Sweet Inspiration - Johnny Johnson & The Bandwagon

OK, I know this was a Top 10 UK hit record in July 1970 but I listened to it again recently and I simply cannot find any flaws in it at all. A fantastic song, great pounding Northern production and Johnny singing his heart out. If this was on a tiny Alabama label by an unknown act surely it would be huge wouldn't it?

Fairly easy to find and a fabulous feel good record with an irresistible hook but could it ever be played or is it considered too pop/available?

Ian D

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

OK, I know this was a Top 10 UK hit record in July 1970 but I listened to it again recently and I simply cannot find any flaws in it at all. A fantastic song, great pounding Northern production and Johnny singing his heart out. If this was on a tiny Alabama label by an unknown act surely it would be huge wouldn't it?

Fairly easy to find and a fabulous feel good record with an irresistible hook but could it ever be played or is it considered too pop/available?

Ian D

Agree wholeheartedly. If JJ had not been a victim of that terrible thing called "nationwide popularilty" he would be a NS cult hero. Just imagine how much play "Breakin' Down The Walls Of Heartache" would have gotten on our scene if it had done here what it did in the USA, and vanished without trace.

"Sweet Inspiration" is a great record. Dusty Springfield's CD only version is really good, too.

I would imagine that there are quite a few of the second or third wave of NS fans who hardly know it. As to whether or not anyone would be brave enough to play it - well, it only takes one....

Social source share

Agree wholeheartedly. If JJ had not been a victim of that terrible thing called "nationwide popularilty" he would be a NS cult hero. Just imagine how much play "Breakin' Down The Walls Of Heartache" would have gotten on our scene if it had done here what it did in the USA, and vanished without trace.

"Sweet Inspiration" is a great record. Dusty Springfield's CD only version is really good, too.

I would imagine that there are quite a few of the second or third wave of NS fans who hardly know it. As to whether or not anyone would be brave enough to play it - well, it only takes one....

Dusty did a version?????? Wow, I've got to hear that - I'm looking for it now.......

I LOVE this song. I vaguely remember 'em playing this on Top Of The Pops and me being a bit sniffy at the time 'cos it was a Tony Macaulay UK produced hit but, now I'm hearing it some 38 years later, it just sounds fantastic.

Johnny Johnson definitely got shortchanged on the N.S. scene. To have made a record like "Breakin' Down The Walls Of Heartache" and 'overshot' the scene is unfortunate but to have made another killer like "Sweet Inspiration" and overshot the scene again is just plain bad luck.

But at least we're agreeing on this one Tony! BTW I'm having an audit of my U.S. 45's shortly and I know there'll be some stuff you'll want in there I think so I'll let you what's going shortly...

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...It wasn't issued until long after she died. I have a feeling that Philips may have been planning to issue it as a 45, but that they and Dusty were beaten to the punch by JJ.

There'll be a JJ retrospective coming out on Kent very soon - all the released Epic masters, plus the best of the Bell singles (including SI, obviously). I'm happy to say right here and now that I'm putting my hand up to accept the 'blame' (LOL)!

Hopefully this CD will at last give some long overdue exposure to JJ's fantastic version (the best version, in fact!) of Jay and the Techniques' "Are You Ready For This"...

BTW I onder how many Sourcers will know that Artie Fullilove was a member of the Epic line up of the Bandwagon?

Social source share

Ian D

Always loved it Ian, but not as much as the ace double sider "HoneyBee" / "I Don't Know" on Stateside!

Pure class (IMO)

Sean

Social source share

...It wasn't issued until long after she died. I have a feeling that Philips may have been planning to issue it as a 45, but that they and Dusty were beaten to the punch by JJ.

There'll be a JJ retrospective coming out on Kent very soon - all the released Epic masters, plus the best of the Bell singles (including SI, obviously). I'm happy to say right here and now that I'm putting my hand up to accept the 'blame' (LOL)!

Hopefully this CD will at last give some long overdue exposure to JJ's fantastic version (the best version, in fact!) of Jay and the Techniques' "Are You Ready For This"...

BTW I onder how many Sourcers will know that Artie Fullilove was a member of the Epic line up of the Bandwagon?

Oh, GREAT call Tony. Put me down for one of them wouldja?

Would be good news because hardly any of JJ's stuff is available on CD. In fact I was going to include "Sweet Inspiration" on a 70's Soul Hits type thing I'm doing with Sony-BMG but it didn't really fit with the rest of the stuff on there, so if you're doing it I'll leave it off for sure. It sounded kinda daft in between Friends Of Distinction and Main Ingredient anyway if the truth's know LOL....

And yep I caught the Artie Fullilove connection in a previous thread....

I feel a Johnny Johnson revival on the horizon......

Is he still around?

Ian D

Social source share

Tony,

Are you including "I Ain't Lyin"? Yet another JJ outing that has passed people by.

Social source share

Tony,

Are you including "I Ain't Lyin"? Yet another JJ outing that has passed people by.

Great track - b side to their also GREAT version of the Four Season's "Let's Hang On". I've just checked my Johnny Johnson section of UK 7"'s and found the following besides SI and BDTWOH which are all there for one reason or another:

"You"/ "You Blew Your Cool And Lost Your Fool" Direction 58-3923 (1968)

"Let's Hang On"/ "I Ain't Lyin'" Direction 58-4180 (1969)

"Mr Tambourine Man"/"Soul Sahara" Bell 1154 (1971)

"Sally Put Your Red Shoes On"/"Gasoline Alley Bred" Bell 1185 (1971)

"Give Me Your Love Again"/"All The Way" EMI 2011 (1973)

"Music To My Heart"/"Lookin' Lean, Feelin' Mean" Epic 3458 (1975) - cover of Patti Austin

A fabulous vocalist who had the misfortune to have a few hits. It's usually the other way around LOL.....

Ian D :unsure:

Social source share

PERSONALLY THINK HIS 70TS EMI RECORDINGS, ALL THE WAY, STRONG LOVE PROUD LOVE AND I DON,T KNOW WHY SHOULD BE MENTIONED HERE. THEY DESERVE TO BE ON ANY JJ COMPILATION :unsure: .

BEST BRI.

Funny you said that 'cos I just played "All The Way" and it's a great 'lil mid-tempo pounder.....

Ian D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

PERSONALLY THINK HIS 70TS EMI RECORDINGS, ALL THE WAY, STRONG LOVE PROUD LOVE AND I DON,T KNOW WHY SHOULD BE MENTIONED HERE. THEY DESERVE TO BE ON ANY JJ COMPILATION :unsure: .

BEST BRI.

Unfortunately they won't be on mine, Bri, 'cos we couldn't get the rights to reissue them...

...never mind, Vol. 2 maybe?

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I love the track, that and 'Pony'. Who wrote it, was it the two tony's? I am sure people would be amazed at what they wrote and for who. A highly underestimated track and UK production I think?

Social source share

Unfortunately they won't be on mine, Bri, 'cos we couldn't get the rights to reissue them...

...never mind, Vol. 2 maybe?

So stand by for an EMI issue of "Now That's What I Call Johnny Johnson" right off the back of yours LOL...

Also, I don't believe this but I just found a version of "Sweet Inspiration" by Samantha Jones on You Tube! How weird is that? It's awful but check this.......

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

So stand by for an EMI issue of "Now That's What I Call Johnny Johnson" right off the back of yours LOL...

Also, I don't believe this but I just found a version of "Sweet Inspiration" by Samantha Jones on You Tube! How weird is that? It's awful but check this.......

Best,

Ian D

Right, I'd better give the JJ album on Direction another listen.

Tony

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Ian - I just played your 5MB bandwidth version and what cracking quality. I never heard it like this before. Thank you for posting it. I may invest in a CD of this if it is available in the shops.

Social source share

Ian - I just played your 5MB bandwidth version and what cracking quality. I never heard it like this before. Thank you for posting it. I may invest in a CD of this if it is available in the shops.

Carl - my 5mb version was downloaded of the net 'cos that was the only version I could find apart from the trusty vinyl 7". Plus that was a struggle too and took me a few weeks to find one - I don't believe it's available anywhere on CD along with the majority of JJ's recorded output which is why Tony's package will be more than welcome when it arrives.

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

I also was aware of this fact , Mr R ........

AF was one of the original members of the group formed in 1967 , along with JJ , Billy Bradley and Terry Lewis ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Carl - my 5mb version was downloaded of the net 'cos that was the only version I could find apart from the trusty vinyl 7". Plus that was a struggle too and took me a few weeks to find one - I don't believe it's available anywhere on CD along with the majority of JJ's recorded output which is why Tony's package will be more than welcome when it arrives.

Best,

Ian D

There was a previous JJ CD - a long-deleted, budget-priced affair on RCA Camden, from a good 10 years ago, which featured only Bell recordings (unlike the Kent CD which - at risk of repeating myself - will feature both Bell and Epic sides). I suspect that the version of SI that you found might have been taken from that...

Social source share

There was a previous JJ CD - a long-deleted, budget-priced affair on RCA Camden, from a good 10 years ago, which featured only Bell recordings (unlike the Kent CD which - at risk of repeating myself - will feature both Bell and Epic sides). I suspect that the version of SI that you found might have been taken from that...

I could well have been Tony - it took me ages to find one. I just like backing up my vinyl with MP3 files wherever possible and just I couldn't find ANY cd with it on. I think I lucked into it on the web, although it's encoded and won't allow me to burn it down so I'm still using the vinyl LOL.....

Bell as a label seems to have been ignored by re-issuers over the years, especially the UK stuff so I'm digging around a lot of these UK labels just out of interest really. Will probably use a Pearls track on a project that's just landed on my lap which obviously wants to piggyback on the Duffy/Amy bandwagon which'll probably make you wince LOL....

But 122 downloads in 3 days from S.S. alone is a good sign isn't it? If you find any demos, unreleased JJ goodies let me know......

Best,

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest adlibsoul

Was Dancin' Master the flip to Breaking down the walls of heartache?Seem to remember playing it on the jukebox at the time. Never heard it since.

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Just played this record, aquired it a couple of weeks ago by mistake and i like it. I would consider myself as a second or third generation Dj and could slip it in amoungst a really well known top 500 tune and a totally obscure one.

Social source share

Just played this record, aquired it a couple of weeks ago by mistake and i like it. I would consider myself as a second or third generation Dj and could slip it in amoungst a really well known top 500 tune and a totally obscure one.

It just wouldn't ever have been played in the 70's, 80's or 90's as it was simply never on the Northern radar due to it being a minor pop hit in 1970 and no one (myself included) would have touched it with a bargepole back then.

But, hey, 38 years later with a different mentality and I think it can hold it's own with anything! Sometimes records are just so great that I think rarity can be ignored.

Also, conversely, many £500+ records which seem rare now, really weren't rare back then. I can still remember Wade Flemons "Jeanette" on Soul Bowl for a quid week after week LOL......

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

It just wouldn't ever have been played in the 70's, 80's or 90's as it was simply never on the Northern radar due to it being a minor pop hit in 1970 and no one (myself included) would have touched it with a bargepole back then.

Ian D :lol:

Massive tune at my local DISCO in 1970.

Back then everybody danced to it just the same as they did to Boogaloo Party (a raging rarity at the time).

The Northern scene's obsession with obscurity has always been a total nonsense to me.

If it's good, just play the damn thing... rare or otherwise!

We just wanna hear good music!

:lol:

Don't we?

unsure.gif

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!