Unusual Favourite Singers

I just posted this up in Freebasing about George Harrison and thought it might make an interesting topic here.

And of course his #1 I Got My Mind Set On You was one of the most obscure soul covers ever being a small label release from James Ray. I actually met a charming American girl on Friday night whose favourite singers are James Ray and Herbie Goins. Like Darrow Fletcher, it's interesting that some singers you never particularly rated can be someone else's all time faves.

My own favourite is Lou Johnson which may not be that unusual, though I've not seen anyone else list him as their #1.

Social source share

• Replies 50
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I just posted this up in Freebasing about George Harrison and thought it might make an interesting topic here.

And of course his #1 I Got My Mind Set On You was one of the most obscure soul covers ever being a small label release from James Ray. I actually met a charming American girl on Friday night whose favourite singers are James Ray and Herbie Goins. Like Darrow Fletcher, it's interesting that some singers you never particularly rated can be someone else's all time faves.

My own favourite is Lou Johnson which may not be that unusual, though I've not seen anyone else list him as their #1.

Hoagy Lands is fast becoming my favourite Ady , known by me for years only for " The next in line " since he appeared at Cleethorpes I've been collecting his sides , everything he recorded to my ears is superb so far , think he cut about 17 ' 45's - got about 10 so far .Interesting subject ,and Lou Johnson is a great choice as well .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

As long as we're talking singers here rather than favourite artists, I make no secret of who mine is. I've cited him before up here - Little Willie John.

I know a lot of Sourcers like him but, as with Ady's Lou Johnson choice, how many besides me would have LWJ as their # 1?

Johnny Tanner of the '5' Royales would have to run LWJ a close second, I think. And funnily enough, James Ray would probably come third. (I'm hoping that we might be able to release a James Ray anthology on Kent sometime in the next 12 months, BTW).

Away from soul, it's got to be a toss-up between Anthony Newley, Bobby Darin and Al Bowlly. I have over 100 albums by the three of them combined - 34 by Bowlly alone...

Social source share

As long as we're talking singers here rather than favourite artists, I make no secret of who mine is. I've cited him before up here - Little Willie John.

I know a lot of Sourcers like him but, as with Ady's Lou Johnson choice, how many besides me would have LWJ as their # 1?

Johnny Tanner of the '5' Royales would have to run LWJ a close second, I think. And funnily enough, James Ray would probably come third. (I'm hoping that we might be able to release a James Ray anthology on Kent sometime in the next 12 months, BTW).

Away from soul, it's got to be a toss-up between Anthony Newley, Bobby Darin and Al Bowlly. I have over 100 albums by the three of them combined - 34 by Bowlly alone...

LOVE AL BOWLLY, MUST HAVE 100 78'S BY HIM WITH VARIOUS DANCE BANDS.

BRI.

Social source share

LOVE AL BOWLLY, MUST HAVE 100 78'S BY HIM WITH VARIOUS DANCE BANDS.

BRI.

Thank God I can now come out of the closet - I am not alone in my appreciation of Al Bowlly ........

I have always loved AB voice since the first time of hearing it - no , it was not during WWII :lol: - it just has that magical quality that never ceases to please me .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thank God I can now come out of the closet - I am not alone in my appreciation of Al Bowlly ........

I have always loved AB voice since the first time of hearing it - no , it was not during WWII :wicked: - it just has that magical quality that never ceases to please me .......

Malc Burton

Here's a staggerting statistic for you, Malc and Bri - in a recording career that spanned just 13 years, Al's 'vocal refrain's graced just a few short of 1000 (that's one thousand!) recordings. It's a measure of his consitency that less than 20 of that 1000 were unreleased at the time of their recording, mostly for reasons that are lost to the passage of time.

Compare that to most of today's 'Pop Idols' who seem to struggle to release one new album every two to three years...

It used to be said of Al that he was "Britain's Bing Crosby". I think that the truth of the matter was that Crosby was "America's Al Bowlly" :lol:

Social source share

Wasn't he a sort of "test driver" for Bacrach & David, if a song worked with him they'd shove it

out to someone like Dionne Warwick. I always felt that he's the sort of bloke you'd like to

have living next door to, by all accounts a top type guy and a wonderful singer to boot.

If it's a white pop singer then my fav is Elaine McFarlane, it's a sort of a puberty thing :wicked:

as for a soul one then probably Chris Bartley, although it may well be that Van McCoy

could make you even sound good Ady :lol:

Chris L

Social source share

Eddie, I think Hoagy is highly rated by several diehard soul fans and he was a bit of a troubled genius like James Carr and Darrow.

Lou Johnson did some of Dionne's numbers and transformed them into Deep Soul in my opinion. Some of his best stuff was with Giant, Baum & Kaye other top Brill Building/1650 writers.

If we're going back to the war I'll bagsy Paul Robeson and Flanagan & Allen but not together. Tony I've got 200 dance band LPs for you if you can drag the family to Bexhill in the next few weeks.

Toby, we weren't asking about your first erection!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony I've got 200 dance band LPs for you if you can drag the family to Bexhill in the next few weeks.

...you're on - we'll discuss it further next time we're both in the office....

Social source share

I concurr. Lou Johnson had so much emotion in his voice I can't believe he isn't more revered. Didn't have much luck though did he? What's the Volt album like? I've never heard any of his later stuff but I figure it'll be hard to beat the Bacharach/David/Brill Building era....

Also love Bobby Darin.....wouldn't have minded Lou bashing out "Mack The Knife" either LOL......

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

my vote goes for billy stewart, also when you read about the man it sort of makes his music sound even better, lots of billy comps around for a few quid well worth investing in

Yes , great choice ,Billy had such a unique vocal style didn't he ? Virtually everything I've ever heard by him is wonderful .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Karen played - If I never get to love you - this morning. You wont like my opined view. I said to her - This just sounds like a Drifters tribute act. :thumbsup:

Sorry.

Social source share

GOOD THREAD AWAY FROM SOUL WHICH IS WHERE I AM ALOT THESE DAYS ALOT OF THE GOSPEL STUFF IS REALLY APPEALING TO ME,I SUPPOSE ITS TOOK ME LONG ENOUGH TO GET THERE BUT NOW THERE THE ARTISTES I SEEM TO PLAY MORE THAN THE OHTERS ARE THE MASTERS OF ZION,SOUL STIRRERS AND SISTER BIRTHA ROBINSON,I LOVE ALOT OF AMERICAM FOLK STUFF AND AM A BIG NEIL YOUNG FAN,LISTEN ALOT TO JOHNNY CASH ALSO AND DONT MIND A BIT OF NICK CAVE ALSO.

FAV SOUL SINGER WOULD NOT KNOW WHERE TO START BUT WOMACK AND A CERTAIN DAVID RUFFIN,NEVER GO ASTRAY IN THE ATKINSON HOUSEHOLD,ADDED CURTIS MAYFIELD AND HIS WORK TO THAT AND WE MIGHT BE GETTING SOMEWHERE!

BAZ A :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Undoubtedly my vote goes to Richard Caiton, particularly for 'I like to get near you', 'Where is the love' and 'I see love girl in your eyes'. Absolute perfection to my ears.

Brian :thumbsup:

Social source share

Here's a staggerting statistic for you, Malc and Bri - in a recording career that spanned just 13 years, Al's 'vocal refrain's graced just a few short of 1000 (that's one thousand!) recordings. It's a measure of his consitency that less than 20 of that 1000 were unreleased at the time of their recording, mostly for reasons that are lost to the passage of time.

Compare that to most of today's 'Pop Idols' who seem to struggle to release one new album every two to three years...

It used to be said of Al that he was "Britain's Bing Crosby". I think that the truth of the matter was that Crosby was "America's Al Bowlly" :thumbsup:

COULD EASILY BE SAID THAT THE VOCALISTS THESE DAYS DON'T LIKE IT UP EM, BUT THEN AGEN.

BRI" I'D BE SO EASY TO LOVE" PINCH.

Social source share

Staying away from soul singers for a change here's a few whose voices i love

Kate Rusby

Alison Moorer

Shelby Lynne

Martha Wainwright

Nick Drake

Van Morrison

Derek

Edited by blackwhite
Social source share

If we're avoiding the obvious (Womack, Carr, Ruffin, Dees, Hutch, Jones, Jackson, Knight etc.) The voice of Bobby McClure is one of the most underrated in the Soul world.

Just blows me away on almost everything he ever recorded.

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Staying away from soul singers for a change here's a few whose voices i love

Kate Rusby

Alison Moorer

Shelby Lynne

Martha Wainwright

Nick Drake

Van Morrison

Derek

dont laugh but I will listen to anything by glen campbell, just think this guy really has got it, galveston oh galveston, started me off now.

Social source share

favourite soul singer ...Chuck Jackson...(very very similiar to Lou in voice). so Lou is probably a top 5-er.

I HAVE TO ADD...what a low down dirty shame that DOUGLAS BANKS recorded so few songs :(angry.gif ....from that early middle section of the sixties....If he would have had the same output as Chuck...or ROY HAMILTON for that matter, there wouldn't have been many who could have argued against such a master-emotive songster!!!! a proper crooner. :yes:

As for none soul...one voice and song always sticks out for me Orvil.. whistling.gif i wish i could fly whistling.gif right up to the sky whistling.gif but a can't....YOU CAN.. whistling.gif a caaaaann't.

only matched in depth of emotion by dougy himself!!

seriously though, as recognition to a vocalist you have to say sir Elton....BFP :shhh:

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

One of my favourite non soul singers is Matt Munro, but i think Tyrone Davis is the bizz i dont think he has ever done a bad record of the loads he has done

cheers Ralph

Social source share

my vote goes for billy stewart, also when you read about the man it sort of makes his music sound even better, lots of billy comps around for a few quid well worth investing in

yes Billy for me to

i love his 'summertime' and 'ole man river'

Social source share

I have always loved AB voice since the first time of hearing it - no , it was not during WWII :D - it just has that magical quality that never ceases to please me .......

Malc Burton

Did you see the documentary about Al Bowlly on BBC 4 a month or so ago?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

:yes::yes::yes: HHHHOOOOWWWWW..VERY DARE YOU!! DO YOU LIKE DISCO MUSIC? :yes:

I've thrashed myself in pennance.

Mind you I had been listening to Nat King Cole on Sunday morning, so in comparrison everybody sounds less good than normal.

Social source share

I've thrashed myself in pennance.

Mind you I had been listening to Nat King Cole on Sunday morning, so in comparrison everybody sounds less good than normal.

Nat King Cole - a master. Others on my list are Tony Bennet, Donny Hathaway, Dori Grayson (who?), Karen Carpenter, Connie Francis, Brenda Lee, Billy Brag, Tracy Thorn and Dionne Warick. An eclectic mix you might say.

Warren

Social source share

Listening to Willie tee twice on the decks last night and I must say his singing is superb; a surprise breakthrough into my top 5.

Cor Blimey Ady... Mr Turbinton's never been out of mine!

Next to Gene Chandler he's the absolute 'slickest' deliverer of a good lyric in the history of the world!

Could listen to him all night.

Just a tremendous vocalist.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Did you see the documentary about Al Bowlly on BBC 4 a month or so ago?

I eagerly awaited the programme , but .........

Like with other BBC4 programmes which deal with real personality matter , the programme on AB could have given more time to the actual subject, rather than to the fawnings of admirers : but despite this , I felt it gave a creditable insight into the talent of the man .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I eagerly awaited the programme , but .........

Like with other BBC4 programmes which deal with real personality matter , the programme on AB could have given more time to the actual subject, rather than to the fawnings of admirers : but despite this , I felt it gave a creditable insight into the talent of the man .......

Malc Burton

Can't really agree with your 'fawnings of admirers' bit, Malc - at least the programme interviewed genuine celebrity Bowlly fans, who obviously knew something about his career and recordings, unlike some of those 'I remember the 60s' type shows where they wheel out the likes of Jamie Theakston and the dreadful Gina Yashere to say things like "the 60s....they were great...yeahhahahahahahaha...."

All of the 'talking heads' spoke with intellingence and perception, and I personaly thought it was one of the best music documentaries in some years. But then, with Al as the subject matter, how could it not be?

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I have always loved AB voice since the first time of hearing it - no , it was not during WWII :thumbsup: - it just has that magical quality that never ceases to please me .......

Malc Burton

Malc, the clip made me go a bit weepy - reminded me of my dad who did a very fair rendition of 'The Very Thought'....Al's the man for me - no-one could come close with his deft vocals.....with the exception of Nat King Cole who is second on the list. Doris Day would be third along with Julie London fourth and Ella fifth.....and if you're twisting my arm, Eddie Jefferson sixth, Tony Bennett seventh, Frank eighth, Matt Monroe ninth....and Billy McKenzie tenth :thumbsup: Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest Soulshake

Don't know if anyone mentioned "Rance Allen" god is wonderful, what a mindblowing and unique vocal that is.

And on a new tip, JJ GREY and MOFRO, the last record "country ghetto" has some really fantastic blue eyed soul singing goin on, remind's me of donny hathaway mixed with a touch of frankie miller and a bit of lowell george thrown in, a top record.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Malc, the clip made me go a bit weepy - reminded me of my dad who did a very fair rendition of 'The Very Thought'....Al's the man for me - no-one could come close with his deft vocals.....with the exception of Nat King Cole who is second on the list. Doris Day would be third along with Julie London fourth and Ella fifth.....and if you're twisting my arm, Eddie Jefferson sixth, Tony Bennett seventh, Frank eighth, Matt Monroe ninth....and Billy McKenzie tenth :lol: Jo

You had me until Billy "Stop Shoving That Sharp Stick Up Me Bum" McKenzie, Jo....

Social source share

Whilst not a soul singer by any means, one of my firm faves has to be Billy Fury. As well as his faithful emulation of American RnR and Rockabilly (most apparent on his "Sound Of Fury" LP), he had a voice never to be matched by anyone else. He also did cover a few soul/doo-wop-type originals, including "Letter Full Of Tears" by Don Covay, "All I Wanna Do Is Cry" by Billy Bland, "A Thousand Stars" by The Rivileers, etc. He was also consistently changing his style to fit in with what was in vogue at the time; in fact by 1962 he had given up his rockin' style and began to sing beat and ballads, which would have blended in well at the time.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

You had me until Billy "Stop Shoving That Sharp Stick Up Me Bum" McKenzie, Jo....

oh alright.....I'll swop Billy for Alma Cogan....just for you :lol: It was a toss up between the two :lol:

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

For the most unique, moving and extremely influential of voices my choice would be Mr. Jimmy Ricks. From his years with the Ravens to singing with count Basie's band - NO ONE could match his combination of emotion and depth of bass.

Social source share

oh alright.....I'll swop Billy for Alma Cogan....just for you laugh.gif It was a toss up between the two :rolleyes:

The mention of her name just makes me go all unnecessary biggrin.gif .............

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

oh alright.....I'll swop Billy for Alma Cogan....just for you laugh.gif It was a toss up between the two :rolleyes:

You loveable dre-e-eam boat! laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Favourite female artist is Margie Joseph. I don't think it's an unusual choice but not many people have her as their favourite female artist.

Absolutely stunning voice. "I cant move no mountains" one of the best records ever as is "One more chance" "Come on Back to me lover" and she does a great version of Al Green's "Lets stay together" plus lots of other excellent tracks.

Social source share

Guest mcleanmuir

Doris Day, Barbra Streisand and Dusty.

I once saw Clifton Dyson do a PA in a small club, just a mike no echo and all that stuff. He was great.

Social source share

Guest Soulshake

Had to give a shout out to Richard dunbar and jimmy diggs, "temptation bout to get me", "i'm never gonna live it down" and "i owe her my life" kills me everytime. I always think of the knight brothers as the rich mans sam and dave, and sam moore's unbelievable!!

I'd read somewhere jimmy diggs was in a bad way, where is the great man now, his songwriting was second to none, fantastic.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!