Kenny Williams - You're Fabulous Babe

Guest Carl Dixon

Guest Carl Dixon

I have always been intrigued with promotional material and this track is no exception. Scroll down and play 'You're fabulous Babe' on the composers own website:

https://www.songsbyboblarimer.com/othersongs.html

I think this a great number and very under estimated. Sounds slightly Philly, and no wonder - it was recorded at Sigma Sound but in their New York studios. I have the single and used to sing it all the way to work when I had to walk the 2 miles back in 1977. I think the arrangment is superb and in a class of its own. I know it is very commercial, but the talking over the female backing 2 mins in, just exquisite. The closer after everything stops, unusual! Great track that seems l to be left on the shelf. Does anybody play it at gigs?

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I have always been intrigued with promotional material and this track is no exception. Scroll down and play 'You're fabulous Babe' on the composers own website:

I think this a great number and very under estimated. Sounds slightly Philly, and no wonder - it was recorded at Sigma Sound but in their New York studios. I have the single and used to sing it all the way to work when I had to walk the 2 miles back in 1977. I think the arrangment is superb and in a class of its own. I know it is very commercial, but the talking over the female backing 2 mins in, just exquisite. The closer after everything stops, unusual! Great track that seems l to be left on the shelf. Does anybody play it at gigs?

Kenny Williams " You're Fabulous Babe " ( UK Decca , 1978 ) , was indeed recorded at Sigma in New York , and the arrangement for the session was done by Bert Keyes ........

It was used for the promotional TV marketing campaign by Faberge , for their perfume " Babe " .....

It had chart success here in the U.K. at the time , but I cannot recall what position it reached , but I believe it made the top ten . ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Tis a nice little choon, Carl, I recall I used to sell by the bucket load when released (although people used to get the artist mixed up with Lenny Williams who was in the charts with 'Shoo Du Fooh' around the same time).

Not heard it played out in anger though in 30 odd years... and I would doubt it gets played at gigs these days.

Sean

Social source share

December 77 reached # 24 in the charts

check out the flipside "GIVE ME MY HEART BACK"

that's really good too..

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Played this out a few times at skeg weekender and here in notts.....not much reaction to it.....i just dont get it sometimes :thumbup:

Cause its rubbish...........my opinion :thumbup:

Social source share

Played this out a few times at skeg weekender and here in notts.....not much reaction to it.....i just dont get it sometimes :thumbup:

I found about half a dozen copies in the 70's, sold a couple on ebay cheap, I still have some of copies left.

Decca_F_R_13731.gif

Strange world sometimes, a nice record both sides. Seen a lot worse sell quite easily for a lot more.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I found about half a dozen copies in the 70's, sold a couple on ebay cheap, I still have some of copies left.

Decca_F_R_13731.gif

Strange world sometimes, a nice record both sides. Seen a lot worse sell quite easily for a lot more.

Came out in the USA on EMBER emb-100 in 78 i have it on a stereo/mono dj copy so cant play GIVE ME MY HEART BACK if thats on the flip of the us copy.

catchy tune but never been at a do where it as been played.

Steve J

Social source share

It's funny how things come around.

I actually 'worked' this record when it came out as I used to be a plugger for Decca at the time. I HATED it then. I think the only person who played it back then was Chris Hill.

Always a bit obviously commercial for my tastes at the time 'cos it was used in the perfume ad. Also, having been such a fan of "Come Back", it just didn't appeal to me at all.

Ian D

Social source share

Correct me if I'm wrong (I usually am!) wasn't the demo titled Your'e Fabulous GIRL and changed to babe on the back of the advert?

BH

Correctomundo Blake! Could there be any other use for such a fabulous recall of such minor details in the footnotes of music history LOL?

Best,

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

quote name='BLAKE H' post='716958' date='Mar 8 08, 02:04 PM']Correct me if I'm wrong (I usually am!) wasn't the demo titled Your'e Fabulous GIRL and changed to babe on the back of the advert?

BH

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

• 6 years later...
Guest Carl Dixon

Does anybody know whether this Kenny Williams is the same as Ken Williams who used to produce with Van McCoy in the 60's and maybe the same who sang on 'Come Back'. If so does anybody have a contact detail for him please.

Thank you.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!