Butch & Keb

Guest Kolla

Producer and DJ Keb Darge's long-running night, known for attracting a loyal crowd and impressive guest DJs - tonight it's BUTCH (6Ts/100 Club) so expect some northern soul thrown in with the funk.

Deep Funk at Madame Jo-jos

8 Brewer Street, Soho London W1

£8, £6 b4 11pm

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest James Trouble

It probably is. I tend to play 50% funk, 50% northern/modern/crossover in my sets. I know Ian Wright, Keb, Jason Stirland and Fryer play similarish proportions. Many of the European 'funk' DJs are the same. Have a look at www.oslosoul.com for an example.

After all, it is all black american soulful dance music, recorded around the same time, in many cases by the same artists and on the same labels.

Try finding soundclips of Frederick Hymes III (soulclub.org) and play it next to Earnie and the Top Notes "Dap Walk" (funk45.com) and hear how well the two styles sit next to each other.

Modern yes, northern - I wouldn't say so. Funk venues sometimes add in a splash, but you're talking about punchy sounds like "I'm a Good Woman" - which although popular on the NS scene, aren't very "northern" (in my opinion).

I would guess the % ratio is a one-off at Deep Funk tonight given the guest DJ is Butch... Butch has many modern records that don't get a regular airing. Deep Funk Djs have always played an ecclectic mix of great tunes across the board - although primarily funk, they'll always fling in an off-beat rock n' roll track, soul, or something.... And, given his background, Keb has been known to play a bit of northern on the occassions that 100 club regulars have come down to the venue.

ouch, the hughes "in a rush" approach to posting kicked in,

(modern/northern) should have read (modern/funk)

no big thing but just though add

How did last nite go then

Suppose like all terms used in soul world, "funk" can cover a vast range, and bet it means different things to different people inc myself

Own likes are "early" stuff, late 60s/early 70s and the sort of northern style popular mid/late 70s, not so much the new york/mecca flavour but the more funkier sort

keb just told me it'll be (and i quote) "30% funk, 70% modern, 10% northern."

so there you go!

Should be a goodun....

Am I the only one noticing the mathematical impossibility of playing 30% funk, 70% modern and 10 % northern?! Maybe it is intentional and the last 10% (northern) gets left out.. I have been told by some people that Eddie Parker's "I'm Gone" is particularly well loved by a lot of funk enthusiasts, and it doesn't get much more northern than that IMO.