NEV

• Replies 21
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

There are two different issues of this on the Wee label. One is the first local Wee release (#106), the there's a "national" Wee release (#714) and later the Vee-Jay release (#714 as well, the second Wee pressing was pressed up by Vee-Jay).

The WEE 106 release is very rare and should be at least £75-£100.

The WEE 714 release is ususally about £50-£75

The VEE-JAY 714 release (demo or issue) usually goes for about £30-£50.

Some scans:

post-1392-1205084742_thumb.jpg

post-1392-1205084753_thumb.jpg

post-1392-1205084762_thumb.jpg

post-1392-1205084785_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

There are two different issues of this on the Wee label. One is the first local Wee release (#106), the there's a "national" Wee release (#714) and later the Vee-Jay release (#714 as well, the second Wee pressing was pressed up by Vee-Jay).

Some scans:

I have the Vee-Jay copies.

Vee-Jay_714a_DJ.jpgVee-Jay_714a.jpg

Extremely desirable, especially on WEE,

That WEE 106 copy is mega rare, I reckon, with the WEE 714 not too far behind.

Even with the Cash, the record could still remain elusive on WEE,

probably more chance of a Vee-Jay copy.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Some scans:

Interesting, Sebastian.

Neither of those Wee copies look like my old Wee copy.

It was more a Burgundy colour with a very solid Sans Serif font.

Sold it early 80's but I remember it clearly.

Certainly didn't have the 'Bunkys Pick' text (as on the 714) nor did it have the small 'WEE' logo as on the 106 shown.

So is there a third WEE press out there? My memory tells me there is.

:unsure:

Sean

Social source share

Neither of those Wee copies look like my old Wee copy.

It was more a Burgundy colour with a very solid Sans Serif font.

Sold it early 80's but I remember it clearly.

Certainly didn't have the 'Bunkys Pick' text (as on the 714) nor did it have the small 'WEE' logo as on the 106 shown.

So is there a third WEE press out there? My memory tells me there is.

:unsure:

Very interesting indeed, Sean.

I've never seen a third label variation of the WEE release, but as you wrote, one might very well exist.

Here is a better scan of my personal copy of the WEE 106 issue in case anyone wants to have a better look at it:

post-1392-1205132871_thumb.jpg

Social source share

From the copies I have in stock at the moment.

This I feel is the release order. Considering the later WEE's carry a Vee Jay release #

1. Wee 106 with the Oakland, Cal. address.

original first press and a different shorter take I

2. Vee Jay 714 using a different masterplate I presume part of the deal was to press some for the label owner Lonnie Hewitt on WEE but Vee Jay retained the 714 catalogue # for that WEE press. ARP stamp in the deadwax

3. Wee 714* first without BUNKY reference, maybe went to California.

*this copy I don't have in stockl at the moment but I feel it will be the same masterplate as the VEE JAY 714 (no Bunky) with the ARP stamp. Someone else will have to check this out.

4. Wee 714 with the BUNKY* reference. The "BUNKY" logo i always thought it was the logo for Bill "BUNKY" Sheppard distributing vehicle.

*Perhaps Bob A. can throw some more light on the BUNKY logo.

so Wee 714 and Vee Jay 714 are the same. Wee 106 is slightly different take.

Fabulous record.. totally under-played.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

so Wee 714 and Vee Jay 714 are the same. Wee 106 is slightly different take.

I disagree about the WEE 106 issue being a different take than the later issues.

My WEE 106 vinyl and the recording of the VEE JAY black issue vinyl copy (which I used to have) sounds the same, but the mastering/pressing/mixing on the VEE JAY copy is however slightly "clearer".

Exact same recording though.

Fantastic record in any case! :unsure:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

I disagree about the WEE 106 issue being a different take than the later issues.

My WEE 106 vinyl and the recording of the VEE JAY black issue vinyl copy (which I used to have) sounds the same, but the mastering/pressing/mixing on the VEE JAY copy is however slightly "clearer".

Exact same recording though.

Fantastic record in any case! :unsure:

"I disagree about the WEE 106 issue being a different take than the later issues"

With due respect your using your memory, I'm using FOUR different copies of the actual record.

To be exact.

Wee 106 is approx 2.13 long.

Vee Jay 714 both STOCK & PROMO & BUNKY dist. are approx 2.35 long

Only a tiny 22 seconds difference !! but i thought it might be worth mentioning.

Social source share

"I disagree about the WEE 106 issue being a different take than the later issues"

With due respect your using your memory, I'm using FOUR different copies of the actual record.

No I'm not. I first played my WEE 106 vinyl and I then played my sound file of my Vee Jay stock copy.

Wee 106 is approx 2.13 long.

Vee Jay 714 both STOCK & PROMO & BUNKY dist. are approx 2.35 long

Only a tiny 22 seconds difference !! but i thought it might be worth mentioning.

I never said anything about the VEE JAY copy not being longer. I said that the WEE 106 and VEE JAY/later WEE releases utilises the same TAKE. Which they do. As I mentioned above though, the sound is clearer on the VEE JAY press compared to the WEE 106 issue.

