Mike Post Coalition - Why?

'Mike Post Coalition - Afternoon on the Rhino'.

This track has always baffled me. Why would someone take a huge orchestra into a studio to record a random track that was not a theme tune for any film or program that I am aware of, but just for the sake of it. Can you imagine being in the studio when the track was recorded? WOW! The track is so full of energy from start to finish. And what type of music is it? It wasn't made as a Northern Soul record as the term was little known when it was made, so why was it recorded and to what end, it can't have made much money on the commercial scene? All hail Mike Post. what was he thinking?

Does anyone know the reason for this amazing record to have been recorded?

Edited by steveluigi
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

This track has always baffled me. Why would someone take a huge orchestra into a studio to record a random track that was not a theme tune for any film or program that I am aware of, but just for the sake of it. Can you imagine being in the studio when the track was recorded? WOW! The track is so full of energy from start to finish. And what type of music is it? It wasn't made as a Northern Soul record as the term was little known when it was made, so why was it recorded and to what end, it can't have made much money on the commercial scene? All hail Mike Post. what was he thinking?

Gotta Agree

I have always loved this track from first hearing it and with the only clue, the Soul Beat Boot.

I bought the Album as soon as possible, plus the marvelous "Bubblegum Breakthrough"

It even gained a UK release following the Northern Interest "Fused" Album & Single.

Yet the reason why it was written is Unknown, as far as I am aware.

Famous for Theme Tunes, Mike Post is Legendary. I'm just pleased that for whatever reason, that this track was recorded.

What an amazing Album filler. Still does the business for me even after all of these years. Feelgood Music at it's best.

Warner_Bros-WS-1809-2.jpg

Warner_Bros_7357a_DJ.jpgWarner_Bros_7357a.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Nice track for play footing... :lol:

Social source share

I reckon that a few people were trying to emulate Mason William's "Classical Gas" which was a huge full orchestra instrumental hit at the time and on the same label - Warner Bros.

They probably had the same A&R guy I bet.....

I could listen to records like that all day. Magnificent!

Also loved the instrumental version of the Lovin' Spoonfull's "Six O'Clock" (bootlegged as "Supertime" - the Golden World Strings) which was similar to the Mike Post stuff.

Ian D :lol:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I reckon that a few people were trying to emulate Mason William's "Classical Gas" which was a huge full orchestra instrumental hit at the time and on the same label - Warner Bros.

Also loved the instrumental version of the Lovin' Spoonfull's "Six O'Clock" (bootlegged as "Supertime" - the Golden World Strings) which was similar to the Mike Post stuff.

Yes, the reasons why may be unknown, I'm just pleased that they did.

6 O'Clock (Supertime) Another Favourite.

Imperial_12353.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Yes, the reasons why may be unknown, I'm just pleased that they did.

6 O'Clock (Supertime) Another Favourite.

Imperial_12353.jpg

"AOTR " : A total left - fielder of a record if ever there was one ........

If you / we did not know ant better , you would put your life on it being a tailor - made NS record .......

I agree with young Foggy , that there are striking similarities withy Mason Williams' " Classical Gas " ........

I was in San Francisco in the late 70s , when it came onto the TV in my hotel room : I dashed out of the bathroom , only to find it was being used for an advert ........

I seem to recall there was some debate as to whether its' correct title was / is " Afternoon ON The Rhino " , or

" Afternoon OF The Rhino " ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Another one in the same uplifting bag as the above is Gene Page " Of our other days " , brilliant !! Best ,Eddie

Social source share

I believe Mike Post Was the arranger or producer. Also wasn't there a story going around in the 70s that Sam played Classical Gas covered up as "Morning Of The Monkey" at some venue?

Paul

AM CERTAIN IT HAS BEEN PLAYED SOMEWHERE, PAUL.....AND WHY NOT EH!.

BRI.

Social source share

DIDN'T MIKE POST PROVIDE THE INSTRUMENTAL BACKING MUSIC TO MASON WILLIAMS CLASSIC HIT?

BRI.

I have checked on " CG " , and MP was arranger and producer for the record ........

That is why there are similarities with " AOTR " and " CG " .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

I was thinking about this track the other day, really like the look of that Soul Beat bootleg from the seventies??

anybody got one?

Mike Post is still in the business, think he did the music for Law & order Crim Intent etc.... but over here they use a moody detroit techno esq track over the titles..

here's his IMBD link

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006236/

mal

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

I have checked on " CG " , and MP was arranger and producer for the record ........

That is why there are similarities with " AOTR " and " CG " .........

Malc Burton

Massive simularities! "Rhino" obviously followed the path of "CG" but made it 100% pure Northern IMHO. Basically if the drums were slightly more to fore instead of the guitar, then "Classical Gas" would be a perfect Northern instrumental.

Have a listen......

Ian D :thumbsup:

23_Classical_Gas.mp3

Social source share

Massive simularities! "Rhino" obviously followed the path of "CG" but made it 100% pure Northern IMHO. Basically if the drums were slightly more to fore instead of the guitar, then "Classical Gas" would be a perfect Northern instrumental.

Have a listen......

Ian D :D

SOUNDS LIKE A NORTHERN SOUL RECORD TO MY EARS IAN :thumbsup: .

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

SOUNDS LIKE A NORTHERN SOUL RECORD TO MY EARS IAN :thumbsup: .

BRI PINCH.

As we seem to concur that " CG " is a NS styled record , It might be well worth someone who has access to it , checking the only other Mike Post arranged and produced track - " Overture " - off the album " CG " came from , " The Mason Williams Phonograph

Album " .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

As we seem to concur that " CG " is a NS styled record , It might be well worth someone who has access to it , checking the only other Mike Post arranged and produced track - " Overture " - off the album " CG " came from , " The Mason Williams Phonograph

Album " .........

Malc Burton

And if I ever see it I'll be the first to blag one Malc! There were actually quite a few of these type of releases from Warners back then. They were doing so well with soundtracks and the occasional monster hits from film or TV shows ("Dueling Banjos" from "Deliverance" springs to mind) that they seemed to be the No.1 company for these types of projects.

I actually have around 30 cd's of this type of stuff which I've never ever played!!

Will go through 'em just in case there's another AOTR knocking around LOL....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Duelling Banjos is Eric Weissberg I think. I once sat through a whole gig of his stuff & loved it to bits.

I decided to attend Cambridge Folk Festival in I think 1976, or probably 1977, having a month off from the scene, so to speak. I still love Bluegrass & Old Time to this day.

Always fancied meself as a fiddle player too.

Mike Post could have done Rhona's Theme as well. It all seemed so right then, didn't it?

Social source share

Duelling Banjos is Eric Weissberg I think. I once sat through a whole gig of his stuff & loved it to bits.

I decided to attend Cambridge Folk Festival in I think 1976, or probably 1977, having a month off from the scene, so to speak. I still love Bluegrass & Old Time to this day.

Always fancied meself as a fiddle player too.

Mike Post could have done Rhona's Theme as well. It all seemed so right then, didn't it?

Worked like a dream mate! Never seen dance floors expend as much energy as when AOTR came on!

"Rona's Theme" was difficult to find as well. An L.A. release and I only ever found one in all the time I was there.

Social source share

And if I ever see it I'll be the first to blag one Malc! There were actually quite a few of these type of releases from Warners back then. They were doing so well with soundtracks and the occasional monster hits from film or TV shows ("Dueling Banjos" from "Deliverance" springs to mind) that they seemed to be the No.1 company for these types of projects.

I actually have around 30 cd's of this type of stuff which I've never ever played!!

Will go through 'em just in case there's another AOTR knocking around LOL....

There is an album I came across - " The Man From U .N .C .L .E . " on UK RCA - which features a track by ( as was the whole album ) Lalo Schifrin , called " The Invaders " ........

Slightly out of sync with what was being played in 1975 when I found it - otherwise I would have given it a go - it may just be right , and acceptable today........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Glynn Jones

There is an album I came across - " The Man From U .N .C .L .E . " on UK RCA - which features a track by ( as was the whole album ) Lalo Schifrin , called " The Invaders " ........

Slightly out of sync with what was being played in 1975 when I found it - otherwise I would have given it a go - it may just be right , and acceptable today........

Malc Burton

https://www.amazon.com/Music-U-N-C-L-E-Orig...r/dp/B000002ZB6

Is this the one, Malc?

I prefer Run Spy Run & Slink.

G :D

Social source share

Malc Burton

"The Invaders" - The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

09_The_Invaders.mp3

Social source share

"The Invaders" - The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

It sounds like the track , but as I have not heard it since the old king died , I cannot be exactly sure .....

It came from this album , which is somewhere around in Chez burton : I will have to seek it out amd give it a spin .......

Apologies I stated it was by Lalo Scgifrin : it was written by LS , and played by Hugo Montenegro .......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1206463547.jpg

Social source share

It sounds like the track , but as I have not heard it since the old king died , I cannot be exactly sure .....

It came from this album , which is somewhere around in Chez burton : I will have to seek it out amd give it a spin .......

Apologies I stated it was by Lalo Scgifrin : it was written by LS , and played by Hugo Montenegro .......

Malc Burton

I actually re-issued the album when I was @ Simply Vinyl which is why I have the masters so easily at hand LOL!.

Been playing through hours of stuff over here - so much of this stuff was great but not necessarily Northern and I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the Mike Post Coalition had everything exactly perfect for our purposes.

Which leads us nicely back onto the Mike Post thread again.........

Would really like to know more about why the track was recorded so going into research mode.......

Social source share

I actually re-issued the album when I was @ Simply Vinyl which is why I have the masters so easily at hand LOL!.

Been playing through hours of stuff over here - so much of this stuff was great but not necessarily Northern and I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the Mike Post Coalition had everything exactly perfect for our purposes.

Would really like to know more about why the track was recorded so going into research mode.......

Ian D :wicked:

Obviously those music lessons you had when you were at school , are now paying off :lol: .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Good news that you Guru's on here a re championing the old instrumental. I was under the impression that the Good old Instrumental was somewhat frowned upon in purist circles but of late i detect something of a renaisance. Infact i was making a decent sized heap of records all instrumentals as i am somewhat partial myself. So in the heap is Falbala, Johnny Gibson Trio, Alfie Khan, Al de lory and Mike Post "Bubblegum" on the basis that no one had compiled a decent CD with plenty of em together and i was going to treat myself by hacking together a compilation on my digital turntable onto computer. So Ian, get on with it, do a legal one.

While i was having a sort a cracking inst fell out in the form of The Street People "I'm here for Good" on Detroit Now, a lot like Pure Soul Band "Headin West" but a tad slower building into quite an atmospheric effort.

No label number but has GM east Detroit in run out. Anyone know it?

Social source share

• 14 years later...

My guess...He would write every day, some commissions - others his own stuff, and when he needed to produce his commissions he would sort the studio and could do some of his own stuff to store trade to sell as well at the same time.

Btw have you noticed... the theme to NYPD blue TV series... mike's used the bridge from afternoon on the rhino. : )

Btw 2...My copy on Soulbeat is ON ...Warner Bros release is OF...the rhino. My guess...Warner bros checked.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!