Bestwood Soul Club

A big thanks from steve and john to all who attended last nights event.Was a lttle down in numbers but that was expected but still not a bad turn out.

The night in general went well.I think some punters were put off by the guest djs choice of plays.They decided to go down the 70s modern route etc and it wasnt everyones cup of tea.In general its an open box and you can play what you want but empty dance floor at ten o clock should tell you something.

Some where put off by this and said that they would not return.Just like to say that Bestwood is not like that and most of the time it plays a good mix of music.

I had a good time.Always do.next ones in May with Pat Wallace and Barry Copper

heres a few i played at the start,not in the order

MANHATTENS-ALL I NEED IS YOUR LOVE-CARNIVAL

CALVIN WILLIAMS-LONELY YOU'LL BE-NORTHERN DEL-LA RECORD COMPANY

FOUR LARKS-I STILL LOVE YOU-TOWER ISSUE

LEROY TAYLOR-OH LINDA-BRUNSWICK ISSUE

SCOTT BROS-WE LIKE GIRLS-ZACHRON

PAT LEWIS-LOOK WHAT I ALMOST MISSED-SOLID HIT DJ

ADMIRATIONS-DONT LEAVE ME-ONE-DERFUL

JERRY FULLER-THE KILLER CHALLANGE

GARNET MIMMS-PROVE IT TO ME UA ISSUE

ARTISTICS-IN ANOTHER MANS ARMS-OKEH DEMO

BILLY BUTLER-YOU'RE GONNA BE SORRY-OKEH DEMO

IMPRESSIONS-TALKING BOUT MY BABY-UK HMV EP

MAJOR LANCE-IM THE ONE-UK COLUMBIA ISSUE

DON RAY SAMSON-BABY COME BACK E RECORDS ISSUE

SAINTS-IVE BEEN TAKEN FOR A RIDE KENT ISSUE

REFLECTIONS-JUNE BRIDEGOLDEN WORLD ISSUE

SYMPHONICS-NO MORE-BRUNSWICK DEMO

TONI BASIL-BREAKAWAY-A&M DEMO

OBREY WILSON-IF YOU WERE THERE-COLUMBIA DEMO

MIRACLES DETERMINATION-COOKIN WITH LP

AMBERS-ANOTHER LOVE-SMASH ISSUE

PICK & BILL-TALK ABOUT LOVE-BELTER

JOE HINTON-GOT YOU ON MY MIND-BACKBEAT ISSUE

TEMPESTS-OUT OF MY LIFE-SMASH ISSUE

CARL CARLTON-I CAN FEEL IT-BACKBEAT PROMO

CLYDIE KING/MEL CARTER-WHO DO YOU LOVE-PHILLIPS ISSUE

DOROTHY WILLIAMS-WATCHDOG-VOLT ISSUE

FREDDIE GORMAN-JUST FOR YOU-MIRACLE DEMO

MELVIN CARTER-TEACHER OF LOVE-PEACOCK PROMO

HERBERT HUNTER-HAPPY GO LUCKY-SPAR ISSUE

TYREE GLENN-YESTERDAY-SUE ISSUE

JAMES CONWELL-THE TROUBLE WITH THE GIRLS-4J RECORDS ISSUE

GEORGE WYDELL-FROM OUT OF NOWHERE-TRC ISSUE

HESITATIONS I'LL BE RIGHT THERE-KAPP DEMO

VOLUMES-I GOT LOVE-TWIRL DEMO

SHEPPARDS-STUBBORN HEART JAYBOY DEMO

ARCHIE BELL 1000 WONDERS-ATLANTIC DEMO LP

METROS-I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU-LP

TOMMY GOOD-BABY I MISS YOU-GORDY

HOWARD GUYTON-I WATCHED YOU SLOWLY SLIP AWAY-VERVE DJ

PATTI AUSTIN-IVE GIVEN YOU ALL MY LOVE-CORAL DEMO

and maybe a few more,cant remember

Edited by JMYTG
  • Replies 17
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A big thanks from steve and john to all who attended last nights event.Was a lttle down in numbers but that was expected but still not a bad turn out.

The night in general went well.I think some punters were put off by the guest djs choice of plays.They decided to go down the 70s modern route etc and it wasnt everyones cup of tea.In general its an open box and you can play what you want but empty dance floor at ten o clock should tell you something.

Some where put off by this and said that they would not return.Just like to say that Bestwood is not like that and most of the time it plays a good mix of music.

yep good night , had a good laugh and a dance or two,guest DJ's seemed a bit hit and miss,dont think they quite new what to do with us..enjoyed it though

Bazza

Twas a great night, me and Annette had a blast. I bet nearly every bloke ( and blokette) had been decoratin in the afternoon bein easter bank holiday and all that.

I did'nt dance as much as I would normally but that's no reflection on the Djs, just glad to sit down and chill after been up a ladder!

Lookin forward to spinning a few tunes next time around.

Keep up the good work, Bestwood is a top venue.

Pat Wallace

unsure.gifwe agree.................

but all credit to you as we thought that you did a cracking spot (in fact the best) shame you was on so damn early :huh: ............

..... so with your spot plus great company we had a good night....... :thumbsup:

credit to you.......

luv

Betty N Andy

x

Guest Fatius Bumius

Not having a favourite DJ or being one to creep big time but Jim played the best spot, just my opinion though :lol: (now pay me !) Barry Cooper timed it right, straight in the door and just by coincidence, Metros was cued up...so on the dancefloor he went, bless him cool.gif

Night took on a bit of a (lot of a) modern flavour. My brains not geared up for too much modern in one go :lol: I didn't get a dance till 11.30 when a bit of R&B got an airing. Fancy waking me up when it finished at 12 pfffffffft :D Even with a modern flavour it's got to be better than a night of 100mph stomping oldies so why am I moaning ? :lol:

Pat Wallace, Barry Cooper, and Jim are the guest DJ's for the next one, should make for a good night (and I'll have NOWT to moan about :thumbsup: )

Till next time :)

unsure.gifwe agree.................

but all credit to you as we thought that you did a cracking spot (in fact the best) shame you was on so damn early huh.gif ............

..... so with your spot plus great company we had a good night....... rolleyes.gif

credit to you.......

luv

Betty N Andy

x

HELLO BETTY N ANDY !

nice to see you at bestwood and glad you liked the tunes.Not sure about being the best spot,all i try and do is play decent soul.Most stuff is tried and tested but alot on my list just doesnt get plays at notts events for some reason.I know its not because they are overplayed thats for sure,i think its more the fact that SOME LOCAL PROMOTERS AND DJS dont know them or have not got um.Next Bestwood shall have a totally different play list again

CHEERS ALL THE BEST thumbsup.gif

good stuff Jim,bet they had to drag you from behind the decks laugh.gif .KEV.

good stuff Jim,bet they had to drag you from behind the decks laugh.gif .KEV.

Hey up kev thumbsup.gif

There was alot of stuff i wanted to play that i didnt have time for.Maybe next time,i think i take too many with me and alot gets missed or i cant find it in me boxes laugh.gif

see you soon chap thumbsup.gif

Not having a favourite DJ or being one to creep big time but Jim played the best spot, just my opinion though :( (now pay me !) Barry Cooper timed it right, straight in the door and just by coincidence, Metros was cued up...so on the dancefloor he went, bless him cool.gif

Night took on a bit of a (lot of a) modern flavour. My brains not geared up for too much modern in one go :shhh: I didn't get a dance till 11.30 when a bit of R&B got an airing. Fancy waking me up when it finished at 12 pfffffffft :D Even with a modern flavour it's got to be better than a night of 100mph stomping oldies so why am I moaning ? :(

Pat Wallace, Barry Cooper, and Jim are the guest DJ's for the next one, should make for a good night (and I'll have NOWT to moan about :D )

Till next time :thumbsup:

so you prefer an empty dancefloor to a full one.

Guest Fatius Bumius

Errr, well for most of the night the dancefloor was empty, right up until 10, even when a few ventured on it, there was only just that...A FEW. Did you go ? Not many in during Jim's spot, about 8.45 when he came off saw folks coming through the door.

Infact I do prefer an empty dancefloor to a full one dancing to stompers yep, prefer an empty-ish dancefloor of folks who are prepared to listen to a few underplayed tracks.

So what's your point ??? Scared I'll pop along to one of your venues and do a true lookback ? :yes: NER NER. What's the point of a lookback if ya canna say what ya think?? Just how I saw the night that's all. I support every Bestwood, always have. It was just last Saturdays do didn't really knock any cobwebs out of my arsecrack.

