Taken Me 35 Years To Find This Record

Pete S

I first heard this track down our local fair, on the waltzers, and I loved it straight away, always loved it, but never been able to get a copy (apart from on a reissue). Every time I've seen one, and there haven't been many occasions to be honest, I've missed out on it. I see one ending on ebay today so I thought sod it, I'm going to win this, so I placed a snipe bid of £250 on it, which is more than I've ever paid for a reggae 45 before, anyway, it came in at £51! :thumbsup:

Absolutely over the moon, I think that is my longest ever want finally filled.

Sound clip to link below

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Slim-Sm...tio-t66339.html

3d13_1.JPG

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

That red and white Island label, although being so basic and boring, it actually makes me excited just looking at it, I know that aounds bizarre - maybe like when poeple see a Shrine label or something...

No, I'd go with that.

Social source share

That red and white Island label, although being so basic and boring, it actually makes me excited just looking at it, I know that aounds bizarre - maybe like when poeple see a Shrine label or something...
No, I'd go with that.

Me too, totally the opposite end rarity wise, but I still remember the buzz when I

opened the Mailer with a copy of Barefootin in it on the Island Label one of the first records I bought.

Such a clever, yet simple design & used on the Sue Label too.

So eye catching, so effective.

Pete, the Sue DEMO's had a small Black Block just above the number on the label,

did Island have a similar DEMO or none at all as I can't recall seeing an Island DEMO.

Pleased for you regarding this long time want, absolutely brilliant when you find a copy after 35 years of searching.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Pete, the Sue DEMO's had a small Black Block just above the number on the label,

...They're not demos, Roger - sorry. Chris Blackwell printed up far too much label stock with "Sue Records U.S.A", when the label was only releasing things from US Sue, and he had loads left after he fell out with Juggy Murray and Juggy took US Sue (back) to London American.

Rather than bin it, he simply overprinted it all with that black block, and used it until the stock ran out, somewhere around WI 350 or thereabouts.

There are no true Sue demos - I suppose that the nearest thing you get to them, other than any white label test presses (of which there are a few knocking around) are those 45s with the big 'A' rubber stamped on them. Although I've seen one or two with that rubber stamp on both sides, so I'm not sure how much of a 'demo' they are, either...

Best,

TONY

Social source share

I first heard this track down our local fair, on the waltzers, and I loved it straight away, always loved it, but never been able to get a copy (apart from on a reissue). Every time I've seen one, and there haven't been many occasions to be honest, I've missed out on it. I see one ending on ebay today so I thought sod it, I'm going to win this, so I placed a snipe bid of £250 on it, which is more than I've ever paid for a reggae 45 before, anyway, it came in at £51! :rolleyes:

Sound clip to link below

3d13_1.JPG

chuffed for you pal; don't get much better than that! I've never known anything about this gear but always seem to really like whatever I have heard and this is absolutely awesome; magic record! :thumbsup:

Social source share

...They're not demos, Roger - sorry. Chris Blackwell printed up far too much label stock with "Sue Records U.S.A", when the label was only releasing things from US Sue, and he had loads left after he fell out with Juggy Murray and Juggy took US Sue (back) to London American.

Rather than bin it, he simply overprinted it all with that black block, and used it until the stock ran out, somewhere around WI 350 or thereabouts.

There are no true Sue demos - I suppose that the nearest thing you get to them, other than any white label test presses (of which there are a few knocking around) are those 45s with the big 'A' rubber stamped on them. Although I've seen one or two with that rubber stamp on both sides, so I'm not sure how much of a 'demo' they are, either...

Best,

TONY

Hi Tony

Thanks for this, I was always under the Impression that they were DEMO's.

Nice to have a final conclusion to this. Another "Urban Myth" then, always told otherwise.

I have seen the rubber stamped, "A" "date" etc.

Thanks once again for putting things right.

Social source share

One of my faves too but I've only got it on the Trojan box set.

I think it was Bazza who said on another thread this stuff is part of the past scene for some of us, and should be again.

ROD

Great to listen to but maybe a bit hard to dance to this stuff Rod?

Would you like my Jamaican 45 as an easter gift now that I don't need it?

Social source share

Great to listen to but maybe a bit hard to dance to this stuff Rod?

Would you like my Jamaican 45 as an easter gift now that I don't need it?

I seem to remember two steps forward and one to the side and back together and two steps back and repeat but it was a long time ago.

It's either this stuff or it looks like there may be a Salsoul revival on it's way if another thread gets up a head of steam.

I'd love it. Is it a demo? [a joke]

ROD

Social source share

I seem to remember two steps forward and one to the side and back together and two steps back and repeat but it was a long time ago.

It's either this stuff or it looks like there may be a Salsoul revival on it's way if another thread gets up a head of steam.

I'd love it. Is it a demo? [a joke]

ROD

Sort of, it's a semi-blank - has the proper label but all credits left blank. I'll send it you tuesday, you might have to give me a nudge to remind me, not mint but it's done me for the last 8 yearsor so..

Social source share

I first heard this track down our local fair, on the waltzers, and I loved it straight away, always loved it, but never been able to get a copy (apart from on a reissue). Every time I've seen one, and there haven't been many occasions to be honest, I've missed out on it. I see one ending on ebay today so I thought sod it, I'm going to win this, so I placed a snipe bid of £250 on it, which is more than I've ever paid for a reggae 45 before, anyway, it came in at £51! :thumbsup:

Sound clip to link below

3d13_1.JPG

now that's what i call real dedication to the cause!! well done pete!!

max..

Social source share

Sound clip to link below

3d13_1.JPG

Well done sir! The kicker for me is I bought this blind in Bathgate (nr edinburgh) for 10p in 1975, never liked it and sold it in 1995 for 40p. Not the point of my post, just useless info!.

However, I have been tracking down the odd record or two for 36 years so I appreciate the feeling of 'finally got it!'

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

WISH I CUDDA HEARD STUFF LIKE THIS DOWN AT MY LOCAL FEAST, ALL I CAN REMEMBER HEARING WAS ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK, TEN GUITARS OR ROBIN GIBB SAVED BY THE BELL :thumbsup: .

BRI PINCH.

There's a pretty decent late ska/early rocksteady version of "Ten Guitars" on Studio 1 by the Clarendonians...

...don't think that "Saved By The Bell" ever made it 'back a yard', but some same-era Bee Gees-related material did:

"Words" - Marcia (Griffiths) and Jeff (Dixon) - Studio 1, 1968

"I've Gotta Get A Message To You" - Dave Barker and the Charmers - Splash, 1971

"How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" - Freddy McGregor - Bongo Man, 1971

"How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" - Glen Miller - Faze Four, 1971

"Massachusetts" - The Soul Vendors - Coxsone, 1968

...and someone like Busty Brown did "To Love Somebody" but it might not have been him...

Social source share

Sound clip to link below

3d13_1.JPG

Absolute classic in the Rocksteady genre! A want for most people who are into this stuff, me included! The Uniques (with Slim Smith) are one of the best groups to come out of JA, so soulful.

I've got loads of UK Island but not one Uniques 45 on this label, they always get snapped up!

What's on the flip Pete? Bet it's a good un' too!

Social source share

Absolute classic in the Rocksteady genre! A want for most people who are into this stuff, me included! The Uniques (with Slim Smith) are one of the best groups to come out of JA, so soulful.

I've got loads of UK Island but not one Uniques 45 on this label, they always get snapped up!

What's on the flip Pete? Bet it's a good un' too!

B side is Love One Another which I'm not sure I recognise from title alone. I've had a couple of Uniques on Island, remember having People Rocksteady which on the label was credited to Roy Shirley I think, Never Let Me Go, I think thats all I had even when I was collecting Island. The one I really want is Gypsy Woman, I think John Manship might have it on his site for something like 200 quid. Also their version of the Platters "See no evil" is great. I think "Out of love" aka The One Who Love Forgot (came out on Trojan) is the best of the lot except I've already posted it up a dozen times :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Don't rush for a UK press on that one, Pete - the original Ja. press, on Lee's, of "Gypsy Woman" is miles better than the mix that came out on Island.

That very same mix was also issued in 1973, on Ja. Justice, with label credit to Cornel Campbell for some reason.

Good old reggae, never lets you down...

Social source share

I think "Out of love" aka The One Who Love Forgot (came out on Trojan) is the best of the lot except I've already posted it up a dozen times laugh.gif

Hi Pete is this the Carnival record by the Pretenders??

Wouldn't have thought so mate but not heard Pretenders.

Just realised I have another Uniques record on Island, Never Let Me Go, another class piece of rocksteady but I've got it relegated to the B side as I prefer Lee's Special on the B side.

Social source share

A bit of trivia - "My Conversation" was actually featured in Lost, season 2 episode 4:

https://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/My_Conversation

Yeah, I was watching LOST on DVD last night. I was amazed to hear this record played when the record player came on, while they where in the bunker!! I did not know the record till last week, now I have heard it twice, from different sources!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!