Casablanca Club, The Cleethorpes Collective

The casablanca club, grimsby promoted by the Cleethorpes Soul Collective has two very important things going for it

Firstly it's run by a group (collective) of blokes who have their priorities in order...

Priority 1) give the paying public what he/she want..

Priority 2 see priority one!

None of the pretense, none of the politics, none of the potential negatives that may surround events from time-to-time just damned good across the proverbial board northern soul.

Secondly the venue, and what a venue this is.

A finer venue you could not wish to dance in.

A wooden dance floor of course.

Tables and chairs surround the floor on three side but there is also a raised area around the sides that gives the whole place a kind of collosium effect.

The resident dee-jays of the cleethorpes collective for this night were Nick Borst, Pete Stone and Mick 'Smucker' Smith.

The sounds eminating from the vinyl possessed by these three can match any other residents you can name, not only are the sounds up to scratch but one of the secrets of these three dee-jays is they all like to dance.

Some people (quite a few actually) say that one may find it harder to string a set together for the dance floor unless one dances ones self!

A point for discussion, there may be an occassional exception to this rule but.... it makes sense to me.

A person who's been a vegitarian all his/her life would not be able to create a Steak Diane because he or she doesn't indulge in the delights of the very meat that's the basis of the meal, so can a non-dancer really know what it feels like to dance, or feed the hunger of the dancer?

So, we've got excellent values, stunning venue, residents that deliver exactly what the paying public want, add to this mix guest dee-jays including Roger (R&cool.gif Banks (Nottingham but former Grimsby lad) and Martyn (across-the-board) Bird from the Hull soul club and you have a perfect night for dancers on this scene of ours.

Having waffled on for the last three paragraphs i do have to say, although you may need to be a dancer to play to a dance floor, you don't have to be a dancer to appreciate the excellent sounds served up this soulful Saturday evening.

The cheap bar closed at 1:30, the last record sounded at 2:00 a.m., the paying public filed out the door to face the strong wind and rain of the North Lincolnshire coast with possibly one thought on their collective minds.....

When's the next event here?

Well, if they read this I can satisfy that little quest for information, it's Saturday 28th of June and the guests will be Dave Raistrick and Ian (Mr. Oldies) Gee (subject to confirmation).

The Casablanca... "Of all the gin-joints in all the world, you have to visit this one" to paraphrase Mr. Bogart.

images on site below

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi

Great night & a pleasure to dj at.This is a soul night full of potential with a great set of lads running it,appreciative crowd & a perfect room for a northern night,once the word gets around about this soul night I'm sure it will go from strength to strength.Well done & can't wait to be back in June.

Playlist in no particular order...............

The Dells-Make Sure Cadet Peggy Paxton-It Ain't What I Do Paula LaVern Baker-Wrapped,Tied & Tangled Brunswick Carole Waller-This Love Of Mind USA Dottie & Millie-Talkin' About My Baby Topper Dee Clark-That' My Girl Constellation Emanuel Laskey-Sweet Lies Themla Lonnie Lester-You Can't Go Nu-Tone Deon Jackson-Ooh Baby Carla Robert John-Raindrops,Love & Sunshine A & M Tommy Neal-Goin' To A Happening Pameline Soul Brothers Six-I'll Be Loving You Atlantic Carla Thomas-I'll Never Stop Loving You Horace's Larry Saunders-On The Real Side Turbo Oscar Perry-Main String Peri-Tone Martha Reeves-Love,Guess Who Gordy Edwin Starr-Running Back & Forth Gordy Superiors-I'd Rather Die Sue Lew Kirton-Heaven In The Afternoon Alston Sergio Mendes & Brazil 77-Love Music Bell Martha Reeves-No One There Tamla Motown

Cheers

Martyn

www.hullsoulclub.com

Hi

Great night & a pleasure to dj at.This is a soul night full of potential with a great set of lads running it,appreciative crowd & a perfect room for a northern night,once the word gets around about this soul night I'm sure it will go from strength to strength.Well done & can't wait to be back in June.

Playlist in no particular order...............

The Dells-Make Sure Cadet Peggy Paxton-It Ain't What I Do Paula LaVern Baker-Wrapped,Tied & Tangled Brunswick Carole Waller-This Love Of Mind USA Dottie & Millie-Talkin' About My Baby Topper Dee Clark-That' My Girl Constellation Emanuel Laskey-Sweet Lies Themla Lonnie Lester-You Can't Go Nu-Tone Deon Jackson-Ooh Baby Carla Robert John-Raindrops,Love & Sunshine A & M Tommy Neal-Goin' To A Happening Pameline Soul Brothers Six-I'll Be Loving You Atlantic Carla Thomas-I'll Never Stop Loving You Horace's Larry Saunders-On The Real Side Turbo Oscar Perry-Main String Peri-Tone Martha Reeves-Love,Guess Who Gordy Edwin Starr-Running Back & Forth Gordy Superiors-I'd Rather Die Sue Lew Kirton-Heaven In The Afternoon Alston Sergio Mendes & Brazil 77-Love Music Bell Martha Reeves-No One There Tamla Motown

Cheers

Martyn

www.hullsoulclub.com

i must have been out when you played emanuel laskey - sweet lies!!! bugger, one of my favourit sounds.

great set martyn.

The casablanca club, grimsby promoted by the Cleethorpes Soul Collective has two very important things going for it

Firstly it's run by a group (collective) of blokes who have their priorities in order...

Priority 1) give the paying public what he/she want..

Priority 2 see priority one!

None of the pretense, none of the politics, none of the potential negatives that may surround events from time-to-time just damned good across the proverbial board northern soul.

Secondly the venue, and what a venue this is.

A finer venue you could not wish to dance in.

A wooden dance floor of course.

Tables and chairs surround the floor on three side but there is also a raised area around the sides that gives the whole place a kind of collosium effect.

The resident dee-jays of the cleethorpes collective for this night were Nick Borst, Pete Stone and Mick 'Smucker' Smith.

The sounds eminating from the vinyl possessed by these three can match any other residents you can name, not only are the sounds up to scratch but one of the secrets of these three dee-jays is they all like to dance.

Some people (quite a few actually) say that one may find it harder to string a set together for the dance floor unless one dances ones self!

A point for discussion, there may be an occassional exception to this rule but.... it makes sense to me.

A person who's been a vegitarian all his/her life would not be able to create a Steak Diane because he or she doesn't indulge in the delights of the very meat that's the basis of the meal, so can a non-dancer really know what it feels like to dance, or feed the hunger of the dancer?

So, we've got excellent values, stunning venue, residents that deliver exactly what the paying public want, add to this mix guest dee-jays including Roger (R&cool.gif Banks (Nottingham but former Grimsby lad) and Martyn (across-the-board) Bird from the Hull soul club and you have a perfect night for dancers on this scene of ours.

Having waffled on for the last three paragraphs i do have to say, although you may need to be a dancer to play to a dance floor, you don't have to be a dancer to appreciate the excellent sounds served up this soulful Saturday evening.

The cheap bar closed at 1:30, the last record sounded at 2:00 a.m., the paying public filed out the door to face the strong wind and rain of the North Lincolnshire coast with possibly one thought on their collective minds.....

When's the next event here?

Well, if they read this I can satisfy that little quest for information, it's Saturday 28th of June and the guests will be Dave Raistrick and Ian (Mr. Oldies) Gee (subject to confirmation).

The Casablanca... "Of all the gin-joints in all the world, you have to visit this one" to paraphrase Mr. Bogart.

images on site below

Hi have to agree great venue & most of all the people who run it. we'll be back.

Daryl

Hi have to agree great venue & most of all the people who run it. we'll be back.

Daryl

glad you enjoyed it daryl, the next one in june is now on the 28th and not the date on the flyers (management double booked with a wedding!!!! D'oh!)