• Replies 7
  • Views 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It's quite simple really - the plain orange ones are plain orange with black writing, and the others are not... :thumbsup:

Seriously, the plain orange ones are the first label design, and the others came later. I am aware that there are some plain orange ones during the 'multicolour' run, but I would imagine that this was just down to the use of old, unused label stock that was sitting at some pressing plants (I think mostly Monarch on the West coast or Plastic Products in Memphis) rather than any great desire on Ray Charles' part to confuse future discographers...

Social source share

So its the orange copy of this that's the original release? I had assumed it was the red/black/white on the grounds that it "looks earlier"! Or are they Both original releases from East Coast/West Coast?

Edited by Funky Si
Social source share

So its the orange copy of this that's the original release? I had assumed it was the red/black/white on the grounds that it "looks earlier"! Or are they Both original releases from East Coast/West Coast?

gallery_6433_1845_1925603.jpg

orange is definitely absolute first release on this specific title, I think the red might have even been pressed a few years later (on some other titles, they might have been pressed closer in terms of time).

Social source share

orange is definitely absolute first release on this specific title, I think the red might have even been pressed a few years later (on some other titles, they might have been pressed closer in terms of time).

So where does this vinyl pressing of the same title fit into it all...? :D

post-1392-1206380952_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I was working in Record Corner when the other side of this 45, "Booty Butt", was a US R & B chart hit.

We had the styrene 'multicolour' pressing in first (manufactured by Monarch, on the West Coast) then the 'plain orange' variation (pressed by Plastic Products in Memphis) and we also had the one that Sebastian posted up (pressed I know not where!) - all within a couple of weeks of each other, while it was on the R & B charts.

We also had the Raelets' "Bad Water" on multicolour first, then the bright orange version within a couple of weeks.

These records were both chart hits within a few weeks of each other, and that's probably why the multiple variations exist, to cope with extra demand from distributors in various parts of the country. I think that the bright orange - well, tangerine really, I guess! - were only done at Plastic Products, but I've learned from experience not to say 'only' on here too often...

Social source share

It's quite simple really - the plain orange ones are plain orange with black writing, and the others are not... :thumbsup:

Seriously, the plain orange ones are the first label design, and the others came later. I am aware that there are some plain orange ones during the 'multicolour' run, but I would imagine that this was just down to the use of old, unused label stock that was sitting at some pressing plants (I think mostly Monarch on the West coast or Plastic Products in Memphis) rather than any great desire on Ray Charles' part to confuse future discographers...

Thanks for that, nothing too exciting there then!! :thumbsup:

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!