Second Chance

Ok, a few years back a couple of Northern Soul 'hits' that were commercial flops when first released got reworked and became big pop records. Thats a fact, not a defense of why, what, when, if, but, etc etc.

What Northern Soul tune and modern artist combination do you think could follow these two into the pop charts purely based of 'commercial pop appeal'

I'll start off with Robbie Williams singing 'Your ready now'

(JUST A LARF, FOLKS)

Ed

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ok, a few years back a couple of Northern Soul 'hits' that were commercial flops when first released got reworked and became big pop records. Thats a fact, not a defense of why, what, when, if, but, etc etc.

What Northern Soul tune and modern artist combination do you think could follow these two into the pop charts purely based of 'commercial pop appeal'

I'll start off with Robbie Williams singing 'Your ready now'

(JUST A LARF, FOLKS)

Ed

amy winehouse doing 'lonely for you baby' would be good

Social source share

I think Duffy could do justice to maybe Etta James - Mellow Fellow, Seven Day Fool or Bettye Lavette - Feel Good All Over, Stand Up Like A Man, I'm Holding On etc. despite what some people think Duffy has a pretty good voice, hard edged and could cover numerous authentic diva numbers.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

More of a deep tune but I think Moby and 'Last Bus from Tupelo' (Frankie Newsomes Sagport offering) would be a great match-up.

On the Northern side, I think M People could do a pretty good fist of 'I'll never forget you' - Snake on sax, the bird with the big barnet has got the vocal range, etc. Don't think it would chart though.

One with a better chance would be for 'Scouting for Girls' to liven up and give an harder edge to the insipid and schmaltzy (imo) Papa Bear and the Cubs rendition of 'You're So Fine'. I'll see if I can put it to them at the Engine Shed in a few weeks cool.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

More of a deep tune but I think Moby and 'Last Bus from Tupelo' (Frankie Newsomes Sagport offering) would be a great match-up.

cool.gif

Them's fighting words where I come from... boxing.gif:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I think Duffy could do justice to maybe Etta James - Mellow Fellow, Seven Day Fool or Bettye Lavette - Feel Good All Over, Stand Up Like A Man, I'm Holding On etc. despite what some people think Duffy has a pretty good voice, hard edged and could cover numerous authentic diva numbers.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Give over, Mark, she'd even struggle with "Nine Time Out Of Ten" and "Lost Summer Love", never mind a real classic! laugh.gif:thumbup::wicked:

Social source share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZ6DtD6cys

This is not what I was looking for, but hey I also just heard Michael Buble singing 'Im coming home baby', so we may have opened the Northern Soul flood gates.

Ed

Uh oh. I don't like the sound of that so much Ed. But here's a taste of what can happen with the right producer, song and band behind you. Just listen to this and tell me that if this had been recorded in '68 and was by Roberta 'Ms Soul' Hightower on Flying Tumbleweed records from buttf**k USA, that this wouldn't have been a monster everywhere? I'd have played it in a second! My fave 'pop' song from last year.......

Ian D :unsure:

Amy_Winehouse___Tears_Dry_On_Their_Own.mp3

Social source share

ian thats likeable

chris :unsure:

Course it is Chris! It's an Ashford & Simpson co-write, a Mark Ronson production and the Dap-Kings on the backing - the only thing not to like is the fact it's that it's drug-slut-whore AMY LOL. The best song Tammi Terrell never recorded.........

Ian D

Social source share

Course it is Chris! It's an Ashford & Simpson co-write, a Mark Ronson production and the Dap-Kings on the backing - the only thing not to like is the fact it's that it's drug-slut-whore AMY LOL. The best song Tammi Terrell never recorded.........

Ian D

I would like to hear the following .........

Westlife doing " Inky Dinky Wang Dang Doo " , or " I'm Coming To Your Rescue " .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Sugababes doing "Do It To It"?

Ian D

Gareth Gates - You Sexy Sugar Plum

The Wombles - Supership

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source