Luton - Top Night - Never Fails To Deliver

To be open and honest I was a little concerned how Luton was going to turn out last night. I knew I had no concerns over the the musical delights it would offer and apart from Pete & Sean who never fail to deliver top music, the added bonus of Kenny Burrell, Des Parker & Keith Woon I just knew it was going to be a top night.

The fact that it was the easter weekend, bank holidays always have and affect on numbers, people away and doing family stuff combine that with 2 events in Northants area, London and the surrounding areas a virtual hotbed of soul nights and the fact that the rest of the SS LAAS/Rugby girls had left me to travel up to USS in Holmes Chapell (which is another top night well worth the travel and I must admit I was very tempted) but it did mean I did get the house slave, Tabs, all to myself to cater just to my needs laugh.gif . I digress........."don't you always", I hear you say "just get on with it woman"...................

I was picked up at about 8 by Anne, Tony & Hammie as soon as I got in the car the phone rang, it was Toby informing us that the road to the rugby club was shut and giving us instructions of an alternative route, Hammie & Tony were sure they sort of :D knew the alternative route. When we got to luton an hour later after picking Christine up we thought that they may of opened the road by then only to find it was still shut so Tony and Hammie managed to find the other way, aided by much back seat driving from us girlies fuelled with a bottle of ready mix vodka & coke.

Eventually we got there about 9ish to find a virtual empty car park and my concerns grew, but by about 10pm the place had filled up quite a bit and the faithfull and good had found there way :thumbsup: and deffo "up for it". Even with slightly lower numbers than usual the great atmosphere that this place always delivers was in abundance.

Musically, I don't really need to say much, just look at the line-up, it was never going to be anything else but brilliant..........there is not much else I can add only that Kenny Burrell just brought out one top tune after another, but you all know he never does anything else...................Kenny, as Bruce Forsythe would say "your still my favorite" :D

Great to catch up with loads of people..you know who you are and especially to finally be formally introduced to "Dennis" sorry Danny :huh: .

Thanks to Pete and Sean for another top night thumbup.gif

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
  • Replies 15
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

To be open and honest I was a little concerned how Luton was going to turn out last night. I knew I had no concerns over the the musical delights it would offer and apart from Pete & Sean who never fail to deliver top music, the added bonus of Kenny Burrell, Des Parker & Keith Woon I just knew it was going to be a top night.

The fact that it was the easter weekend, bank holidays always have and affect on numbers, people away and doing family stuff combine that with 2 events in Northants area, London and the surrounding areas a virtual hotbed of soul nights and the fact that the rest of the SS LAAS/Rugby girls had left me to travel up to USS in Holmes Chapell (which is another top night well worth the travel and I must admit I was very tempted) but it did mean I did get the house slave, Tabs, all to myself to cater just to my needs laugh.gif . I digress........."don't you always", I hear you say "just get on with it woman"...................

I was picked up at about 8 by Anne, Tony & Hammie as soon as I got in the car the phone rang, it was Toby informing us that the road to the rugby club was shut and giving us instructions of an alternative route, Hammie & Tony were sure they sort of :D knew the alternative route. When we got to luton an hour later after picking Christine up we thought that they may of opened the road by then only to find it was still shut so Tony and Hammie managed to find the other way, aided by much back seat driving from us girlies fuelled with a bottle of ready mix vodka & coke.

Eventually we got there about 9ish to find a virtual empty car park and my concerns grew, but by about 10pm the place had filled up quite a bit and the faithfull and good had found there way :thumbsup: and deffo "up for it". Even with slightly lower numbers than usual the great atmosphere that this place always delivers was in abundance.

Musically, I don't really need to say much, just look at the line-up, it was never going to be anything else but brilliant..........there is not much else I can add only that Kenny Burrell just brought out one top tune after another, but you all know he never does anything else...................Kenny, as Bruce Forsythe would say "your still my favorite" :D

Great to catch up with loads of people..you know who you are and especially to finally be formally introduced to "Dennis" sorry Danny :huh: .

Thanks to Pete and Sean for another top night thumbup.gif

QoFxx

We got past the police cordon - Billy just threatened to show the officer his jockstrap - seriously, they just let us past. Our first time at the Rugby Club and a warm welcome from Mr & Mrs C and it was straight on the dance floor for the Norwich trio (Mandy only stopping for 2 records rest all night!) Numbers were down and I felt there was a lack of dancers in the place - although the DJ combined his DJ/Dancing skills admirably! Very Soulful set from Keith Woon, some up and at 'em stompers/R'nB from Des Parker and Kenny Burrell with his usual quality set. Sean finished the night in his usual "Letsbe 'avin ya" fashion.

Great to see Tony Parker (thanks for calling me Prof. Turnip!) and his partner Karen all the way from York.

Definitely be back in June

Mark C

My turn to drive. Took Tom H and Tabs from Banbury. Got to the venue in good time only to be meet by a Police cordon, would not let us through! (Serious accident) Many thanks to some of the Luton crew who allowed me to follow them through to the other exit which we would never have found. The Police allowed me and Tom in but kept Tabs there. :thumbsup: He'll do anything to get out of buying a round! But seriously what a great night we had. As someone has already said just look at the dj line up. I can't remember hearing a poor tune alnight. I really do like this venue, really friendly, plenty of parking, five minutes off the M1. But the main thing is the music policy is across the board - just brillant!

Was please to hear Sean play the Scott Bros, Orc - They All Came Back. (Thanks for the plug that we have been playing it at Banbury Soul Club). Heard so many good tunes last night, too many to mention, the best thing to do is to get yourself there for the next one.

