Is Nothing Sacred ?

'Hucknall: Tribute to Bobby' - Bobby being American singer Bobby Bland

Much amusement in my house on Sunday when my two sons spotted the tour dates for Mick Hucknall in the Mail on Sunday - only a tribute to Bobby Bland - album, tour and film!!!! My pet hate 'does' my all time hero :D

Call me stupid but surely these two are mutually exclusive? How could anyone who likes Bobby Bland like Hucknall ? and how could anyone wanting to go and see Hucknall like Bobby Bland?

I'm sure the ginger one will be able to buy some more Irish fishing rights and a few more rows of vines in his Italian vineyard from the proceeds - but I bet Bobby don't make much - some tribute :P

Please , please don't discuss it's merits on here - just listen to Mr Bland's records and be thankful for small mercies

In case you think I'm making this up =>https://www.simplyred.com/index.php?id=342

Mike

Social source share

• Replies 71
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Much amusement in my house on Sunday when my two sons spotted the tour dates for Mick Hucknall in the Mail on Sunday - only a tribute to Bobby Bland - album, tour and film!!!! My pet hate 'does' my all time hero :lol:

Call me stupid but surely these two are mutually exclusive? How could anyone who likes Bobby Bland like Hucknall ? and how could anyone wanting to go and see Hucknall like Bobby Bland?

I'm sure the ginger one will be able to buy some more Irish fishing rights and a few more rows of vines in his Italian vineyard from the proceeds - but I bet Bobby don't make much - some tribute :P

Please , please don't discuss it's merits on here - just listen to Mr Bland's records and be thankful for small mercies

In case you think I'm making this up =>https://www.simplyred.com/index.php?id=342

Mike

The Malaco website thinks that this is the best news since VE Day! Still, another must have for collectors of comedy records, I suppose. And it'll do till the much anticipated release of "Celine Dion Sings Linda Jones" comes along... :D

Social source share

Much amusement in my house on Sunday when my two sons spotted the tour dates for Mick Hucknall in the Mail on Sunday - only a tribute to Bobby Bland - album, tour and film!!!! My pet hate 'does' my all time hero :D

Mike

I looked at the first line of your posting , and immediately thought that with his Man Ure affiliattions , the ginger tossser was doing a tribute to Bobby Charlton ......

Why in God's name is he doing this ? Stick to you vineyards and leave well alone , Hucknall : The great man does not require you tarnishing his reputation , and by doing this album , you will .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

My pet hate 'does' my all time hero :D

Mike

Got to agree with this. How can a wishy washy softy singer like Hucknell even consider covering the gritty deep and soulful vocals of one of the greatest singers of all time?

Tell me he doesn't do Honey Child? :P

Social source share

Don't really see what all the fuss is about and not sure why people are slagging him when he's actually trumpeting the music of the legendry Bobby Bland and possibly bringing Bobby's music to a wider audience who will go on to buy Bobby's music and dig a little deeper. Hucknall's not everyone's cup of tea, but why slag him/his product when he's giving Bobby deserved exposure? Totally illogical and balmy to slag it and as Rod said, Hucknall'sl ove of soul music is well known and not a flash in the pan, whatever you think of Hucknall's take on "soul" music.

Rich

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Er, I assume you're all aware that he was buying soul records around Manchester in the 80's and that Bobby was his favourite singer, so it's not like a bolt out of the blue.

Very good that,Paul.

ROD

Rod, I was also buying soul records around Manchester in the 80s and Bobby Bland's always been one of my favourite singers. Doesn't mean that I'd think that anyone would want to buy an album of me singing songs that are associated with 'The Man', so why should Hucknall think any differently?

Bobby will not benefit from this album in any way, as he didn't write any of his songs. Also, it's unlikely that anyone who buys the S. Red album is likely to follow through with a purchase of a BB set, so who's the winner here? Not Mr. Bland, that's for sure.

Still, they'll be the first good songs that Hucknall has recorded since "It's Only Love Doing Its Thing" and "Money's Too Tight To Mention"...

Social source share

Don't really see what all the fuss is about and not sure why people are slagging him when he's actually trumpeting the music of the legendry Bobby Bland and possibly bringing Bobby's music to a wider audience who will go on to buy Bobby's music and dig a little deeper.

MH's audience isn't youngsters though, who might then go on to dig deeper, but people who'll be 35, 40, 45, whatever and have had years of at least some exposure to 'proper' soul music and not chosen to investigate further, so i don't see why this would be any different, other than the bit of exposure of getting Bobby Bland's name in the media for a while.

although the 45s spun at NS nights are obscure, every CD shop has sections for 60s soul, Motown comps, etc, they've had plenty of chance to dig deeper if they actually were interested

Social source share

Don't really see what all the fuss is about and not sure why people are slagging him when he's actually trumpeting the music of the legendry Bobby Bland and possibly bringing Bobby's music to a wider audience who will go on to buy Bobby's music and dig a little deeper. Hucknall's not everyone's cup of tea, but why slag him/his product when he's giving Bobby deserved exposure? Totally illogical and balmy to slag it and as Rod said, Hucknall'sl ove of soul music is well known and not a flash in the pan, whatever you think of Hucknall's take on "soul" music.

Rich

Not sure there is any 'fuss' as such and I'm not sure why it is illogical and balmy to pass comment on it if you are a life long fan of Bobby Bland (from '69). What does seem 'illogical and balmy ' is that buying Soul records in Manchester in the early 80's gives him some ability or qualification to record such an album. If this is measure I would say Tony Rounce would make a better stab at it.

In my opinion it will do Bobby Bland absolutely no good what so ever - and if it it did, it would be too little , too late. Hucknall on the other hand will make a lot of money out of it.

Did it do Bettye Swann, John Ellison et al any good when Joss stone did the same thing - I doubt it!

And finally what is the point? by its very nature it will be inferior to the original - because he can't think he can improve on it can he ? if he did he can't think much of him in the first place.

Mike

Social source share

I remember him from gigs in Manchester around early 80's early days jumping on stage with every soul or blues act who'd let him - I can think of Ben E King, Bobby Womack and the Womacks themselves off the top of my head - there was certainly more.

He certainly was buying soul records all around the place even pre-Red in his Frantic Elevators days - he used to buy 45's off me at Manchester Piccadilly Fair at the time - he's the only person I've sold to that actually asked me for a receipt to give to his record company or accountant or whatever.

He certainly is a fan - doesn't make the gruesome idea of him doing a Bland tribute any more palatable tho'

John

PS Perhaps Bobby himself might turn up, join him on stage and show him how it's done.

Social source share

Hucknall on the other hand will make a lot of money out of it.

And finally what is the point? by its very nature it will be inferior to the original

Perhaps that's the point? Hucknall WILL make a lot of money from it, he also knows that he will not be able to improve on the originals, but wants some decent songs to sing and make some money from. He's a singing "artist" and needs material to sing. If he can sing these songs half-assedly and STILL make money and get some concert bookings at the same time, then good luck to him.

Social source share

Rod, I was also buying soul records around Manchester in the 80s and Bobby Bland's always been one of my favourite singers. Doesn't mean that I'd think that anyone would want to buy an album of me singing songs that are associated with 'The Man', so why should Hucknall think any differently?

Bobby will not benefit from this album in any way, as he didn't write any of his songs. Also, it's unlikely that anyone who buys the S. Red album is likely to follow through with a purchase of a BB set, so who's the winner here? Not Mr. Bland, that's for sure.

Still, they'll be the first good songs that Hucknall has recorded since "It's Only Love Doing Its Thing" and "Money's Too Tight To Mention"...

You know this is a nonsense argument!! Merely pointing out that he is a fan and as a singer he fancies doing a set of covers of a guy he admires. Wether he will pull it off who knows. If you were representing Mick what would you advise?

I assume Bobby will get some publicity at least out of it. You'd know more about what that is worth to an artist. I did a quick google and Bobby is 78. Is he still gigging?

It is not outside the realms of possibility that Mick might earmark some percentage to Bobby from sales I suppose nor that a future tour might involve a guest spot?

ROD

Social source share

My pet hate 'does' my all time hero :(

This thread, and this quote in particular have given me a terrible mental image....

Bobby Bland bent over.

Whilst a sweaty pudgy red faced mick hucknall is pumping away at him singing....

"Bobbys Too Tight To Mention"

:unsure:

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

if mick hucknall wants to produce a tribute album to bobby bland it's up to him. if you don't like the idea, don't buy it. is there any more to say?

