Kent's Proposed Popcorn Cd

OK as we know SSers have the best taste going. Let's have your suggestions for an out & out Popcorn CD but black music, predominantly soulful and ideally from labels we have contacts with. Though don't worry if you're not sure; that's really my job.

So far for starters we have had volunteered:

Mack Vance Down By The Waterhole ??

Love is a nightmare - Johnny Darrow (sue)

Your heart wasn't in it - Chuck Collins (dot)

Nothing without your love - Johnny Barnes (Jaba)

Pretty little girl - George Smith (laurie)

Oh what a feeling - Jimmy Ricks Festival?

The tingle - Jackie Weaver ??

And obviously nothing from the 3 New Breed CDs we've already put out, though odd tracks from other Kent or Ace CDs would be OK if it's presenting them in this context and particularly if they've been out for some time already.

Thanks in advance

Ady

Social source share

• Replies 118
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest andrew bin

OK as we know SSers have the best taste going. Let's have your suggestions for an out & out Popcorn CD but black music, predominantly soulful and ideally from labels we have contacts with. Though don't worry if you're not sure; that's really my job.

And obviously nothing from the 3 New Breed CDs we've already put out, though odd tracks from other Kent or Ace CDs would be OK if it's presenting them in this context and particularly if they've been out for some time already.

Thanks in advance

Ady

it's a sweet world Gloria Grey (i absolutely love it)

got to be at some Johnny Nash on there :unsure: (or even a cd full of johnny nash stuff)

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I like that record with the typewriter clicking throughout. Forgot what it's called. "Sales Pitch", that's it. Forgot who it's by. Never mind, ignore this.

There are a couple of typewriter songs. How about a typewriter song themed CD Ady?

Rather liked that Hanging Tree one that Alan Handscombe used to play. And LB Wilson Don't (?) is popcorn I'd guess? :unsure: Dean Frickin' Barlow, can give that a miss eh?

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

There are a couple of typewriter songs. How about a typewriter song themed CD Ady?

Rather liked that Hanging Tree one that Alan Handscombe used to play. And LB Wilson Don't (?) is popcorn I'd guess? :unsure: Dean Frickin' Barlow, can give that a miss eh?

Ahh the 'hanging tree' record

Bobby Scott - I gotta run now - mercury.

I first heard this from a tape swap, took quite a while to get hold of. It was one of my Hideaway plays in the late 90's, always went down well with the dancers.

Social source share

Perhaps Pete S has some typewriter suggestions, though I think he probably means cash register. Sorry for trying to earn a living out of the music business; whatever next!

Social source share

Thanks in advance

Ady

Sam Fletcher and Al Mc Arthur on two guitars..?

Mal

Social source share

The tingle - Jackie Weaver ??obviously nothing from the 3 New Breed CDs we've already put out, though odd tracks from other Kent or Ace CDs would be OK if it's presenting them in this context and particularly if they've been out for some time already.

Thanks in advance

Ady

"Jerry Jackson-It's rough out there"/"I'm gonna paint you a picture" can't get this anywhere!

Action label compilations(like the Sue label CDs)

Keeping this post Positive, just want to say Thank-you! for making so many QUALITY

releases availiable ,from "For Dancers Only" onwards!!!!

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Thanks Geoff, it's nice to know you're still with us and don't just turn up at Cleethorpes once a year with a caravan of ladeez.

Once we've had a few more I'll get the list sorted and then Linda can add a couple of hundred.

No disrespect Ady,You know I love ya to bits.... but in my humble opinion, any popcorn tunes that are both black and soulful are already known pretty much as mid tempo Northern soul & beat ballads. ie.

YOUR OLD STANDBY

DOWN AND OUT

IN A DAY OR TWO

QUICKSAND

I'VE HAD IT

EMPEROR OF MY BABYS HEART

etc...etc..etc

I can sugest...

teen...AL ALBERTS-BEFORE TOMORROW IS YESTERDAY, PETER TROY-VERDICT OF LOVE

R&B....CHANCE HALLIDAY-BURY ME DEEP...BILL JOHNSON-TRAVELLING STRANGER...CLAIR SISTERS-COOL COOL COOL...DEMONS-GOING TO THE DANCE

Monster...TONY & THE MONSTROSITIES-IGORS PARTY

pop...BLACKWELLS-LOVE OR MONEY...RAY RUSH-SO WHAT...TONI CAROL-MOTHER...CAROL CONNORS-I WANNA KNOW

crooners...ROMAN REED-HARLEM HOCTURNE..ALAN DALE-CONQUERED..PETER JAMES-FEELINGS..PETER WYNN-I'M A FOOL TO WANT YOU..DEBONAIRS-GOING TO TOWN...JERRY MASON-YOU ARE LONELY, DON CRAWFORD - YOURE GONE

Instrumentals...NINO RIENZI-PERSIAN KING...DON & THE NOCTURNES-SUMMERTIME

Mid tempo/ballads JAMES MOORE-A MAN SHOULD NEVER CRY..BRUCE CLOUD-LET ME COME BACK HOME..

all are by artists who's colour is unknown and unimportant to me, and to be honest duck, I would be the first to admit that most of the stuff in my collection would be totally unacceptable to soulful ears.

but if you want anything...It's yours :thumbup:

XX Linda

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Ahh the 'hanging tree' record

Bobby Scott - I gotta run now - mercury.

I first heard this from a tape swap, took quite a while to get hold of. It was one of my Hideaway plays in the late 90's, always went down well with the dancers.

Thats the one, did it appear on a Hideaway tape some time? Theres a sort of similar one with the chorus Run Boy Run that I quite liked, not sure of the label though. Any ideas? Its about someone making a break from the chain gang and being chased by the sherriff with his bloodhounds. All good clean fun. Got a really good bass line even if the lyrics are perhaps a little twee :thumbup:

Social source share

Perhaps Pete S has some typewriter suggestions, though I think he probably means cash register. Sorry for trying to earn a living out of the music business; whatever next!

Ady - talk about misunderstanding a post! The record is called Sales Pitch, it's by Tommy T or similar, and has the same backing as the Bruce Cloud record. The rhythm in the background features a typewriter clicking away. This was my serious suggestion for a track on the compilation, which you asked for. What's your problem?

Social source share

Guest Simon

Betty O'Brien - She'll be gone @ Liberty

George Cameron - My heart tells me so @ Portrait

Clark Richard - Come back @ ?

Johnny Wells - Lonely moon (?) @ Astor

Can't remember anymore, i'll ask my mate Mya, she's well into Popcorn.

Simon

Social source share

Thanks in advance

Ady

Ady

how about the Pearl & Dean tune :thumbup:

Mark C

Social source share

Ady - talk about misunderstanding a post! The record is called Sales Pitch, it's by Tommy T or similar, and has the same backing as the Bruce Cloud record. The rhythm in the background features a typewriter clicking away. This was my serious suggestion for a track on the compilation, which you asked for. What's your problem?

1,000 apologies Sir; my problem is a small brain, the income tax people and a stress level high enough to run a Ferrari. I've already had to apologise to Stuart today and am nearly out of Humble Pie now. Thanks for the suggestions, i wrongly thought that you were against Popcorn and jumped to a stupid conclusion.

Ady

Social source share

No disrespect Ady,You know I love ya to bits.... but in my humble opinion, any popcorn tunes that are both black and soulful are already known pretty much as mid tempo Northern soul & beat ballads. ie.

YOUR OLD STANDBY

DOWN AND OUT

IN A DAY OR TWO

QUICKSAND

I'VE HAD IT

etc...etc..etc

I can sugest...

R&B....CHANCE HALLIDAY-BURY ME DEEP...BILL JOHNSON-TRAVELLING STRANGER...CLAIR SISTERS-COOL COOL COOL...DEMONS-GOING TO THE DANCE

pop...BLACKWELLS-LOVE OR MONEY...RAY RUSH-SO WHAT...TONI CAROL-MOTHER...CAROL CONNORS-I WANNA KNOW

crooners...ROMAN REED-HARLEM HOCTURNE..ALAN DALE-CONQUERED..PETER JAMES-FEELINGS..PETER WYNN-I'M A FOOL TO WANT YOU..DEBONAIRS-GOING TO TOWN...JERRY MASON-YOU ARE LONELY

Mid tempo/ballads JAMES MOORE-A MAN SHOULD NEVER CRY..BRUCE CLOUD-LET ME COME BACK HOME..

all are by artists who's colour is unknown and unimportant to me, and to be honest duck, I would be the first to admit that most of the stuff in my collection would be totally unacceptable to soulful ears.

XX Linda

Thanks Linda, you know your stuff and the colour of the singer is less of a problem than the general sound as Kent is a soul/R&B label so we try to dodge out and out pop but there are several notable exceptions. I'll listen to all of these with an open mind when I get sorted.

Ady

Social source share

Don't know a lot about popcorn but have always thought that this is a superb tune:

Mel Anton & Checkers - Don't Treat Me This Way - Mickays

Adam.

Social source share

Guest eedeecee

Thanks in advance

Ady

Ady, besides the Mack Vance title I believe that

some of these could fit like a glove, although not all that rare and

some great instrumentals too....

Clay Hammond -dance little girl

Val Martinez -someone's gonna cry (RCA Victor)

Phil Dowgs -Hello stranger

The Latin Souls -a song called soul

Billy Bland -all I wanna do is cry

Jimmy Hughes -my loving time (Guyten)

Sam Fletcher -I'd think it over (Tollie)

David Coleman -drown my heart (Barrie)

Joe Torres -get out of my way (World Pacific)

Prince Buster -dance Cleopatra dance (Blue Beat)

The Temptations -I want a love I can see (Gordy)

Mel Torme -comin home baby (Atlantic)

Manny Corchado -Pow Wow (Decca)

Barbara English & the Fashions - Fever

Jay Abott -la Tanya

Fontella Bass -oh not my baby

Baby Washington -leave me alone

Hank Jacobs -heide

Billy Larkin & The Delegates -pigmy / hole in the wall

Bobettes - Mr Johnny Q

Willie Bobo -timbales Groove

Jerry Butler -find another girl

Solomon Burke -cry to me

Gene Chandler -you threw a lucky punch

Sam Cooke -that's it, I quit, I'm moving on

Jack Lundy -the Cleopatra kid

Jimmy Hughes -lovely ladies

Jimmy Cross -play the other side

Bobby Day -king's highway

Social source share

1,000 apologies Sir; my problem is a small brain, the income tax people and a stress level high enough to run a Ferrari. I've already had to apologise to Stuart today and am nearly out of Humble Pie now. Thanks for the suggestions, i wrongly thought that you were against Popcorn and jumped to a stupid conclusion.

Ady

Not at all Ady, I don't know anything about it apart from when I had the Sales Pitch record, people mentioned it was a popcorn tune, so that was my one and only suggestion.

No problem, thanks for the apology, all the best.

Social source share

So youve got a lot of demo`s,so what!! :thumbup:

Sorry Ken, don't understand what you are getting at? Bad day?

Actually I don't have a lot of demos any more as I've sold a lot of me vinyl now tongue.gif

I thought we were being asked for some suggestions and all I've done is have the cheek to post some up :thumbup:

Oh and by white un I meant singer not label

Edited by richard
Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Ady....Johnny Kelly has an awesome popcorn record called Betty Mae - Roger green - Debonair....massive and awesome...I sold mine...big mistake :thumbup:

Alice Fowkes has Cleo - Mark IV - Zest

Mik Parry, Bob Morris and Ezzie Brown also have some great stuff.

Theres also a really wonderful record on a private label that would go down well....but I am unable to disclose this as I CAN'T BLOODY FIND ONE....NEVER...NOT IN 12 YEARS OF SEARCHING...gggggrrrrrrrrrrr :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Some of these records are more R&B IMO than Popcorn.

All the R&B that I play, was stuff I was introduced to by Popcorn collectors in Belgium....So...Is it POPCORN...or R&B ???

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Thats the one, did it appear on a Hideaway tape some time? Theres a sort of similar one with the chorus Run Boy Run that I quite liked, not sure of the label though. Any ideas? Its about someone making a break from the chain gang and being chased by the sherriff with his bloodhounds. All good clean fun. Got a really good bass line even if the lyrics are perhaps a little twee :thumbup:

I think you could be thinking of Nat Wright -Run Sonny Run (bside of I'm glad it was you) -Petal

I don't have one though...I keep getting outbid on it :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Thanks Geoff, it's nice to know you're still with us and don't just turn up at Cleethorpes once a year with a caravan of ladeez.

Once we've had a few more I'll get the list sorted and then Linda can add a couple of hundred.

Alan H is away for Easter at the mo' but he's got some popcorn stunners in his box at the moment.....all of which I can't remember :thumbup: I think you should tap him up, Ady....the Hanging Tree thing has already got a mention but there's plenty more where that came from :thumbup: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I think you could be thinking of Nat Wright -Run Sonny Run (bside of I'm glad it was you) -Petal

I don't have one though...I keep getting outbid on it :thumbup:

Ah yes...the bloodhound/ chain gang one....Al's got that smile.gif What with hanging and chain gangs....is there any cheerful popcorn :thumbup: PS - slightly off topic - what's the tune used on the Special K ad at the moment - sounds a bit like Brenda Lee crossed with Ruth Brown....

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Theres also a really wonderful record on a private label that would go down well....but I am unable to disclose this as I CAN'T BLOODY FIND ONE....NEVER...NOT IN 12 YEARS OF SEARCHING...gggggrrrrrrrrrrr :thumbup:

Not the Madame X one, is it :thumbup: If it is - WOW - it would blow your collective socks off.....

Social source share

Alan H is away for Easter at the mo' but he's got some popcorn stunners in his box at the moment.....all of which I can't remember :thumbup: I think you should tap him up, Ady....the Hanging Tree thing has already got a mention but there's plenty more where that came from :thumbup: Jo

Ady, Jo's right you should just use Alan H as a consultant for the CD, he'd easily have enough knowledge/tunes to fill about 10 of em.

On a more selfish note I'd be grateful if you wouldn't publicise popcorn at the mo cos I've found this stuff to be far cheaper than NS on eBay recently and would like this situation to continue.

On topic: two of my recent purchases as suggestions:

Candy Reed - Give Me Love - Vanguard

R&B popcorn

Donald Height - Girl Do You Love Me - RCA

R&B but leaning towards Cha-cha-cha

Both records cost me 15 quid each biggrin.gif

My USB turntable isn't connected to my PC at the mo so can't immediately do soundfiles.

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Not the Madame X one, is it :thumbup: If it is - WOW - it would blow your collective socks off.....

nope....male vocal.

Madam x is brill tho

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

PS - slightly off topic - what's the tune used on the Special K ad at the moment - sounds a bit like Brenda Lee crossed with Ruth Brown....

...It's Connie Francis - Fallin' (MGM). It was originally the follow up to "Stupid Cupid". Great record - and proper Belgian-style Popcorn, too!

ToneXX

Social source share

I like that record with the typewriter clicking throughout. Forgot what it's called. "Sales Pitch", that's it. Forgot who it's by. Never mind, ignore this.

MY BOOK BRUCE CHANNEL!!!???? RAT A TAT TAT TAT TAT DING...you're gonna be in my book!!! ERA RECORDS!!

Social source share

YOUR OLD STANDBY

DOWN AND OUT

IN A DAY OR TWO

QUICKSAND

I'VE HAD IT

etc...etc..etc

I can sugest...

crooners...ROMAN REED-HARLEM HOCTURNE..ALAN DALE-CONQUERED..PETER JAMES-FEELINGS..PETER WYNN-I'M A FOOL TO WANT YOU..DEBONAIRS-GOING TO TOWN...JERRY MASON-YOU ARE LONELY, DON CRAWFORD - YOURE GONE

XX Linda

LINDA, EXCUSE ME FOR BUTTIN' IN CHICKEN...EVERYTHING YOU PLAY IS SOULFUL...MORESO....THAN ANYTHING I HAVE HEARD OUT...IT CERTAINLY AIN'T "NORTHERN" AND THANK GOD. WETHER IT'S A BLACK-WHITE- HESPANIC-MIDDLE EASTERN OR FUCKIN CORNISH...WHOMEVER THE ARTISTS ARE ON THE RECORDS YOU PLAY THEY'RE UPLIFTING AND SOULFUL...WITH HEART AND PASSION...NOW THATS SOUL MUSIC. THE VERSION OF THE CLASSIC STANDARD COME ON A MY HOUSE YOU PLAY...IS AMESOME AND WOULD BE A NICE INCLUSION.

.....(HAVE YOU STARTED WRITING YOUR SLEAVENOTES FOR THE C.D YET!!! :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

MY BOOK BRUCE CHANNEL!!!???? RAT A TAT TAT TAT TAT DING...you're gonna be in my book!!! ERA RECORDS!!

Bruce WHO ??????????? Ermmmm Bruce Cloud...ha ha ha :thumbsup:

OOOps sorry pete....note to self..read to bottom of thread before replying

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!