Keep dancing.

Charlie Mc

Banbury Soul Club

Guest gordon russell

the amigos went and had an ok night.....Kenny burrell played a good spot of mainly rare oldies but nice tunes...very hard at local venues to play out of the top 500. people take a long time to warm to tunes so des parker had a bit of a hard time from the dance floor but so what dessy keep it up. lastly two tunes were played near the end one on carla and one on smash....absolute blinders,do wish however that some djs find their own tunes to reactivate not just play stuff that others have had the belief in to reactivate.these two tunes along with many other brilliant underplayed tunes have been gracing the decks at venues up north for well over two years,never heard em down here....strange

all in all a fair night..........tezza

Guest matt tees

the amigos went and had an ok night.....Kenny burrell played a good spot of mainly rare oldies but nice tunes...very hard at local venues to play out of the top 500. people take a long time to warm to tunes so des parker had a bit of a hard time from the dance floor but so what dessy keep it up. lastly two tunes were played near the end one on carla and one on smash....absolute blinders,do wish however that some djs find their own tunes to reactivate not just play stuff that others have had the belief in to reactivate.these two tunes along with many other brilliant underplayed tunes have been gracing the decks at venues up north for well over two years,never heard em down here....strange

all in all a fair night..........tezza

Thank you for your comments and totally agree with all. First of apologies to all who came and struggled to get to the venue, unfortunately there was a fatal car accident and the roads were blocked until about 9.15 so alternatives had to be found, but knowing what the northern soul scene's dogged determination to get their soul, hopefully everybody got to the club, if anybody did not, very sorry. Also thanks to Toby who let quite a few know what was happening and gave them directions, cheers mate! Numbers were definately down and was the lowest we have had for over 4 years, albeit, there was lots going on! Thanks to our guests Keith Woon, who played as expected a very soulful set, very much enjoyed Des Parker's set who always puts a different slant on it and is prepared to play outside the box, Kenny Burrell's early set where he played from the other side of the box plus his main spot was fantastic, I agree with Terry about playing outside of the Top 500 at soul clubs, it is always a hard act to get the right balance. Once again thanks to everyone who joined us on Sat. Moving on to our next event which takes place on Sat 14 June and to celebrate our 7th Anniversary will have the return of Soul Sam, plus Middleton Promoter Andy Mccabe plus Maria Willingham and Guest.

We got past the police cordon - Billy just threatened to show the officer his jockstrap - seriously, they just let us past. Our first time at the Rugby Club and a warm welcome from Mr & Mrs C and it was straight on the dance floor for the Norwich trio (Mandy only stopping for 2 records rest all night!) Numbers were down and I felt there was a lack of dancers in the place - although the DJ combined his DJ/Dancing skills admirably! Very Soulful set from Keith Woon, some up and at 'em stompers/R'nB from Des Parker and Kenny Burrell with his usual quality set. Sean finished the night in his usual "Letsbe 'avin ya" fashion.

Great to see Tony Parker (thanks for calling me Prof. Turnip!) and his partner Karen all the way from York.

Definitely be back in June

Mark C

Top night Sean really enjoyed it, you won't hear any better sounds anywhere in the country, the djs played with passion,Kenny Burrell top man for me that night,he must got some exellent sounds in his box,never heard the same set twice,really happy crowd nice to see Neal hand cuffed to Dolly to many names to mention,Sean try and get my age right next mate,looking forward to coming again.

Billy

but it did mean I did get the house slave, Tabs, all to myself to cater just to my needs :yes: .

And very demanding you were as well.

I've still got the bruises. :D

The Police allowed me and Tom in but kept Tabs there. :yes: He'll do anything to get out of buying a round!

Past catching up with me your honour. :yes:

never heard the same set twice,really happy crowd

Billy

Despite lower than usual numbers was a good night with a nice mix of sounds.

Always enjoy Luton so see you at the next TOTS :yes:

We had planned to stay in on Saturday but as we didn't like to appear ungrateful by declining my son's offer to babysit, we were probably on the M1 by the time he'd finished making his offer. :yes:

We had a great night in the nicest company, especially Rhona & Kenny who put up with us most of the evening...

Music was superb all night what a great line up of DJ's every one played a top set.

Kenny, "August Moon" it sounded Excellent on a big system, Made me remember why I was so desperate to get a copy.. :yes:

Sean thanks for playing the "Girls" for me :yes::yes:

Was great to see and speak to everyone, especially the one person I'd least expected to see.

Dolly & Neil xx

Guest gordon russell

Past catching up with me your honour. :yes:

What??? :yes: ..they recognised the photo fit :yes: .....bloody thug :yes: ......Delxxx

why are you posting on this site you never go ......anywhere ....no offence but true :D

Guest Bearsy

I'm like Dorian Gray, never get older or change.

i have noticed the same clothes all the time your out mate and dont forget you was born 57 years old :yes:

Guest matt tees

Top night Sean really enjoyed it, you won't hear any better sounds anywhere in the country, the djs played with passion,Kenny Burrell top man for me that night,he must got some exellent sounds in his box,never heard the same set twice,really happy crowd nice to see Neal hand cuffed to Dolly to many names to mention,Sean try and get my age right next mate,looking forward to coming again.

Billy

Great to see you there Billy, you know what I think of the norwich crew, always out on the road putting big miles to every event you go to, and you certainly do plenty- Respect to you young Billy Wizz!!