Social source share

This thread, and this quote in particular have given me a terrible mental image....

Bobby Bland bent over.

Whilst a sweaty pudgy red faced mick hucknall is pumping away at him singing....

:unsure:

That's the product of a sick mind :(

Social source share

Not a fan of Hucknall by any stretch of the imagination, but if he wants to pay tribute to an artist that he respects and idolizes then there's no real problem IMHO. As others have said don't go or don't buy the tie-in product. It's pretty unlikely many on Soul Source would so so anyway. It's certainly not going to affect the way I feel about Bobby Bland (or indeed Mick Hucknall).

I doubt if he's doing it for crass commercial reasons, because, let's be fair Bobby Bland probably doesn't make a great deal of money out of Being Bobby Bland so I think it highly unlikely Mick Hucknall will.

Social source share

You know this is a nonsense argument!! Merely pointing out that he is a fan and as a singer he fancies doing a set of covers of a guy he admires. Wether he will pull it off who knows. If you were representing Mick what would you advise?

I assume Bobby will get some publicity at least out of it. You'd know more about what that is worth to an artist. I did a quick google and Bobby is 78. Is he still gigging?

It is not outside the realms of possibility that Mick might earmark some percentage to Bobby from sales I suppose nor that a future tour might involve a guest spot?

ROD

To quote Hucknall himself..."Bobby Bland has been screwed over the years, like so many of the original R'n'B singers who ended up piss-poor and frustrated after getting into bad contracts. I'm hoping to do an album in tribute to him - my musicians have been going over the songs and I flew over from Milan to see him when he supported Van Morrison - and if I can make this happen I'll make sure he gets something from it".

Taken from 'The Shades of Blue' site... "Hucknall has his detractors (possibly on account of some of the MOR shite He's released) but he can certainly sing. Anyone who cites Bland as an influence and chooses to release an album advertising that fact cannot be all bad.In my book, any exposure that Bobby gets is a good thing and a 'pop star' showcasing the great man can only be a good thing. If only a percentage of those who buy or download the album get to hear the originals, that's still a major plus. And let's face it, he's not going to be around for ever, and when he's gone he's gone".

I can see why know why my wife calls me 'a snobby pompous arse when somebody goes near my precious 6os heros'. :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

ROD

Exactly ! :unsure:

How can it be seen as anything other than good for Bobby Bland ? I bet he is chuffed to bits just for the fact that someone has bothered to try & tell the world that they think he is a fantastic artist who deserves more recognition !

Bobby Bland bent over.

:ohmy:

:huh: That did make me laugh though !

if mick hucknall wants to produce a tribute album to bobby bland it's up to him. if you don't like the idea, don't buy it. is there any more to say?

Absolutely correct again i reckon :(

My take, for what it's worth ;

Can't say i like the portrayed persona of Mick Hucknall, but then we are only going on what is written about him arn't we ? But musically i think he is, or was, a fantastic vocalist !

Can't say i have taken much interest after the Fairground album, but up to that point i had seen Simply Red perform on 4 or more occasions, & i will tell you this, i can't remember the reviled one dropping one single note at any of them !!!

To me he is a very professional vocalist with an amazing talent of being able to go up a notch from the recorded material when performing live ! Not many artists that you can say that about !

Can't remember him murdering any covers in the past either, so i'm sure Bobby's works will get a sympathetic treatment that does it's best to remain a tribute as opposed to stealing it's glory !

So he once said he went to Wigan ? Get over it ! He has as much right to like an artist as anyone, & maybe, just maybe, he wants to try in his own way to get Bobby Bland the respect he feels he deserves & is lacking in the mainstream ?

One thing for sure, he is bound to do more for Bobby Bland than any of us playing records that earned him peanuts 30/40 years back !!!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

If you were representing Mick what would you advise?

ROD

"Retire" is the word that immediately comes to mind, mate... :lol:

Social source share

Van Morrison has been paying homage to BB throughout his performing career, so if anybody has talken Bobby Bland to a wider audience, it's him. They are good friends & have gigged together on numerous occasions. Mick Hucknall? Never my cup of tea, but if it helps BB sell more records, then all well & good.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

"Retire" is the word that immediately comes to mind, mate... :lol:

Have you met him & he offended you in some way Tony ? :D You have hinted that certain tunes of Simply Red may have floated your boat, but you seem to have a distinct dislike of MH.

