Kents New Beed ( R&b With Added Popcorn ) Cd - Inc Luther Ingram - Oh Baby ... Out On Monday

Mike

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

forget sh'mon (not really, nice to see it finally re-issued)- Luther ingram out at last!

can't wait for the 45 though as I prefer it a bit speeded up.

top compilation, amazing the amount of quality r&b still turning up :lol: nice work!

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Saw this the other day. Will definitely be buying it. Bought the marvelous King-Northern Soul on Kent the other day. Great stuff on that. Another gem from Kent. Best compilation label by a long shot.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

forget sh'mon (not really, nice to see it finally re-issued)- Luther ingram out at last!

can't wait for the 45 though as I prefer it a bit speeded up.

top compilation, amazing the amount of quality r&b still turning up :ohmy: nice work!

Now this looks like something I can ask for on my birthday.....a decent CD (plus some cake to go with it) :lol: Jo

Social source share

Got mine off Roger Banks at Prestatyn ...played it as soon as i got home on monday ...its bloody good with some top quailty R&B :unsure:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

just thought id bump this with some info on one of the tracks as it says in the sleeve notes that not much is known - Track 12 'tumbling down'. i know of another version by Peggy King on Roulette 4327. dont have it but know it's called 'up up up (flying high). Might help with tracing the songwriter or whatever info was missing.

GREAT CD BY THE WAY!! so nice to have Luther, Big Ben etc at last after just hearing them out and i love that Gladys Bruce, any plans to put that on 45?

cheers, mik.

(soundfile below)

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

just thought id bump this with some info on one of the tracks as it says in the sleeve notes that not much is known - Track 12 'tumbling down'. i know of another version by Peggy King on Roulette 4327. dont have it but know it's called 'up up up (flying high). Might help with tracing the songwriter or whatever info was missing.

GREAT CD BY THE WAY!! so nice to have Luther, Big Ben etc at last after just hearing them out and i love that Gladys Bruce, any plans to put that on 45?

cheers, mik.

(soundfile below)

Nice one Mick, thanks. If as I suspect it's written by Henry Glover, Wally Hall and Billy Myles, it's a reasonable bet that our Tom Tumbleweed is Billy Myles who cut a few 45s in this period. We continue to learn. I like this version, very Peggy Lee.

Whadya reckon to Mata Hari by Chet Ivey, I love it but someone else wasn't so sure. It's very cute and Coastersy. The lyrics crack me up.

We'll do Gladys Bruce on a single eventually but Luther's gonna be out for Cleethorpes!

Social source share

soundfile of chet ivy,??????????? or do i have to buy the cd????????? i love eotic atmospheric tunes based on late 50s early 60s films!!!!!!!!! cleopatra, sampson and delihla etc

We actually produce the CDs for sale or most of these would never see the light of day! It sounds like this CD is a must for you anyway.

Cheers

Ady

Social source share

May I just say this again: this CD is fantastic. :thumbup:

It hasn't strayed more than 20 centimetres from my CD-player during the past 2 weeks.

Pretty much every damn track on it is superb. :lol:

And that Peggy King above is nice as well. Prefer the "Tom Tumbleweed" take though. :wicked:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

May I just say this again: this CD is fantastic. :wicked:

It hasn't strayed more than 20 centimetres from my CD-player during the past 2 weeks.

Pretty much every damn track on it is superb. :D

And that Peggy King above is nice as well. Prefer the "Tom Tumbleweed" take though. :shades:

yeah me too, i like stuff like the Peggy king to listen to, but wouldn't play it out, probably why i never bought it.

The CD should just be bought anyway, the unreleased tracks are the best ones, fantastic work 7 that Luther Ingram just gets better every time i hear it (not had the luixury of hearing it out regularly like you southerners :yes: )

Social source share

Only one word for it, brilliant, got the cd from Roger at Prestatyn, mentioned this to some friend's and when they went to get one, they were all sold out. Great addition to the 1st two New Breed cd's.

Love the Barbara Perry, Marry Clayton, Joe Simon, Charmaines, Eugene Church, Nappy Brown, Luther, fecking hell 'there's not a bad track on it'.

Well Done Lads

Willie

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

It's no good, I keep seeing the word and thinking "Ah, it must mean..." but then along comes another reference and I'm back to square one.

What in the hall is 'Popcorn' (cos you sure as shootin' ain't talkin' about the stuff that poots out of my pop-corn maker...)? :ohmy:

Social source share

It's no good, I keep seeing the word and thinking "Ah, it must mean..." but then along comes another reference and I'm back to square one.

What in the hall is 'Popcorn' (cos you sure as shootin' ain't talkin' about the stuff that poots out of my pop-corn maker...)? :huh:

https://www.uppers.org/showArticle.asp?article=753

Read the above - it might make it a bit clearer...

Social source share

Guest eedeecee

What in the hall is 'Popcorn' (cos you sure as shootin' ain't talkin' about the stuff that poots out of my pop-corn maker...)? :cheese1:

Club Popcorn in Vrasene, near St. Niklaas (Antwerp) in Belgium started the Popcorn craze.This was around 1974, at the height of the club's popularity.See where it all started by checking this link

https://www.popcornoldies.com/popcorn/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=1 ://https://www.popcornoldies.com/popcor...1

In the early years the DJ's played a great selection of different styles of 50's and 60's music; Doo Wop, R&B, Tamla, Ska and Latin flavoured Jazz like Boogaloo or crazy instrumentals from the 60's like 'Quiet Village' by Martin Denny.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Popcorn...699#entry621699

It's great to see Kent release a collection of mid-tempo R&B tracks with 'added Popcorn'....the start of things to come??

Social source share

Club Popcorn in Vrasene, near St. Niklaas (Antwerp) in Belgium started the Popcorn craze.This was around 1974, at the height of the club's popularity.See where it all started by checking this link

https://www.popcornoldies.com/popcorn/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=1 ://https://www.popcornoldies.com/popcor...1 ://https://www.popcornoldies.com/popcor...1

In the early years the DJ's played a great selection of different styles of 50's and 60's music; Doo Wop, R&B, Tamla, Ska and Latin flavoured Jazz like Boogaloo or crazy instrumentals from the 60's like 'Quiet Village' by Martin Denny.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Popcorn...699#entry621699

It's great to see Kent release a collection of mid-tempo R&B tracks with 'added Popcorn'....the start of things to come??

Thanks for all the nice comments folks, but I must put my hand up to one aspect I feel i didn't do quite right and that is the Popcorn element. Basically there are probably only about 4 tracks on there that are out and out Popcorn. I know it only says "with added Popcorn" but some people might be expecting a bit more. That was due to some tracks dropping out and other great New Breed type tracks becoming available and to be honest I don't think I'd studied the true Popcorn sound enough, although I do know a fair bit about it from my involvement with it in the 70s.

So basically it's a New Breed R&B CD with a taste of Popcorn and hopefully a reasonably correct description of the scene in the liner notes. I think some of the Popcorners will dig the early 60s R&B as well so hopefully they'll be happy with the CD. I now need to do a full on Popcorn CD to make up for it and it would be great to give some proper recognition to the best of the soul and R&B sides that have been played there over the years, not least to counter the huge prevalence of bootleggers on that scene.

In conclusion then this is primarily New Breed R&B but also features some gritty uptempo soul tracks like Barbara & The Browns, Sh'mon and Albert Washington. Several of the bluesier tracks move at a pace too, so it's far from a mid-tempo CD, though definitely a start of things to come.

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Well well well......I thought I was mistaken at first...but no. I've read through this thread 5 times, and not one person has popped on to tell everyone what Shite Popcorn is. Wow...things are looking up.

Looking forward to the Popcorn CD Ady...will be nice to hear some new popcorn stuff :lol:

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Funny you should mention shyte. After buying a couple of CDs labelled as 'Northern soul/Popcorn' (Yes, I did notice they were both Belgian, but I didn't think anything of it at the time...) I was starting to think that 'popcorn' meant 'corny pop', but it would seem from what's been written here and in the references that popcorn is every bit as misrepresented on Ebay as northern soul is. :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing a Kent issue that will set me right.

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Funny you should mention shyte. After buying a couple of CDs labelled as 'Northern soul/Popcorn' (Yes, I did notice they were both Belgian, but I didn't think anything of it at the time...) I was starting to think that 'popcorn' meant 'corny pop', but it would seem from what's been written here and in the references that popcorn is every bit as misrepresented on Ebay as northern soul is. :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to seeing a Kent issue that will set me right.

I have brought popcorn cd's where I've hated every single track...not because the tunes were rubbish...just that they weren't to my taste, after all I detest girlie northern stuff & struggle with pretty much all the doowop I've heard(lots of both of these styles are included in the popcorn genre too), but I would never refer to it as shite. I would be the first to admit the fact that I have very different taste in music to some people, so I'm really not surprised when other folk dislike what I class as wonderful.

Big Voice Crooners Rule OK !!!....closely followed by Big Production & Strings :lol:

Oh my God I could have been.....Miss Corny-pop instead of Miss-Popcorn :lol:

Social source share

Guest eedeecee

I now need to do a full on Popcorn CD to make up for it and it would be great to give some proper recognition to the best of the soul and R&B sides that have been played there over the years, not least to counter the huge prevalence of bootleggers on that scene.

great initiative Ady, can't wait to see that one coming out....hopefully the tracklisting includes MACK VANCE "DOWN BY THE WATERHOLE"....as you may know this is an alternative version of 'dance little girl' by Clay Hammond. I haven't seen this one around ever although it has been on the playlist of some of the Belgian DJ's since ages....

Social source share

Perhaps we should have suggestions for the Popcorn CD, I'll start a new thread later today.

couple of suggestions Ady..

Love is a nightmare - Johnny Darrow (sue)

Your heart wasn't in it - Chuck Collins (dot)

Nothing without your love - Johnny Barnes (Jaba)

Pretty little girl - George Smith (laurie)

Oh what a feeling - Jimmy Ricks

The tingle - Jackie Weaver (chess)... :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!