Social source share

But the VJ DEMO looks a million times nicer Roger! :huh::lol:

Hi Dave

It certainly does look nice, I still remember the first time I heard Part II

Thought it was an Instrumental, then the Vocal came in, the hairs at the back of my neck etc

A beautiful record in many ways. biggrin.gif Absolutely brilliant, still gets me right there. :unsure:

Social source share

Hi Dave

It certainly does look nice, I still remember the first time I heard Part II

Thought it was an Instrumental, then the Vocal came in, the hairs at the back of my neck etc

A beautiful record in many ways. :lol: Absolutely brilliant, still gets me right there. :huh:

Just played part II through to the end for the first time, had no idea the last third was vocal, nice one Roger :unsure:

Social source share

No I'm not. I first played my WEE 106 vinyl and I then played my sound file of my Vee Jay stock copy.

I never said anything about the VEE JAY copy not being longer. I said that the WEE 106 and VEE JAY/later WEE releases utilises the same TAKE. Which they do. As I mentioned above though, the sound is clearer on the VEE JAY press compared to the WEE 106 issue.

Silly me, i do apologise, so it's 22 seconds longer but the same take. Totally understand now.

Social source share

Guest Kym Fuller

From the copies I have in stock at the moment.

4. Wee 714 with the BUNKY* reference. The "BUNKY" logo i always thought it was the logo for Bill "BUNKY" Sheppard distributing vehicle.

*Perhaps Bob A. can throw some more light on the BUNKY logo.

The Bunky's Pick X designates West Side Chicagoan Bill Sheppard's preferred play side. Sheppard started his own Bunky imprint (with B&G & BBS sister labels) in late '66 upon the collapse of Constellation. He operated out of the old Constellation offices on Michigan Ave and recorded his artists at Universal. The label ran thru '69 until he he packed up and ran with the Esquires on Wand. Bunky's national distribution was handled by Wand/Scepter, thus all of the styrene, multiple issues of releases, etc.

Social source share

Thanks for the very interesting info supplied Guy's

Was asking because i collared this yesterday on ebay for $28 and lucky me got a $20 voucher off ebay so it only cost $8 +6 for post !

Described as VG ,lots of light scuffs but plays brilliant!

Nev :ohmy:

post-5460-1205170727_thumb.jpg

Social source share

The Bunky's Pick X designates West Side Chicagoan Bill Sheppard's preferred play side. Sheppard started his own Bunky imprint (with B&G & BBS sister labels) in late '66 upon the collapse of Constellation. He operated out of the old Constellation offices on Michigan Ave and recorded his artists at Universal. The label ran thru '69 until he he packed up and ran with the Esquires on Wand. Bunky's national distribution was handled by Wand/Scepter, thus all of the styrene, multiple issues of releases, etc.

I don't know where you are getting west side (Pruter book?) but I think Bunky Sheppard was from the south side. At least his kid went to a south side high school.

Anyways, I think the in the basement article on the ballads gives some clue about the chicago connection -- I remember it said something about Gene Chandler performing in the bay area and the Ballads backed him on the show or something. The Ballads ended up having their biggest hit with a cover of Gene's constellation side "god bless our love". Given that Bunky worked at constellation, that might explain the connection. There were also more Chicago Ballads connections -- both the Ballads and the Major IV were produced by Mickey Stevenson for the Venture label. The Major IV (formerly the Vows / Majors) are from Chicago and even added extra backup vocals to the Ballads "wish I knew" on Venture.

Social source share

Guest Kym Fuller

I don't know where you are getting west side (Pruter book?) but I think Bunky Sheppard was from the south side. At least his kid went to a south side high school.

Anyways, I think the in the basement article on the ballads gives some clue about the chicago connection -- I remember it said something about Gene Chandler performing in the bay area and the Ballads backed him on the show or something. The Ballads ended up having their biggest hit with a cover of Gene's constellation side "god bless our love". Given that Bunky worked at constellation, that might explain the connection. There were also more Chicago Ballads connections -- both the Ballads and the Major IV were produced by Mickey Stevenson for the Venture label. The Major IV (formerly the Vows / Majors) are from Chicago and even added extra backup vocals to the Ballads "wish I knew" on Venture.

Well, if you want to get technical, he was born in NOLA on 3/20/22 but I always associated him with the West Side because that's where Apex was based. I haven't seen the In The Basement article. Sorry! "All Of My Life" by the the Major IV is one of my favorite cheapies!

Social source share

Guest Rob_Sevier

the West Side because that's where Apex was based.

Apex was on the South Side. Fairly West on the South Side, but still in the area that Chicagoans consider the South Side.

Social source share

Guest Kym Fuller

Apex was on the South Side. Fairly West on the South Side, but still in the area that Chicagoans consider the South Side.

Hey Rob, thanks for the clarification. I met you at the WFMU record show a few months back. Remember how I told you that your name sounded familiar to me? Well, the other night I was going through a crate of records and old mailers that I had in storage at my parent's house and I found a mailer postmarked from 1999 with your name on it so I must've bought something off of you at some point a long time ago!

Social source share

Thanks for the very interesting info supplied Guy's

Was asking because i collared this yesterday on ebay for $28 and lucky me got a $20 voucher off ebay so it only cost $8 +6 for post !

Described as VG ,lots of light scuffs but plays brilliant!

Nev :lol:

Hi Nev, are you going to sell it? I'm looking for this record.

let me know

Marco Nerone

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!