1st Cream Cracker 2008

Guest kev such

Guest kev such

Morning.

On Saturday evening was the 1st Cream Cracker of 2008.

When i woke up in the morning and saw that it was snowing first reaction was great.

Me and Nidge went and set up at about 12.00 and Kev Kent and Pam arrived soon after.

Got to the venue at 7pm and Mark D and Keith were already there. A slow trickle of people started to arrive and Mark D started us off at 7.30. The heating took a while to come on, but i have worked out how to light the bloody thing, so we shant have a cold venue from now on.

From 8.30 to 9pm is the free punters spot. This is where i like to get a punter with some records to have a go at DJing. Anthony from Leicester stepped in when we'd had no show from the arranged person. Even though he was only on for 30 minutes Anthony did an excellent job and quite surprised everyone by the cracking tunes he was playing. The best thing about the free punter spot is that whoever it is always tries to impress, and they ALWAYS do.

Next up at 9pm to 10pm was Trev Davison, by this time the hall was filling up nicely. Trev is more so into his modern tunes nowadays, but as we dont really do modern at the Cracker, he had to dust off his 60's vinyl and he did a brilliant set of what we play, Classics, RnB and Early Crossover.

Next up at 10pm to 11pm was Kev Kent, unfortunately i missed Trev and part of Kevs sets as i was on meet and greet, but when i looked into the hall we had a good bit of dancing going on and people on smoke breaks and toilet breaks were commenting on the quality of tunes being spun. When Kev arrived in the afternoon and he opened his record box he had put 2 disco tunes at the front and indicated to me that the tunes at the front of the box were his playlist. My how we laughed when the joke had sunk in.

From 11pm to 12pm was John McDade. John is also into his modern tunes, but he also did a great set of oldies etc. However he did sneakily slip in a couple of modern tracks. But i docked his money accordingly.

John also played the Duffy track, amazingly the floor was jammed for it, i wonder if she knows the reaction her tune is getting on the soul scene? Not really my cup of tea.

I was then up on the decks from 12pm to 1pm. Played Timi Yuro to end my set but then put on 2 or 3 requests just to finish the night off.

As Luton, Silks, Yarmouth Rally, Weather, Maxime Brown concert, Easter weekend were all on this weekend i was slightly apprehensive as to the numbers that may attend the Cracker. I would just like to say a HUGE thankyou to all the people who attended. The regulars that have been with me from the start, and to the new people who attended for the first time, i.e. Sixhills mob, Chap from Glasgow (soz cant remember name), Vaughn from Wales, Helen and the Kent, Southend gang who had been to the allnighter the night before, drove home and then drove back up to Cracker,thanks, makes me feel humbled. Mr Brown for coming all the way from Norfolk so he could attend, Ian and Kev and their very friendly wives who gave the manageress of the venue a scare when she thought someone was squatting in the carpark. And to everyone who took the time and trouble to come along to the Cracker when there were countless other events on. Hopefully we made your trip worthwhile.

I'd just like to say thanks to John McDade, Nidge and Marky Mole for always reminding me to chill now and then. If it weren't for them i would have no grenades left for when the revolution comes thumbsup.gif

All in all i think we had a good night on Saturday, numbers attending were about 140. We had a lot of sweaty people in there at the end, and thats always a good sign.

Next Cream Cracker is the 31st May, and Pete Gent, Glynn Whitbread and Steve Brown will be guesting.

Regards and thanks

Kev and Karen.

My playlist (in no particular order)

Pat and the Blenders,Just because.Fast Eddie.

Magnificent Men, Keep on climbing, Capitol (LP)

Detroit Soul, All of my life,Music Town.

Paul Anka, When we get there. RCA

Rose Batiste, Hit and Run. Revilot

Jimmy Fraser, Hopes Dreams and Tombstones. Columbia (request)

B J Thomas, I dont have a mind of my own. Pacemaker

Tempests, What ya gonna do boy. Smash (request)

Anita Humes, Dont fight it baby. Roulette

Ike and Tina Turner, Cant chance a break up. Sue

Maurice Williams, Being without you. Deesu

Joanie Sommers, Dont pity me. WB (request)

New Younghearts, A little togetherness. Soultown

Harold Melvin, Get out. Landa. (request)

Soul Brothers Six, I'll be loving you. Atlantic (request)

Soul Brothers Six, Some kind of wonderful. Atlantic

Irene and the Scotts, Stuck on my baby. Smash

Betty Lloyd, I'm catching on. BSC

Jerry Williams, If you ask me.Calla (request)

Ruby Winters, Just like a Yo-Yo. Diamond.

Roy Hamilton, She make me wanna dance. MGM

Carl carlton, Competition aint nothing. Back beat

Lou Roberts, You fooled me. MGM

Etta James, Seven day fool. Argo (request)

Reflections, Romeo and Juliet. Tamla Motown

Marv Johnson, Come on and stop. United Artists

Harry Deal, I still love you. Eclipse. (request)

Dee Clarki, Thats my girl. Constellation

Mel Torme, Im comin home. London/Atlantic. (request)

Timi Yuro, It'll never be over for me.United Artists.

Edited by kev such
  • Replies 74
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

That's some novel you've written there mate! I'll get it when it comes out in paperback. Great to see the Cracker busy in spite of all the other events. A lot of different faces I thought. I didn't arrive much before 10 so missed most of Trevs set. Kev Kent played some nice oldies followed by John who also kept the dance floor happy. I'm sorry I didn't stay to the end but was really Cream Crackered!

I do promise that I will try harder next time though Kev. If you haven't been yet, get yourself along in May for a great night!

All the best, Steve.

Yet another great night at the Cracker, considering it was easter weekend and the weather not too good the turnout was brilliant. I didn't get there until about 9 so missed the earlier sets but from then on all the dj's played some great sets.

Good to see people travelling from all over including me and Sparky (3 miles is a long way) laugh.gif

Nice to see Kev inviting a range of dj's to the cracker. Looking forward to doing a spot

there later on in the year. All the best, Nige.

It's been a mad weekend.......either working, or partying! Got to the Cracker about 9.15 and the dance floor was already rammed and stayed that way until the end...... thumbsup.gif As Steve said, there were loads of new faces and happily, they looked like they were having a great time on the floor too! Nice to meet KevKent and thanks for playing my fave tune of all time Kev, and it was a treat to hear The Twilight Zone/Astors...never heard that out before. Yup, the CC never fails to deliver a bloody good night out! thumbup.gif

Guest kev such

Yet another great night at the Cracker, considering it was easter weekend and the weather not too good the turnout was brilliant. I didn't get there until about 9 so missed the earlier sets but from then on all the dj's played some great sets.

Good to see people travelling from all over including me and Sparky (3 miles is a long way) laugh.gif

Nice to see Kev inviting a range of dj's to the cracker. Looking forward to doing a spot

there later on in the year. All the best, Nige.

Looking forward to you doing a set in August Nidge for the 3rd Anniversary. Hopefully by just having me and Mark D as residents, we can keep the evenings fresh musically without having to compromise on the music policy (Classics, RnB, Early Crossover).

Thanks for your help, comments and advice mate, TOP FORM.

As you didnt get there till after 9pm and you only live 3 miles away, did you and Sparky walk from Kettering?

See you in the week mate.

Regards

Kev

Guest kev such

It's been a mad weekend.......either working, or partying! Got to the Cracker about 9.15 and the dance floor was already rammed and stayed that way until the end...... thumbsup.gif As Steve said, there were loads of new faces and happily, they looked like they were having a great time on the floor too! Nice to meet KevKent and thanks for playing my fave tune of all time Kev, and it was a treat to hear The Twilight Zone/Astors...never heard that out before. Yup, the CC never fails to deliver a bloody good night out! thumbup.gif

Morning Mark.

Have to thank you mate as i think you are one of the few who have attended every Cream Cracker and have been with us from day one. So you can see how the event is progressing.

Managed to get the Magnificent Men played, didnt get time for "Cleopatra" though. Still maybe next time.

Glad you had a good night. Rebecca was slightly worse for wear when we got her home.

see you soon Mark.

Regards

kev and Karen

Guest kev such

That's some novel you've written there mate! I'll get it when it comes out in paperback. Great to see the Cracker busy in spite of all the other events. A lot of different faces I thought. I didn't arrive much before 10 so missed most of Trevs set. Kev Kent played some nice oldies followed by John who also kept the dance floor happy. I'm sorry I didn't stay to the end but was really Cream Crackered!

I do promise that I will try harder next time though Kev. If you haven't been yet, get yourself along in May for a great night!

All the best, Steve.

I've just had Speilberg on the phone he wants the film rights, my people are talking to his people at the moment.

Thanks for making the journey Steve. I bet you were Cream Crackered before you got here.

Looking forward to you finishing the Cracker off in May, when you do the last spot mate.

Speak soon and regards to Sue.

Kev and Karen

Guest red or dead

Have to say had a really good night.Travelled up after picking up from Cambridge hoping the weather would hold,I hate f***ing snow

The night certainly did'nt disappoint we had a great night Thanks one and all and the parking was abit cheaper than the night before

eh kev?

biggrin.gif I had a great time!

Thanks Kev for asking me to play back in the area where it all started for me, and thanks to all those who voiced their appreciation of my set. I was well made up.

Good to meet Maark, Marky Mole, and all the other sourcers and Cracker regulars. Great to see a few familiar faces from further south too - Terry (Mr Tea) from Staines, Paul (bluebill) and Lorraine from Farnborough, Mick, Shane Cox and Julie + Helen (outonthe floor) and Mark (Herbie) from Southend, Martin & Toni (Kent Soul Club) + Sheila (Saucy Sister) from Medway, Vaughn from N.Wales and wherever his truck is parked. Sorry to those I've forgot to mention. I was well impressed with Shane who'd DJ'd in the early hours at the Wilton Allnighter, travelled back to Southend and then back up to the Cracker. And of course Helen who did the driving and Julie and Mark who travelled with them. And what about Martin (KSC) - he rode his scoot from Yarmouth to Medway, thawed out and set off for his first visit to the Cracker with wife Toni and sis Sheila. Didn't arrive till 11pm but I don't think we can fault him for that!

Well, not much about the nite from me. Being the other side of the decks I don't think it's right for me to. Will just say though that I reckon everyone did themselves proud, and Trev Davison played some really nice tunes!