Come on spill the beans, what did he do ? :shades: As i said, he dosen't come across as a particularly nice fellow so i wouldn't be surprised .

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Guest Bogue

Bogues

dont go there with the Tony & Mick floated yer boat thread

Its only love doing its thing :lol:

:D But if he keeps it up He won't go to the ball, i said, he won't go to the ball !! :shades:

Eh ! stop that now ! biggrin.gif

Social source share

My view for what its worth,

First Mick Hucknall comes for my locality, ie. Houghton Green/Denton, I am a Denton (Manchester) lad myself and although i don't know Mick personally i know plenty of people that do know him, and i can assure everyone on this forum that Mick Hucknall is a Soul fan and in particular has a great affinity for Northern Soul, yes at one time he was a member of a punk band so what!!! and some of his tracks are......

I find it unfair of people being critical about his music, when all he is doing is catering to a mass audiance, its his "job" at the end of the day

His musical style leans towards soul in most of his songs, by the way most self penned, and most if not all of his albums contain at least one cover of a soul/jazz/funk/reggae track as a tribute to the original singer or writer.

Therfore i think he has demonstrated his love of soul music more then once. As for a tribute to BB all i can say is "well done Mick" there should be more artist like you that are willing to see icons of "our" scene get some reward for years of being ripped off, and recogising their influances in a positive way.........

Cheers John

ps.I have seen Sinply Red twice but i not really a big fan :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

My view for what its worth,

First Mick Hucknall comes for my locality, ie. Houghton Green/Denton, I am a Denton (Manchester) lad myself and although i don't know Mick personally i know plenty of people that do know him, and i can assure everyone on this forum that Mick Hucknall is a Soul fan and in particular has a great affinity for Northern Soul, yes at one time he was a member of a punk band so what!!! and some of his tracks are......

I find it unfair of people being critical about his music, when all he is doing is catering to a mass audiance, its his "job" at the end of the day

His musical style leans towards soul in most of his songs, by the way most self penned, and most if not all of his albums contain at least one cover of a soul/jazz/funk/reggae track as a tribute to the original singer or writer.

Therfore i think he has demonstrated his love of soul music more then once. As for a tribute to BB all i can say is "well done Mick" there should be more artist like you that are willing to see icons of "our" scene get some reward for years of being ripped off, and recogising their influances in a positive way.........

Cheers John

ps.I have seen Sinply Red twice but i not really a big fan :shades:

:D Very well put :lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Have you met him & he offended you in some way Tony ? :lol: You have hinted that certain tunes of Simply Red may have floated your boat, but you seem to have a distinct dislike of MH.

Come on spill the beans, what did he do ? :D As i said, he dosen't come across as a particularly nice fellow so i wouldn't be surprised .

Nothing against Hucknall personally, no. I will admit to owning a couple of his 45s and, indeed, in the past I've applauded him for sinking money into the establishment of the great reggae label, Blood And Fire.

I just hate his voice, and style of singing...

I've always thought that the harder he tries to sound soulful, the more he sounds like Noddy Holder (no disrespect meant to Neville The Great here). Perhaps he should record "Merry Christmas Everybody" instead of "Ain't No love In The Heart of the City" (which you just KNOW is going to be on his 'Tribute')....

Social source share

God bless Deadric Malone, that's what I say. She was a great writer...

:shades:

Paul

yeah! Don Robey or "Deadric Malone" (his "creative" pseudonym) is credited at writing over 2000 songs!! I believe he ..err.. copywrited quite a few he aquired from writers. Often wondered how many if any he wrote himself? Mind ya have to give the man credit for Peacock, Duke and Backbeat. Awesome Black labels! He was ahead of Gordy and acheived it in the South too! He mustav been well "ard" :D:lol:

steve

Social source share

In answer to Rod's question about whether Bland still gigging see below from Ohio.com

<<<<Genuine practitioners of melancholy music make area stop Friday for Cleveland Blues Fest.

