South Coast

Guest SteveC

Guest SteveC

In not trying to turn a promotional thread into a war zone I have opened this thread so as I can answer back some of the comments that others supposedly supporters of the event insisted on making personal.

I went to a do in the Gosport area a few years ago where you were playing an oldies set and so was everybody else there wasn't one record i didn't know but we still had a good nite.

Bit personal Tim but if it was in Gosport then it was circa 10-15 years ago when the whole object was to please the punters in a smalish venue - unless it was the Thorngate Ballrooms in which case I don't think the likes of Saus, Dave Rimmer, John Mills, Gavin Page, Lenny Dopson, Carl Willingham etc would have been playing Oldies sets so someone had too and like Russ said my musical taste was changing for the better then but even so I had the balls to bring the aforementioned names down to introduce a spark and freshness to a stale Southern scene.

Not everybody in the south is so out of touch as you think.

Agreed, thats why "soulies" that live in Bournemouth have stated they won't be going to The Opera House simply because of the DJ line up. I'm sure that the DJ line up will fill the floor but if you want to attract all soulies including the so called hardcore ones that travel the length and breadth of the country, have soul music in their blood, live that way of life and have contributed to the scene in many ways then all I'm saying is for an event of that size and magnitude a couple of big names should have been brought in to lure them in.

I hate it when people knock punters from the south.

Hates a strong word Tim. Frustrating is a good one - play Mac Staten down south and it clears the floor. Stomping Northern Soul at its best and coz "they aint heard it" before it clears it. Even after a couple of plays - unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!! Its like we're 20 years behind the rest of the country down here.

There's lots going on in the Bournemouth and surrounding areas that must say something about the scene here.

That doesn't mean to say that its the same DJ's playing the same tunes to the same people week in week out.

Yes the two guys that you mention are top djs but i think the promoter is not aware of them.

So if this South Coast promoter is not aware of those two names and others around the country are then where has he/she been. Surely to promote a big Northern Soul do then you must know who the biggest DJ's in the South are or is the advise given is that from the DJ's on a roster who who would be scared of losing their spot???????????

This is i believe is his second outing as a promoter i think a big name would have been the way forward but being a oldies orientated nite ? he has gone for local djs that he knows fills the floor for the type of people attending, a rare soul event in my opinion wouldn't attract as many people as a oldies nite down there.

You've hit the nail on the head Tim!!! Thats why its called Northern Soul. Dave Abbot and I insisted on a musical policy at the Race Course which was similar to Capitol Soul's - we would not budge from it and had very small numbers because the South Coasters seem so narrow minded. Still got big names down so as to give diversity and to show whats happening outside this area but no - to no avail. Real shame - In my eyes it aint never gonna happen coz with the exception of a few, Pete Wid, Simon Bridger, a handful from Brighton and Bournemouth they're content to hear Contours - Baby Hit & Run every weekend (brilliant record as it is).

Getting back to the mates djing for mates, its always been like that and still is on the oldies circuit and the rare soul scene imho.

Best

Tim

Come on Tim - you don't truly believe the most upfront and successful events advocate this policy.

I tend to agree with you in general Tim, but there is some middle ground which could have been found without putting the potential attendance at risk, if anything it would probably have enhanced it.

Steve's comments with regards to my personal status as a DJ are very kind indeed, but my original comments are made with no personal interest, other than to promote a healthy South Coast scene & to stop me having to travel hundreds of miles to see certain DJ's , altho' I do sometimes wonder why some DJ's on the South Coast appear to be out of favour in the area at the moment.

Yes would be nice to know why?? Is it because they don't run venues where the offer of DJing in return is missing??

BTW Tim with all due respect to Steve, I think he was in a slightly different place musically back then & has since successfully promoted a venue with a very upfront policy, not forgetting the hugely successful Abshott Alldayer, which was probably one of the biggest & best promotions the area had seen for a few years, which again had a diverse music policy & even included a Modern Room, which was heaving by all accounts.........along with Steves newly found love of all things 'disco' & I refer to his apperarance on the dancefloor at Chisoul I dont think his musical integrity should be in question here.

Thanks but I'll see you personally about the "different place" statement :lol:

Its difficult to put your point across Russ without people jumping to the conclusion that its sour grapes - bollox - Abshot all-dayer has been classed by some as the best do they've ever been to (and I have to thank the likes of Molly and Jason for the co-promotional work incidentally). Russ's legenday events at the same venue and The Colony club in Newbury which he single handedly promoted and sacrificed much over just shows that we've done it, got the t-shirt etc (also lost lots of money) and know whats involved. Dave, Russ and I have DJ'd at the likes of NCSC, The North East, Prestatyn, 100 club, Rome and other events abroad and a multitude of events around the country so there are no sour grapes believe you me - just pure frustration when a promoter has the tools to put on a good do in a fantastic venue that we'd really love to attend but know whats gonna be played.

Anyway that's it from me, apologies for going off on a tangent, lets get back to the point of the original post which is to bring this great venue to the attention of the masses.................once again......the best of luck......mmmmmmm Butch next time maybe .

Russ

In our dreams!!!!

I agree with a lot you say Russ, as for some of the djs mentioned a few of them have done spots at local events recently and Shay has done spots several times at our do at the Railway Club, unfourtunatly a lot of local promoters are wary of some of the so called name djs after what happened with Soulgirls Boureforsoul dos , where djs where booked months in advance only to let her down with shite excuses [ basically heard some unjustified rumours about the do and from then on didn't want to be associated with it, frightened it wouldn't do there cv any good ]

Best

Tim

Sorry Tim - but not unjustified and we really shouldn't get into that one now coz its done and dusted. Suffice to say I have never told anyone not to DJ anywhere I take that accusation very seriously.

good evening i belive no one has been over looked

this is the first one and all the djs helped steve out at other dos so this is a thank you

As for the line up may be a bigger name could have been brought in for this 1st one but i no the better known djs from the northern scene will start to be put on the rota for the next one

but for myself i will be at all the events as a dj. if you wish to see where i dj (not at mates do's) I'm on the scooter rallys for the sws and vfm up and down the country

any way hope to see you all there

No disrespect but this post says it all.

Really do wish the promoters the best of luck but to be billed as a "New Night" may be on the deceptive side when the only thing new about it is the venue. What do you class a new night then? This is the first time at this venue and the first time these dj's have all played together for this promoter .... whats not new?

Like I said New venue but not new music policy - same as virtually anywhere else on the south coast. Promoters DJing at other promoters events. No one from outside that circle being brought in.

I'll be in Burnley Friday and Wolverhampton Saturday along with a few others from the Southern Region. Perhaps that tells a story? I take it you weren't asked to DJ this one then?

Some things in my more adult Soul life are more important than DJing - one of them is continue your education and listen to stuff you aint heard b4 - Burnley does that for me - you should try it yourself sometime or is it a tad too far to travel????? Oh btw - no it doesn't make you a better person if you travel long distances to listen to passionate and committed DJ's play just a soulie with passion!!!!

Just wondered why "with it" DJ's from the south who are respected around the country such as Dave Abbot and Russ Vickers have been ignored at the expense of the pally (lets play records at each others venues) brigade. Did you go to Farnborough when Dave Abbot played there?

Oh let me see - what date was that - can you help with that Dave. Don't know if I was away, a family member was sick, I was in Burnley, I'd been asked to DJ somewhere else or I decided to stay in.

For God sake GET REAL!!! You've missed the point entirely.

Sorry but William Cummings and My proposal amongst other class stuff ain't gonna get played there or at any other Southern do until bigger names (or the likes of the 2 guys mentioned from the South) appear and promoters stop DJing at their own do's and vice versa. Whats happening is that punters are given a false impression of the real Rare Soul scene of today.

Like Russ stated most of the DJ's are nice people who I have respect for but I'm pretty sure deep inside they've thought the same. Lets not cocoon the South Coast into a Northern Soul fish bowl 20/30 years behind the current scene.

Regardless I hope its a success but have the distinct impression that musically it will appeal to the scooterist fraternity rather than the rare soul lovers - nothing against scooterists I hasten to add. Where has this been advertised as a rare soul night? Lets not start the old sccoterist re soulies arguement up again eh.

Lets not start the argument of Rare Soul V Northern Soul more like. You tell me what the difference is as for scooters I love them - cant beat those Arthur Francis thingy's (where's Carole when I need her)

Good luck and have a great night.

Rather than pouring cold water on a new event thats being promoted, perhaps what we should be doing is offering support. Use it or lose it as they say.

So you have selective reading then - I did wish good luck and meant no offence or disrespect to anyone but as a once punter/DJ/promoter on the South Coast surely I have an opinion.

Bird you beat me to it ......

Whilst I am the first person to admit that honest feed back is sorely needed on here I wonder what your motivation for posting your comments are?

Read above.

I have never met you to my knowledge so its nothing personal but I think posting an honest review of an event you have attended is a mile away from knocking something before it's even got off the ground.

Do you not think that was I without respect I'd have continued on that thread - No you don't know me. Don't believe you've ever attended Abshot, Thorngate, Racecourse, Colony, The Q either.

I believe that some more 'with it' Dj's have been booked for future dates but I fear they may not take place if this event isn't better supported.

It'll be supported by all across the board soulies when the those names come into the fray I assure you.

I don't really understand your opening comment and would be interested to know what your definition of a 'new event' was.

Read above

Friends helping each other out ...how disgraceful....shouldnt be allowed ....

No it shouldn't as long as you know exactly whats gonna be played and your happy to listen to the same stuff week in week out.

Oh well burnley and wolverhamptons loss is bournemouths gain.....

Take it you've not been to either then - you sit in your cess pit of same old same old and enjoy if thats what you want but don't ever tell me where and what I should be attending just because I'm a passionate soulie. I've cried more tears over the dance floor in the last 30+ years over the music than you could ever imagine so please don't try and belittle me in public when like you say "you don't even know me" not when all I'm trying to do is put my opinion across without disrespecting anyone which I'm afraid you failed to do yourself.

Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest SteveC

Holy Sh*t!!!! Just got back from work, thats right a normal job. !! Here Goes! Been doing the scooter rallies for nearly 25 years, and soul do`s for 15 ov them, and have now decided to put something back, my time, efort, and money. If I break even I will be happy!

Next! My choice of djs, Are mighty fine djs( and all have succesful nights of thier own) and have backed me up, Suported me, advised me, and have been 100 % reliable, Unlike two "Named "djs that have pulled out because they could get better money nearer home.

I might be doing the safe route for the 1st one at this new venue but why not?

If any body wants something a bit rarer/older/or its expensive so it must be good, ASK FOR A REQUEST and if availible would be played at an appropriate time (like they did in the old days).

Not sure where this thread is realy going? If your not interested in what happens along the southcoast dont visit it!

It will be you thats missing out.

Thank you bird for your suport....... Now Let me put my toys back in the pram.........................

As a promoter you've missed the point. As have most of your supporters. Do you not think that if myself and others didn't give a toss about what was happening along the South Coast we'd have made those comments. You say you just want to break even - Molly,Dave and myself lost lots of money because we stuck to what we believed in (eventually) and to give Southerners a chance to listen to something different. My point was quite simply why not draw the whole of the Soul crowd into a magnificent venue my having a top name DJ or 2 which would lure the hardcore soulies that travel the country and save them their petrol money!!

No disrespect to any one, no insults just a comment that stems from the fact that its obvious promoters down south are djing for each other.

Few name drops in there?

And valid names too - would love for you to elaborate on that tho.

Different do in a diferent area? And that??

Thanks for the good wishes.

They are sincere believe me.

Enjoy burnley and wolverhampton.