I wish to amend my lookback to conform to what folks like to read Sir : -

~~~~ Standardised Lookback Form - copy & paste and delete as applicable * ~~~~

What a *great/fab/brill night I had. *All/Every* DJ played the top dogs danglies of records I have ever heard in my *life *existance* and I never got my *feet * arse* body* off the dancefloor.

Keep the faith soul brother, right at'cha :yes:

Infact I do prefer an empty dancefloor to a full one dancing to stompers yep, prefer an empty-ish dancefloor of folks who are prepared to listen to a few underplayed tracks.

)

)

(

here here, well said............... TRANDY'S POLICY EXACTLY.................. "FOLKS WHO ARE PREPARED TO LISTEN TO A FEW UNDERPLAYED TRACKS"........................ keep it up Jim............ we loved your spot (AS WE STATED EARLIER YOUR SPOT WAS THE BEST - TAKE A WELL DESERVED COMPLIMENT) and we look forward to you playing at our venue in the near future................

Betty N Andy

TRANDY SOUL CLUB, nottingham

Hello again and thanks and i will.ive done the oldies thing and still have a few quality ones that dont get heard.Glad you are keeping the trandy club going just on the fact that you want to play something different.Its not going to be easy but at the end of the day you cant beat doing something that you believe in and have passion for.You will get a crowd in and it will be the right one if you do things right.

Just going back to my list,there are alot of olides on there and i bet a few have been hammerd in other places around the country.As i said all tried and tested just not in notts over the last ten years or so

Hi Guys

Well for one I thought Bestwood was a good night, and all the people that was with me thought so too, ok numbers a little down but hey it's Easter, I danced most of the night sure a couple of tunes cleared the floor but so what, a night's what you make it, I'm sure some people come with the idea that their not going to like it before they even get there, Bestwood is a across the board venue and that what it the night was.

I thought the DJ's tried very hard to play what they thought people wanted for instance Tony played The Spinners " I Just Can't Help But Feel The Pain" on Motown, a 1965 tune and a good oldie but only a couple of us danced to it, so what does the DJ do? they played R&B later which is not for me (Sorry Bazza) but others liked it so there was something for everyone.

There is always someone going to complain but don't forget the silent majority and remember "Don't let the tail wag the dog"

We came away from Bestwood thinking what a good night it was,this is a great venue so keep up the good work Steve.

See you in May.

Barry

Hi Guys

Well for one I thought Bestwood was a good night, and all the people that was with me thought so too, ok numbers a little down but hey it's Easter, I danced most of the night sure a couple of tunes cleared the floor but so what, a night's what you make it, I'm sure some people come with the idea that their not going to like it before they even get there, Bestwood is a across the board venue and that what it the night was.

I thought the DJ's tried very hard to play what they thought people wanted for instance Tony played The Spinners " I Just Can't Help But Feel The Pain" on Motown, a 1965 tune and a good oldie but only a couple of us danced to it, so what does the DJ do? they played R&B later which is not for me (Sorry Bazza) but others liked it so there was something for everyone.

There is always someone going to complain but don't forget the silent majority and remember "Don't let the tail wag the dog"

We came away from Bestwood thinking what a good night it was,this is a great venue so keep up the good work Steve.

See you in May.

Barry

Didn't go to this gig for reasons mentioned earlier by the wife. Don't want to be controversial either but when we get the the point where the "don't let the tail wag the Dog" situation arises then I suspect it wont be long before you find yourself not just Djing to an empty dance floor but to an empty venue.

The scene is now peppered with split venues (see Bazzas thread) and gigs are now closed because the promoters wanted to 'educate' the punters. 2 of these gigs once opened their doors not 20 miles from where i live.

without paying punters you play to an empty room.

Having said that Jims list looks spot on to me with a favorite tune of mine at the top of the list.

chris

Edited by bridget

Hello Coopers,yes Barry people slag Bestwood off all the time mate,i know,i have so called friends that do.My comments where just what i heard from a couple of people on the night.I just think its good to be true about the night.I always enjoy Bestwood always have,think ive missed two maybe in the time its been running,even when it was playing lots of modern and 70s i still went.

Im sure the one in may is going to be totally different again,which is what makes Bestwood so good,you never know whats coming.

HEY BARRY the metros is all yours on the night,i want to dance to it :thumbsup::thumbsup: