The Community Soul Project- 2

Think you'll need more than a few 1000 volts after Friday Winnie if the quality of the toons spun at the first one is anything to go by!!! If you require mouth-to-mouth at any stage mate.........your on your own :thumbsup:

Edited by TheBigO
  • Replies 102
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest gordon russell

=====================

Can never quite understand why you insist on putting spoilers into other people's threads Terry, particularly local ones. Spirella undoubtedly has a good line up of DJ's and by all accounts is a stunning venue. Will save any other comments till I've actually been or it could be construed I'm bigging it up without experiencing it........... worst thing in the world to big up or slag down somewhere till you've put in an appearance, people could thing there might be an ulterior motive.......... :D

Anyway looking forward to visiting the Spirella maybe see you there if you're not going anywhere else over the weekend? :thumbsup:

Winnie :-)

not a spoiler winston...was told this by a dj who was on,on this venue.Just goes to show,don't believe all you hear as for ulterior motives whats big o's he never bothers with anyone elses venues and there seems to already be a split in this area the IRISH CLUB being the one to suffer....numbers down at the last one.Why is it in this area that when the genuine fellas put on a night the attendances are a bit indifferant,when others less genuine,or not at all,put on a night they get packed out.Rather than just havin a go at me for being negative people should ask themselves is he right or wrong in his view.I only speak as I find......in 10years for instance mr O has never been to bedford,is that commitment?....not in my book.You won't see us at this venue as we will be elsewhere,where the promoters and djs have some integrity.You have a great night fella,knowing you,you will.Next time you see me come and have a chat and you'll see that I am far from negative about the soul scene I just suffer from saying what everyone I meet agrees with, but never want to say.See ya ..all the best tezza :thumbsup::lol::)

Guest Andy Kempster

dave chase on crutches he is such a copy cat !!!!

bless him, its killing him not being able to get out, think it'll be hitchin the following week when he makes his big entrance (no comments please :D )

not a spoiler winston...was told this by a dj who was on,on this venue.Just goes to show,don't believe all you hear as for ulterior motives whats big o's he never bothers with anyone elses venues and there seems to already be a split in this area the IRISH CLUB being the one to suffer....numbers down at the last one.Why is it in this area that when the genuine fellas put on a night the attendances are a bit indifferant,when others less genuine,or not at all,put on a night they get packed out.Rather than just havin a go at me for being negative people should ask themselves is he right or wrong in his view.I only speak as I find......in 10years for instance mr O has never been to bedford,is that commitment?....not in my book.You won't see us at this venue as we will be elsewhere,where the promoters and djs have some integrity.You have a great night fella,knowing you,you will.Next time you see me come and have a chat and you'll see that I am far from negative about the soul scene I just suffer from saying what everyone I meet agrees with, but never want to say.See ya ..all the best tezza :thumbsup::thumbsup::lol:

=============

Don't want to hijack the thread, particularly when it involves politics so won't comment till after I've experienced the Spirella :D Enjoy your night wherever you end up Terry :)

For those that have emailed the DJ line-up will be spinning as follows:

8-9: TheBigO (60's)

9-10: Taff (Modern/Xover)

10-11: Sean Chapman (Northern)

11-12: Dave Fleming (60s & Modern/Xover)

12-1: Steve G (Usual top quality set)

1-2: Soul Sam (do you really have to ask???)

Is it me or is Aarron's (on the left) flys undone??? Nice pic Doc, will let you explain that one then :shades:

Paul, I've not been to your event but will email the link to our 800 members, I've not been to a Bedford event since Hammies excellent Kempston event shut its doors and moved to the Rugby Club a couple of years back and my 3 kids took priority in the social partying stakes!!!!

You won't see us at this venue as we will be elsewhere,where the promoters and djs have some integrity.

Oi, behave yourself Terry :shades: . Whatever you think of the promotor (not much :g: ), don't drag the DJs into it. The DJs on the roster are professionals with total integrity and will be putting on the best selection of tunes that we can to entertain those attending on Friday. yes.gif Some stompers from me I think! Please think what you are saying before you type comments like the above. And if BigO's flies are undone he will be asked to leave the premises you can be assured of that.

Steve

Steve, looking forward to hearing what new sounds you have in that box of yours following your teasing text over weekend! As for asking me to go outside if my flies are undone I hope you haven't an ulterior motive in doing so, you silver foxed swine you :thumbsup: Oh and you'll be glad to knowthat Lutons Pete T is supplying all his gear for us to tes out on the night so rest assured that even Sam wont be allowed to fiddle with the settings and bugger the sound as he manages to do at....well, everywhere!!!!!!

Steve, looking forward to hearing what new sounds you have in that box of yours following your teasing text over weekend! As for asking me to go outside if my flies are undone I hope you haven't an ulterior motive in doing so, you silver foxed swine you :thumbsup: Oh and you'll be glad to knowthat Lutons Pete T is supplying all his gear for us to tes out on the night so rest assured that even Sam wont be allowed to fiddle with the settings and bugger the sound as he manages to do at....well, everywhere!!!!!!

==============

Idiot proof directions please

Guest Dr Pickles

==============

Idiot proof directions please

Hi Winnie

Hope these help.

Come off at Jct 9 (A1) and follow the road straight towards the town centre, going down the 'longabout' and past the garage, taking the 2nd exit, going straight the coming to a roundabout with a church on it. Straight over this (2nd exit) and down to next roundabout and another church on the left (!), straight over again and go to end, joining the 1-way system following around to the right, past the Plinston (and can we all doff our collective caps to the hallowed venue), past Morrissons and taking the next exit, 1-way again, to the bottom of the road. In front of you is the rail station, turn left, next roundabout turn right, over Bridge Road (look to your left as you do so, that HUGE building your passing is the Spirella!), next rounabout turn left and then right into the car park of the Spirella and enter through the revolving doors at the rear you will see. Up 4 flights of stairs or take the lift and Soulful Nivana awaits those that have managed to complete the task! Hope that helps if not use the AA or Google map function, postcode is SG6 4ET.

Once you get close you can't miss the building:

gallery_1774_234_41389.jpg

ATB

Doc

Detailed as always Pickles! In short Winnie, come out of the old Plinston venue, turn left and go to bottom of 1-way road, turn left and right at roundabout. The MASSIVE building you are walking past is it, go around to the back and prepare yourself for plenty of great toons, witty banter and best of all, no talc becuase its banned!!!!!

Detailed as always Pickles! In short Winnie, come out of the old Plinston venue, turn left and go to bottom of 1-way road, turn left and right at roundabout. The MASSIVE building you are walking past is it, go around to the back and prepare yourself for plenty of great toons, witty banter and best of all, no talc becuase its banned!!!!!

===============

Cheers gents, have just been given an alternative route.......... choices choices :thumbsup: By the way make sure the lift is working Neil or we'll have a Robin Hood/Little John situation :ohmy::lol:

Trust me Winnie, the words super posh describe this venue and you'll have no problems getting up to the 4th floor in the new social gethering areathat is the lifts, looking forward to getting your reactions given your a Plinston old boy, well very old boy now lol! on the venue. The phone calls are coming in now for tickets so usual rule applies people, if travelling reserve them, if local(ish) you should be fine at the moment. More to follow

Guest Dr Pickles

Time to remind people how good the venue and especially the floor is...........

gallery_1774_234_834.jpg

This the floor having it's special "dancing" varnish applied

This venue is simply, one of the best I've danced at. :thumbsup:

Doc

Edited by Dr Pickles

And to bring even more of a smile to your face Pickles they have given it another good polishing today so it will be up to its usual fantastic high standard, and again please all remember there is a NO TALC policy at the venue, as those who were there at the sold-out first night will testify NOTHING gets past the security (hence the table full of talc in the lobby looking like a reject from the Boots counter!!!!)

Guest boots

=============

Went to St Ives this weekend and used four shirts, so might have to wash them to have them available for CSP. Alternatively could just go with the 'tangy shirt' scenario and give boots a big cuddle

Whiffy :-)

im always ready for a winnie cuddle on matter what shirt you have on :lol:

Guest boots

not a spoiler winston...was told this by a dj who was on,on this venue.Just goes to show,don't believe all you hear as for ulterior motives whats big o's he never bothers with anyone elses venues and there seems to already be a split in this area the IRISH CLUB being the one to suffer....numbers down at the last one.Why is it in this area that when the genuine fellas put on a night the attendances are a bit indifferant,when others less genuine,or not at all,put on a night they get packed out.Rather than just havin a go at me for being negative people should ask themselves is he right or wrong in his view.I only speak as I find......in 10years for instance mr O has never been to bedford,is that commitment?....not in my book.You won't see us at this venue as we will be elsewhere,where the promoters and djs have some integrity.You have a great night fella,knowing you,you will.Next time you see me come and have a chat and you'll see that I am far from negative about the soul scene I just suffer from saying what everyone I meet agrees with, but never want to say.See ya ..all the best tezza :lol::lol::D

hi terry

so here we are again !

we all go through stages in our life when we cant make every or any do and as neil quite rightly says he was a regular at kempston,i try to help neil as much a i can so i guess you can say i am a co promoter and over the last ten years have been to many many local dos and many many not so local dos travelling many miles and have never had a go at anyone or any do,

if you have a personal problem with mr o why dont you sit down and talk to him about it,as for your comment on the irish club i know i was not there at the last one but i have been to many others. as i had just had surgery and i also know quite a few of my friends were not there just because they were plain busy,no other reason so imo the spirella has no bearing on the irish club what so ever

this constant back biting is affecting very long standing friendships and some people might be saying one thing to you but the complete opposite to us and to be honest there are alot more important things in the world to be worrying about .

as i say to my children "dont believe everything you hear" and you cant say you dont like something until you have tried it(this usually applies to vegetables) :lol:

kay

Guest gordon russell

hi terry

so here we are again !

we all go through stages in our life when we cant make every or any do and as neil quite rightly says he was a regular at kempston,i try to help neil as much a i can so i guess you can say i am a co promoter and over the last ten years have been to many many local dos and many many not so local dos travelling many miles and have never had a go at anyone or any do,

if you have a personal problem with mr o why dont you sit down and talk to him about it,as for your comment on the irish club i know i was not there at the last one but i have been to many others. as i had just had surgery and i also know quite a few of my friends were not there just because they were plain busy,no other reason so imo the spirella has no bearing on the irish club what so ever

this constant back biting is affecting very long standing friendships and some people might be saying one thing to you but the complete opposite to us and to be honest there are alot more important things in the world to be worrying about .

as i say to my children "dont believe everything you hear" and you cant say you dont like something until you have tried it(this usually applies to vegetables) :thumbup:

kay

HI KAY,

You and probably a lot of others just don't seem to get it .So let me try again.Ithis region over the last few years there has been loads of venues come and go.What upsets me the most is that when someone who is genuinely on the soul scene going to venues putting their HANDS IN THEIR POCKETS to support other events all around the place we all think thats great,but when that person puts on a venue themselves they get poor or indifferant attendances.Andy from st.ives spent months promoting his LEL allnighter,one of the best line ups in this area ever...the turnout was less that 60 people,Andy is out and about everywhere putting his hand in his pocket for other venues helping to keep them going.the guy from soulmotion goes absolutely nowhere to support anyone ,puts a do on once a year....packed.Hammie has been running a do in bedford for years hes always out and about supporting others,his do suffers from up and down attendaces in this area.The same seems to be on the cards at the irish club,genuine fellas again...indifferant attendances.And this is mirrored all over this area,those that are out and about spending their hard earned at others venues get indifferant response at the venues they put on.We hear so much these days of too many venues....well all the bloody new ones in this region have been started by wanna-be's who GO TO NO OTHER VENUES,WHO DO NOT PUT THEIR HANDS IN THEIR POCKETS TO SUPPORT OTHERS.So as I see it it's these fellas who are killing around here not the genuine people.And these people have the cheek to tell us they are big soul fans, HA!..I have no personal grudge against Neil....hes just another one of a few in this area who quite frankly are the ones ruining it.I am not sorry if this upsets folk,but imo thats how it is.

all the best kay terry

This is the only time I am going to reply to your comments Terry as to be frank your postings before have been, despite what you think in your own mind, completely wrong and I was glad to read that you dont have a grudge against me because I would hate to see what you'd post if you did!!!!! Your arguement seems to be you cant be a genuine soul fan unless you are out every weekend attending events and that if anyone should put on a do in an area where there are others its for no other reason than to dilute numbers etc.

