Lightwater - Saturday 8 March 2008

Just a quick thank you to all involved for such an enjoyable evening at Lightwater last night. I haven't been out to a soul do (or anything else much) for over a month, because of problems with my right foot due to a probable trapped nerve.

So when Karen texted me on Friday to ask if I wanted a lift to Lightwater I was only too pleased to accept, didn't really fancy another Saturday night in, catching up with videos. Drove over to Potters Bar, and she took over, picked up her friend Chris on the way, and arrived at Lightwater before 10pm.

This was my second visit and the club's 6th anniversary. Greeted by Moldie and a lady, chatted and went in. A bit quieter than the last time, but there was a very pleasant atmosphere, people of all ages, united by a mutual love of soul music.

Not sure who was DJing when we arrived, but soon after Maxine Woon took over, and did a very good set, mix of Modern and some Northerny type tracks. One I particularly enjoyed was the Springfield Rifle's That's All I Really Need, one I will look out for.

She was followed by Chris who played Brenda Holloway's Crying Time, one of my favourite Motown Northern records, I haven't heard it played out since Prestatyn 2004 I think. Just had to get out there, despite all my resolutions not to dance, sometimes the music just gets hold of you and won't let go.

He was followed by Moldie and Keith Woon double decking. A very nice mix, Modern, Northern and some R&B. Thanks to Moldie for playing Carol & Gerri's How Can I Find A Way, glad he liked it too as I think he said he hadn't played that side. Also had a nice shuffle around to The Time Is Right For Love and You're Gonna Wreck My Life, definitely mid tempo Crossover is the stuff for me till my foot gets right, if it does.

Then it was the end, time to go home. And as usual we were the last out.

I'd like to thank all at Lightwater for a great evening, really made me feel better, made me realise how much I need my trips to soul nights to make my life good. And of course to Karen for doing the driving, and to her and Chris for their good company.

• Replies 17
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Got to agree with Geoff that mid tempo Crossover is good for anyone that can't dance :yes:

Seriously guys, I didn't want to do a negative post on the events thread by saying I wouldn't be there - 'cos as you know I was DJ'ing at "Stolen Hours". Glad it went well for you, and hope to be back at Lightwater soon. :shades:

Now hurry up and get that 2nd room sorted ! :lol: .

-Kev.

Got to agree with Geoff that mid tempo Crossover is good for anyone that can't dance :shades:

It's not that I can't dance, or at least I think I can, after a fashion, the one thing I don't want to do is to start off the pain I had down the side of my leg below my knee, real agony. Suppose I'm a bit of a wimp. LOL.

Guest Bearsy

First off i want to thank moldie for inviting me to spin a few and being on early it gave me a chance to play some tunes that i dont often get a chance to play and i really enjoyed myself,

numbers were down on previous nights but those that was there all seemed to have a good time and it was great to see Alfie and Ruth, Paul and Emma, Chris and Kerry all of which i shall be seeing again this weekend at Sandford and what a laugh that will be :thumbup: great to see Karen,Geoff and Chris too as always and anyone else i may of forgot to mention, some great tunes spun by all and then it was off to the 100 club for more fine music,

ps, Marie are you sure you didnt pinch my bottom as i walked past you :thumbup:

Edited by Bearsy

It's not that I can't dance, or at least I think I can, after a fashion, the one thing I don't want to do is to start off the pain I had down the side of my leg below my knee, real agony. Suppose I'm a bit of a wimp. LOL.

At least you are out and dancing again Geoff. Sorry I missed it but was down in summerset. :thumbup:

anyway at least now you've got your foot screwed back on, hopefully we'll see you out and about a bit more,,,,,like Friday at the Irish !

ATB STeve

Edited by Steve G

Well I think most has been said already .. all the hellos etc.. :lol:

I guess the early start at the 100 club took its toll on us at Lightwater.. but still the friendly crowd that was there looked like they enjoyed thier selfs and thats the main thing...

The quality of music played at Lightwater just gets better and better, I know I dj there so maybe not best coming from me but the dj's Moldie picks can play across the board .. R'n'B to new releases.. but all of a high standard...

I thought last night because the night was quite it left the dj's to be a bit more open minded so it was nice to hear differnt tunes played..

Not to the extreme but there seemed to be a real mix of "Tempo's" "Era's" "Prices" "Classics" "Oldies" and so on...

It may have been quite but the dance floor got some action.. and it seemed people enoyed thier selves mind you I bought a round, 3 pints of Fosters and a diet coke and got a couple of quid change from a tenner.. :huh: think thats why Lightwater is so sociable wink.gif

it's a shame it wasn't bussier cause it had all the makings of a good quality night...

I haven't spoken to Moldie today but i'm sure if he could he would like to thank all those that came along last night..

Take Care yeh :unsure:

Guest malice

Definitely agree Alfie. Was well worth the drive up from Southampton, we had a great night and was good to catch up with everyone before Sandford.

The only thing I am a bit confused about is Bearsy's account of the night. Me pinching your bottom??? More like u pinching mine :rolleyes:

Guest Bearsy

Definitely agree Alfie. Was well worth the drive up from Southampton, we had a great night and was good to catch up with everyone before Sandford.

The only thing I am a bit confused about is Bearsy's account of the night. Me pinching your bottom??? More like u pinching mine :thumbsup:

you should be so lucky girl :ohmy:

Glad it went well. Couldn't make it due to catching Geoff's bad foot. Been laid up since Prestatyn. Slowly getting better, thank God!

Paul as the late Mr James Brown said "Get on the good foot man" :D:lol:

I hope your feeling better,you did'nt look to clever at Prestatyn on the sunday mate.

Toby.

No, I didn't feel too clever either mate. Still off work, but down to Crickhowell on Friday hoping Helen will carry the records....

Paul i'm glad your on the mend,get yourself one of those trolly things, then none of you have to carry the boxes eh.

Paul as the late Mr James Brown said "Get on the good foot man" :lol::lol:

I hope your feeling better,you did'nt look to clever at Prestatyn on the sunday mate.

Toby.

You should of seen him on the monday :D

By the way no "man" in the title Toby :lol: Wanna buy the single as proof ? firkin 70s can't wait to get rid :lol:

You should of seen him on the monday :D

By the way no "man" in the title Toby :lol: Wanna buy the single as proof ? firkin 70s can't wait to get rid :lol:

Ok boss,the title wrong..........Dave why did'nt you pop into Prestatyn town and buy man size Heely trainers for our Paul,he may have looked good in them and he would not have to put his foot down etc,

I would'nt have seen anything on Monday am after Prestatyn,me eyes were a little blurred to say the least :lol: .

You still got them tunes i may fancy if yes give us a ring tonight please(the ones in your box).count us in for the next SHS mate.

Toby.

Ok boss,the title wrong..........Dave why did'nt you pop into Prestatyn town and buy man size Heely trainers for our Paul,he may have looked good in them and he would not have to put his foot down etc,

I would'nt have seen anything on Monday am after Prestatyn,me eyes were a little blurred to say the least :lol: .

You still got them tunes i may fancy if yes give us a ring tonight please(the ones in your box).count us in for the next SHS mate.

Toby.

No probs Toby I'll call you when i get in

See you at SHS, Des is in the States picking up new stuff, get a big pad for your wants list mate :D