Crossfire Last Night / This Morning

After a brief sojourn into the evening bit of the Filthy Soul All Dayer, it was across town to Gt Portland St and the latest Crossfire instalment courtesy of Mr Croasdell.

For many, the last thrash of a mod weekender that took place at various venues across North London, so sharp suits and even sharper shoes aplenty decended for 3 rooms of Soul / RnB / Psych etc etc.

We spent most of the night in the main room taking in sounds from guest DJs Pete Hulatt, Adam, Jo Wallace, Warren along with Ady.

For me (Neil) I felt that maybe there was a high emphasis on RnB / Latin sounds in the Northern Room at times, given that this seemed to be well catered for in rooms 2 & 3. BUT the dancers didnt seem fazed by this and the floor was consistently busy throughout the night. Maybe I'm even more of a Phillistine than I thought!!!!

From where we stood, alongside Roger & Jenny Banks sales table, the traffic between rooms was pretty much constant so the blend of musical styles was probably about right for most, as people dipped in and out of each room.

In a nutshell, a great night and really interesting to see such a mix of age groups, musical tastes and fashions brought together under one roof. No small feat and from the buzz in the building, it worked pretty damn well. Thanks as always to Ady, a great host!

Neil & Dolly :thumbsup:

• Replies 26
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Carrie Mehome

That was a fast Lookback! Yes a great night all-round. Really enjoyed myself. Was quite surprised to see two men up in the ceiling underneath the white sheeting stuff! ohmy.gifunsure.gif

Guest Simon

For me (Neil) I felt that maybe there was a high emphasis on RnB / Latin sounds in the Northern Room at times, given that this seemed to be well catered for in rooms 2 & 3. BUT the dancers didnt seem fazed by this and the floor was consistently busy throughout the night. Maybe I'm even more of a Phillistine than I thought!!!!

Hi Neil,

Nice to meet you & Steve Cato last night, always good to put a faces to names.

There was a fair bit of R & B & Latin, not to everyones taste i agree but it did go down as well if not better than the Northern imo.

Me & Sam had a nice evening, had a fair few dances, heard a couple of interesting tunes spun by Warren, think one was the Liberation Singers (Warren may need to correct me on the full title).

A fairly decent evening of NS, some nice tunes, some interesting tunes, i'm still not really getting the high that i used to out in London in the Heyday of The Capitol Soul Club & Scenesville etc. maybe i'm getting old, maybe i know a lot more tunes now but i rarely get the wow factor on hearing stuff nowadays, the Liberation singers track was the only thing that really made me sit up & take notice.

There was some good solid, quality NS played, Two People, Paris, Honey & the Bees, i'd like to see this high quality of tuneage maintained at venues with some real refreshing big sounds thrown in, think the Stafford thread has proved conclusively that those sounds are out there ready to be played.

Anyway starting to go off on a tangent so all in all an enjoyable evening & well done to Ady & Rob for putting an event of this magnitude on, certainly takes a lot of hard work & stress!

Simon :D

Guest vinylvixen

really enjoyed the rnb room fantastic to see so many youngsters enjoying themselves !

keep up the good work Ady.

its been a great weekend rounded off with some top tunes !

Roddy, hope you both had a good flight back :D You both looked very dapper and gave Ady a run for his money in the suit department. Thoroughly enjoyed myself and great to see people travelling from all over to attend. Neil, Dolly, Becky, Steve Cato and Lydia.....and not to mention the Rugby contingent :thumbsup: - it was briliant to have a natter. Biggest thanks goes to Mr Simms and Smudge for getting me there - what a load of bollocks - no trains on a Bank Holiday weekend - :D I'm off for a nap. Jo

Always a pleasure Jo. :D

Had a great night. As said there was a broad mix of tunes last night, which is fine by me. Don't mind a bit of R&B & Latin - Mike Pedicin was fab.. :D Quality Northern by the bucket load as well I might add and seldom did more than a couple of tracks pass without a good dancer.

Lots of pals in attendance, didn't get to say hi to everyone, but good to see everyone there.

Dancefloor could have done with a smidge more talc perhaps, but then the loafers need less buffing today, so all's well that ends well. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Sims
Guest Mrs Simsy

Well this was the 4th & final leg of the soul tour for me! Started off with a chatty journey down sarf with Denise! :shhh:

Thank you to Mr Sims & Smudge for the lift into London! :D

Had a top night, fab to finally meet the lovely Jo Wallace! (Your stories are ledgendary! :D:thumbsup: ) Thought the DJs did cracking spots. Wasn't quite as fulla beans as i normally am due to some severe 'souling it' this weekend but rest assured when i wasn't dancing, i was singing along! :(

Must say thanks to Pete H for the dedication! :( Lovely to meet Warren Boogaloo. Fantastic as always to see CarrieMehome, great to see Roddy & Co again & everybody else!

I'm running out of adjectives to describe what a good time i had so i shall leave it at that for now! :huh:

Well this was the 4th & final leg of the soul tour for me! Started off with a chatty journey down sarf with Denise! :D

Thank you to Mr Sims & Smudge for the lift into London! :yes:

Had a top night, fab to finally meet the lovely Jo Wallace! (Your stories are ledgendary! :yes::yes: ) Thought the DJs did cracking spots. Wasn't quite as fulla beans as i normally am due to some severe 'souling it' this weekend but rest assured when i wasn't dancing, i was singing along! :yes:

Must say thanks to Pete H for the dedication! :D Lovely to meet Warren Boogaloo. Fantastic as always to see CarrieMehome, great to see Roddy & Co again & everybody else!

I'm running out of adjectives to describe what a good time i had so i shall leave it at that for now! :D

And it was lovely to meet you too. Cor, I thought I was an enthusiastic bod but it's nice to meet someone who really loves her soul. Plus everyone else - Ganche, Carrie, Barbara, Sarah, Sian, Ian, Ciara, Wilco - too many to name in fact. Loved the atmosphere in the main room and was a pleasure to dj to. Nice to see soo many new young faces out gooving to the sounds played.

I suppose I take the blame for the Latin (I know it's not to everyone's taste), the four I did play were requests but I'd have played them anyway. :D As my old grandad used to say 'You can't have too much Latin in your playlist'. Pow Wow by Manny Corchado should be on an NHS prescription it's that good.

If I get the chance later I'll post my plays for the night but in case I don't - Simon the two tracks you were interested in were Lewise Bethune - Chi Town Boogaloo (Sack) and Liberation Street Singers - Love is in the air (Pentagram).

Thanks Ady for asking me. See y'all at the next Boogaloosoul or 100 club or wherever.

Cheers M'dears

Warren

Guest Carrie Mehome

Great to see you Kylee and at last I met Denise! Hello to everyone else. Warren I loved your top! :yes:

Edited by Carrie Mehome
Guest Simon

If I get the chance later I'll post my plays for the night but in case I don't - Simon the two tracks you were interested in were Lewise Bethune - Chi Town Boogaloo (Sack) and Liberation Street Singers - Love is in the air (Pentagram).

Cheers mate, the Liberation Street Singers especially was a lovely breath of fresh air, haven't heard anything out that exciting for a while, don't s'pose anyone has a soundclip?

Simon

Guest Little Ian

And it was lovely to meet you too. Cor, I thought I was an enthusiastic bod but it's nice to meet someone who really loves her soul. Plus everyone else - Ganche, Carrie, Barbara, Sarah, Sian, Ian, Ciara, Wilco - too many to name in fact. Loved the atmosphere in the main room and was a pleasure to dj to. Nice to see soo many new young faces out gooving to the sounds played.

I suppose I take the blame for the Latin (I know it's not to everyone's taste), the four I did play were requests but I'd have played them anyway. :thumbsup: As my old grandad used to say 'You can't have too much Latin in your playlist'. Pow Wow by Manny Corchado should be on an NHS prescription it's that good.

Thanks Ady for asking me. See y'all at the next Boogaloosoul or 100 club or wherever.

Cheers M'dears

Warren

[/quote

pow wow. nice one warren, sian loved your set ,at 15 dancin to the early hours? discraceful parenting!

:thumbsup: see u at boogaloo

Guest vinylvixen

at 15 dancin to the early hours? discraceful parenting!

Quite - Ian, what are you thinking of....disgraceful that you didn't make her climb out of a window so she could sneak down to the gig....disgraceful that Sian's able to go out with her knowledgeable, soulful parents and enjoy her self....whatever next :thumbsup::P In my day blah blah blah..... :( Great to see y'all there - catch you at Boogaloo :thumbsup: Jo

I suppose I take the blame for the Latin (I know it's not to everyone's taste), the four I did play were requests but I'd have played them anyway. laugh.gif As my old grandad used to say 'You can't have too much Latin in your playlist'. Pow Wow by Manny Corchado should be on an NHS prescription it's that good.

Cheers M'dears

Warren

Usually try and make Crossfire and would have LOVED to have heard Pow Wow played out.......fair play to ya for chuckin in something different. For curiosity, what was the fourth Latin track you played?

Guest Little Ian

Quite - Ian, what are you thinking of....disgraceful that you didn't make her climb out of a window so she could sneak down to the gig....disgraceful that Sian's able to go out with her knowledgeable, soulful parents and enjoy her self....whatever next :lol::lol: In my day blah blah blah..... :D Great to see y'all there - catch you at Boogaloo :lol: Jo

in my day blah blah blah 15 yrs old going to 100 club nighters without the parents(circa 81?) :thumbsup:

nice to see you jo :lol: will be great to see you boogalooin

Edited by Little Ian
Guest ciara

Morning all, I think Im alive today! Blimey that was a weekend to remember. :thumbsup:

Been wanting to do Crossfire for ages and never got down but boy, was it worth the wait. Dolly pretty much summed it up in her post - the music - the clothes!! What a great mix of people all having a hell of a time!

Jo - I could listen to your stories all night - fantastic lady! Lovely to meet Warren Boogaloo, Carriemehome - your a star! the lovely Ciara and many others Ive yet to put names to!! :lol:

Thanks again to Simsy and Smudger for your kind hospitality. Definately see you all again.

Denise

xx

Great to meet you too. Hope you have got over your very hectic weekend. Have to say Crossfire always delivers a great nite. Was just a bit too tired to stay till the end as we'd been celebrating my dad's 65th all over the weekend.

My first allnigter was when I was 15. Had to sneak out of the house and got a good battering when I returned the next day. Oh, happy days. :lol:

Thanks for the comments guys - it's pleasing to know that there are aficionados of the latin sounds around. The four I played were Manny Corchado-Pow Wow, Hector Rivera-Chance for romance, Bobby Valentin-Use it till you lose it, Harvey Averne-Never learned to dance and Isley Bros-Who's that lady (1966 version, which has a very latin backbeat). So actually that's five, but with tunes this good who's counting.

I did play some Northern as well, by the way :lol:

Warren B

Edited by boogaloo
Guest vinylvixen

in my day blah blah blah 15 yrs old going to 100 club nighters without the parents(circa 81?) :lol:

nice to see you jo :lol: will be great to see you boogalooin

I can see an Al Murray style 'In My Day - 15 years Old' Blah Blah thread emerging lol...... :wicked: I seem to remember a good quantity of Detroit being played too.....it twas good all round :ohmy: Jo

Guest JamesP

What a belter of a weekend. Only just woke up since Monday. grin.gif

One of the best since modstock. Great crowd in all 3 nights. Atmosphere was spot on with the mix of people, has been a bit of tension in the air in the past but this was ace. Normally only stay in the r and b room but the sounds in the main room on sunday were too hard to resist. Thought Warren and Pow wow in particular were awesome but loved all of DJs. Only thing that was a bit annoying were all spilt drinks again even though DJs did their best to try and get people off the floor with them. Bring it on for next year, already booked my accomodatio n!

The TAFFIA crew had a blast. Great to catch up with loads of folk and met plenty of new.

Well done ROB and all the organisors.

Foxy

I can see an Al Murray style 'In My Day - 15 years Old' Blah Blah thread emerging lol...... laugh.gif I seem to remember a good quantity of Detroit being played too.....it twas good all round :lol: Jo

Actually there were two major milestones of my 15th year and only one of them involved Northern Soul laugh.gif:lol::lol: .

Guest Carrie Mehome

I only ventured once into the RnB and quickly had to get back to the main room - oh yes! As for the drinks issue - not as bad as usually and I got 4 people to take their drinks off the dancefloor - they must have hated me! :lol::lol:

What a belter of a weekend. Only just woke up since Monday. grin.gif

One of the best since modstock. Great crowd in all 3 nights. Atmosphere was spot on with the mix of people, has been a bit of tension in the air in the past but this was ace. Normally only stay in the r and b room but the sounds in the main room on sunday were too hard to resist. Thought Warren and Pow wow in particular were awesome but loved all of DJs. Only thing that was a bit annoying were all spilt drinks again even though DJs did their best to try and get people off the floor with them. Bring it on for next year, already booked my accomodatio n!

The TAFFIA crew had a blast. Great to catch up with loads of folk and met plenty of new.

Well done ROB and all the organisors.

Foxy

I suppose I take the blame for the Latin (I know it's not to everyone's taste), the four I did play were requests but I'd have played them anyway. :lol: As my old grandad used to say 'You can't have too much Latin in your playlist'. Pow Wow by Manny Corchado should be on an NHS prescription it's that good.

Cheers M'dears

Warren

Hi Warren,

Good to see you, as always, the other week at Crossfire. I hope you didn't misintepret my comments re: Latin. I was merely trying to give a personal perspective on the night which, as I said, I really enjoyed so blame doesn't come into it mate, it was a great night with a really broad cross-section on the dance-floors as well as coming from the speakers.

Maybe I'd be better served keeping me big mouth shut in future :yes:

Nice set Warren, it hit the mark and did what it was meant to - it had the dance-floor heaving!!

See you soon,

Neil Jones :lol:

Hi Warren,

Good to see you, as always, the other week at Crossfire. I hope you didn't misintepret my comments re: Latin. I was merely trying to give a personal perspective on the night which, as I said, I really enjoyed so blame doesn't come into it mate, it was a great night with a really broad cross-section on the dance-floors as well as coming from the speakers.

Maybe I'd be better served keeping me big mouth shut in future :lol:

Nice set Warren, it hit the mark and did what it was meant to - it had the dance-floor heaving!!

See you soon,

Neil Jones :lol:

No offence taken, mate. You're not the sort of guy to moan as you're always positive about your love of the music. I loved the night and thought all the djs did 'what it says on the tin' - playing quality rare, classic and semi-knowns.

Must get up to Bury one day but I'd need to know if you've got a salsa room. :P:lol::lol: