Tony Drake-living In A Footsteps-its Soul Time

• Replies 8
  • Views 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yes previously unissued, also from a CD of Tony's unissued stuff from 73-83 called Tony Drake's Collection - Collectors Choice Vol. 1, some other not bad tracks on it. If I remember rightly Tony has his own web site which may have more details. He actually wrote the song under his own name Samuel Garner, and on listening to it think it could be the songwriters demo, anyone know more?

Funny enough had just recorded this to put on Crossover thread, so just off there!!

Social source share

Yes previously unissued, also from a CD of Tony's unissued stuff from 73-83 called Tony Drake's Collection - Collectors Choice Vol. 1, some other not bad tracks on it. If I remember rightly Tony has his own web site which may have more details. He actually wrote the song under his own name Samuel Garner, and on listening to it think it could be the songwriters demo, anyone know more?

Funny enough had just recorded this to put on Crossover thread, so just off there!!

Great story.

Manship has copies of this 7'', for 8 pounds. One for me.

Thanks jocko.

Marcos.

Social source share

Guest Adrian

Great story.

Manship has copies of this 7'', for 8 pounds. One for me.

Thanks jocko.

Marcos.

got round to finally getting one myself last week, after noticing that the copies about seemed to be going....the cheap ones anyhow.

bloody brill but I think the Chi-lites version just edges it for me..just

Social source share

got round to finally getting one myself last week, after noticing that the copies about seemed to be going....the cheap ones anyhow.

bloody brill but I think the Chi-lites version just edges it for me..just

I have chi-lites record. Second best after Tony Drake version, chi-lites souns more 70s.

Tony Drake smells like crossover spirit, the best spirit for me :P

Social source share

I got this track from Tony some years ago. Played it out at Yarmouth etc.

Tried to get him a deal to issue it on a 45 backed with his other Northern / Crossover fave "Suddenly" but after touting the idea around a few labels got very little interest. Shame, i thought it would have been a cracking double sider and a big seller in the Re-Issue market.

Turns out, Steve G has a different mix of it on Acetate, that he also played at Yarmouth.

Soon after, the "It's Soul time" 45's appeared and Tony issued his own CD with several other tasty items on there.

A real Gentleman, Tony Drake, deserving of some success.

Visit:

https://songsbytonydrake.com/

For more information!

:P

Sean

Social source share

The story on this is it turned up in a box of acetates that I bought from Pat Brady around 1992. They were originally from Tom Moulton I think, and I also think Chris King had got them when he was working on his band's album which Tom mixed. Anyway Chris sold these acetates to Pat for northern as I say 92. I came along and got them off Pat, and they included several different and as it turns out vastly superior versions of issued songs - like Will Hatcher (Wand version) of You haven't seen nothing yet, Joe ANderson You and I, Ghetto Children, Daybreak and Tony Drake. The Tony Drake was just a blank acetate and although I played it as being by Tony through the mid 90s at places I DJed, that was purely a guess on my part. (A good one as it happens).

When I was doing Soul 24-7 c 99 Tony obviously noticed it on a playlist, and got in contact - hey you're playing my song. To cut a long story short I cut him a CDR of the unissued version which he later put out on a 7 as he didn't have that version. The 7" version is the one to have, much better mix (presumably Moulton did it - but guessing there). Tony turned out to be a good guy and he's kept in contact periodically with what he is doing. The original song idea I seem to recall came from living in an apartment and fancying the girl next door, and hearing her boyfriends footsteps coming down the corridor every day.

That's the story.

Steve

Social source share

The story on this is it turned up in a box of acetates that I bought from Pat Brady around 1992. They were originally from Tom Moulton I think, and I also think Chris King had got them when he was working on his band's album which Tom mixed. Anyway Chris sold these acetates to Pat for northern as I say 92. I came along and got them off Pat, and they included several different and as it turns out vastly superior versions of issued songs - like Will Hatcher (Wand version) of You haven't seen nothing yet, Joe ANderson You and I, Ghetto Children, Daybreak and Tony Drake. The Tony Drake was just a blank acetate and although I played it as being by Tony through the mid 90s at places I DJed, that was purely a guess on my part. (A good one as it happens).

When I was doing Soul 24-7 c 99 Tony obviously noticed it on a playlist, and got in contact - hey you're playing my song. To cut a long story short I cut him a CDR of the unissued version which he later put out on a 7 as he didn't have that version. The 7" version is the one to have, much better mix (presumably Moulton did it - but guessing there). Tony turned out to be a good guy and he's kept in contact periodically with what he is doing. The original song idea I seem to recall came from living in an apartment and fancying the girl next door, and hearing her boyfriends footsteps coming down the corridor every day.

That's the story.

Steve

It's not surprising that he found you from a posted playlist as Tony even contacts everone who wins a 45 of his on ebay (at least that's how he contacted me and one other person I know). He was a very nice guy when I talked to him via email. No one pointed out here (or at least I missed it if they did) that he is the writer of that Chilites song. Also, the Diplomats back him on his excellent Musicor 45 "let's play house."

Social source share

It's not surprising that he found you from a posted playlist as Tony even contacts everone who wins a 45 of his on ebay (at least that's how he contacted me and one other person I know).

Ha!

:lol:

That's how he found me too, Boba, and why he started sending me copies of his stuff.

I won a copy of "Suddenly" on Australian MCA. Next thing I got an email from the man himself thanking me for supporting his music.

What a guy!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert