = A10ad0fb0110Cs' !!!

Did any body else, I wonder, arrive at the same answer ?? Or is it just the tiredness taking over & clouding my perception of things ?

Too, too many questions being 'flung' up by way of the answers offered so far - something not quite right here... is it ??

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D:Dboxing.gif

(A very tired, sad, old..) FINGERS shades.gif

Obviously you were tired Mr Fingers , or you would have read - and understood - my posting more clearly , as to the validity of what I had writtren .......

I did not state it was made for The Earl Van Dyke Sextet to mime to , but that it was used behind the introduction by Dusty Springfield at the start of the special , and that it was one of a number made by Redifussion , for the Motown artists on the show to mime to , and therefore , there is a subtle difference between the two .......

1965 ? 78 RPM ? a handbag ?? : I have not a clue as to why it was put on that format , but it is ; it may be that Redifussion had a large stock of blank discs in their warehouse - who knows : if the engineer ever comes forward to divulge information as to why he selected a 78 RPM blank as opposed to a ordinary metal / laquered acetate that was generally available / used at that time , I will make sure that I let you be the first to know ......

By the way - nice use of big fonts and pretty colours - 7/10 .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Heard about these Redifussion 78's back in the late 70's Malc.

Think 'Record Collector' mentioned them nearly 30 years ago, from memory.

They are indeed related to the Ready Steady Go 'Sound of Motown - TV Special' March 1965 - The show was in fact recorded at Redifussion studios.

As I understand it the Earl Van Dyke Sextet provided live accompaniment for some of the performances (Stevie etc) whereas others (where big banks of strings were required) were backing tracks / original Motown recordings. These performances were sung over the top of the backing tracks (originally tapes) which would probably have been cut to acetate / disc for convenience and as 'Reference' (I imagine this would have been pretty standard practice back then).

If you watch the entire show you'll agree that although most were authentic vocals it appears that several were voice mimed.

I think its a nice piece of curio.

On a seperate note, years ago I used to own a BBC Acetate of the Impressions singing "Nothing Can Stop Me" - it's only UK 45 release. I guess the BBC cut this to disc for Curtis and the boys to mime too. Anybody ever see the performance?

I printed a picture of that and also had it on one of the tapes I put out. Then I found it came out on a Spanish 45

Social source share

1965 ? 78 RPM ? a handbag ?? : I have not a clue as to why it was put on that format , but it is ; it may be that Redifussion had a large stock of blank discs in their warehouse - who knows : if the engineer ever comes forward to divulge information as to why he selected a 78 RPM blank as opposed to a ordinary metal / laquered acetate that was generally available / used at that time , I will make sure that I let you be the first to know ......

Malc Burton

Just a thought, but as 45s are louder than 33's, so 78's would be even louder and the scroll would be wider, leaving less chance of jumps and skips. Maybe they felt this was needed for a live TV transmission. Might be for some other reason though.

Cheers

Mick

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

I printed a picture of that and also had it on one of the tapes I put out. Then I found it came out on a Spanish 45

You mean the Impressions BBC "Nothing Can Stop Me" Acetate Pete?

It had a Green and White label, as I recall.

I sold it to Graham Coates mid 80's.

Did he then sell it to you?

:thumbsup:

I have the spanish ABC 45 with pic cover.

Nice!

Sean

Social source share

Just a thought, but as 45s are louder than 33's, so 78's would be even louder and the scroll would be wider, leaving less chance of jumps and skips. Maybe they felt this was needed for a live TV transmission. Might be for some other reason though.

Cheers

Mick

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Hi Mick - and thanks .......

Your explanation could be the reason as to why the Redifussion engineer used it ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

You mean the Impressions BBC "Nothing Can Stop Me" Acetate Pete?

It had a Green and White label, as I recall.

I sold it to Graham Coates mid 80's.

Did he then sell it to you?

:(

I have the spanish ABC 45 with pic cover.

Nice!

Sean

No but it was him who did me the photocopy and recording. he used to send me loads of UK label copies to use in Beatin Rhythm.

Social source share

No but it was him who did me the photocopy and recording. he used to send me loads of UK label copies to use in Beatin Rhythm.

Ah, Gotcha.

He did have some luvverly British (probably still does).

He also managed to prize away my Incredibles "There's Nothing Else To Say" SS Demo, OJays "I Dig Your Act" SS Demo and quite a few others of the same ilk.

Top lad and a serious collector, Graham, with a room full of 45's and fabulous taste in Soul music.

Amongst all those rarities, his favourite record was Tyrone Davis "Can I Change My Mind"

Quality!

Social source share

You're too tired Fingers.

Perfectly logical explanation, doesn't surprise me in the least that 78s were used in 65. 78 rpm means nothing, all record players back then could play that speed.

It's a nice piece of memorabilia.

Steve

Social source share

This record is very much a rarity..The sad thing about this piece of soulful memorabilia , is that the EVD " AFY " disc , if the others have not survived , may be now a very important piece of musical memorabilia as well ......

Malc Burton

Great find Malc. Can't add to what is already known but another curiosity was that by the time Earl van Dyke and the touring Motown band reached Glasgow later in 1965, they had not been paid and wen't on wild-cat strike. Only cash-in-hand from Berry Gordy saved the Glasgow gig which was on the verge of being cancelled. The tour alone is worth a book.

Social source share

Great find Malc. Can't add to what is already known but another curiosity was that by the time Earl van Dyke and the touring Motown band reached Glasgow later in 1965, they had not been paid and wen't on wild-cat strike. Only cash-in-hand from Berry Gordy saved the Glasgow gig which was on the verge of being cancelled. The tour alone is worth a book.

That incident does not surprise me , as the 1965 TM tour was fraught with difficulties , and often played to half , or less than half , full houses , and the ticket returns often failed to meet expenses and wages ........

I agree : a book about what went on during the tour , coupled with the saga of attempting to establish the TM sound in the UK , would make very interesting reading .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Obviously you were tired Mr Fingers , YEP !! :P or you would have read - and understood - my posting more clearly , (See next comment..) as to the validity of what I had writtren .......

I did not state it was made for The Earl Van Dyke Sextet to mime to , but that it was used behind the introduction by Dusty Springfield Which I both Confirm & Acknowledge :D (now.. :lol: ) at the start of the special , and that it was one of a number made by Redifussion , for the Motown artists on the show to mime to , and therefore , there is a subtle difference between the two .......

1965 ? 78 RPM ? a handbag ?? : I have not a clue as to why it was put on that format , but it is ; it may be that Redifussion had a large stock of blank discs in their warehouse - who knows : if the engineer ever comes forward to divulge information as to why he selected a 78 RPM blank as opposed to a ordinary metal / laquered acetate that was generally available / used at that time , I will make sure that I let you be the first to know ...... Brill !! :D (Don't let me find out you ain't stuck to that though, Marc.. :D )

By the way - nice use of big fonts and pretty colours - 7/10 .......

Already bin told you had a 'Big Font' Marc.. so thought you, especially, would appreciate the additional effort I made with my COLOURFUL RESPONSE (particularly given how long I'd been without sleep at the time)

And to end on a more 'serious' note - after reading the link to the Beatles /78, elsewhere on this thread, my curiosity (raised in my earlier posting) now enjoys a better understanding of that particular element. (Education.. What a wonderful thing !! - If only I shared the same view during my schoolday's :D )

Fingers.. :D

Malc Burton

Social source share

You're too tired Fingers.

Perfectly logical explanation, doesn't surprise me in the least that 78s were used in 65. 78 rpm means nothing, all record players back then could play that speed.

It's a nice piece of memorabilia.

Steve

Agree, entirely, with your logic on the 'players of the time' comment Steve.. (and your accuracy of my sleepless state) but concerning the 'why' element - I still disagree. Just because 78's could still be played.. that they would cut them as such doesn't flow with the logic! I'll go, instead, with the explanation offered elsewhere on this thread - of it being more connected with the audio output levels. Still doesn't satisfy my curiosity buds entirely but seems more plausible I think. :lol:

Fingers :D

Social source share

Dear Mr Fingers - or can I call you " Digits " ? .........

Let us call a truce : can we be friends now ? .........

But please stop calling me Marc :lol: ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Dear Mr Fingers - or can I call you " Digits " ? ......... :g::DIn this digital age Malc maybe it is more appropriate :D

Let us call a truce : can we be friends now ? ......... :lol:SORRY.. didn't realise we'd 'Fallen Out' !??! :no:

But please stop calling me Marc :D ........ :lol::Drolleyes.gifI really gotta start wearing me glasses !! Not as if I can blame the 'C' being located next to the 'L' on the keyboard either can I .. Apologies MALC.. & will endeavour to 'get it right' in the future

Malc Burton

'Digits..'

:lol:

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert