Blues In The Night - Female Version

A mate was asking last night at Barnburgh who the female version of Blues In The Night was by - I haven't got a clue and asked about but noone seemed to know. Can anyone enlighten me so that I can put my mate out of his misery. Also if anyone has a sound clip that would be greatly appreciated (I can't get Refosoul working to check if there's already one on here).

Cheers

Av

Manifesto Soul Club

Kellingley Club

Marine Villa Road

Knottingley

West Yorkshire

WF11 8ER

2nd Friday of every month

Next date - Friday 11 April - Guest DJs Woody & Nel (Empress Ballroom, Mexborough)

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thanks Playfair - has anyone got a soundfile of this version?

Av

It's actually credited just to 'Patsy' on the 45 label, but Millicent Todd is Patsy's real name.

This is an expensive record in reggae circles, the other side is a nyahbinghi instrumental featuring Count Ossie and Lennie Hibbert and that's where the value lies for reggae collectors.

Can't do soundfiles but here's a scan of the label for you:

TONE

Social source share

It's actually credited just to 'Patsy' on the 45 label, but Millicent Todd is Patsy's real name.

This is an expensive record in reggae circles, the other side is a nyahbinghi instrumental featuring Count Ossie and Lennie Hibbert and that's where the value lies for reggae collectors.

TONE

IN MY OPINION A MUCH BETTER VERSION THAN THE JOHNNY TAYLOR CUT

PRICE ON THIS 45 ANYONE?

WAZZ

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

TONE

I've got a rather tedious cover of a Johnny Lytle track on the b side of mine (The Loop perhaps?). Bought it for the Patsy side myself, which is nice enough but was surprised the first time I ever heard anyone bother to play it out. Smacks of scraping the barrel for a northern soul track IMHO.

Daffy Duck's version takes it for me....maybe one for the popcorn CD?

Anyhow, loads of covers listed here, maybe worth investigating a few:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_in_the_Night

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've got a rather tedious cover of a Johnny Lytle track on the b side of mine (The Loop perhaps?).

You're right, it's "The Loop" - albeit retitled 'Pure Soul' - and I didn't say it was good, merely that it was a nyahbinghi instrumental that goes for a fair bit of money in reggae circles. Just like a lot of crap soul 45s go for silly money while you can still get Little Dooley on North Bay or Red Ruby for less than the price of a round of ale...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!