Always

Thanks Tim, Sounds about right, Ive had offers from lots of djs some Ive heard of, some I like, some I dont, Some just want to play the venue. But Im happy with what iv got, and why shouldnt I be..........................

Although difficult personal taste of DJ's in previous experience has to be eliminated. One such example was when we had Gavin Page on at Thorngate - although having been indotrinated at Chi Soul he'd probably be my cup of tea today :lol:

You cant honestly say that you wouldn't draw more punters in if you had a couple of names like Mick H and Kenny Burrell etc who would be able to play quality rare oldies like Packin' up, Eddie Parker, Mel Britt etc everyone knows em and nobody you have Djing at the event has those tunes.

Edited by SteveC
Social source share

Holy Sh*t!!!! Just got back from work, thats right a normal job. !! Here Goes! Been doing the scooter rallies for nearly 25 years, and soul do`s for 15 ov them, and have now decided to put something back, my time, efort, and money. If I break even I will be happy!

Next! My choice of djs, Are mighty fine djs( and all have succesful nights of thier own) and have backed me up, Suported me, advised me, and have been 100 % reliable, Unlike two "Named "djs that have pulled out because they could get better money nearer home.

I might be doing the safe route for the 1st one at this new venue but why not?

If any body wants something a bit rarer/older/or its expensive so it must be good, ASK FOR A REQUEST and if availible would be played at an appropriate time (like they did in the old days).

Not sure where this thread is realy going? If your not interested in what happens along the southcoast dont visit it!

It will be you thats missing out.

Thank you bird for your suport....... Now Let me put my toys back in the pram.........................

As a promoter you've missed the point. As have most of your supporters. Do you not think that if myself and others didn't give a toss about what was happening along the South Coast we'd have made those comments. You say you just want to break even - Molly,Dave and myself lost lots of money because we stuck to what we believed in (eventually) and to give Southerners a chance to listen to something different. My point was quite simply why not draw the whole of the Soul crowd into a magnificent venue my having a top name DJ or 2 which would lure the hardcore soulies that travel the country and save them their petrol money!!

No disrespect to any one, no insults just a comment that stems from the fact that its obvious promoters down south are djing for each other.

Few name drops in there?

And valid names too - would love for you to elaborate on that tho.

Different do in a diferent area? And that??

Thanks for the good wishes.

They are sincere believe me.

Enjoy burnley and wolverhampton.

Always

Thanks Tim, Sounds about right, Ive had offers from lots of djs some Ive heard of, some I like, some I dont, Some just want to play the venue. But Im happy with what iv got, and why shouldnt I be..........................

Although difficult personal taste of DJ's in previous experience has to be eliminated. One such example was when we had Gavin Page on at Thorngate - although having been indotrinated at Chi Soul he'd probably be my cup of tea today :lol:

You cant honestly say that you wouldn't draw more punters in if you had a couple of names like Mick H and Kenny Burrell etc who would be able to play quality rare oldies like Packin' up, Eddie Parker, Mel Britt etc everyone knows em and nobody you have Djing at the event has those tunes.

Ahemmmm :lol: ............Anyway's..........might see you all in Southampton Saturday night at the 'Crown' (Mrs Vickers to confirm, as I know she wants to go 'Silk') & we can solve the problems of the 'Soul World' over a couple of pints..........& have a right old laugh together........after all, our common denominator is 'Sweet Soul Music'. Altho' I did once have a Scooter..honest. Right, I'll go & find mi vest, not the one with the badges........the bullet proof one :):)laugh.gif .

shout.gif 'Do I Love You..........Indeed I do'.

Love, Peace & Soulfulness..........Russ

Soulies do it even betterer, or is that best or errrrrr anyway, what ever it, is we do it better than Scooterists ........ :D:lol::unsure: !.

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Take it you've not been to either then - you sit in your cess pit of same old same old and enjoy if thats what you want but don't ever tell me where and what I should be attending just because I'm a passionate soulie. I've cried more tears over the dance floor in the last 30+ years over the music than you could ever imagine so please don't try and belittle me in public when like you say "you don't even know me" not when all I'm trying to do is put my opinion across without disrespecting anyone which I'm afraid you failed to do yourself.

errr and you dont know me...I dont 'Sit in my cess pit' as you so nicely put it. So you too are being a little judgemental....

Last year i attended 59 soul nites/allniters 3 weekenders and 6 scooter rallys all over the country.

I support all manner of do's from rare soul to oldies nights. Variety is what keeps it going for me.

would you like to point out to me where in my post i told you where you should be attending as all i asked was why you saw fit to make destructive comments about a local event which you had no intention of attending.

I dont think this has been answered.

The question was not why you didnt want to go...free country and all that....but why you felt the need to sabotage someone elses efforts

And i dont think the 'good luck and have a good nite' token coment at the end covers things do you?

Social source share

errr and you dont know me...I dont 'Sit in my cess pit' as you so nicely put it. So you too are being a little judgemental....

Last year i attended 59 soul nites/allniters 3 weekenders and 6 scooter rallys all over the country.

I support all manner of do's from rare soul to oldies nights. Variety is what keeps it going for me.

would you like to point out to me where in my post i told you where you should be attending as all i asked was why you saw fit to make destructive comments about a local event which you had no intention of attending.

The question was not why you didnt want to go...free country and all that....but why you felt the need to sabotage someone elses efforts

And i dont think the 'good luck and have a good nite' token coment at the end covers things do you?

Dear Mr Spider Bloke.................dont wanna comment on anything else really other than I am absolutely positive that Steve was not & would not try to sabotage anyones promotion........I do however beleive that it was a fair comment with regards to choice of DJ's for the night, whilst Steve has vented his spleen, no way has he tried to sabotage anything & you might want to re - think your choice of words on that one.

Which Nighters do you attend BTW, on a serious note Im possibly looking at a mini bus or coach for the Power Station Nighter at the end of May in Gloucs if there was enough support in the area, anyway just wondered which nighters you attend regularly ?????.

Also, maybe we can have a beer at the 'Crown' Saturday, I think now its until 2am we'll hopefully pop along to support Bearsy & obviously the promotion. Im sure that in person you'll realise that Steve is just passionate in the extreme when it comes to soul music, we were travelling to Wigan from Fareham in 1978 when it took over 8 hours on the train & have a history of soul promotions on the South Coast that go back 15 years or more & I would just add, that these promotions were when most were having thier sabatical (politely put) & it wasnt trendy to be into NS & it meant you risked loosing your shirt to promote anything on the South Coast full stop, not like these day's when almost anyone can put a do on & fill it with handbaggers & make a buck :huh: .

Any way, please note, that there was absolutely no sabotage of anyones promotion intended in any way shape or form & that's for the record & you can quote me on it.

See you Saturday all being well, I'll be the 'wallflower' :lol: .

ATB Russ

Social source share

Whoops..........apologies...........didnt realise you were a Spider 'Woman', you've changed your avatar Helen, please forgive me.........we can still have a beer tho', or one of those fruity things with umbrellas if you prefer........

Speak soon

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Dear Mr Spider Bloke.................dont wanna comment on anything else really other than I am absolutely positive that Steve was not & would not try to sabotage anyones promotion........I do however beleive that it was a fair comment with regards to choice of DJ's for the night, whilst Steve has vented his spleen, no way has he tried to sabotage anything & you might want to re - think your choice of words on that one.

Which Nighters do you attend BTW, on a serious note Im possibly looking at a mini bus or coach for the Power Station Nighter at the end of May in Gloucs if there was enough support in the area, anyway just wondered which nighters you attend regularly ?????.

Also, maybe we can have a beer at the 'Crown' Saturday, I think now its until 2am we'll hopefully pop along to support Bearsy & obviously the promotion. Im sure that in person you'll realise that Steve is just passionate in the extreme when it comes to soul music, we were travelling to Wigan from Fareham in 1978 when it took over 8 hours on the train & have a history of soul promotions on the South Coast that go back 15 years or more & I would just add, that these promotions were when most were having thier sabatical (politely put) & it wasnt trendy to be into NS & it meant you risked loosing your shirt to promote anything on the South Coast full stop, not like these day's when almost anyone can put a do on & fill it with handbaggers & make a buck :huh: .

Any way, please note, that there was absolutely no sabotage of anyones promotion intended in any way shape or form & that's for the record & you can quote me on it.

See you Saturday all being well, I'll be the 'wallflower' :lol: .

ATB Russ

Like yourselves we too traveled to Wigan [ a little further than yourselves thou, and had to go second class by coach cuz we couldn't afford the train ] and we are also passionate about soul music. I will try to reply to Steve's post when Ive got a little longer to read it thorough. as for the records mentioned [ rare soul oldies ] they have been played at our venues and others around the south. [not boots ] we also play a few underplayed rare soul items eg Rufus Lumley / Mineapolis Minnisota. It ant as bad in the south as people might think.

Best

Tim

Social source share

Guest eggman

I read Steve's comments as trying torun down a night that hasn't even been on yet and I aslso think the token have a good nite hardly lets it off.Oh and yes I have been to Burnley and Wolverhampton on more than one occassion as it seems to matter where you have been.

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Whoops..........apologies...........didnt realise you were a Spider 'Woman', you've changed your avatar Helen, please forgive me.........we can still have a beer tho', or one of those fruity things with umbrellas if you prefer........

Speak soon

Russ

No apologies needed Russ....I don't take offence.....I still don't see the motivation in running something down on a public forum if you aint going and aint involved and dont have an axe to grind with the promoters but i think ive exhausted my comments on the subject.

I am at Wilton on Friday so hopefullt will make it to southampton on sat if i can still walk.

I'm not even from the southcoast so for me to go on Sat will still require a 6 hour round trip.

See ya soon i'll bye u a beer n mine's a lemonaid.....I dont drink!!!

See ya there or crossfire on sunday or at the next 100 club or Middleton.......

Helen

XXXX

Social source share

Some of the points you had to make in your original post may carry some credence, but they read incredibly judgemental and dripping with arrogance.

Yes, my replies to you may not have been delivered in the most adult fashion, but I was reacting to your post, that I found completely un-necessary, and so I retaliated. Your intention may not have been to pour scorn on an event, but that is exactly how it reads to me and obviously a few others. I'll be honest with you - when I read your post initially I really did think it sounded like sour grapes that you weren't there DJ'ing. I accept from your post that this may not be the case but........ that was my interpretation of your words.

Personally, I read some of your comments above in the same manner - arrogant and at times completely condescending. Some of them also highlight to me that you have also failed to read posts correctly as you see fit to accuse others.

Now, in your own words - this is me putting 'my opinion across without disrespecting anyone which I'm afraid you failed to do yourself'

SOS - I wish you luck with this event - onwards and upwards :cheese1:

Social source share

I read Steve's comments as trying torun down a night that hasn't even been on yet and I aslso think the token have a good nite hardly lets it off.Oh and yes I have been to Burnley and Wolverhampton on more than one occassion as it seems to matter where you have been.

Well, at the risk of repeating myself, as I know Steve is still at work, you can read into it what the f**k ya like mate, Im telling you uncategorically there was absolutlely no malice intended, if you wanna keep harping on about it, its up to you fella, but Im not sure how plain I can make this............& yes, it does matter where you go & please dont make me explain why that might be will you.

Russ

Social source share

As an outsider I just don't understand this thread at all. The South Coast are 20 years behind because they don't book dj's who can play Mel Britt,Damon Fox and Eddie Parker which are all 30 years old!!!!

