" Get On Up : I Feel Like Being A ....... Tribute Act

Guest Malc Burton

I was reading our local free rag tonight , and upon seeing an advertismant for a nearby night spot / function venue , laughed my head off ......

Friday May 30th - James Brown - The Godfather Of Soul

£ 12.00 per person Includes buffet and resident disco

I knew it had to happen that someone would attempt a JB tribute act .......

The venue also have a Simply Red tribute act booked on Friday March 28th ......

The devil inside of got the better of me , and I rang the venue , and posed the following question ......

" Will they be doing a selection of Bobby Bland numbers ? "

They put the phone down on me :yes: .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Did it say whether he was performing with a live band or taking the karaoke route?

I'd pay 12 quid to see a live band, and I don't even like James Brown...

Social source share

Did it say whether he was performing with a live band or taking the karaoke route?

I'd pay 12 quid to see a live band, and I don't even like James Brown...

Knowing the size of the venue , it is unlikely for it to be a live band on the scale that would do justice - and replicate - JB's act , so I would assume it would be a small band with backing tapes ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Gah. I hate backing tapes. One of the stupidest things I've seen was Diana Ross pausing for a sax solo which magically appeared from thin air before she came back in with a rush of equally non-existent violins.

Like she can't afford to hire a few more musicians.

At least now I understand the phrase 'Meaningless sax and gratuitous violins'.

Social source share

Gah. I hate backing tapes. One of the stupidest things I've seen was Diana Ross pausing for a sax solo which magically appeared from thin air before she came back in with a rush of equally non-existent violins.

Like she can't afford to hire a few more musicians.

At least now I understand the phrase 'Meaningless sax and gratuitous violins'.

What narks me about the venue where this James Brown tribute act is on , is that they put - and keep putting - photographs of the REAL artists against the publicity for whatever tribute act they have booked - i.e. JB , Simply Red , The Drifters , Celine Dion , Elton John , Tina Turner , Rod Stewart etc. ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Most of that list would send me running off to somewhere else, but I agree, it's a little... erm... misrepresentational, to put it mildly. I was once playing with a Tina Turner 'tribute' singer, she was trying to do the whole thing (Full band, dancers, dry ice, lights, so naturally didn't get much work...), and one day we turned up at a gig in Birmingham to discover that we were billed as 'Tina Turner, Back on Tour!'.

Presumably all the patrons were aware that we weren't the real thing before we actually went on, either that or they were just too polite (Or maybe trollied) to point out that 'Tina' was a bit - well - white... :lol:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

what i would like to know is why would go and see Tribute acts well depends who they are but i wouldn't go and see any because it's not something i like.

I would go and see acts who might well have only a few original members cause that is hardly a tribute.

I have no problems seeing bands who just play music be it covers or original songs, just that i don't really like tribute acts and especially when you go and see the real thing (although arguements that price ie say £75 to see Tina Turner live and only £12 tribute act but if you had the money who would you go and see)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!