The New Wilton

Hi All,

I hope Im not gonna be too contraversial but...

New refurbed venue, crowd, company and atmosphere were EXCELLENT.

But.. my only criticism would be pairing off the DJ's all night. Whilst I think I understand the reason behind doing it, I dont think they all bounced off one another during their respective spots and IMO the music variations from record to record just didn't always gel together because of it.

Im sure most of the DJ's would be happier playing a suited continuous flow of music from their collections as a solo performance rather than as a duet.

I know you cant taylor everything to suit everyones needs but if Im totally honest I was a bit disappointed with some of the playlists but would openly admit that the majority of people had an awesome time. Not to say that I didn't, because the company and crowd were terrific across the piece.

Only my opinion folks...

Al

must agree the last wilton i went to wich was the last one before the refurb kept me on the dance floor nearly all nite but this one well i was strugling to stay on for more than 2 records at a time yea im getting on but can usualy dance for a long time without a break so i agree dont think the pairing off worked well not for me anyway,i do have to say apart from that i enjoyed the nite the place is good the people are great the music was good it just didnt keep me on the floor for a good length of time,this is not meant as bad critism because i shall be a regular its a great niter and have allways enjoyed it

cheers bish

• Replies 58
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi All,

Sorry I know it's a bit late but just wanted to say a big thank you to all who attended our 15th anniversary re-opening night. Don't know about you lot but I really enjoyed the night and thanks once again to all the dj's for making it such a memorable night.

I know how much effort Dave, Val and Mouse have put into the organisation to make the night what it was, so all thanks to them.

I think the smile on Mouses face when the lights went up at the end said it all.

Remember we're not dj's or even promoters really, we're simply soul fans just like you and we just want to have some fun. Hope you all got your share of that!

We look forward to another great dj line up at the next Wilton nighter on 2nd May and hope to see you all again then.

Roger Banks, Colin Denham, Andy Dyson, Mick H, Marco, Keith Money, John Weston, with Boxy, Mouse and me

For those interested here's what I played, in no particular order.

Two Tons of Love - Brown and Beautiful - Gordo

Junior Wells - I Can't Stand No Signifying - Blue Rock

Felice Taylor - I Can Feel Your Love - Kent

Mighty Sam - Papa True Love - Soul City

Sam & Kitty - Your Money My Love - 4 Brothers

Dennis Jones - Is There A Reason - Plug

Otis Williams & Charms - Ain't Gonna Walk Your Dog - Okeh

Lee Rogers - The Same Things Thast Make You Laugh - Wheelsville

Billy Robinson & Burners - Shucks You Left The Fire Burning - Crazy Horse

The Turn-A-Rounds - Can't Take No More - Minit

Flash McKinley - I'll Rescue You - Bombay (request)

And a big thank you to Martyn Bird for making our spot so much fun.

Thanks once again to everyone, and hope to see you all again soon.

Jerry

"Oh the weather outside is frightful but the Wilton's so delightful and as we've no place to go, Let it snow,let it snow,let it snow".

Boy, Oh boy did it snow but that didn't deter the faithful flock from the "Tabernacle" of Yorkshire Soul. How wonderful to wipe your feet going in rather than when leaving & not even a slight whiff of Shitaki mushrooms about the place, slices of pizza for sale & new leather chairs & sofa's but there was still most of the old Wilton visible it just had a little show house gloss added & the dreaded stairs to the dancefloor were still there, ok going up but for me a death trap coming down, although I only managed to stumble a couple of times. :lol:

Only 20 min's late, given 2 Whitwood signs next to each other, so eeny,meeny, yes chose the wrong one, you'd think we'd never been before. Knew the place was chocker when we had to park car out on the road & was quietly pleased for Boxy & crew, as they deserve it & a little profit for a change. :wicked:

Excellent music all night for me but I understand what people mean about double decking, however I like the variety & mix & I think the floor was only lost once & then quickly regained, also when the witching hour of 4am came there was no beat ballad's/death dirges, so no mass exodus as in the past & I also notice Mr Wood slipped in a little Latin number near the end, Hey Tequila & Karamba!!!!! onto.gif

Great to spend time chatting etc with other "Nocturnal Night Hawks" like; Mick & Mo,Bish,Carole,Russ,Ady,Ali & Wendy,Headsy,Ron Pedley,Patto,Ian & Yorkies,Kirsty & Mike,Karen C (hope you understood me??),Jill & Becky (K.C's Sunshine Band & smiliest people in England),Col & Shirl,Darryl,Oxo & girls, I just hope I didn't bore you too much as I wandered round like Bo Peep looking for her sheep. :hypo::shhh:

By the end the weather had broken & was a lot better for us diehards, Gail shouts us all out to the car, so Martyn,Lynne,Wendy & I stand outside waiting in Arctic conditions waiting while Gail takes another 30 min's saying bye bye, so it's finally goodbye to Howard & Johnno & Headsy who carry enough bags & boxes to emigrate, which I'm afraid people he isn't.

Hope we didn't traumatise you & the kids too much Martyn & Lynne & that we'll be allowed to cross the border into Hull in future & lets all hope this carries on & the numbers stay high for Wilton guys & gal's.

Till next time, take care, be safe & remember,"More than 2 shakes & your playing with it lads", wink.gif

Spot. :ohmy:

p.s. Karen, hair cut this week, honest. :lol:

Edited by spot

cracking journey up with brad, del t, steve green ,bob cornock and moi jivin in the car all the way...left at 5 ,in pub 8.30 :ohmy: looked a bit different but felt just the same when we walked in and saw those familiar faces on the door, A BADGE!!!!!!!!! said brad...bout time he re appeared and got his own , eh mouse!!!!!!!!!!

great to see so many old regulars back in harness...geordie crew,........ a bad influence on me :lol: but i think i behaved. for a change. great night, dance floor a bit diffo ?????/ or was it just me...anyway.........hi lite was seeing mr and mrs ant price and steve and heather dowling after so long, and meetin the crosbys,

made a few sales, good trades and was far to generous to ted, as normal, soft or what!!!!!!!!! thanks to craig butler for dvds as well, net one looks great, cant wait, ezzie :wicked: WELL DONE WILTON CREW

PS LIKD THE SUIT TREVSKI!!!

big thanks to mouse,jerry and dave for the invite, it meant a lot.

playlist below

parliaments - this is my rainy day

empires - youre on top girl [ for debbie]

dennis edwards - i didnt have to

poets - wrapped around your finger

devotions - do do dee dop

leon peterson - now your on your own

jimmy ruffin - stop leading me on [ unissued acetate]

billy stewart - were in love [ unissued acetate]

sam dees - lonely for you beby [ alt. version]

cody black - its our turn to fall in love

e.williams - trade my soul to the devil

inmates - this is the day

los keys - to live

lynn terry - i got a good thing going

new sounds - dont take your love

t.n.j.s - two girls

west coast distributors - girl i love you

prince paul - in the begining

ward burton - sweet temptation

david thomas - ill always need you

new wanderers - aint gonna do you no harm

billy soultree - im the man

magnetics - count the days

spotlight band - nowhere to run

joe and george - c/u

thanks again

carl and maria

"Oh the weather outside is frightful but the Wilton's so delightful and as we've no place to go, Let it snow,let it snow,let it snow".

Boy, Oh boy did it snow but that didn't deter the faithful flock from the "Tabernacle" of Yorkshire Soul. How wonderful to wipe your feet going in rather than when leaving & not even a slight whiff of Shitaki mushrooms about the place, slices of pizza for sale & new leather chairs & sofa's but there was still most of the old Wilton visible it just had a little show house gloss added & the dreaded stairs to the dancefloor were still there, ok going up but for me a death trap coming down, although I only managed to stumble a couple of times. blush.gif

Only 20 min's late, given 2 Whitwood signs next to each other, so eeny,meeny, yes chose the wrong one, you'd think we'd never been before. Knew the place was chocker when we had to park car out on the road & was quietly pleased for Boxy & crew, as they deserve it & a little profit for a change. :lol:

Excellent music all night for me but I understand what people mean about double decking, however I like the variety & mix & I think the floor was only lost once & then quickly regained, also when the witching hour of 4am came there was no beat ballad's/death dirges, so no mass exodus as in the past & I also notice Mr Wood slipped in a little Latin number near the end, Hey Tequila & Karamba!!!!! onto.gif

Great to spend time chatting etc with other "Nocturnal Night Hawks" like; Mick & Mo,Bish,Carole,Russ,Ady,Ali & Wendy,Headsy,Ron Pedley,Patto,Ian & Yorkies,Kirsty & Mike,Karen C (hope you understood me??),Jill & Becky (K.C's Sunshine Band & smiliest people in England),Col & Shirl,Darryl,Oxo & girls, I just hope I didn't bore you too much as I wandered round like Bo Peep looking for her sheep. :lol::shhh:

By the end the weather had broken & was a lot better for us diehards, Gail shouts us all out to the car, so Martyn,Lynne,Wendy & I stand outside waiting in Arctic conditions waiting while Gail takes another 30 min's saying bye bye, so it's finally goodbye to Howard & Johnno & Headsy who carry enough bags & boxes to emigrate, which I'm afraid people he isn't.

Hope we didn't traumatise you & the kids too much Martyn & Lynne & that we'll be allowed to cross the border into Hull in future & lets all hope this carries on & the numbers stay high for Wilton guys & gal's.

Till next time, take care, be safe & remember,"More than 2 shakes & your playing with it lads", wink.gif

Spot. :lol:

p.s. Karen, hair cut this week, honest. :lol:

Spot

"Kids........traumatised" Don't forget they have to live with me & Lynn rolleyes.gif They thought it was great & want to know when your coming back............I said soon rolleyes.gif Joking apart many thanks fornthe lift it was great fun.

Cheers

Martyn

www.hullsoulclub.com

And a big thank you to Martyn Bird for making our spot so much fun.

Jerry

The pleasure was all mine,felt a little guilty as I think we were having more fun behind the decks then the dancers in front of them........is that aloud rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Martyn

www.hullsoulclub.com

Managed to hook up a temporary dial-up connection at mum's whilst we're here (and believe me, it beats morning television :lol: ).

Even though distracted with other commitments, I'm now relaxed and warm enough to recall a bit of the short time we could be there.

Firstly, a huge thanks to the boys for asking me to play some of my bits at this rather special venue.

Also, I was so pleased that it was so seriously busy for them and I found the atmosphere rather electric and nice to watch. Even faces I hadn't seen for a while kept popping up and I kept wondering if I was imagining it (whilst also wondering what I'd forgotten to pack and whether the snow would cause an accident on the M1).

I know some people like the traditional allniter venue standard of decor and fitout, but give me quality refurbishment every time! thumbup.gif I must have had six people tell me about the heated toilet seats, before I even had a chance to go!

Musically, I'm sure everyone heard something soulful they liked or loved. I really wish I could have stayed longer and after hitting Heathrow at 6am, that was confirmed.

Look forward making as many Wilton's as we can. It's wonderful to have a quality venue (musically and the rest) like this, relatively close to home.

m

ps. ...And Kev J - I still haven't hassled Ady Harley around the corner yet, but won't forget by the weekend shhh.gif

If anybody is interested in either playlist, let me know and I'll sort it upon return - or I could ask our mate to type it out :lol:

Source Advert