Info wanted

• Replies 7
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Love On A Lease Plan / Me And My Baby - 1963? by Johnny Taylor. This was found on acetate by a collector and released on the bootleg label JOANNE D3001 under the name Johnny Burke.

There's some info on this page of Richie Hardin's site: -

https://www.ritchie-hardin.com/dftmc/list13.html

Have to say - great backing vocals and production for what was supposedly a demo for motown - Listen to Audio

Social source share

Love On A Lease Plan / Me And My Baby - 1963? by Johnny Taylor.  This was found on  acetate by a collector and released on the bootleg label JOANNE D3001 under the name Johnny Burke.

Have to say - great backing vocals and production for what was supposedly a demo for motown - Listen to Audio

Not sure about a demo for Motown cause it's a unissued Groovesville/Solid Hitbond production I think. Can be found on one of Goldmines Groovesville CD's.

It's the Johnny Taylor of Stax fame.

Rob Marriott the first to spin this in the 80's.

Social source share

Chalky - got the info about it being a Motown demo from Kev Robert's sleeve notes - admittedly I was a bit sceptical - but ... er-hm... moving swiftly one...

This will make you laugh - stumbled on this record for sale on detour records web site:-

L.V JOHNSON / JOHNNY TAYLOR - Got To Get Rid Of You / Love On A Lease Farm 7" £5 (MUST be a fat boy slim remix!!!)

(honest - halfway down this page:- https://www.detour-records.co.uk/ska.htm

Social source share

Chalky - got the info about it being a Motown demo from Kev Robert's sleeve notes - admittedly I was a bit sceptical - but ...  er-hm... moving swiftly one...

This will make you laugh - stumbled on this record for sale on detour records web site:-

L.V JOHNSON / JOHNNY TAYLOR - Got To Get Rid Of You / Love On A Lease Farm 7" £5    (MUST be a fat boy slim remix!!!)

(honest - halfway down this page:- https://www.detour-records.co.uk/ska.htm

Is that the Groovesville Review 2 cd? Haven't got that so can't have a look.

Whats a Lease Farm lol

Social source share

Yep - it's on Groovesville Revue - Volume 2 (GSCD 87).

Richie Hardin's Motoen site lists it as:-

1627 Love on a lease plan [Luther Dixon, Solomon Burke, Andre Williams, Carl Tarleton] publ. Myto/Jobete

Johnnie Burke; 10/65; prod. Andre Williams

The answer to WHEN the track was made would help - Dave Rimmer's site says "1963?", Richie's says 1965, and Kev Roberts lists it as 1966, saying - "A week before Don Davis signed Johnny Taylor, they'd demo'd a great side titled Love on a lease plan".

Johnnie Taylor although signed to Stax in 1965, didn't meet with Don Davis until 1968 when they were brought together by Al Bell (Stax executive).

Oh god - i'm confusing myself now... maybe it wasn't Johnnie Taylor at all!

Social source share

Yep - it's on Groovesville Revue - Volume 2 (GSCD 87).

Richie Hardin's Motoen site lists it as:-

1627 Love on a lease plan [Luther Dixon, Solomon Burke, Andre Williams, Carl Tarleton] publ. Myto/Jobete

Johnnie Burke; 10/65; prod. Andre Williams

The answer to WHEN the track was made would help - Dave Rimmer's site says "1963?", Richie's says 1965, and Kev Roberts lists it as 1966, saying -  "A week before Don Davis signed Johnny Taylor, they'd demo'd a great side titled Love on a lease plan".

Johnnie Taylor although signed to Stax in 1965, didn't meet with Don Davis until 1968 when they were brought together by Al Bell (Stax executive).

Oh god - i'm confusing myself now... maybe it wasn't Johnnie Taylor at all!

Been chatting to Andy Dyson, the unissued tape found by Rod Dearlove was a Solid Hit Bound production apparently scheduled to be released on Golden World. The year circa '66.

Way out with 1963 by the looks of things ;-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!