By Malcolm X Abram

Beacon Journal Published on Thursday, Feb 21, 2008

Every reasonably educated music fan recognizes the names of blues giants such as Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters and B.B. King. But while the blues' PLACE as a building block of pop and rock music is solidified and many blues artists have crossed over into mainstream consciousness, there are many more who have built and maintained successful careers the old-fashioned way. They put together a band and hit the road playing the contemporary version of the old ''chitlin' circuit'' in small clubs and blues festivals and by recording for smaller blues- and soul-dedicated labels such as Malaco. On Friday night, that so-called circuit passes through Northeast Ohio with the Cleveland Blues Fest, featuring Bobby ''Blue'' Bland, Marvin Sease, Mel Waiters, Shirley Brown, Theodis Ealy, Latimore, Sir Charles Jones and Roy C. Though these artists are largely unknown to blazing hip-hop and R&B fans (and even some blues and soul fans may be more familiar with the names than their music), collectively they have been recording and performing for more than a century and have had some hits during their careers.>>>

John

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Often wondered how many if any he wrote himself?

"about none" is probably a fair estimate...

Some of those who regularly contributed to 'D. Malone's bank balance at the peak of 'his' career included Melvin Carter, Oscar Perry and Joe Medwick. The latter also did Bobby Bland's demos for years, until they fell out in the mid 60s. having never learned to read, Bobby always had to learn his songs from recordings and it's reckoned that, as a result, Medwick's own vocal style was very influential on Bobby's early 60s work in particular. I would have loved to have heard Medwick's demo for "Call On Me", one of those that he's known for sure to have recorded for Bobby to learn...

Social source share

Tony makes very good points about the Bobby Bland 'soul' output of the 60s. The Bland sound of this period is really BB interpreting the sounds and recording personalities of (among others) Joe Medwick and Oscar Perry. Masterly interpretations, mind, but still facsimiles of other artists' music. I'm pretty certain that however badly these writers were paid by Robey it made some degree of financial sense to have their songs recorded and released by Bobby Bland. Both artists had tracks released by Robey in their own right (although perhaps not their strongest material, which would have been reserved for Bland) and failed to break out commercially.

None of this is to knock Bobby Bland: how can you? To me he is one of the 20th century's great interpreters of popular song, up there with Frank Sinatra or Elvis Presley.

The Hucknall project is not surprising in any way. I won't be listening and I'm pretty confident that MH no longer has the artistic credibility to turn novice listeners on to the great music he will be referencing. Had he done so in his commercial heyday the outcome might have been slightly different. On a related note I suppose I'm relatively pleased it's Hucknall doing this rather than my personal bªte noire, Van Morrison.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest Bogue

Nothing against Hucknall personally, no. I will admit to owning a couple of his 45s and, indeed, in the past I've applauded him for sinking money into the establishment of the great reggae label, Blood And Fire.

I just hate his voice, and style of singing...

I've always thought that the harder he tries to sound soulful, the more he sounds like Noddy Holder (no disrespect meant to Neville The Great here). Perhaps he should record "Merry Christmas Everybody" instead of "Ain't No love In The Heart of the City" (which you just KNOW is going to be on his 'Tribute')....

A Simply Red track came on the mrs's (honest :P ) cd changer in the car last night. Just couldn't get this image out of my head ! :D

post-5566-1204724141_thumb.jpg

I'll never be able to listen to them again without thinking of your comments now Tony !! :lol:

Social source share

Exclusive publicity photograph for the forthcoming Mick Hucknall " Tonight Matthew , I am Going To Be Bobby Bland " album .......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1204738905_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

i think the problem with this is that while it may raise Bobby Bland's profile, it will also drastically reduce his credibility - which may be a more valuable asset. It's like having your music featured on Alan Partridge's radio show.

at least when an old track is sampled or covered by hip hop / dance artists it retains the credibility of the older artist that they deserve.

Projects like this just push vintage soul further into Radio 2's Sunshine Pastures Retirement home for easy listening music.

Which isn't where it wants to be, seeing as these artists were mostly cooler, badder and hipper than most radio 1 'yoof' artists.

And frankly, Mick Hucknall is a right cock. Didn't he once say he identified with the plight of black people in america, and therefore soul music, because he had ginger hair? :thumbsup:wanker.gif if he didn't, i'm happy to start that rumour.