Then Burnley is mentioned which is a very good night BUT features plenty of oldies,for example Ian's spot,

FRANK FOSTER--HARLEM RUMBLE--TRI-ODE

ARTHUR FREEMAN--YOU GOT ME UP TIGHT--JUMBO

TOMMY DODSON III--COOPERATE--MAIN-SOUND

ROSE BATTISTE--I CAN,T LEAVE YOU---THELMA

EDDIE HILL--YOU GOT THE BEST OF ME--THELMA

BILLY KENNEDY--SWEET THINGS--THELMA

CAROL ANDERSON--I,M NOT WORRIED--WHIP

ROY WRIGHT--HOOK LINE & SINKER--MICA

LARRY WILLIAMS-YOU ASK FOR ONE GOOD REASON--OKEH

CHARLES FARREN--YOU,VE CHANGED MY WHOLE LIFE AROUND--HAWK

INSPIRATIONS--YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND--MIDAS

THE NEW WANDERERS--THIS MAN IN LOVE--READY

THE BLUE JAYS-- (IT DEPENDS ON THE ) POINT OF VIEW--JAY

DUSTY WILSON--CANT DO WITHOUT YOU--BRONSE

JUDY CLAY--DO YOU THINK THATS RIGHT--EMBER

KNIGHTS--I,VE GOT THE FEELING--USA

MOMENTS--YOU SAID--DEEP 001

PATIENCE VALENTINE--IF YOU DONT COME--SAR

HONEY & THE BEES--DYNAMITE EXPLODED--ARCTIC

FRANKIE BEVERLY & THE BUTLERS--BECAUSE OF MY HEART--FAIRMOUNT

LILLIE FIELDS--CHANGES--UNISSUED PIED PIPER

THE HONEY BEES--LETS GET BACK TOGETHER--GARRISON

MATT LUCAS--BABY YOU BETTER GO GO --KAREN

MONIQUE--IF YOU LOVE ME ( SHOW ME )--MAURCI

RAY POLLARD--THIS TIME--SHRINE

THE CAPITALS--I CANT DENY THAT I LOVE YOU--OMEN.

Great records,many of which I'd love but Ian himself will tell you they're mainly oldies.

So what is this subtle difference that Steve C is getting so exercised about.

Very confusing [and difficult to read]

ROD

Social source share

Some of the points you had to make in your original post may carry some credence, but they read incredibly judgemental and dripping with arrogance.

Yes, my replies to you may not have been delivered in the most adult fashion, but I was reacting to your post, that I found completely un-necessary, and so I retaliated. Your intention may not have been to pour scorn on an event, but that is exactly how it reads to me and obviously a few others. I'll be honest with you - when I read your post initially I really did think it sounded like sour grapes that you weren't there DJ'ing. I accept from your post that this may not be the case but........ that was my interpretation of your words.

Personally, I read some of your comments above in the same manner - arrogant and at times completely condescending. Some of them also highlight to me that you have also failed to read posts correctly as you see fit to accuse others.

Now, in your own words - this is me putting 'my opinion across without disrespecting anyone which I'm afraid you failed to do yourself'

SOS - I wish you luck with this event - onwards and upwards :lol:

As mentioned above Steve's at work, other wise he would defend himself, he's big enough & ugly enough, but Im sure he wont mind me saying that he would be the first to admit that he wouldnt be the right DJ for an event of this kind, so I think that ones sorted. Steve's a very passionate guy & loves his music, he's prepared to go the extra yard every time for what he considers to be right...................hence the post, rightly or wrongly he felt the other thread had become a bit personal & did not want to detract from promoting the event in that thread, so started this.

What he's put into the South Coast Soul Scene over the years has gone far beyond the call of duty & we both care very much about the local scene, unfortunately due to some of the points covered in both posts, we tend to go outside of the area for our soul fix's recently, as the local scene tends to be on the whole a little insular, thats not to say that any event isnt worth while for those promoting, attending or DJing at the events, it would however be fantastic if we could have a few different faces on the rostas & I say this from purely a selfish point of view, as Im one of the sad buggers that will still travel to hear a certain DJ or to attend a certain venue, specifically for the music policy, it isnt just about going out, it has to be right for us personally.

Anyway, hopefully if the plan comes together, we'll see a lot of you at the 'Crown' Saturday & we can laugh some of this off, some times you cant put into words in a thread your true feelings about things & when your passionate about something you can sometimes, put things over in an over zealous way, Im sure that Steve will stick to his guns over the main points he's discussed, but its just that, discussion...............I know he put his heart & soul as well as some serious cash, along with Molly & Dave Abbott into many years of promotions & we all know how much of a labour of love it can be, to try & put the South Coast on the soul map, so to speak, they could have gone down the oldies only route & made some serious cash, but they didnt, they put there money where their heart was & sometimes I think Steve thinks when he sees 'oldies' only do's down here, 'Why the hell did I bother'.........this last bit is just my interpretation of course.

At the end of the day.............................it gets dark :lol: , .................right now can we play soul music & get smashed please.

Im right bored of this now sleep3.gif , so can we kiss & make up & agree to disagree if thats what it takes :cheese1: .

Good luck to everyone with everything..........forever Amen...........& hopefully see ya Saturday for a wet & some soul music.

Russ

Social source share

As mentioned above Steve's at work, other wise he would defend himself, he's big enough & ugly enough, but Im sure he wont mind me saying that he would be the first to admit that he wouldnt be the right DJ for an event of this kind, so I think that ones sorted. Steve's a very passionate guy & loves his music, he's prepared to go the extra yard every time for what he considers to be right...................hence the post, rightly or wrongly he felt the other thread had become a bit personal & did not want to detract from promoting the event in that thread, so started this.

What he's put into the South Coast Soul Scene over the years has gone far beyond the call of duty & we both care very much about the local scene, unfortunately due to some of the points covered in both posts, we tend to go outside of the area for our soul fix's recently, as the local scene tends to be on the whole a little insular, thats not to say that any event isnt worth while for those promoting, attending or DJing at the events, it would however be fantastic if we could have a few different faces on the rostas & I say this from purely a selfish point of view, as Im one of the sad buggers that will still travel to hear a certain DJ or to attend a certain venue, specifically for the music policy, it isnt just about going out, it has to be right for us personally.

Anyway, hopefully if the plan comes together, we'll see a lot of you at the 'Crown' Saturday & we can laugh some of this off, some times you cant put into words in a thread your true feelings about things & when your passionate about something you can sometimes, put things over in an over zealous way, Im sure that Steve will stick to his guns over the main points he's discussed, but its just that, discussion...............I know he put his heart & soul as well as some serious cash, along with Molly & Dave Abbott into many years of promotions & we all know how much of a labour of love it can be, to try & put the South Coast on the soul map, so to speak, they could have gone down the oldies only route & made some serious cash, but they didnt, they put there money where their heart was & sometimes I think Steve thinks when he sees 'oldies' only do's down here, 'Why the hell did I bother'.........this last bit is just my interpretation of course.

At the end of the day.............................it gets dark :lol: , .................right now can we play soul music & get smashed please.

Im right bored of this now sleep3.gif , so can we kiss & make up & agree to disagree if thats what it takes :cheese1: .

Good luck to everyone with everything..........forever Amen...........& hopefully see ya Saturday for a wet & some soul music.

Russ

Social source share

Im right bored of this now sleep3.gif , so can we kiss & make up & agree to disagree if thats what it takes .

Russ

Here Here lol i not getting involved cos i will be at opera house and the crown. See ya there Russ :cheese1:

Social source share

Guest chilly

Russ

will be good to see you at the Crown as its mine and Alfies second date down there :lol:

Social source share

As an outsider I just don't understand this thread at all. The South Coast are 20 years behind because they don't book dj's who can play Mel Britt,Damon Fox and Eddie Parker which are all 30 years old!!!!

Then Burnley is mentioned which is a very good night BUT features plenty of oldies,for example Ian's spot,

Great records,many of which I'd love but Ian himself will tell you they're mainly oldies.

ROD

VICKERS!! I told you it was 1976!! :cheese1:wink.gif

You suvverners eh? You do makes I larf! :lol:

Social source share

VICKERS!! I told you it was 1976!! :lol:wink.gif

You suvverners eh? You do makes I larf! :D

Just been talking about you mate to Rod............how scary is that.............I dont know how the f*** I get myself involved in these things :cheese1:rolleyes.gif:lol: ...........your right mate........its freaking 1976 ahhhhhhhhgggggggggghhhhhhhh :lol: .

When you over again mate, saw Fergie at Burnley BTW.

atb Russ

Social source share

Im right bored of this now :lol: , so can we kiss & make up & agree to disagree if thats what it takes :lol: .

Russ

Russ,

I just want to add my two penneth to back up what you've said about Steve's passion for the music and the length's he's willing to go to.

We asked Steve to come and do his stuff in 2005 at our initial All-Dayer in York and as it was for charity he had to pay his way up + pay for a hotel. He did that gladly and helped us to raise a lot of money that day and I'm pleased to say that he's accepted our invitation to come back and play at our 2nd dayer in August. That's a long way to travel just to play a set at a charity do but we at YKSoul are extremely grateful he did and is doing again soon.

Steve B

Social source share

Just like to put my two penn'th in about this thread.

I don't like to comment on these arguments normally, as I do not get around as much as I should(She won't let me out will she Steve!), but looking at the flyer for the venue it does say Northern Soul, and it does also mention the main, early, (i.e. pre 1981 venues), and therefore does not indicate a cutting edge "rare soul", "modern soul", "tent music" scene. If I were to attend, I would expect old style northen(including Mecca type '70s), and not a night of disco , slow funk, rock & roll, or feckin' beat ballads for that matter.

Why not split the whole scene into the 27 factions it appears to be nowadays and go into your own little underground cults..... or maybe learn to live together.

Or even just go to the events that appeal to your musical taste & let the others do the same.

Paul

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Right you lot :lol:

now listen to me :D

I aint travelling all the way down from deepest Kent just so i can watch a load of west country folk swinging handbags and if i see one fooking handbag on the dance floor when im djn there will be trouble :lol: (dont even think about it :yes: )

Steve it would be great to see you there with Russ and no the music probably wont be up your street but it will be a bloody good night though :lol:

too much cider fooks the brain, my dad was right :lol:

lets all have a group hug and sing cum by r, all together now :lol:

Beers are on Steve :lol:

Social source share

Guest Simon

I aint travelling all the way down from deepest Kent just so i can watch a load of west country folk swinging handbags and if i see one fooking handbag on the dance floor when im djn there will be trouble :thumbsup: (dont even think about it :lol: )

Didn't know you were djing at this Bearsy, doesn't have your name down on the calendar (We are talking about the Opera House gig, yeh)?

If we are let's try & put a positive spin on it, it looks like a phenomonal venue, i agree with Steve & Russ it would up the profile & tempt more people like myself to attend if there were some bigger guns playing & we could be confident it wouldn't just be a whole evening of fairly obvious, overplayed stuff etc.

Saying that i djayed with Chris Thorley the other day & although he played nothing ground breaking imo he certainly does know how to put a set together & for me understood the crowd & got them up dancing more than all the other djs, myself included.

Moldie, Gary & Annie Todd, all good djs & all know how to work a dancefloor but again imo don't play anything too adventerous, now how about the other djs playing Dave Chown, Chilli and Garlic , don't know anything about them, what do they play, are they any good etc?

Any chance of a bit of background, 5 tunes they're each likely to play etc, they're may be a hidden gem in there, they may have some big guns, who knows, could swing the balance & make the line up more attractive, who knows?

Simon

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Didn't know you were djing at this Bearsy, doesn't have your name down on the calendar (We are talking about the Opera House gig, yeh)?

If we are let's try & put a positive spin on it, it looks like a phenomonal venue, i agree with Steve & Russ it would up the profile & tempt more people like myself to attend if there were some bigger guns playing & we could be confident it wouldn't just be a whole evening of fairly obvious, overplayed stuff etc.

Saying that i djayed with Chris Thorley the other day & although he played nothing ground breaking imo he certainly does know how to put a set together & for me understood the crowd & got them up dancing more than all the other djs, myself included.

Moldie, Gary & Annie Todd, all good djs & all know how to work a dancefloor but again imo don't play anything too adventerous, now how about the other djs playing Dave Chown, Chilli and Garlic , don't know anything about them, what do they play, are they any good etc?

Any chance of a bit of background, 5 tunes they're each likely to play etc, they're may be a hidden gem in there, they may have some big guns, who knows, could swing the balance & make the line up more attractive, who knows?

Simon

I think that 'Chilli & Garlic may need some Parsley & Yougurt to calm 'em down a bit..lol......as an old Poole lad who craved for a local scene in the 70's, making numerous trips to Wigan, Yate, Bedford, St Ives, Peterborough, Newbury, Gloucester, Redditch & numerous other soul nites just to get a 'fix'...soul nites were very limited in B'mth & Poole....Oakdale boys club, Gas Board Social Club or Sneaky Petes...not alot going on at all.....& to see you all bickering like a bunch of schoolgirls...lol...you've got it made over there, within a 50 mile radius I suspect that that you could find numerous venues to go to & further a field you can't go wrong!.....you need to come to our venues, chill out & enjoy Rare/Northern Soul, but above all meet some the best soulies in the world....Lee Garnett from Western Australia drove six hours to Perth to catch a plane which took 5 hours to get to Brisbane & drove another hour just to come to our 2nd Anniversay (2006)....I challange you...save your pennies & come to Perth WA in 2008 for our National....you will not be dissapointed....so stop whinging like a bunch of Poms...you're giving us all a bad name.

KTF

Baz

Social source share

Guest Simon

Lee Garnett from Western Australia drove six hours to Perth to catch a plane which took 5 hours to get to Brisbane & drove another hour just to come to our 2nd Anniversay (2006)....I challange you...save your pennies & come to Perth WA in 2008 for our National....you will not be dissapointed....so stop whinging like a bunch of Poms...you're giving us all a bad name.

KTF

Baz

Hi Baz,

I know Lee from the KTF days, used to have a right laugh with him, Pete Smith & all the other loonies that used to be on that site.

He travelled down from a fair old distance to play at a KTF Allldayer in Brighton many moons ago, great guy, please send him my regards.

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest SteveC

May seem like I've hit and run but I assure you like others I too have a proper job. Will reply in full tonight all being well. Yes I'll be going to the Crown on Saturday to support Alfie and Bearsy. As for the beers being on Steve........is Mr Lyons going to be there Bearsy??????????

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Hi Baz,

I know Lee from the KTF days, used to have a right laugh with him, Pete Smith & all the other loonies that used to be on that site.

He travelled down from a fair old distance to play at a KTF Allldayer in Brighton many moons ago, great guy, please send him my regards.

Simon :thumbsup:

Hi Simon, I will mate, spoke to him the other night, his girlfriend is Holly who is originally from Ferndown.

KTF

Baz

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Simon

Excellent post IMO

And NO Bearsy aint DJin at the opera house as far as i know.

Shame tho as he does have some little Gems in that box of his and could defo rise to the occasion.....If he can stay standing and doesnt miss his set by half an hour n leave mischief to fill in for him that is........ :rolleyes:

The potential for this venue is fantastic and i think it needs to be supported so it can get off the ground.

I may be wrong but i think steve g is DJin at the next one in May.

Helen

XXX

Social source share

Bit personal Tim but if it was in Gosport then it was circa 10-15 years ago when the whole object was to please the punters in a smalish venue - unless it was the Thorngate Ballrooms in which case I don't think the likes of Saus, Dave Rimmer, John Mills, Gavin Page, Lenny Dopson, Carl Willingham etc would have been playing Oldies sets so someone had too and like Russ said my musical taste was changing for the better then but even so I had the balls to bring the aforementioned names down to introduce a spark and freshness to a stale Southern scene.

You certainly did book me for Gosport, and it turned out to be the same night that The Dells were on at Trentham Gardens :rolleyes: Ah well, never mind, we had a great time both at the venue, and afterwards.

Just to add my twopenn'orth. Shaun booked me to DJ at the Opera House in September (and the booking was confirmed in Ferbruary), so whilst I understand what you are saying Steve, and would agree with you to some extent, give the guys a bit of slack. As you rightly state, both Burnley and Wolverhampton are on that weekend. How many hardcore people would you expect to travel down to Bournemouth even if they did have a list of big names ? I realise I speak as someone who travels less than half the distance you do to virtually any venue, but it would have to be a bloody good line up to get me to travel to Bournemouth when Wolverhampton is five miles away.

So perhaps in a congested diary it is the right policy to use DJs who are known locally to get the venue up and running, with bodies through the door and an atmosphere, then start to introduce a few more well known DJs. It really does look like a cracking venue, and I'd love to see it rammed in September, because it's much more fun clearing a full dancefloor than it is when there's nobody there (THAT'S A JOKE BY THE WAY)

If you and Russ don't get there before September. come when I'm DJing and you can buy me a pint (Cos I'm a Northerner and those Suvvern beer prices give me heart palpitations laugh.gif )

One thing I will say, is calm down, it's not worth losing any sleep over (Although Suvvern beer prices are). I'll see you at Wolves if I don't see you over Easter.

Cheers

Social source share

Right you lot :lol:

now listen to me :lol:

I aint travelling all the way down from deepest Kent just so i can watch a load of west country folk swinging handbags and if i see one fooking handbag on the dance floor when im djn there will be trouble :lol: (dont even think about it :lol: )

Steve it would be great to see you there with Russ and no the music probably wont be up your street but it will be a bloody good night though :lol:

too much cider fooks the brain, my dad was right :(

lets all have a group hug and sing cum by r, all together now :unsure:

Beers are on Steve thumbup.gif

come on everyone join in CUM BY R ..........

post-7942-1206029461.gif

Social source share

You certainly did book me for Gosport, and it turned out to be the same night that The Dells were on at Trentham Gardens :( Ah well, never mind, we had a great time both at the venue, and afterwards.

Just to add my twopenn'orth. Shaun booked me to DJ at the Opera House in September (and the booking was confirmed in Ferbruary), so whilst I understand what you are saying Steve, and would agree with you to some extent, give the guys a bit of slack. As you rightly state, both Burnley and Wolverhampton are on that weekend. How many hardcore people would you expect to travel down to Bournemouth even if they did have a list of big names ? I realise I speak as someone who travels less than half the distance you do to virtually any venue, but it would have to be a bloody good line up to get me to travel to Bournemouth when Wolverhampton is five miles away.

So perhaps in a congested diary it is the right policy to use DJs who are known locally to get the venue up and running, with bodies through the door and an atmosphere, then start to introduce a few more well known DJs. It really does look like a cracking venue, and I'd love to see it rammed in September, because it's much more fun clearing a full dancefloor than it is when there's nobody there (THAT'S A JOKE BY THE WAY)

If you and Russ don't get there before September. come when I'm DJing and you can buy me a pint (Cos I'm a Northerner and those Suvvern beer prices give me heart palpitations laugh.gif )

One thing I will say, is calm down, it's not worth losing any sleep over (Although Suvvern beer prices are). I'll see you at Wolves if I don't see you over Easter.

Cheers

:lol::lol::lol::unsure:

Russ

Social source share

You certainly did book me for Gosport, and it turned out to be the same night that The Dells were on at Trentham Gardens :unsure: Ah well, never mind, we had a great time both at the venue, and afterwards.

If you and Russ don't get there before September. come when I'm DJing and you can buy me a pint (Cos I'm a Northerner and those Suvvern beer prices give me heart palpitations :( )

Cheers

But you only accepted the Spetember date so you wouldn't have to bring Margie for a night out with the girls at my 50th at Bedford Ath laugh.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

May seem like I've hit and run but I assure you like others I too have a proper job. Will reply in full tonight all being well. Yes I'll be going to the Crown on Saturday to support Alfie and Bearsy. As for the beers being on Steve........is Mr Lyons going to be there Bearsy??????????

Mr Lyons laugh.gif be great to catch up with you Steve :lol:

see you all Saturday :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Excellent post IMO

And NO Bearsy aint DJin at the opera house as far as i know.

Shame tho as he does have some little Gems in that box of his and could defo rise to the occasion.....If he can stay standing and doesnt miss his set by half an hour n leave mischief to fill in for him that is........ :lol:

The potential for this venue is fantastic and i think it needs to be supported so it can get off the ground.

I may be wrong but i think steve g is DJin at the next one in May.

Helen

XXX

No i am not DJn at The Opera house on the 29th but plan to make the journey down cos the venue looks to good to miss but i am planned to play there sometime in the distant future as i was far to busy this year and they had to offer my bookings to the likes of Butch, Mr Rimmer and Steve G to try and fill the void :P

And no i wasnt late for my set i was told the wrong times :lol: and being best part pissed didnt help wicked.gif

Social source share

Guest SteveC

I'm so sorry for tardy reply but what with a hectic work schedule, sickness (was really bad folks) and attempting to sweat out the sickness at Soul Rev this has been the earliest opportunity for me to reply unhurriedly.

Firstly I'd like to clarify that I in no way intended to sabotage or incur malice towards Shauns new promotion. Some of you will think otherwise but I will hopefully attend The Opera House to show my support in the future should I have nothing booked on those respective nights. I wouldn't miss attending the venue that blew me away when I initially saw it.

I may have been a little aggressive and terse initially but only through frustration of not having a progressive and uptempo 60's policy to match that terrific venue. The frustration is also borne through why it is Burnley is able to be extremely popular and command healthy respect and attendances whilst down South the same musical policy would (has) fall/en flat on its face. What is the difference between us down here and them up there?????? Puzzles me!!

I thank all the kind words from the diplomatic posters and totally concur with Mr Rimmers eloquent post.

Bearsy you've got to understand that Southampton isn't in the West Country :thumbsup: Its on the South Coast - leave that cider stuff behind in Bournemouth m8 :thumbup:

In addition to all this crap (which I am admittedly responsible for) I've received two hate e-mails from a non-entity who's not even on the forum. Really can't be arsed with non-soulies who impose themselves on others and rile the majority of our beloved scene. Probably reading this now but I won't be rising to your childish bait and won't reply to you. I kindly ask you cease sending me e-mails. You won't but at least it'll entertain me.

In conclusion, I'm sorry if I've upset anyone. I'm pretty sure that small fry like me would never sway your attendance figures Shaun - not that I would ever want to BUT I still have an opinion based on your initial line up although I probably shouldn't have been so hasty having not known the details of line ups for future events and your efforts to provide bigger names for your inaugaral event. Apologies.

Some will want to carry this on - their perogative!! Debate is healthy - character assassinations aren't.

Hope The Crown is hoofing - I'm pretty ill still but will make a decision as to attending within the next hour or two - break a leg Bearsy.

Edited by SteveC
Social source share

Guest SteveC

ROD

Just one thing more. Rod I agree with you entirely but my point is that down here imho that set would be considered very upfront and rare to most - MOST I hasten to add. Tim, Pete, Russ, Dave, Simon B and a few others would be more familiar. Take Charles Farren - when I used to play it at South Coast events the floor was not favourable towards it (maybe what I played either side of it :thumbsup:)

Can see your point tho Rod.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!