I got into the scene in 1978/79 when I first met Taffy, Toby etc. I attended allnighters and clubs all over the Uk, even through the dark days of the late 80's etc, and despite your previous posting I attended Hammies events (and had him as a regularDJ at my Plinston events throughout the early part of the 0's) up until my 3 kids arrived. Thats when I started cutting back on travelling, only going to selected events when I could and I wasn't commiteed to my kids events etc. I also opened the Plinston event to ensure that we had a large local event on our doorstep and at that time there were no other clubs on in Letchworth. Fact. Andy and the Hitchin boys opened their event also but you didn't see me rushing to this forum to whine about it. The more clubs locally the better, its always been that way. To cut a long story short I closed the Plinston as the new laws were coming in and I was working on a better venue, Taff and Graham opened the Irish Club (and I supply all the gear for the event so I obviously do support this do and attend, except the last 2 due to other commitments)

Everyone was aware and supportive of my intention to open a new club, theres never been a split as you suggest locally, and indeed I was offered finance by a few including Toby (thanks for the offer by the way mate),and he is one of the Irish Club DJs, who were more than keen for the new venue to open. Indeed Taffy and Steve G all DJ at the Spirella. Hardly suggest a split scene does it? The only one who has openly stated they have a problem with any of the clubs in this area opening is you mate. We, the promoters, all work together and try to help out where we can to get the people into all the venues and to keep the music we all love alive. Even though I cant get out much at the moment I do promote all the local events as much as I can,mailouts, emails, posters at our events etc. You cant force people to attend a venue, normal life gets in the way, and they will go to those that they can.

I'll skip your wannabe comment as those that have known me for the past 30 years will just laugh at that suggestion.

In conclusion mate you are entitled to your opinion, where its wrong for myself and my club is that much of it is not based in fact (the comment about free tickets for example, we could all go around and say so and so said this but I cant tell you who!) Attend the clubs you wish, thats your choice, but try and not come on here to hijack threads for your (or those you claim to be speaking for) own motives and at least try and get the FACTS correct first, otherwise you come across as a grumpy old man.

Winnie, are you saying that Kay isn't stunning but the venue is???? I only ask as I am somewhat concerned for your lower regions in case Boots reads it as i did tongue.gif I shall welcome you with my usual witty retorts tomorrow and will look forwrd to your views on this your first visit. Yogi, please inform me again if our bass bins look like they are on fire, lol

Winnie, are you saying that Kay isn't stunning but the venue is???? I only ask as I am somewhat concerned for your lower regions in case Boots reads it as i did :rolleyes: I shall welcome you with my usual witty retorts tomorrow and will look forwrd to your views on this your first visit. Yogi, please inform me again if our bass bins look like they are on fire, lol

=============

The words stunning and Kay compliment each other and would generally feature as a given in normal thought patterns. Your interest in my nether regions and their well being however conjure up images as uncomfortable as Peter Stringfellow in a thong. It's time for you to re-medicate :-)

Yogi thanks for the welcome back thumbsup.gif

Winnie :-)

Winnie, I have left myself exposed again! Warren, pleasure to chat with you on opening night and sorry you cant make this one as have just completed the sound test with the new gear and in a word, fantastic! The layout and lighting has also been tweeked having taken on board all the comments from the first night and so many returning will find the ballroom is even better, darker and geared for atmosphere! The next one after this is Friday 27th June when our special guest DJ will be that lover of new flooring Dr Pickles. Had a few emails asking about tickets and same advice as above earlier, if you are local and arriving before 10pm shouldn't be a problem but if travelling best reserve them to be on the safe side.

:thumbsup: Friday at last and the CSP2 is upon us! Looking forward to meeting and greeting tonight and all I'll say is if your unsure where to go tonight why not come along and check out the superb venue, the people and the atmosphere for yourself and dance to great toons from your cuddly DJ's, especially Taffys as he has a whole box load of new sounds ready for his 9-10 set. Roll on 8pm!!!!!

Yogi, is Reg coming tonight? Just I dont have him down for a ticket and Boots said she thought he was coming. Confused mate, please clarify :-)

Neil,

No he cannot make it, as at the last time I heard from him.

Something to do with either being on the radio or getting some books ready for Caister

See you later

Yogi

Right thats all from me on this posting, off to the ballroom shortly so will see everyone tonight, no matter where you choose to go hope you have a good one.

Hi Neil, Just a quickie to wish you luck for tonight and to remind you to bring me some flyers for C.S.P. III so that I can continue spreading the word on our pilgramages up and down the country searching for soul

cheers Melvyn

Source Advert