Bbc North West News Tonigh

Brav

• Replies 103
  • Views 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Its about Duffy and the revival of the Northern Scene.

Its on at 6:30 tonight.

Dont they know we have'nt gone away.

Well to be fair if it gets people under 40 into the Northern scene its's gotta be a good thing.

Went to the Northern Soul Nationals in Oz and it really was refreshing to see and chat with people under 40 into the scene...bearing in mind i'm 44 this year myself!!

Younger people make it feel fresh and new....let's not knock it!

Social source share

Liam and the two Pauls will get a few more in their night now after that!!! I keep meaning to go down and haven't made it yet. I won't be able to get in the door now!!

I missed it so watched the clip but I think they've cut it quite a bit as my boss here said there was an older chap on too ... :lol:

Edited by reg
Social source share

Liam and the two Pauls will get a few more in their night now after that!!! I keep meaning to go down and haven't made it yet. I won't be able to get in the door now!!

I missed it so watched the clip but I think they've cut it quite a bit as my boss here said there was an older chap on too ... :D

Yeah the clip on here is the lunchtime edition clip that they showed. Its totally different to the tea time version and not as good. We were happy with what they did really. Its all good publicity and hopefully we'll get a few more in next month.

Social source share

Guest veep1296

Yeah the clip on here is the lunchtime edition clip that they showed. Its totally different to the tea time version and not as good. We were happy with what they did really. Its all good publicity and hopefully we'll get a few more in next month.

Hi Paul,

Would Mrs Ferguson and I be too old to get in even if we brought our girls? :-)

David

Social source share

There was an article in our local rag last week about Northern Soul, linked to a do at the weekend (The Pemberton) I would guess that article bought 80-100 extra people in, increasing the crowd by 33%. It will be interesting to see what the TV clip does for the Beat Boutique and wether it brings in the young, or not so young. Good luck anyway! :ohmy:

Social source share

Well to be fair if it gets people under 40 into the Northern scene its's gotta be a good thing.

Went to the Northern Soul Nationals in Oz and it really was refreshing to see and chat with people under 40 into the scene...bearing in mind i'm 44 this year myself!!

Younger people make it feel fresh and new....let's not knock it!

Wouldn't knock anyone getting into our scene, but on the coat tails of Duffy "Northern Soul dancing lessons" are being offered at the sort of places that previously did line dancing. This is taking the piss and degrading a cool scene and your local soul do will have a load of twats doing the hokey cokey on the floor with no intresst in the scene I dispair.

Social source share

Wouldn't knock anyone getting into our scene, but on the coat tails of Duffy "Northern Soul dancing lessons" are being offered at the sort of places that previously did line dancing. This is taking the piss and degrading a cool scene and your local soul do will have a load of twats doing the hokey cokey on the floor with no intresst in the scene I dispair.

Northern Soul cool :huh::lol::lol: you're having a laugh...

Social source share

:huh::lol: not so far just loads of people well gettin into it, no piss takers thank fook... never mastered the hokey cokey myself! :lol: ... come down and see for yourself...

You put your right leg in..or is left first?? aaagghhh darn it...

L

Hi mate think your reading me wrongly. Not got any prop with people getting into the music enjoying themselves. thats what its about. Its just in my area a local dance class is cashing in so you may have people that will turn up with just the dance class and not as say you and I, heard music we liked followed it and discoverd the dancing/ lifestyle/ clothing that goes with it as it should be, thats life thats exciting. I just think that having the last week line dancing this week the Phillydog aint my sort of people. If someone is into soul be it 30 odd years or 2 weeks makes no odds to me thats good you are a soulie. Its a dance class that takes that special thing away from something I hold close to my heart. Hope that clears things up. Best Kimbo

Social source share

Hi mate think your reading me wrongly. Not got any prop with people getting into the music enjoying themselves. thats what its about. Its just in my area a local dance class is cashing in so you may have people that will turn up with just the dance class and not as say you and I, heard music we liked followed it and discoverd the dancing/ lifestyle/ clothing that goes with it as it should be, thats life thats exciting. I just think that having the last week line dancing this week the Phillydog aint my sort of people. If someone is into soul be it 30 odd years or 2 weeks makes no odds to me thats good you are a soulie. Its a dance class that takes that special thing away from something I hold close to my heart. Hope that clears things up. Best Kimbo

I hear ya mate, thought you were only kidding anyhoo.. northern dancin is really picked up watchin and practicing at the house or wherever cause you love it and ya need to get out and express yourself when that tune comes on..dance classes, well i think maybe if someone really has no confidence to get up and would like to learn a few steps then fair enough and then they'll hopefully get to get there own style by going to nights etc. but doing it cause you thinnk its cool or have no real love for the music etc. then its a bit shitty...

