Soul Singers With Unusual Vocal Styles

The other thread prompted me to start this one.

How about soul singers with downright strange or unusual voices, or vocal styles ?

First that comes to mind is Roshell Anderson.

Judging from what was written in Blues n Soul about him at the time in the early 70's, he caused a bit of stir when he surfaced with his LP on Sunburst , Contempo in the UK .

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Love Roshell Anderson's voice.

His "Know What You're Doing When You Leave" and "The Grapevine Will Lie Sometimes" are stone classics!

I also used to play his Jerri outing "Let's Steal Away" as a new release. A great little mover from the Tyrone Davis school with a superb mid ballad flip in "Come On Back".

Though I remember the reaction when he 'burst' onto the scene, I'm sure he gained lots of fans in the Deep soul fraternity and I well recall Dave Godin comparing him to Toussaint McCall at the time.

Also worth picking up his "I'm Cracking Up" again on Sunburst.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Perhaps not as strange as Roshell Anderson, but you can't deny Esther Phillips's remarkable singing style. Sometimes it sounds like her recording booth was filled with helium...still a great singer though!

Cookie Jackson has the same 'helium' voice and the masterful tones of Billy Stewart....maybe more his unusual delivery rather than his voice.....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!