Here's my playlist as far as I can remember it:

If That's What You Wanted.....Frank Beverly & Butlers.....Sassy

Too Much Of A Good Thing.....Ambassadors.....Pee Vee

Wait Till I Get To Know Ya.....Bobby Treetop.....Tuff

Paris Blues.....Tony Middleton.....Mala

(I'm A Fool) I Must Love You.....Falcons.....Big Wheel

In The Twilight Zone.....Astors.....Stax

Hurry Don't Linger.....Brothers Of Soul.....Boo

You Don't Have To Be A Tower Of Strength.....Gloria Lynne.....Everest

Take Your Love And Run.....Barbara Lynn.....Jet Stream

Puttin It On Your Mind.....Jimmy Ellis.....Salem

I've Got A Feeling.....Baby Washington.....Sue

Cracked Up Over You.....Danny White.....Decca

walking Up A One Way Street.....Willie Tee.....Atlantic

Open The Door To Your Heart.....Darrell Banks.....Stateside

Someone To Treat Me.....De-Vons.....King

Baby, What Has Happened To Our Love.....Ringleaders.....M-Pac

I can't Get Enough.....Johnny Sayles.....St Lawrence

Lay This Burden Down.....Mary Love.....Stateside

Baby Boy.....Juanita Williams.....Golden World

A Bird In The Hand.....Velvelettes...VIP

Don't Pretend.....Belles.....President

Quick Change Artist.....Soul Twins.....Karen

Let's Talk It Over.....Spencer Wiggins.....Soul Series.

You were right Mr Such, I didn't play that tune I'd searched for. It was Howard Tate...Half A Man. Maybe next time!

-Kevin Kent

Guest kev such

Have to say had a really good night.Travelled up after picking up from Cambridge hoping the weather would hold,I hate f***ing snow

The night certainly did'nt disappoint we had a great night Thanks one and all and the parking was abit cheaper than the night before

eh kev?

Great to see you, and yes the parking was cheaper than Friday evening. I was hoping to keep that quiet.

Top tip #1 (or state the bleeding obvious) Dont park anywhere a sign CLEARLY says, " if you aint got a permit, then dont park here or you'll be clamped" £100 to get the bloody thing off. Chap wouldnt come out of his car, Tosser. boxing.gif . Wheres Micheal Barrymore or Paul Burrell when you just have to punch something.

Regards

Kev and Karen.

Morning Mark.

Have to thank you mate as i think you are one of the few who have attended every Cream Cracker and have been with us from day one. So you can see how the event is progressing.

Managed to get the Magnificent Men played, didnt get time for "Cleopatra" though. Still maybe next time.

Glad you had a good night. Rebecca was slightly worse for wear when we got her home.

see you soon Mark.

Regards

kev and Karen

Guest nusha

Twas a great night.Music good and the guiness cheap.Enthusiastic crowd and a perfect room and dance floor.Good value event.Do not wish to be provocative but a bit more modern would have sweetened it for me.....Regards to all

Guest GazArcher

HI KEV,ON BEHALF OF THE DRIVING BEAT SOUL CLUB FROM 6HILLS THANK YOU FOR A GREAT NIGHT. IT WAS OUR FIRST VISIT AND DEFINATELY WON'T BE THE LAST.

WELL DONE TO ALL CONCERNED KEEP IT GOING

SEES YER SOON

Guest rebecca.

Hi we had a great time on saturday night, it went too quick though! i was a little bit drunk to say the least :D i thought i was still drunk when i woke up sunday morning to all that snow, mind you i was, not a good idea when you have a 2 and 3 year old. Thanks for getting me home safely, looking forward to the next one in may x

HI KEV,ON BEHALF OF THE DRIVING BEAT SOUL CLUB FROM 6HILLS THANK YOU FOR A GREAT NIGHT. IT WAS OUR FIRST VISIT AND DEFINATELY WON'T BE THE LAST.

WELL DONE TO ALL CONCERNED KEEP IT GOING

SEES YER SOON

yes got to agree with you gaz it was a top nite,run by a top bloke,bit cold in there at first but it soon warmed up,always a good nite at the cracker

and a good warm up for our jollies o skegggy for the weekender,keep up the good work mr such

Edited by marky mole

It was a cracking night indeed, with people travelling from far & wide, & with a couple of other local(ish) nights on @ Silks in Wellingboro' & Talk Of The South in Luton, a crowd of 140 is superb.

Although, this time, there seemed to be a lot of new faces @ the Cracker, so maybe Kev's hard work is now starting to pay off !! :D

No complaints from me, although i did hear a few people moaning about the cold, that was of course, until they started dancing & soon warmed up.

As most of you are aware, the Cracker is mainly a night of good old Northern Soul, tinged with some R&B & X-over, and i thought that all of the dj's played good sets that kept the dancefloor full all evening.

We arrived at approx 8pm, with a few up dancing already ( or was that down to the boiler being off Kev??) :D

Nice to see more of the P.boro' crowd travelling over, as we'd only mentioned it to them the night before @ The City Club, so thanks Phil, Rachel, Sue , Mark & Martin, i told you you wouldn't be disappointed!!

Anyway, here's what i played from 11 til midnight:

The Vontastics - Never let your love grow cold - St.Lawrence.

The Catalinas - You haven't the right - Scepter.

Frankie & Johnny - I'll hold you - Hickory.

Bernie Williams - Ever again - Eric. (request )

Kenny Gamble - The jokes on you - Arctic.

George Blackwell - Can't lose my head - Smoke.

Ronnie Walker - You're the one - Philips.

Pointer Sisters - Send him back - Atlantic.

Anderson Bros - I can see him loving you - GSF. (request)

Paula Parfitt - Love is wonderful - Beacon.

The Velours - I'm gonna change - MGM.

Oscar Perry - I got what you need - Peritone.

James Fountain - Seven day lover - Cream.

Driza Bone- Pressure - 4th & Broadway.

Voices of East Harlem - Cashing in - Just Sunshine.

Bobby Hutton - Lend a hand - ABC.

Stanley Mitchell - Get it Baby - Dynamo.

Marvin Gaye - Come Get To This - Tamla

The Four Tops - Can't Seem To get You Out Of My Mind - Tamla Motown.

Marvin & Tammi - Ain't No Mountain... - Tamla

Duffy - Mercy - A&M (request)

A thoroughly good night, was had by all, lets hope that the numbers continue upward for the next one!!

Cheers,

John Mc. :thumbsup:

Twas a great night.Music good and the guiness cheap.Enthusiastic crowd and a perfect room and dance floor.Good value event.Do not wish to be provocative but a bit more modern would have sweetened it for me.....Regards to all

Nusha, this is only between you & I, But i am working on him !!! :D

cheers,

John Mc.

Guest kev such

Nusha, this is only between you & I, But i am working on him !!! :yes:

cheers,

John Mc.

Thanks John, i am forwarned now.

Kev (dont do modern anywhere, especially at the Cracker) Such :yes:

Edited by kev such
Guest bluebill

Travelled up from Farnborough and once again another top night, all dj's played great sets, glad we braved the weather, looking forward to May for the next one.

Guest kent soul club

I was determined to make it to The Cream Cracker, and glad I did. After riding my scooter home from the Great Yarmouth rally, thawing out, and sorting out a few other bits, we didn't manage to pick Saucy Sis up until About nine thirty. So it was "To hell with speed cameras!!" :wicked: and we made it for the last two hours, and fair play to Mr Such, he wouldn't take a penny off us. Was sorry to miss Mr. Kents set, but we had a great two hours on the dance floor.

Every now and then, I like to remind myself how daft I really am, and seven hours driving (three of those on a souped up shopping bike, in the freezing cold!)for two hours of super soul music did the trick. :ohmy:

Toni, Sis and myself all agreed, super venue, super crowd and great sounds-well worth the effort.

Hopefully our dates won't clash this year and we can welcome Kev and friends into Kent Soul Club. But please get there before eleven!

Magoo :lol:

Guest kev such

Travelled up from Farnborough and once again another top night, all dj's played great sets, glad we braved the weather, looking forward to May for the next one.

Paul and Lorraine.

Great to see you again Saturday evening. Thanks for making the journey up. Look forward to seeing you on the 31st May, when we can do it all again. wink.gif

regards

Kev and Karen.

Despite the threat of foul weather and the exorbitant price of diesel, the four (Karen, Trev, Gaz and myself) from Driving Beat made the 140+ mile round trip, only about an hour there and back. Warm welcome, lovely venue and top tunes, particularly liked Mary Love - Lay this burden down and Paula Parfitt definately under played classics. Duffy????? yes it's a nice tune, yes, it did pack the floor and was played at my own venue by a guest DJ but it's not a discovery, not northern, not for me, with about 5,000 worthy under played originals from the 60's and 70's why do we need this?) but off the soap box, met up with Marky and the Netster, Kev and Glynn and danced the night away, brilliant..... if you haven't tried it ..... take the cure!!!! thx to Kev and Karen.

Morning.

On Saturday evening was the 1st Cream Cracker of 2008.

When i woke up in the morning and saw that it was snowing first reaction was great.

Me and Nidge went and set up at about 12.00 and Kev Kent and Pam arrived soon after.

Got to the venue at 7pm and Mark D and Keith were already there. A slow trickle of people started to arrive and Mark D started us off at 7.30. The heating took a while to come on, but i have worked out how to light the bloody thing, so we shant have a cold venue from now on.

From 8.30 to 9pm is the free punters spot. This is where i like to get a punter with some records to have a go at DJing. Anthony from Leicester stepped in when we'd had no show from the arranged person. Even though he was only on for 30 minutes Anthony did an excellent job and quite surprised everyone by the cracking tunes he was playing. The best thing about the free punter spot is that whoever it is always tries to impress, and they ALWAYS do.

Next up at 9pm to 10pm was Trev Davison, by this time the hall was filling up nicely. Trev is more so into his modern tunes nowadays, but as we dont really do modern at the Cracker, he had to dust off his 60's vinyl and he did a brilliant set of what we play, Classics, RnB and Early Crossover.

Next up at 10pm to 11pm was Kev Kent, unfortunately i missed Trev and part of Kevs sets as i was on meet and greet, but when i looked into the hall we had a good bit of dancing going on and people on smoke breaks and toilet breaks were commenting on the quality of tunes being spun. When Kev arrived in the afternoon and he opened his record box he had put 2 disco tunes at the front and indicated to me that the tunes at the front of the box were his playlist. My how we laughed when the joke had sunk in.

From 11pm to 12pm was John McDade. John is also into his modern tunes, but he also did a great set of oldies etc. However he did sneakily slip in a couple of modern tracks. But i docked his money accordingly.

John also played the Duffy track, amazingly the floor was jammed for it, i wonder if she knows the reaction her tune is getting on the soul scene? Not really my cup of tea.

I was then up on the decks from 12pm to 1pm. Played Timi Yuro to end my set but then put on 2 or 3 requests just to finish the night off.

As Luton, Silks, Yarmouth Rally, Weather, Maxime Brown concert, Easter weekend were all on this weekend i was slightly apprehensive as to the numbers that may attend the Cracker. I would just like to say a HUGE thankyou to all the people who attended. The regulars that have been with me from the start, and to the new people who attended for the first time, i.e. Sixhills mob, Chap from Glasgow (soz cant remember name), Vaughn from Wales, Helen and the Kent, Southend gang who had been to the allnighter the night before, drove home and then drove back up to Cracker,thanks, makes me feel humbled. Mr Brown for coming all the way from Norfolk so he could attend, Ian and Kev and their very friendly wives who gave the manageress of the venue a scare when she thought someone was squatting in the carpark. And to everyone who took the time and trouble to come along to the Cracker when there were countless other events on. Hopefully we made your trip worthwhile.

I'd just like to say thanks to John McDade, Nidge and Marky Mole for always reminding me to chill now and then. If it weren't for them i would have no grenades left for when the revolution comes :thumbsup:

All in all i think we had a good night on Saturday, numbers attending were about 140. We had a lot of sweaty people in there at the end, and thats always a good sign.

Next Cream Cracker is the 31st May, and Pete Gent, Glynn Whitbread and Steve Brown will be guesting.

Regards and thanks

Kev and Karen.

My playlist (in no particular order)

Pat and the Blenders,Just because.Fast Eddie.

Magnificent Men, Keep on climbing, Capitol (LP)

Detroit Soul, All of my life,Music Town.

Paul Anka, When we get there. RCA

Rose Batiste, Hit and Run. Revilot

Jimmy Fraser, Hopes Dreams and Tombstones. Columbia (request)

B J Thomas, I dont have a mind of my own. Pacemaker

Tempests, What ya gonna do boy. Smash (request)

Anita Humes, Dont fight it baby. Roulette

Ike and Tina Turner, Cant chance a break up. Sue

Maurice Williams, Being without you. Deesu

Joanie Sommers, Dont pity me. WB (request)

New Younghearts, A little togetherness. Soultown

Harold Melvin, Get out. Landa. (request)

Soul Brothers Six, I'll be loving you. Atlantic (request)

Soul Brothers Six, Some kind of wonderful. Atlantic

Irene and the Scotts, Stuck on my baby. Smash

Betty Lloyd, I'm catching on. BSC

Jerry Williams, If you ask me.Calla (request)

Ruby Winters, Just like a Yo-Yo. Diamond.

Roy Hamilton, She make me wanna dance. MGM

Carl carlton, Competition aint nothing. Back beat

Lou Roberts, You fooled me. MGM

Etta James, Seven day fool. Argo (request)

Reflections, Romeo and Juliet. Tamla Motown

Marv Johnson, Come on and stop. United Artists

Harry Deal, I still love you. Eclipse. (request)

Dee Clarki, Thats my girl. Constellation

Mel Torme, Im comin home. London/Atlantic. (request)

Timi Yuro, It'll never be over for me.United Artists.

Guest kev such

Well done Kev. Great to have you up at the Cracker. I must admit that i did see red when i saw the two tunes you had at the front of your box, i thought we were going to have to put the glitter ball on for your set. But alas no probs, all went smoothly.

I knew you wouldnt play the tune you were searching for. Look forward to seeing you in May Kev.

Regards to Pam

Kev and Karen.

Guest kev such

Despite the threat of foul weather and the exorbitant price of diesel, the four (Karen, Trev, Gaz and myself) from Driving Beat made the 140+ mile round trip, only about an hour there and back. Warm welcome, lovely venue and top tunes, particularly liked Mary Love - Lay this burden down and Paula Parfitt definately under played classics. Duffy????? yes it's a nice tune, yes, it did pack the floor and was played at my own venue by a guest DJ but it's not a discovery, not northern, not for me, with about 5,000 worthy under played originals from the 60's and 70's why do we need this?) but off the soap box, met up with Marky and the Netster, Kev and Glynn and danced the night away, brilliant..... if you haven't tried it ..... take the cure!!!! thx to Kev and Karen.

Thanks for coming up Bryn, was great to see you, and Gaz, and to meet Trev and Karen. I do agree with you reference Duffy, its not my cup of tea either. But alas John took the plunge and played it, what surprised me is that the floor filled up for it. Still i shant be purchasing the tune. each to their own i suppose. Like mentioned on saturday we'll talk about dates for you and gaz to play at the Cream Cracker.

Glad you had a good time and see you soon.

Regards

kev and Karen.

Guest kev such

I was determined to make it to The Cream Cracker, and glad I did. After riding my scooter home from the Great Yarmouth rally, thawing out, and sorting out a few other bits, we didn't manage to pick Saucy Sis up until About nine thirty. So it was "To hell with speed cameras!!" :lol: and we made it for the last two hours, and fair play to Mr Such, he wouldn't take a penny off us. Was sorry to miss Mr. Kents set, but we had a great two hours on the dance floor.

Every now and then, I like to remind myself how daft I really am, and seven hours driving (three of those on a souped up shopping bike, in the freezing cold!)for two hours of super soul music did the trick. :lol:

Toni, Sis and myself all agreed, super venue, super crowd and great sounds-well worth the effort.

Hopefully our dates won't clash this year and we can welcome Kev and friends into Kent Soul Club. But please get there before eleven!

Magoo :thumbsup:

Bllody hell, i didnt realise you had made that kind of trip, never mind me not taking your money (which was the least i could do) i probably should've given you some. I dare say you tried to make it up for Kev Kents set, Shame you missed it, he went down a storm.

Will certainly make a trip down to Kent to sample the delights of the Kent Soul Club. Its been a few years since i was down that way.

Thanks for making the trip and im chuffed that after all that travelling we made the remaining two hours worth the trip.

Regards Kev and Karen

Guest kev such

Nusha, this is only between you & I, But i am working on him !!! :lol:

cheers,

John Mc.

You're gonna have to try a lot harder than you have been matey. :thumbsup: Promises of pain etc wont do it either.

Excellent set Saturday John, you made my job so much easier as you, Trev and Kev had got the crowd into a frenzy. I could probably have played the Dooleys and got away with it.

Thanks for what you said before i went on the decks mate, the £30 is in the post. But i just promote it mate, its down to the great people we get in the Cracker who like us just wanna dance their bleedin backsides off, and great DJs who just want to entertain the crowd so we all go home Cream Crackered.

Regards to Dot John and see you soon mate.

Kev and Karen

Guest kev such

yes got to agree with you gaz it was a top nite,run by a top bloke,bit cold in there at first but it soon warmed up,always a good nite at the cracker

and a good warm up for our jollies o skegggy for the weekender,keep up the good work mr such

Great to see you and Nett again Mark. I have worked out how to work the heating now so it wont be cold anymore. Soon warmed up once the dancing started in ernest. Then again we hopefully wont need the heating on for the May one.

I wanted to get you copius amounts of alcohol for sorting my damn heating out, but didnt get chance, as the night went so blooming quickly. Dont worry next time though Mark.

Thanks to you and Nett for being a great support to the Cracker. Hopefully thats what makes it work, by people attending who just want to have fun, and not get too serious or hung up about the scene. after all we are a long time gone, so lets make the most of it while we are here.

Regards and thanks again Mark.

kev and karen.

Guest outonthefloor

Sorry its taken me a while to post but wanted to give honest feed back bout the nite

As Kev mentioned we were at Wilton for the Allniter as my good friend Shane was DJin there 4.00am - 5.00am. we left in the snow around 7.15 am and after a long cold journey wiva stop 4 brunch n dropping off r mates we got home at around 1.00pm slept till 4.00 jumped in the shower, threw money at the kids n drove back up the motorway with shane n Julie to the Cracker.

We'd raved about this nite to a few mates so we were expecting a few more essex travellers to be there n we werent wrong.....

The most unique thing about this nite is the welcome you get at the door...dont know how they do it but Kev n Karen make every person through the door feel like a personal friend without seeming gushy or insincere. Truely two of the nicest people you could wish to meet.

Great tunes played most of the night especially by Kevkent who played the set of the nite for me with some great RnB tunes and classic oldies with a few little gems thrown in. Not all floor fillers but that in no way an indication of the quality of the tuneage. Dont wanna dwell on the duffy thing but some times its not just about filling the floor at any cost. Must admit the Duffy track did put a damper on things for me (not played by Kevkent i might add...he has class...) threw a bit of a wobbler, maybe tiredness got the better of me. No apologies to Magoo tho...have to agree to differ....like we do on plastic scooters n boots..... :thumbsup:

Anyway if you aint been to the Cracker its well worth a visit, great venue, superb dancefloor, great danceability (well im sure its a word!!!) all in all a good nite out if.

Helen

XXX

PS thanks for the PM Kev you really are a top bloke. I feel honoured to know you and will continue to support you and this great little soul nite. xx

First time for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Agree with how friendly it is, great bunch of people, dancefloor brill, tunes great - BIG THANKS for playing Duffy :lol: , made my day, (being new to the "scene", I dont know about northern soul politics, I just love the tune and was glad I got the chance to dance to it!)

Will definitely be at the next one.

Perdita

Guest kev such

KEV WHENS THE NEXT ONE

The next Cream Cracker is on the 31st May. Guests for the evening will be Steve Brown Pete Gent and Glynn Whitbread.

See you soon Mark.

Kev

Sorry its taken me a while to post but wanted to give honest feed back bout the nite

As Kev mentioned we were at Wilton for the Allniter as my good friend Shane was DJin there 4.00am - 5.00am. we left in the snow around 7.15 am and after a long cold journey wiva stop 4 brunch n dropping off r mates we got home at around 1.00pm slept till 4.00 jumped in the shower, threw money at the kids n drove back up the motorway with shane n Julie to the Cracker.

We'd raved about this nite to a few mates so we were expecting a few more essex travellers to be there n we werent wrong.....

The most unique thing about this nite is the welcome you get at the door...dont know how they do it but Kev n Karen make every person through the door feel like a personal friend without seeming gushy or insincere. Truely two of the nicest people you could wish to meet.

Great tunes played most of the night especially by Kevkent who played the set of the nite for me with some great RnB tunes and classic oldies with a few little gems thrown in. Not all floor fillers but that in no way an indication of the quality of the tuneage. Dont wanna dwell on the duffy thing but some times its not just about filling the floor at any cost. Must admit the Duffy track did put a damper on things for me (not played by Kevkent i might add...he has class...) threw a bit of a wobbler, maybe tiredness got the better of me. No apologies to Magoo tho...have to agree to differ....like we do on plastic scooters n boots..... whistling.gif

Anyway if you aint been to the Cracker its well worth a visit, great venue, superb dancefloor, great danceability (well im sure its a word!!!) all in all a good nite out if.

Helen

XXX

PS thanks for the PM Kev you really are a top bloke. I feel honoured to know you and will continue to support you and this great little soul nite. xx

Hi Helen, glad you enjoyed your trip up here, seemed everyone had a good night!! As far as the Duffy tune goes, what can i say.............some love it & some hate it.............as it's been pointed out to me many times, "it's a pop record". whistling.gif

Not disagreeing with that, but as you well know, Northern Soul history is littered with tunes that have been classed as of a poppy nature.

Shame that it seemed to upset you though, i played it as my last tune, as i'd been asked by numerous people to play it, rather than an attempt to keep the floor busy at all costs.

Never mind, i'll make sure that i bring the theme from Joe 90 with me, the next time you visit. :lol:

regards,

John Mc. :lol:

Hi Helen, glad you enjoyed your trip up here, seemed everyone had a good night!! As far as the Duffy tune goes, what can i say.............some love it & some hate it.............as it's been pointed out to me many times, "it's a pop record". whistling.gif

Not disagreeing with that, but as you well know, Northern Soul history is littered with tunes that have been classed as of a poppy nature.

Shame that it seemed to upset you though, i played it as my last tune, as i'd been asked by numerous people to play it, rather than an attempt to keep the floor busy at all costs.

Never mind, i'll make sure that i bring the theme from Joe 90 with me, the next time you visit. rolleyes.gif

regards,

John Mc. :lol:

john ive seen a touch of velvet a sting of bass ram the floor, you got that one dave lee travis use to play it :lol:

Guest kev such

First time for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Agree with how friendly it is, great bunch of people, dancefloor brill, tunes great - BIG THANKS for playing Duffy thumbup.gif , made my day, (being new to the "scene", I dont know about northern soul politics, I just love the tune and was glad I got the chance to dance to it!)

Will definitely be at the next one.

Perdita

Great to meet you Perdita. Glad you had a good time.

Politics! on the soul scene? Thats new to me. laugh.gif

Regards

Kev and Karen

Edited by kev such
Guest outonthefloor

Not disagreeing with that, but as you well know, Northern Soul history is littered with tunes that have been classed as of a poppy nature. Do we have to repeat the sins of our fathers?

Never mind, i'll make sure that i bring the theme from Joe 90 with me, the next time you visit. rolleyes.gifDont worry John, save it for the next wedding you dj at.

regards,

John Mc. shades.gif

I dont wanna hijack this look back to what is usually a great nite so i am not going to argue with you.

i can vote with my feet like anyone else can

Personally i dont think this track has any place at a northern soul nite JUST MY OPINION but i am intitled to it just as i am intitled to go elsewhere in future.

Helen

Edited by outonthefloor
Guest outonthefloor

Didnt Duffy used to be on TV in the 70s ...."Please Sir" was'nt it.... whistling.gif

Yeah they don't normally play 70s at the cracker either Jem ..... laugh.gif

XXX

Guest kent soul club

Great tunes played most of the night especially by Kevkent who played the set of the nite for me with some great RnB tunes and classic oldies with a few little gems thrown in. Not all floor fillers but that in no way an indication of the quality of the tuneage. Dont wanna dwell on the duffy thing but some times its not just about filling the floor at any cost. Must admit the Duffy track did put a damper on things for me (not played by Kevkent i might add...he has class...) threw a bit of a wobbler, maybe tiredness got the better of me. No apologies to Magoo tho...have to agree to differ....like we do on plastic scooters n boots..... whistling.gif

biggrin.gif I got a plastic scooter, a few metal scooters and quite a few pairs of boots (me DMs are my favourites!) Best thing about duffy being played was your face, my friend. Wish I'd had me camera tongue.gif

If we all agreed about everything, There wouldn't be no soul!! See you soon luvvie. Magoooooooo.

Helen

XXX

Hi Helen, glad you enjoyed your trip up here, seemed everyone had a good night!! As far as the Duffy tune goes, what can i say.............some love it & some hate it.............as it's been pointed out to me many times, "it's a pop record". :huh:

Never mind, i'll make sure that i bring the theme from Joe 90 with me, the next time you visit. :ohmy:

regards,

John Mc. :ohmy:

Could you bring along the Captain Scarlet theme for me, much better tune in my opinion.... :lol:

I dont wanna hijack this look back to what is usually a great nite so i am not going to argue with you.

i can vote with my feet like anyone else can

Personally i dont think this track has any place at a northern soul nite JUST MY OPINION but i am intitled to it just as i am intitled to go elsewhere in future.

Helen

Ref Duffy - I personally like the record but wouldn't play it at a soul venue. In saying that, if some

one chooses to, it wouldn't put me off a venue for life. Here's a thought - Would it be played if Keb Darge wasn't in the video?...

Len.

THIS POST HAS BEEN, CHECKED, DOUBLE CHECKED AND TREBLE CHECKED...IF YOU ARE IN ANY WAY OFFENDED BY IT...F*CK OFF! NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT YOU!!! (WITHOUT PREJUDICE)

Guest AndyL

Ref Duffy - I personally like the record but wouldn't play it at a soul venue. In saying that, if some

one chooses to, it wouldn't put me off a venue for life. Here's a thought - Would it be played if Keb Darge wasn't in the video?...

Len.

THIS POST HAS BEEN, CHECKED, DOUBLE CHECKED AND TREBLE CHECKED...IF YOU ARE IN ANY WAY OFFENDED BY IT...F*CK OFF! NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT YOU!!! (WITHOUT PREJUDICE)

Ha Len i think your right there mate. I agree i dont mind the tune at all as she is quite a singer Northern Soul? Perhaps not!! Keb Darge ..... Legend!!!

Guest Leigh J

Mercy has all the right ingrediants though , if it wasnt so successful or was played before it was released , like Booker Newbury etc......... It would have been a big big record .

I dont think for a minute the NS fraternity were being targeted , the dancers were just a gimic , a good one.

Guest Bearsy

Mercy has all the right ingrediants though , if it wasnt so successful or was played before it was released , like Booker Newbury etc......... It would have been a big big record .

I dont think for a minute the NS fraternity were being targeted , the dancers were just a gimic , a good one.

Its a great pop record and imho should never be played at a Northern Soul night/nighter, there are so many quality tunes out there that should be getting played instead and if anyone likes Duffy so much just switch on any radio station any time and hear it every hour, you know the stations that never play quality soul music and the type of music we all travel all over for cos its rare and you just cant get enough of :lol:

ps,

CC is on my hit list so see you all up their soon :D

Bearsy

Guest shaunmarie

wotcha kev glad you good night , have to agree with len , its a catchy tune but its got no place in a northern room imo :D

glad to see you playing detroit soul wicked tune should be played out more :lol:

b good shaun :D

Guest outonthefloor

Its a great pop record and imho should never be played at a Northern Soul night/nighter, there are so many quality tunes out there that should be getting played instead and if anyone likes Duffy so much just switch on any radio station any time and hear it every hour, you know the stations that never play quality soul music and the type of music we all travel all over for cos its rare and you just cant get enough of :lol:

ps,

CC is on my hit list so see you all up their soon :D

Bearsy

Couldnt have sed it better myself xxx Try and keep Magoo out of Woolworths or he will be adding it 2 his box next!!!

Saying that the Cracker is a good nite out n worth a vist for sure

Great Crowd, lovely floor, Kid Mohair did a great set there at Christmas along with the dynamic duo (Chris n Moldie) and Kevkent was superb on Sat So they get great guests in too usually....And Kev fills the floor right to the end of the night.

See ya soon

Helen

XXXXX

wotcha kev glad you good night , have to agree with len , its a catchy tune but its got no place in a northern room imo :lol:

glad to see you playing detroit soul wicked tune should be played out more :lol:

b good shaun :D

Now we're getting back on track. :D

Five and a half hours of music - and half the thread concentrates on a controversial two and a half minutes? :lol:

- KevIn Kent.

Guest Bearsy

Couldnt have sed it better myself xxx Try and keep Magoo out of Woolworths or he will be adding it 2 his box next!!!

Saying that the Cracker is a good nite out n worth a vist for sure

Great Crowd, lovely floor, Kid Mohair did a great set there at Christmas along with the dynamic duo (Chris n Moldie) and Kevkent was superb on Sat So they get great guests in too usually....And Kev fills the floor right to the end of the night.

See ya soon

Helen

XXXXX

Kev has booked me for next year Helen so im looking forward to that but i must get up there before then as ive seen the playlists and every lookback has been 99.9% positive :lol: so a must visit venue indeed :D

I am dreading the next Kent Soul Club with Bunny and Magoo fighting over who plays Duffy first :lol::D

Guest kid mohair

Now we're getting back on track. :lol:

Five and a half hours of music - and half the thread concentrates on a controversial two and a half minutes? :D

- KevIn Kent.

Thats the soul scene for ya, one wrong move and you are fuked.. :D great singer duffy,but not at a soul do...........SOZ....imo.. :lol:

Guest outonthefloor

Kev has booked me for next year Helen so im looking forward to that but i must get up there before then as ive seen the playlists and every lookback has been 99.9% positive :lol: so a must visit venue indeed :D

I am dreading the next Kent Soul Club with Bunny and Magoo fighting over who plays Duffy first :lol::D

XXXXLOLOLXXXX

Luckily walls of heartache is on that nite so ive got a lifeline.......Can you just PM me your set in MP3 files so i dont miss it

Helen

XXXX

Edited by outonthefloor