Anyone Seen This?

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest ScooterNik

Ian Levine.... cash in rubbish.... no respect, just trying to make a few quid......

Have I covered the next twelve pages of posts there?

Social source share

Ian Levine.... cash in rubbish.... no respect, just trying to make a few quid......

Have I covered the next twelve pages of posts there?

No.

The production may not be to everyone's taste. But to dismiss this as "cash in rubbish", no matter what your opinion of Levine - the man or his music, is just plain wrong.

IF he ever ends up making anything like "real money" out of this then I would be very surprised.

Like it or not it was a genuine (albeit at times one-sided) attempt to give some of the best loved songs and artistes that make up this genre that we call Northern Soul a one and only (and for some it was because they're now dead) chance to get their stuff out on video to their fans.

Levine has done some great stuff, some good stuff, some mediocre stuff and some right old cack, but at least he's done stuff. This video or DVD is, to my mind, verging on great in places (irrespective of whatever you may think of the video production techniques).

I know that Levine can be his own worst enemy, but to dismiss this video as rubbish is way off the mark.

Phil

Social source share

No.

The production may not be to everyone's taste. But to dismiss this as "cash in rubbish", no matter what your opinion of Levine - the man or his music, is just plain wrong.

IF he ever ends up making anything like "real money" out of this then I would be very surprised.

Like it or not it was a genuine (albeit at times one-sided) attempt to give some of the best loved songs and artistes that make up this genre that we call Northern Soul a one and only (and for some it was because they're now dead) chance to get their stuff out on video to their fans.

Levine has done some great stuff, some good stuff, some mediocre stuff and some right old cack, but at least he's done stuff. This video or DVD is, to my mind, verging on great in places (irrespective of whatever you may think of the video production techniques).

I know that Levine can be his own worst enemy, but to dismiss this video as rubbish is way off the mark.

Phil

i have to agree that no matter how you (we) feel about this man he did actually do a lot for the northern soul scene (not all of it good) but let those without sin cast the first stone.

Social source share

No.

Phil

TSWONS is the most defininitive documentry evidence of the soul scene produced to date.Your opinions of I L are spot on, like him or hate him, he is one of the most important figures in the development of soul musuic in the uk. This is not to dimiss the likes of Richard Searling etc, but the facts stand up for themselves I L has over the years, discovered, played, and broke more records than most of us would be fortuanate enough to see let alone own. Yes I agree, he is his own worst enemy, and his latest project (CD) should be filed under pop,(nothing wrong in that, some good tunes on it) regardless it has little to do with soul, in IMHO.

THE STRANGE WORLD OF NORTHERN SOUL cost an awfull lot more to produce than has been recouped in

revenue, not the first time that IL has put his wallet where is mouth is!!!! also dont forget that NEIL RUSHTON was involved in the production and research of this project, the suggestion from the topic starter that greed is the motive for inception is without foundation.

The effort and determination too track down the artists on TSWONS was a monumental task,the fact that most of them had never been recorded on film is, historic in its own right.

Alongside the artists interviewed, some of the uk's "northern soul" characters????????? stalwarts ??????????????? have a chance to air their opinions and coments,all off wich makes interesting and imformative viewing.

The sound clips were re recorded, to escape copy write infringement, and the formating of this lengthy (10 hour) production are not the best in the word, however it is the only and best attempt yet to document what is truly, "THE STRANGE WORLD OF NORTHERN SOUL" and i would urge all open minded, open eared, soul fans to buy it.

Regards

(no financial involvement)

JOHN FISHER

Social source share

TSWONS is the most defininitive documentry evidence of the soul scene produced to date.Your opinions of I L are spot on, like him or hate him, he is one of the most important figures in the development of soul musuic in the uk. This is not to dimiss the likes of Richard Searling etc, but the facts stand up for themselves I L has over the years, discovered, played, and broke more records than most of us would be fortuanate enough to see let alone own. Yes I agree, he is his own worst enemy, and his latest project (CD) should be filed under pop,(nothing wrong in that, some good tunes on it) regardless it has little to do with soul, in IMHO.

THE STRANGE WORLD OF NORTHERN SOUL cost an awfull lot more to produce than has been recouped in

revenue, not the first time that IL has put his wallet where is mouth is!!!! also dont forget that NEIL RUSHTON was involved in the production and research of this project, the suggestion from the topic starter that greed is the motive for inception is without foundation.

The effort and determination too track down the artists on TSWONS was a monumental task,the fact that most of them had never been recorded on film is, historic in its own right.

Alongside the artists interviewed, some of the uk's "northern soul" characters????????? stalwarts ??????????????? have a chance to air their opinions and coments,all off wich makes interesting and imformative viewing.

The sound clips were re recorded, to escape copy write infringement, and the formating of this lengthy (10 hour) production are not the best in the word, however it is the only and best attempt yet to document what is truly, "THE STRANGE WORLD OF NORTHERN SOUL" and i would urge all open minded, open eared, soul fans to buy it.

Regards

(no financial involvement)

JOHN FISHER

Until someone does something better , which I doubt at the present time , TSWONS - discs 1 , 2 , 3 ( 4 , 5 and 6 are disposable ) - for all of their flaws , will remain the only - and this statement will ruffle a lot of feathers - creditable documentation - and representation - of / about this scene of ours ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Actually I'll tell you what the most annoying thing about these dvd's is: the chaptering. It needed every separate clip to be chaptered, it's not difficult to do, but because it wasn't, if there's a clip on you don't like, you can't just forward it to the end of the song, it jumps ten minutes on. A minor gripe but a pain in the arse having to keep your finger on the FF button.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

and i would urge all open minded, open eared, soul fans to buy it.

I'm coming round to Phil's view on this but I suspect that a true soul fan would actually be better off buying a Kent CD?

SWONS is flawed and was over ambitious, people would probably be more forgiving if it wasn't Ian's work. I'm glad I've watched it all the way through, but I have never felt the desire to watch it again, particularly the artists (sorry). Maybe one day I will, if only for the great interview with Dave Flynn where they have made it look like he has a plant growing out of his head :thumbsup: And thats not Ian's fault, its the cameraman's. But I bet that Ian put him up to it....

Social source share

I'm coming round to Phil's view on this but I suspect that a true soul fan would actually be better off buying a Kent CD?

SWONS is flawed and was over ambitious, people would probably be more forgiving if it wasn't Ian's work. I'm glad I've watched it all the way through, but I have never felt the desire to watch it again, particularly the artists (sorry). Maybe one day I will, if only for the great interview with Dave Flynn where they have made it look like he has a plant growing out of his head :lol: And thats not Ian's fault, its the cameraman's. But I bet that Ian put him up to it....

I think you'll enjoy it much more if you watch it again, if you have to just skip the music and you have a potted history of Northern Soul by most of the main players. I love it, seriously, and you know what I felt about it when it came out!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I think you'll enjoy it much more if you watch it again, if you have to just skip the music and you have a potted history of Northern Soul by most of the main players. I love it, seriously, and you know what I felt about it when it came out!

Yes, you Nazi :lol: At least I had the decency to keep my opinions to myself. :lol:

I only have it on video and I can't be arsed using the remote. How lazy am I getting nowadays? Maybe Mrs T will press the fast forward button for me?

Social source share

Yes, you Nazi :lol: At least I had the decency to keep my opinions to myself. :huh:

I only have it on video and I can't be arsed using the remote. How lazy am I getting nowadays? Maybe Mrs T will press the fast forward button for me?

She may just insert it ! Go Mrs T :ohmy:

See you on the 18th mate :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!