L

Social source share

Blimey Kimbo, where's that? :huh:

A kind of reverse situation for me was going to Salsa classes. I love to dance and the only reason I gave it up was that I couldn't really "groove" to the music and that sort of defeated the object of it for me. Yeah, I could have tret it as exercising/socializing, but the soul scene gives me that in abundance PLUS awesome music. However, in the two years since I knocked it on the head, I've complied a CD of Latin tunes that I would happily Salsa to, (if I was any good!) even if it means having to acommodate someone in my dancing space! :lol:

Social source share

Blimey Kimbo, where's that? :huh:

A kind of reverse situation for me was going to Salsa classes. I love to dance and the only reason I gave it up was that I couldn't really "groove" to the music and that sort of defeated the object of it for me. Yeah, I could have tret it as exercising/socializing, but the soul scene gives me that in abundance PLUS awesome music. However, in the two years since I knocked it on the head, I've complied a CD of Latin tunes that I would happily Salsa to, (if I was any good!) even if it means having to acommodate someone in my dancing space! :lol:

Hi Mark,down at the Embankment. Not a prob people wanting to go to classes as such, in their own rite. but being at a niter when the promoters asked if we the fans wanted the camera's in and everyone giving the soulfist and saying No keep it underground. This now just smaks to me of footsie or wigans ovation it cheapens things. Just my veiw we all have em.

You were only after the birds mate with the latin styleeeee.

Social source share

Hi Mark,down at the Embankment. Not a prob people wanting to go to classes as such, in their own rite. but being at a niter when the promoters asked if we the fans wanted the camera's in and everyone giving the soulfist and saying No keep it underground. This now just smaks to me of footsie or wigans ovation it cheapens things. Just my veiw we all have em.

Oh my God :lol::lol:

Extra bouncers on the doors at Silk this weekend :lol:

Mind you, I can think of a few people that could use some lessons :huh:

Social source share

Watcha Kimbo,

Would agree with you on the soulfist playing up to camera's etc although it was Footsie on TOTP that first alerted me to N.S but it wasn't until about 20 years later when I first heard some proper tunes that I realized what I had been missing! I've watched the film clip and I don't think it in any way compromises "the scene" . Perhaps cos I'm a relative newie myself, I don't feel threatened by the possible influx of lots of new people. As someone pointed out, fresh new blood can only be a good thing, as long as it's not just people on the p*ss or taking of it.

No mate, it wasn't to pull "the birds" as I my dancing partner was my girlfriend at the time. Don''t think she would have appreciated it! :lol::huh:

Edited by Maark
Social source share

I hear ya mate, thought you were only kidding anyhoo.. northern dancin is really picked up watchin and practicing at the house or wherever cause you love it and ya need to get out and express yourself when that tune comes on..dance classes, well i think maybe if someone really has no confidence to get up and would like to learn a few steps then fair enough and then they'll hopefully get to get there own style by going to nights etc. but doing it cause you thinnk its cool or have no real love for the music etc. then its a bit shitty...

L

Thats it in a nut ......ya love it and need to express when the toon hits Right on!!

Social source share

L

Got it in one! :huh:

Social source share

What rubbish you talk!

How is people learning to dance to northern "degrading"? And on what do you base your judgement that the scene is "cool"? laugh.gif

If some new faces turn up to enjoy an event without impairing anyone else's enjoyment, what does it matter how they discovered it? Perhaps they should carry a "soulie CV" to show at the door, eh? Or only be admitted if they wear the approved "clothing"? Would that be baggies by any chance? :cheese1:

Social source share

There has always has been and always will be people on the NS scene just for the dancing, (and the one thing I have always been short of is NS dancing lessons!)

I think some have missed the point. This is a soul night for young uns! Not the likes of us.

Its about letting them hear some classics, some R&B and others in a safe environment, with like minded people.

The Duffy video is simply brilliant. I also think many would have had her down for being a black american if they hadn't seen the video.

Bloody hell, relax and enjoy, its not a conspiracy (I don't think :thumbsup: ).

Social source share

There has always has been and always will be people on the NS scene just for the dancing, (and the one thing I have always been short of is NS dancing lessons!)

I think some have missed the point. This is a soul night for young uns! Not the likes of us.

Its about letting them hear some classics, some R&B and others in a safe environment, with like minded people.

The Duffy video is simply brilliant. I also think many would have had her down for being a black american if they hadn't seen the video.

Bloody hell, relax and enjoy, its not a conspiracy (I don't think :lol: ).

Nobody's stressed mate i just posted a veiw for others to comment. which is whats occuring If we all agreed this site would be boring. Enjoy the Conspiracy :thumbsup:

Social source share

For those that cant get it here is a video link.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_73...s=1&bbcws=1

Excellent stuff!!!! Not a big Duffy fan, I can't help but think that the voice is a bit false but hey, I'm not posting to talk about that.

Anything, and I mean anything that gets young and old people to broaden their appreciation of music is to be applauded. If they can develop a broader appreciation of music, they will broaden their minds generally and that is a good thing. Rather than adopt their opinions and tastes from the media saturation and the daily rags.

Do not fear them, they are explorers not conquerors. :thumbsup:

Reading through some of the forum posts on this site has led me to the conclusion that many SS members could benefit from expanding their horizons musically.

The 'scene' is obviously strong and healthy, if you want it to continue, you need to introduce young blood. You're not getting any younger you know. :lol:

Jesssh, some of you purists are starting to sound more like Zionists :shhh:

As for northern soul dancing lessons, f**king brilliant!!!! If I wasn't a 17 stone smoker, I'd be there tomorrow.

...wait a minute, I think I've just had an epiphany!!! :lol:

Edited by shabazzist
Social source share

What rubbish you talk!

How is people learning to dance to northern "degrading"? And on what do you base your judgement that the scene is "cool"? :lol:

If some new faces turn up to enjoy an event without impairing anyone else's enjoyment, what does it matter how they discovered it? Perhaps they should carry a "soulie CV" to show at the door, eh? Or only be admitted if they wear the approved "clothing"? Would that be baggies by any chance? :thumbsup:

Get real - Northern Soul dance classes are as naff as Northern Soul earrings, clocks, birthdays cards, and all the rest of the bandwagon jumping that goes on in the pursuit of a fast buck.

Kim in baggies - you obviously don't know him :lol::shhh:

He's got a great CV though :lol:

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

What rubbish you talk!

How is people learning to dance to northern "degrading"? And on what do you base your judgement that the scene is "cool"? :lol:

If some new faces turn up to enjoy an event without impairing anyone else's enjoyment, what does it matter how they discovered it? Perhaps they should carry a "soulie CV" to show at the door, eh? Or only be admitted if they wear the approved "clothing"? Would that be baggies by any chance? :thumbsup:

Hi Dave Baggies used to make em so no got those out my system. What do I base my Judgement on coolwise don't know really just feel it was/ is. Read the Catacombs threads to me that would have been cool to have been there at that time. Just good to get veiws on thread :lol:

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

I too think the Duffy video is excellent and the guys at Beat Boutique deserve their praise, anything which brings younger people onto the scene is great. My only questions - is there an Oldies room at Beat Boutique for us oldies and somewhere to park our Zimmer frames :rolleyes:

Social source share

Eh? Wash yer lugs out you loonie! :D

Saw 'the lad' at Prestatyn. He had beer but no records in his hands. You've not 'trained' him right. :rolleyes:tongue.gif

Hi Dave

I think the opening minute of Mercy sounds like something like Etta James or even a Betty Lavette would have been recording in the 60ts.

I have an inkling you may disagree with this.....? :P

As for him having no records in his hands..... I was in his house last week and looking at some of the stuff I had given him, which was in his "I Don't Play These" box.

Bloody unbelievable! I played Whole Lot Of Shakin Going On by the Miracles for him, and it immediately went in his "current" box, accompanied by comments such as " I didn't know I had this!" ditto with Sweet Sweet Lovin and others.

Bloody kids, who'd have 'em?

Social source share

the old scene didant want shitt on tv as thats what made it in to a piss take !! and spoild it and you endid up with clubs full of twa..s , people did there best to keep it away from the media thats part of the underground scene that it was, and made it so very special you do not need to f,,,, advertise it you heard about it in many diferent ways , if kidds these days have to be f,,,, draged in to it and its got to be dressed up to apeal to them then f,,, me whats it all come to ??? northern soul dancing lesons you got to be kiding me !!!! oh the scene will die !!!! may be thats not a bad thing because the way some tw..s , on here are talking i wouldent want to be apart of the new scene , what its become and what it started out as are two very diferent things the one thing that all the old school was afraid of was publicity we didant need it back then you got in to it vier freinds and the music you liked it or you didant' so now the very thing that this scene has allways been proud not to be "commercial " is the way forward to atract er? younger people what a joke, r i p northern soul scene buy some cd's and take dancing lesons is this what its come to ??

Edited by mepaul50
Social source share

Excellent stuff!!!! Not a big Duffy fan, I can't help but think that the voice is a bit false but hey, I'm not posting to talk about that.

Anything, and I mean anything that gets young and old people to broaden their appreciation of music is to be applauded. If they can develop a broader appreciation of music, they will broaden their minds generally and that is a good thing. Rather than adopt their opinions and tastes from the media saturation and the daily rags.

Do not fear them, they are explorers not conquerors. :unsure:

Reading through some of the forum posts on this site has led me to the conclusion that many SS members could benefit from expanding their horizons musically.

The 'scene' is obviously strong and healthy, if you want it to continue, you need to introduce young blood. You're not getting any younger you know. laugh.gif

Jesssh, some of you purists are starting to sound more like Zionists :lol:

As for northern soul dancing lessons, f**king brilliant!!!! If I wasn't a 17 stone smoker, I'd be there tomorrow.

...wait a minute, I think I've just had an epiphany!!! :(

what a load of b*l*cks

if you start changing things its not the same f.. scene then is it ? whats got to change ?? northern soul music is exactly what it is ` if you got to change the music it aint northern soul any more is it ??? ? and if the kids dont like it` then there aint much you can say or do you ether like it or you dont , you dont go to a hard house rave and say numbers are droping mate may be a bit of northern would help , yeah the er? scene is healthy with nearly all 40 to 65 year olds mostly people that started it in the first place and i dont know any people that was as you say "introduced " to it i found it because i liked it ` i think you will find that most kids now a days dont!, simple as that, the truth is there may be a few that will carry it on i hope they do but i think it will die you can take a horse to water as they say , there is nothing any body can do , and as for musical taste or horizons mine as a lot of other peoples on here are extremely varied , are you sure your on the right forum mate ??? northern soul dancing lesons ..... i rest my case it seems to me your scene is a very diferant one to mine ,rip the northern soul scene oh! and just for the record we dont all turn up in fancy dress costumes i have nothing against them but i realy think they have done more damage to this scene than any one, at best i find them funny at worst embaessing, how are you going to attract young folk to our do's when you see old men&women loking like clowns

Edited by mepaul50
Social source share

lordy lordy :unsure:

I can just se it now, sat night BBC 1 ' strickly northern '

Edited by joto
Social source share

what a load of b*l*cks

if you start changing things its not the same f.. scene then is it ? whats got to change ?? northern soul music is exactly what it is ` if you got to change the music it aint northern soul any more is it ??? ? and if the kids dont like it` then there aint much you can say or do you ether like it or you dont , you dont go to a hard house rave and say numbers are droping mate may be a bit of northern would help , yeah the er? scene is healthy with nearly all 40 to 65 year olds mostly people that started it in the first place and i dont know any people that was as you say "introduced " to it i found it because i liked it ` i think you will find that most kids now a days dont!, simple as that, the truth is there may be a few that will carry it on i hope they do but i think it will die you can take a horse to water as they say , there is nothing any body can do , and as for musical taste or horizons mine as a lot of other peoples on here are extremely varied , are you sure your on the right forum mate ??? northern soul dancing lesons ..... i rest my case it seems to me your scene is a very diferant one to mine ,rip the northern soul scene oh! and just for the record we dont all turn up in fancy gress costumes i have nothing against them but i realy think they have done more damage to this scene than any one, at best i find them funny at worst embaessing, how are you going to attract young folk to our do's when you see old men&women loking like clowns

Amen to that :unsure:

Only divs take dancing lessons :(laugh.gif:lol:

Social source share

No such thing as northernsoul dancin`loads of style and shapes out there,learnin` nsoul dancin`is it like one dance fits all typa`dance they learn......and lastly some of us can dance some cant.

Social source share

Get real - Northern Soul dance classes are as naff as Northern Soul earrings, clocks, birthdays cards, and all the rest of the bandwagon jumping that goes on in the pursuit of a fast buck.

Kim in baggies - you obviously don't know him :lol:laugh.gif

He's got a great CV though :P

Naff indeed, which is why it's of no interest to most of us and why we pass it by. And also why I couldn't care less if some are drawn by it. None of my business really.. nor anybody else's. Real enough for you? :lol:

Social source share

what a load of b*l*cks

if you start changing things its not the same f.. scene then is it ? whats got to change ?? northern soul music is exactly what it is ` if you got to change the music it aint northern soul any more is it ??? ? and if the kids dont like it` then there aint much you can say or do you ether like it or you dont , you dont go to a hard house rave and say numbers are droping mate may be a bit of northern would help , yeah the er? scene is healthy with nearly all 40 to 65 year olds mostly people that started it in the first place and i dont know any people that was as you say "introduced " to it i found it because i liked it ` i think you will find that most kids now a days dont!, simple as that, the truth is there may be a few that will carry it on i hope they do but i think it will die you can take a horse to water as they say , there is nothing any body can do , and as for musical taste or horizons mine as a lot of other peoples on here are extremely varied , are you sure your on the right forum mate ??? northern soul dancing lesons ..... i rest my case it seems to me your scene is a very diferant one to mine ,rip the northern soul scene oh! and just for the record we dont all turn up in fancy dress costumes i have nothing against them but i realy think they have done more damage to this scene than any one, at best i find them funny at worst embaessing, how are you going to attract young folk to our do's when you see old men&women loking like clowns

Hi Paul

I honestly think you have made some good points on your 2 posts.

I also believe you did yourself no favours with the way you did it. I am on here regularly, and may be controversial and blatantly wrong at times, but I do not consider myself, although others might, to be a t..t.

I can imagine Liam Q, Paul W and Paul B not wanting Soul Sourcers, including me, at this do, because I'll bet that this exactly the kind of response they thought they would get from us stick in the muds on here.

Its a different scene.

Ta,

Brian B

Social source share

what a load of b*l*cks

Congaratulations, you've just managed to prove my point and infact you put it in better words than I ever could. :thumbsup:

Where did I say anything about changing the scene? or changing the music? I think you've completely missed the point of my post!

If people turn up once they are experimenting with something new, if they turn up again it is because they liked the experience, I doubt very much they would be turning up with a box of hard house to try and get the early spot on the deks! :lol::thumbup:

If someone new can turn up to night and express themselves to the music they have just discoverd, with moves they learned / develped the previous week in their local village hall, is that such a problem for you?

So you see N.Soul as an exclusive club for 40 - 65 year olds do you? Utter rubbish. What next ...all-nighters hosted by Saga Holidays? :D:P:lol::P

As someone on here has already said, it shouldn't matter what your background or age is, if you are into the music and love soul,

then they should be welcome.

I don't know anything about turning up in fancy dress, I guess if you turn up looking like a prat then you probably are one, just as if you talk like a prat then you probably are one.

Tony P

"Correct me if I am wrong, but

You cannot learn to love the music, it either grabs you by the nuts and don't let go, or it doesn't."

...I agree with you but who said otherwise?

This negativity is all very, very disappointing !

The_Fabulous_traits___Lonely_Man.mp3

Social source share

The old chestnut of young blood getting into the northern scene keeps popping up

But

There is no way in a million years that enough young people are going to take over a scene populated by middle aged people

the golden rule of..you dont get into what your mam and dad are into

still rules

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi Dave Baggies used to make em so no got those out my system. What do I base my Judgement on coolwise don't know really just feel it was/ is. Read the Catacombs threads to me that would have been cool to have been there at that time. Just good to get veiws on thread :thumbsup:

hi ya kimbo, I was at the cats as a regular and yes it was cool coz it was proper underground,you know in the days when your mates in the pub just didn't get it.lot of folk now just don't get what the scene is about and sadly never will but hey ho.As for dancing to much emphasise on doing the northern dance style (whatever that is ).Get oop north where folk dance in allsorts of weird and wonderful ways..they just do their own thing..now that is cool (children of the night).I can't stand these folk who chuck a load of talc all over the gaff then shuffle around on the dance floor totally out of time with the music...in short they can't dance in any way shape or form.Give me the folk who dance from the heart regardless of what their feet are doing.

all the best tezza

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

The old chestnut of young blood getting into the northern scene keeps popping up

But

There is no way in a million years that enough young people are going to take over a scene populated by middle aged people

still rules

spot on mate. however this is our fecking scene coz we started it and we're gonna finish it and I for one couldn't give a monkeys after i'm gone....when ya dead ya dead :thumbsup:biggrin.gif

tezza

Social source share

Guest maria

spot on mate. however this is our fecking scene coz we started it and we're gonna finish it and I for one couldn't give a monkeys after i'm gone....when ya dead ya dead :thumbsup:biggrin.gif

tezza

Why do you take this so seriously, I love my music, I also enjoy listening to the Duffy single, my three sons were bought up listening to northern soul, some they like, but it's drum and base, dance and club music they are into. By the way they don't listen to Duffy.

Just enjoy whatever music you are into, if some youngsters want to take it up, so what!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

But

still rules

We had a 50/50 split at Soul Revolution on Friday, which is normal for us. Maybe 40/60. We normally get a few teenagers along, last year there was a 17 year old who asked if it was ok if he could get in :thumbsup: See the gallery at www.soulrevolution.co.uk . It's just plain wrong what you're saying, man. There was a party of 12 girls along celebrating a 25th I believe on Friday, they had smiles on their faces all night checking out the dancers, then after a few beers tried their feet on the floor themselves. They stayed right till the end, told me how much they enjoyed it and didn't understand why there were not more nights like it in London, said that they had never been to a northern soul night before and didn't realise they went on in London at all and were excited to hear about the 100 Club, which they had never heard of and gave me their details and asked for me to let them know about what was going on in the future. This is not unusual. Sorry Darren, it's plain wrong what you are saying as this would not be happenning without the support of scene veterans showcasing the etiquette, the friendliness, the passion and the dancing to these folk. Age is irrelevent, it's about how you handle yourself. Cool fackers are cool fackers whether they are 20 or 60 years old. Keb's done more for pushing this music to a new audience than anyone else, and he's had at least 3 50th birthday's in the past 3 years.

What is true is that younger folk are not going to go to the crappy venues in the middle of nowhere with crappy promotions and crappy records played on crappy sound systems populated by a crowd of people looking to relive memories, why would they want to?

Mepaul50 said, "if you start changing things its not the same f.. scene then is it ? whats got to change ?? northern soul music is exactly what it is ` if you got to change the music it aint northern soul any more is it ??? ? and if the kids dont like it` then there aint much you can say or do you ether like it or you dont ,"

I'm really not sure this is the case at all. From what I understand, but I'm not a student of northern soul history because it's irrelevent to me, 'northern soul' has always been changing and evolving. That's what's given it it's longevity, surely? And if things need to change musically, as they are now because the crowds are changing, and yes they are in London, then the good DJs will realise this and use the chance to push new and exciting sounds, 'funky' sounds (not disco jazz funk that I believe a lot of northern soulies think of as funk, but propa late 60s funk and underground disco like Elipsis) seem to be the way to go around London at the moment. It's going to happen as newer, more open minded, funky young crowds start turning up at the good venues that are attractive to them. This doesn't mean classic sounds are ignored, in fact they are vital, but they need to be used along side other exciting tunes which replace the irrelevent sounds that are only any use at events that are promoted for folk who want to remember the past, revival nights. So again, no, way wrong in my opinion Mepaul50. Of course, the oldies brigade will be up in arms, and a lot of the newies brigade will ignore certain amazing banging oldies because they are too far up their own arse to rock the dance. But the venues that will be attrative to the newer faces, will be the ones with DJs who are looking to progress while at the same time working the dance floor, looking to keep things exciting, and who want to play the tunes on good sound systems, in cool venues, well promoted.

Fryer's Soul Spectrum in Scotland tonight. Try telling that lot up there there are not enough young people to make this thing work laugh.gif

Time changes things. It just does. Nothing stays the same for ever, not even northern soul.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Seems to me there are a lot of selfish folk that think they own the music.

If you work for an employer, you don't own the business!

If you buy a television, you don't own the company.

If you listen to soul music?

The music policy on the soul scene is totally different from when I first got into it (24 years ago)but for god sake, this is boring hearing how, why's and where northern soul can be applied.

Northern soul is a past fad and when mentioned nowadays it brings back memories of the commercial scene, that's fine cos thats where it started for me, and without listening to it in the first instance, I probably wouldn't have found other tunes that I took the time to hunt down.

It may get to the stage nowadays when it is thrust down our throats, but come on, can anybody really have the power to change it?

Every week we get a British release/re-issue of a top tune from ex Wigan DJ's and their ilk, how disappointing to hunt for that elusive tune for years, just for it to be released, sometimes in better quality, to Joe Public at a cheaper price. Then, and I know a few, young DJ's buy these legitimate releases and find they get mocked because they bought and wanted to play out something they liked and soul police say no!

Yes, granted the tunes that we like, mean a lot to us in many ways. They are still not our tunes, they are there for everyone to enjoy and share. If I want to listen to rare, I go to the places that play it and that satisfies my learning curb. In between times, the rest of the population can enjoy many a good night at commercial do's and make their choice from there, it IS their choice!!!!

If somebody is daft enough to part with money and think they can buy the feeling of emotion on the dancefloor, then let them, it IS their choice.

I will bet there was a buzz of excitement in the 70's from a lot people when Chuck Wood hit the charts, and I would bet that a small minority of soul police back then had something to say about it. If someone had thought about dance classes then, it would have happened. Nothing is sacred!

There is too much bullsh#t about a northern soul scene that doesn't really exist any more, it is just quality music that exists now that has with-held the passing of time. Too many genres, too much nonsense, too many martyrs and too much narrow-mindedness.

Whatever happened to letting folk enjoy themselves in whatever they do, instead they get burned at the stake before the firing pistol is loaded!

Lighten up, Francis :thumbsup:

H

Social source share

We had a 50/50 split at Soul Revolution on Friday, which is normal for us. Maybe 40/60. We normally get a few teenagers along, last year there was a 17 year old who asked if it was ok if he could get in :thumbsup: See the gallery at www.soulrevolution.co.uk . It's just plain wrong what you're saying, man. There was a party of 12 girls along celebrating a 25th I believe on Friday, they had smiles on their faces all night checking out the dancers, then after a few beers tried their feet on the floor themselves. They stayed right till the end, told me how much they enjoyed it and didn't understand why there were not more nights like it in London, said that they had never been to a northern soul night before and didn't realise they went on in London at all and were excited to hear about the 100 Club, which they had never heard of and gave me their details and asked for me to let them know about what was going on in the future. This is not unusual. Sorry Darren, it's plain wrong what you are saying as this would not be happenning without the support of scene veterans showcasing the etiquette, the friendliness, the passion and the dancing to these folk. Age is irrelevent, it's about how you handle yourself. Cool fackers are cool fackers whether they are 20 or 60 years old. Keb's done more for pushing this music to a new audience than anyone else, and he's had at least 3 50th birthday's in the past 3 years.

What is true is that younger folk are not going to go to the crappy venues in the middle of nowhere with crappy promotions and crappy records played on crappy sound systems populated by a crowd of people looking to relive memories, why would they want to?

Mepaul50 said, "if you start changing things its not the same f.. scene then is it ? whats got to change ?? northern soul music is exactly what it is ` if you got to change the music it aint northern soul any more is it ??? ? and if the kids dont like it` then there aint much you can say or do you ether like it or you dont ,"

I'm really not sure this is the case at all. From what I understand, but I'm not a student of northern soul history because it's irrelevent to me, 'northern soul' has always been changing and evolving. That's what's given it it's longevity, surely? And if things need to change musically, as they are now because the crowds are changing, and yes they are in London, then the good DJs will realise this and use the chance to push new and exciting sounds, 'funky' sounds (not disco jazz funk that I believe a lot of northern soulies think of as funk, but propa late 60s funk and underground disco like Elipsis) seem to be the way to go around London at the moment. It's going to happen as newer, more open minded, funky young crowds start turning up at the good venues that are attractive to them. This doesn't mean classic sounds are ignored, in fact they are vital, but they need to be used along side other exciting tunes which replace the irrelevent sounds that are only any use at events that are promoted for folk who want to remember the past, revival nights. So again, no, way wrong in my opinion Mepaul50. Of course, the oldies brigade will be up in arms, and a lot of the newies brigade will ignore certain amazing banging oldies because they are too far up their own arse to rock the dance. But the venues that will be attrative to the newer faces, will be the ones with DJs who are looking to progress while at the same time working the dance floor, looking to keep things exciting, and who want to play the tunes on good sound systems, in cool venues, well promoted.

Fryer's Soul Spectrum in Scotland tonight. Try telling that lot up there there are not enough young people to make this thing work laugh.gif

Time changes things. It just does. Nothing stays the same for ever, not even northern soul.

Amen

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!