Social source share

i think the problem with this is that while it may raise Bobby Bland's profile, it will also drastically reduce his credibility - which may be a more valuable asset. It's like having your music featured on Alan Partridge's radio show.

at least when an old track is sampled or covered by hip hop / dance artists it retains the credibility of the older artist that they deserve.

Projects like this just push vintage soul further into Radio 2's Sunshine Pastures Retirement home for easy listening music.

Which isn't where it wants to be, seeing as these artists were mostly cooler, badder and hipper than most radio 1 'yoof' artists.

And frankly, Mick Hucknall is a right cock. Didn't he once say he identified with the plight of black people in america, and therefore soul music, because he had ginger hair? :thumbsup:wanker.gif if he didn't, i'm happy to start that rumour.

Plus the tarnishing of his reputation ......

Hucknall sadly , does not know when to leave well alone .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest Adam G

As the title of this thread says nothing is sacred.

I nearly crashed my ford ranger into jn 43 of the M6 this morning after hearing the abysmall Mick Hucknall fukeing murder one of my favourite Bobby bland songs .

Poverty was taken down to the depths of dance shitness. Of all of the songs you would never have thought this one will do. He even has the audacity to throw in a couple of OHH LOORRDS. Thankfully it is so shit so it hopefully will sink without a trace. Hang your head in Shame Mick Hucknall tribute my arse

Social source share

As the title of this thread says nothing is sacred.

I nearly crashed my ford ranger into jn 43 of the M6 this morning after hearing the abysmall Mick Hucknall fukeing murder one of my favourite Bobby bland songs .

Poverty was taken down to the depths of dance shitness. Of all of the songs you would never have thought this one will do. He even has the audacity to throw in a couple of OHH LOORRDS. Thankfully it is so shit so it hopefully will sink without a trace. Hang your head in Shame Mick Hucknall tribute my arse

A-when you got a headache, A-headache powder soothe the pain..........

Social source share

Bloody hell. Such poisonous diatribes aganst the ginger one. I left off this thread 'cos I didn't see much point in getting involved in a Mick Hucknall slag-off.

But having just read a 6 page Bobby Bland article in in this month's Mojo including some great photos by Andy Fallon, a Bobby Bland interview by Mick Hucknall which was dead interesting, some other coverage by Andria Lisle and a '4 Steps To Bobby' buying guide from Geoff Brown, I'd say that this has probably garnished more publicity for Bobby Bland than he's managed for the majority of his life to date. Plus it get's him in front of 120,000 readers who wouldn't normally be that interested in BB.

The only people who seem to have a problem with all this are on here LOL.

Bobby Bland certainly doesn't, believe me.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Bloody hell. Such poisonous diatribes aganst the ginger one. I left off this thread 'cos I didn't see much point in getting involved in a Mick Hucknall slag-off.

But having just read a 6 page Bobby Bland article in in this month's Mojo including some great photos by Andy Fallon, a Bobby Bland interview by Mick Hucknall which was dead interesting, some other coverage by Andria Lisle and a '4 Steps To Bobby' buying guide from Geoff Brown, I'd say that this has probably garnished more publicity for Bobby Bland than he's managed for the majority of his life to date. Plus it get's him in front of 120,000 readers who wouldn't normally be that interested in BB.

The only people who seem to have a problem with all this are one here LOL.

Bobby Bland certainly doesn't, believe me.

Ian D :D

but you would say that Ian :)

Mike

Social source share

but you would say that Ian :D

Mike

Well, that's 'cos it's true Mike.

When was the last time you saw a 6 page article on Bobby Bland in one of the world's most popular magazines? :)

Funnily enough, I'm not into either Bobby Bland or Mick Hucknall, so it's immaterial to me. I just think think it's kinda easy to be pompous about it. They're both musicians, so why not just leave 'em to it?

Bobby Bland will undoubtably gain a lot of new fans as a result of all this and Mick Hucknall will probably lose a few as it'll be too deep for his mainline audience.

Social source share

When was the last time you saw a 6 page article on Bobby Bland in one of the world's most popular magazines? :)

Well that would be in Mojo no 85 - December 2000 edition - 'Bobby Bland - The singing chauffer of soul tells his life story. By William Lee ellis' :D

They have always given excellent coverage of Black Music - indeed that edition had Dave Godin select his top 20 soul singers also.

Mike

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!