Soul Revolution

Though to be frank I was legless. I'd been to the Sonics do and managed to use my pass to nip by them as they went on stage to 2000 adoring fans and relieved their dressing room of some Fosters that they clearly weren't treating right. I had a drunken conversation with Mark Lamarr about TY and Kent's beautiful singing daughter Karime who's going to be on his show this week.

I didn't make it to SR until midnightish but had a warm welcome from a friendly bouncer and our very own *KEN*. There was a good crowd in the downstairs main room with young Jill, Trickster, Etsu and Liam, among others, bouncing around for the Channel 4 cameras. The DJs were knocking out some great tunes, James' Time Changes Things sounded great and I even did a bizarre and very embarassibg dance to Mick's Parliaments (I only dance to 4 figure records!).

Steve's bedroom looked very good and I got to meet the Young Mansfield Soul Simpletons; lovely lads who had got away from their carers. What was slightly scary was they didn't know the town's Elephants Of Soul who had terrorised Wilton, the 100 Club and others a decade earlier. Two serious sets of nutters in the same town whose paths have never crossed; bizarre.

Apologies to anyone I sprayed or failed to recognise, I'm a bit out of practice on the booze but am now well primed for Crossfire. Well done James, i thoroughly enjoyed what I can remember and the place seemed full of happy people and great sounds.

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest SteveC

Would just like to add to Ady's comments..........if anyone is considering a new business venture in Bagel takeaway shops I have plenty of stock in my car :lol::shhh::wicked:wink.gif

Guest MickD

... spent most of our time in the soul or nothing room in the company of the attic boys and as such we didn't venture into the main northern room too much, which was probably best as it was a wee bit loud for these old ears (how many mega watts :wicked: ) ... but a most enjoyable evening non the less ... some right royal tunes played in that there bedroom .. and we loved the decor ... you have to see it to believe it folks :lol:

Warm welcome, sublime music, lovely company..... and top scatter cushions LOL

MickD

Edited by MickD

To say we enjoyed ourselves on our little trip to the smoke would be a serious understatement :huh:

I'd like to thank Steve for asking us to spin a few records in the boudoir that is the SON room, top night with great company :thumbsup:

The people of our great capital will be able to sleep more soundly now in the knowledge that Paul's back in the company of his white jacketed friends but thanks for having us and giving us the chance to take him on an outing ph34r.gif

Guest James Trouble

Every Soul Revolution so far there has been a near disaster, so it was no surprise when Thursday afternoon I received a call from the management telling me that the power was down and the Polish workmen were not going to get it repaired untill 4.30pm on Friday at the earliest as the road needed to be dug up. Thankfully all Soul Revolution disasasters have sorted themselves out, so I had a joke about it with the management when they suggested we cancel, and we kept our fingers crossed :D It was a close one, I can tell you that!

We were down on our usual numbers, but still had 200 through the door, which to be honest I was very happy with especially concidering the bad weather and wrecked rail network and a couple of really big events going on elsewhere. The venue were very surprised about how many we had in as they normally shut on bank holiday fridays as Shoreditch is traditionally dead, and it was no expection this time. Hardly a soul on the streets, the rumour is that we were the busiest club in the area! My crazy flyer man Jappy Jimmy Dynamite physically couldn't find anyone to give flyers to :huh: So thanks so much to all who supported, it's totally appreciated and noted especially concidering the weather and wrecked rail networks!

I appologise about the occasional bright lighting from the Channel 4 camara crew, but fingers crossed it'll be worth it in the long run, and I think a few of the dancers enjoyed it really, well done guys and gals, you were looking good out there :thumbsup: They tell me they've got some great footage and they are pleased with the results, if I get any of it before broadcast I'll be sure to get it up on the website...

DJs in the dance hall were terrific, Val's warm up was spot on, not too many as good at that job as she is! A banging DJ set from Karl Heard as he pushed the boundaries and bossed the dance floor, do we expect anything less? He had to deal with a black out 3/4s of the way through his set, sorry about that mate! wink.gif And Mick, class as usual (loved dancing to the Innersouls, man!), his over enthusiastic use of the sound system at one point scared a few people and it was a good job the amps were not turned up full as a couple of members of staff asked me to turn it down a touch as bottles were starting to blow up behind the bar at the same time as a couple of folk were spotted chasing their hats accross the dance floor! We might have to put tape over the windows next party, like in the blitz :D

Huge thanks to Steve for his help with the promotion, and to all who are involved in the Soul Or Nothing room, what you guys are doing, it's special!

Thanks again to everyone, you're a top notch group of people! See you all in May when we have Soul Sam guesting for us, can't be bad thumbup.gif

big thanks to Steve Cato and James Trouble for lettin us into Soul Revolution and Soul or Nothing.The upstairs must have been a former opium den,love the decor!!

Lots of luvvly people in attendance,all there for a party.

Managed to catch some of everyone's spot downstairs,Val Palmer(sorry Val),Karl Heard,JT,and Mick H,all keeping the tempo up and the dancefloor busy.

Back upstairs in the Soul or Nothing Room,the 3 of us from the Attic,were let loose and we really enjoyed it!!.

Bumped into Ady upstairs,had a chat based on my non-attendance of the 100 club(12 years ago),and the benefits of wine drinking.

Said i wasn't going to do this,,,,,,,,,,,but here's some of the buffoonery that was my spot in Soul or Nothing.....

I CAN'T SAY- BETTY EVERETT - ABC

EVERY HOUR,EVERY DAY - G.L. CROCKETT - 4 BROTHERS

LISTEN TO ME - ESQUIRES - STATESIDE

GIRL FROM A COUNTRY TOWN - LEE WILLIAMS - RAPDA

TELL ME WHO - 5 STAIRSTEPS - BUDDAH

SWEET WAY OF LIVING - PEGGY GAINES - REF*O*REE

STAY AWAY FROM ME - PATTI JO - SCEPTER

I'M A BELIEVER - IDRIS MUHAMMAD - PRESTIGE

I'VE NEVER LOVED NOBODY - ORTHEIA BARNES - CORAL

I WON'T BE HURT - SENSATIONS - WAY OUT

LOOK AWAY - SHIRELLES - SCEPTER

I'M GONNA DO IT BY MYSELF - JIMMY ELLIE - JEWEL

YOUR'E THE BOSS - J.RICKS & L.BAKER - ATLANTIC.

Once again,thanks to Steve Cato and James Trouble,we'll have to do it again :thumbsup:

... spent most of our time in the soul or nothing room in the company of the attic boys and as such we didn't venture into the main northern room too much, which was probably best as it was a wee bit loud for these old ears (how many mega watts laugh.gif ) ... but a most enjoyable evening non the less ... some right royal tunes played in that there bedroom .. and we loved the decor ... you have to see it to believe it folks thumbsup.gif

Warm welcome, sublime music, lovely company..... and top scatter cushions LOL

MickD

Top night, i spent most of the time upstairs as well , but came down and had a dance to 'i'm gone'.

Loved it upstairs, definitely go again.

Heres a few that I played in the boudouir

Jay Lyle - How Good Can It Get ( Angel City )

Eddie King - I Talk Too Much ( Big Wheel )

Billy Preston - The Girls Got It ( Capitol )

Wilson Pickett - Let Me Be Your boy ( Verve )

Creations - I've Got To Find Her ( Globe )

Stu Gardner - Never Gonna hurt again ( Revue )

Voice Masters - You've Hurt Me Baby ( Bamboo )

Devotions - Same Old sweet Lovin ( Tri Sound )

Ko Ko Taylor - Fire ( Checker )

M-M & The Peanuts - The Phillie ( Money )

Ray Charles - Something Inside me ( ABC )

Four Sonics - Tell Me you're Mine ( Sepia )

Mike Watson - I Dig Your Kind ( ETAH )

Bernie Moore - I Wanna Be Loved To Death ( Burdett )

Carl Hall - You're so Qualified ( Mercury )

Delfonics - You'll Get Enough ( unissued )

Steve's bedroom looked very good and I got to meet the Young Mansfield Soul Simpletons; lovely lads who had got away from their carers. What was slightly scary was they didn't know the town's Elephants Of Soul who had terrorised Wilton, the 100 Club and others a decade earlier. Two serious sets of nutters in the same town whose paths have never crossed; bizarre.

Good to chat to you Ady, thought the soul elephant reference was simply because you were looking at a wall sized image of Ganesha the Hindu deity with Mick Donnelly sat under it. You were very very drunk, but still making more sense than Big Paul and Steve Lydon.

Strange room, but it definitely works. We enjoyed being there, thanks Steve cato and Lydia for the warm welcome. Enjoyed a couple of dances downstairs, I thought our Kevs second spot upstairs was faultless.

I'm just back from sledging in the lakes so a bit late to post a playlist. However, I am going to go along to Channel four and unplug them as they are mid-way through a news bulletin!!

We'll be back Steve, (does that sound like a threat?)

Just back home after a long long weekend in the smoke.....

Thanks to The Attic boys for coming along and playing in our den, it was not the best event we have had with the Good Friday/events elsewhere and the new entrance downstairs with not finding us tucked away... Its much better to play to a full room but it was a nice crowd as ever, i am sure we will be back to full tilt in May... Thanks also to the Average man for coming all the way from Worcester and not really knowing how he was gonna get back ohmy.gif ,hope to see you again soon mate.... And last but never least Gareth X, a collector dj that really knows what soul is, it was my pleasure as always to listen to these guys...

I was not best pleased with a power failure problem for 10 mins or so and just at the point when the room was pretty full indeed,really pissed off but thats RockN Roll for you, it did not put Dean off his stride...It was down to the film crew wanting to change over some sockets that could have waited to the end :thumbsup: ...

Can't comment on downstairs really but it was looking ok on the odd visit and i got to have dance to some great tracks from Mick for the back end of the night...

Me and James have worked so pretty hard over the past few weeks to get word out there, flyer and spend toooooooooooo many hours on the internet.. Thats whats required to try and make this event something special...We look at every aspect of the promotion,the sound,the decor,flyer design,website,the djs and music that they bring.. Starting the hard work again from tomorrow foir the May 16th event and its gonna be something very very special indeed.. Bearsy 40th birthday,a visit from the Dublin soul club,the return of Adam leaver my resident for so long now...Also got some other quality first time guests with the debut of the drunken landlord from the 100 club :thumbsup: ... We will have some extra folk making the trip with it being the 100 club on the Saturday, another weekend in the smoke..

Was great to meet Mick D from the Different kettle of fish club in Peterborough, so glad you liked you visit and your comments make it all worth while for me.. We aim to bring something a little different indeed as an alternative room should do,we are lovers of many aspects of soul and don't come into the room with blinkers on,we will push underplayed deeper mid tempo always alongside may other forms too.. And last but not least i would like to thank each and every person who made it down on Friday... Its my aim to provide and listen to the sountrack of our lives and could not do it in such a venue without your support..

Always welcome feedback via pms,good or bad and that helps me for future events.. We are never gonna please you all maybe but i will make every effort...

Details below for May event in the Soul Or Nothing room...

Paul Grant.... ..............Dublin soul club...

Ady Croasdell..............100 club and Mr Cleethorpes..

Adam Leaver...............Soul Or Nothing resident..

Baz............................Soul source ex mod and stunt man for Ronnie Corbett

Steve Brazil................ Leeds soul dj..

Matt Male.................... Soul source collector and dj...

Edited by little-stevie

Starting the hard work again from tomorrow foir the May 16th event and its gonna be something very very special indeed.. Bearsy 40th birthday,a visit from the Dublin soul club,the return of Adam leaver my resident fora so long now and a dj i rate so high...Also got some other quality first time guests with the debut of the drunken landlord from the 100 club :thumbsup: ...

Details below for May event in the Soul Or Nothing room...

Paul Grant.... ..............Dublin soul club...

Ady Croasdell..............100 club and Mr Cleethorpes..

Steve Csordas.............The mouth from the south...

Adam Leaver...............Soul Or Nothing resident..

Baz............................Soul source ex mod and stunt man for Ronnie Corbett

Steve Brazil................ Leeds soul dj..

Matt Male.................... Soul source collector and dj...

Very interesting as my mate was on about attending for his 40th as well! :thumbsup:

Guest Bearsy

Very interesting as my mate was on about attending for his 40th as well! g.gif

you aint got no mates Ian :lol: i told you a million times dont keep lying :hypo:

im doing the 100 Club the next night so someone you know who is my mate will be there so dont worry biggrin.gif Ian you coming to either as it would be great to get a beer off you mate :lol: just to clear things, my birthday is on the Saturday so i will see it in at Soul Revelution and end it at the 100 Club :wicked: might even have a few beers Sunday afternoon too :ohmy: fook monday im taking the day off :shhh:

Considering it was a Good Friday I thought you done a great job James, Steve et al. Nice to meet you Kev, some lovely tunes played by you and the Attic crew. I look forward to the May installment. yes.gif

Guest SteveC

In a more serious vane............musically downstairs was spot on. Uptempo and loud yet clear with JT's new Glastonbury system!!!!! How I managed it up there I do not know - I'm still not right from the bug I contracted on Thursday but many friends were at hand to assist in my temporary recovery and it "seemed" that the endless dancing would sweat the b******* out. It worked "temporarily"!!!

I usually spend a lot more time upstairs at Stevies room coz p there even the genre's of soul I'm not so attracted to always spring a surprise from his alternative DJ's but when I did venture up there it was throbbing.

Back downstairs, Karl Heards set blew me away as always, with his raw, gritty and aggressive style which we both have in common.

Vals open door set wasperfectly Val with nothing but class tunes and James was James. Mick H - maestro as ever. So sorry I couldn't say goodbye m8.

Two tracks of the night for me - Pacesetters - I'm gonna make it (which I was fortunate to obtain within 24 hrs) and Jame's Basement Jaxx - HOOFING!!!!

Looking forward to May already.

Many thanks to Nurse Lydia Nightingale for looking after me thru the night. :thumbsup:

Guest Goldwax

Another excellent night at SR. Things started well late afternoon on Friday with Stevie & Lydia showing off their star credentials by turning up at our flat with their very own film crew. Half an hour acting as assistant locations manager and a hop on the 149 bus later and it was frothy Belgium beers and a good natter with the lads down from Mansfield (great to meet you chaps). I love this venue and the rooms compliment the styles played perfectly with low ceilings and decent dance floor for the up-tempo downstairs (decks at the end work much better) and Stevie's boudoir for the deep and mid stuff the perfect compliment. Tunes played were as diverse as ever - stand out sets for me from Gareth upstairs and Mick H drawing the last of the energy left in me downstairs. Thanks to all involved and Roll on May!

Best night I've been to in a while. James always plays a few surprises, didn't matter that some were a hundred miles an hour, it was fantastic, he has major balls. And, as always, la creme from Gareth upstairs in Steve's seedy bedroom, just like a great evening in Manchester!